Pink Floyd Boosting Vinyl Sales

News about the band, solo careers, concerts, etc.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Pink Floyd Boosting Vinyl Sales

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:08 pm

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/viny-sales-2018/

It's interesting to see the Floyd partially lead this hipster movement of buying music on vinyl instead of many other superior mediums (guilty!). I'm actually a little surprised at David Bowie being in the top three as well, but maybe his death helped fuel that since Blackstar was released on vinyl?
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

Artisan
The Final Cut

Re: Pink Floyd Boosting Vinyl Sales

Post by Artisan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:40 pm

Bowie would not be at the top if he hadn't died. I love his work, but I never heard ANYBODY talk about him until he died in a spectacularly theatrical display of mystery and retroactive hints on his album. As for Floyd, why pay $20 for a DSOTM that already smells like weed when you can pay $35 for one you can make smell like weed yourself? I'm still perplexed by the persisting myth that the Beatles' late 60s sound effect test records are actually worth listening to, but fools and their money are soon parted. Anything to feed the hungry CEOs at Universal or whoever owns the Apple catalog now.

I will say, based on the URL and the misspelling of that teenybopper band's name, the last letter of certain words seems to elude this writer's keyboard.

I think I'm just bitter because I enjoy collecting records but I don't enjoy paying $8 for scratched Dave Edmunds discs just because "vinyls are hot". And I'm pissed off that it's become acceptable to press a poorly-mastered CD to wax and charge $30 for it. That is lazy, dishonest, and a complete waste of the analogue medium. I shouldn't have to worry that I'm wasting money on cut-from-files BS when I'm flipping through the bin at the flea market. But I've gotten burned there, too.

That said, the Grundman-mastered Saucerful Of Secrets LP is a revelation. Let There Be More Light sounds like an alien visitation from a galaxy where sound is not diluted by human ears or limited gear or awful decisions regarding sound quality. Transcendent! The other ones I have (AHM, Meddle, OBC, Dark Side, Animals) are damned good as well, but ASOS is the only record I own (out of about 100) that truly matches what other people describe "the vinyl experience" as.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:11 pm

In all seriousness, I don't go to them personally for any sort of quality. My thought process is "hey, I like this album and it's only $5, why not?". There is a sort of ASMR kind of experience with the crackle and pop of vinyl, I find it relaxing in a weird way. I don't even avoid dirty discs or anything because I'm a heathen and like the "character". I only really avoid discs with major scratches across them or if they're warped to hell.
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:29 pm

I did have a flea market seller who sold "small-ticket artists" (i.e. not Beatles, Stones, Zappa, Dylan, huge names/premium artists like that) for $2/record, or $15 for 10 records. It's insanely difficult to not go for that deal, and indeed I did pick up a few records I'll probably never play just because they were cheap.

I try to limit my record collection simply because they're so bulky and I have so little space in my house. My recording room and the gear within has become a dumping ground for all the stuff we don't have space for elsewhere in the house and is unusable. I need to stop acquiring stuff. Damn this addiction.