The Later Years boxset + rumours for 2020

News about the band, solo careers, concerts, etc.
Dyolf
Animals

The Later Years boxset + rumours for 2020

Post by Dyolf » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:55 pm

The Later Years 1987 – 2019 boxset

So, here's the next over-priced boxset from the Pink Floyd cash cow.

Contents:

CDs
  • A Momentary Lapse of Reason - remixed and updated. Nick Mason has re-recorded most, if not all, of the drum parts and Rick Wright's keyboard performances from the '87-'89 tours have been lifted and inserted into the album to make it feel less 80s and more like a classic Floyd album.
  • Delicate Sound of Thunder – expanded and remixed. The hugely successful live album which they released in 1988 has been expanded to include all the songs performed on the tour, which had previously been unreleased: "Signs of Life", "A New Machine (Part 1)", "Terminal Frost", "A New Machine (Part 2)", "On the Run", "The Great Gig in the Sky", "Welcome to the Machine", and "One Slip".
  • 1987 & 1994 unreleased live and studio recordings. The first half of the CD appears to be the live versions which were included as single B-sides; we also get a version of "Nervana" which appears on the Endless River blu-ray. The rest seems to be demos from 1994.
  • Live at Knebworth 1990. The 1990 charity concert in aid of Nordoff-Robins Music Therapy which Pink Floyd headlined. The full set has never been released but portions of it have been released on CD, VHS and DVD in the past.
Blu-rays / DVDs
The BDs and DVDs contain the same content, but the BDs are obviously in higher res.
  • A Momentary Lapse of Reason – remixed and updated. Presented in 5.1 and stereo.
  • The Division Bell 2014 remix. I assume this is the same 5.1 and stereo mixes included in the 2014 Division Bell boxset.
  • Unreleased studio recordings. As per the CD above but presumably in 5.1.
  • Delicate Sound of Thunder - The film digitally remastered (and assumedly upscaled) and remixed. No extra tracks like the CD, it's the same film polished up.
  • Pulse – restored and re-edited. The 1994 Pulse film which has been, I assume from the title, digitally remastered, re-edited (different camera angles?) and remixed.
  • Venice concert. Filmed in Venice in 1989 for a live TV broadcast and the show which saw the Venetian government ban similar events in the city ever again. Heavily bootlegged but never officially released.
  • Knebworth concert. The same as the CD above, but the film version released in full for the first time.
  • Music videos for the singles released from 1987-2014.
  • Bonus tracks from Delicate Sound of Thunder and 1994 rehearsals.
  • Concert screen films used for the tours between 1987 - 1994.
  • Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame Induction with "Wish You Were Here" performed with Billy Corgan.
  • Documentaries and unreleased material. This includes the final Pink Floyd performance - the Syd Barrett tribute show in 2007; the AMLOR album cover photo-shoot; Pulse 1995 TV ad; The Endless River video; Behind the Scenes of The Division Bell tour, and more.
Other stuff
  • Two 7-inch vinyls. The first is a recording of "Arnold Layne" from the 2007 Syd Barrett tribute show. The second is "Lost for Words" recorded at the 1994 tour rehearsal.
  • 60-page hardback photo book.
  • Replica tour programmes.
  • Lyric book.
  • The usual postcards, replica tickets, posters, etc we've gotten used to with these Pink Floyd releases.
Full list of contents can be found here.

Now, to me there are some glaring omissions from this box:

1. The Live 8 performance.
2. The Omni recordings.
3. A 5.1 mix of the original AMLOR.
4. The La Carrera Panamericana film and soundtrack.
5. Pulse album, remixed and expanded.

The Official Pink Floyd Store is currently charging £399 to pre-order this, and Amazon UK are charging £429.99. Seeing as this box is no-where near the size of the Early Years box, I think the record company are fucking us about by charging the same for this.

There will also be a "highlights" CD and double-LP released for those who cannot afford, or are unwilling to pay, the rather hefty price-tag. The CD and double-LP have the same tracklisting:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live at Knebworth)
2. Marooned Jam (unreleased 1994 recording)
3. One Slip (2019 AMLOR re-edit)
4. Lost for Words (1994 tour rehearsal)
5. Us and Them (Delicate Sound of Thunder, 2019 remix)
6. Comfortably Numb (live at Knebworth)
7. Sorrow (2019 AMLOR re-edit)
8. Learning to Fly (Delicate Sound of Thunder, 2019 remix)
9. High Hopes (early version; unreleased 1994 recording)
10. On the Turning Away (2019 AMLOR re-edit)
11. Wish You Were Here (live at Knebworth)
12. Run Like Hell (Delicate Sound of Thunder, 2019 remix)

Rumours for 2020

There appears to be a good Pink Floyd or record company insider who has predicted a lot of Pink Floyd releases over the recent years. He has also said that there is to be an Animals boxset in 2020 along with an Atom Heart Mother box to celebrate its 50th anniversary which is slated to include the whole Montreux show - only part of which was included in the Early Years box.
Pencampwriaeth y Chwe Gwlad 2020 The Six Nations Championship 2020

Wales v Italy
Ireland v Wales
Wales v France
England v Wales
Wales v Scotland

Dyolf
Animals

Re: The Later Years boxset + rumours for 2020

Post by Dyolf » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 pm

There's something in this box called "The Endless River video" which I assumed would be some of the weird nautical footage we saw in the "Louder Than Words" video and promos, strung together into a short EPK or something, but no! it is, in fact, a full 50-minute short-film to accompany the album (in 5.1 and stereo I imagine).

I've pre-ordered my copy from Amazon US because buying it from there + postage + import tax is still way cheaper than buying it from any retailer here.
Pencampwriaeth y Chwe Gwlad 2020 The Six Nations Championship 2020

Wales v Italy
Ireland v Wales
Wales v France
England v Wales
Wales v Scotland