Pink Floyd Albums Ranked

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Re: Pink Floyd Albums Ranked

Postby Artisan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:28 am

I do?? Wow. It's always been at 2 for me, maybe sometimes fighting with Atom Heart Mother. The only way it would be lower than 3 is if I count Ummagumma's live disc as a separate album and put AHM at 2 or 3. Maybe I did that. I can't be bothered to look. Whatever I said it wasn't as good as, apart from Animals and AHM, I was wrong.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:54 am

Yeah, the list I have on file for you (for the community rank) is as follows:

1. Animals
2. Atom Heart Mother
3. The Dark Side of the Moon
4. Meddle
5. The Final Cut
6. Wish You Were Here
7. A Saucerful of Secrets
8. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
9. Obscured by Clouds
10. The Division Bell
11. The Endless River
12. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
13. Ummagumma
14. Soundtrack from the Film More
15. The Wall
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:51 pm

Meddle over TFC? Dark Side at 3? What the hell is OBC doing so low? I think my account got hacked and the hacker posted that. Or maybe I am just a hack. Who knows. I'd try again but I just got off a 12 hour shift running crap around. I'll try later
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:55 am

I've been into Pink Floyd for almost one-quarter of my life now, and unlike The Beatles (which I only got into like a year or two before the Floydsters), I'm not even remotely sick of this material yet because it still finds a way to resonate with me in a way that no other band can do on a lyrical or sonic level. I think my tastes for this band have finally hit that point where they really won't change any more.

1. The Endless River
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Animals
4. Atom Heart Mother
5. The Division Bell
6. The Dark Side of the Moon
7. Obscured by Clouds
8. The Wall
9. A Saucerful of Secrets
10. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
11. Meddle
12. Ummagumma
13. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
14. Soundtrack from the Film More
00. Final Cut unranked
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:12 am

The Wall above Saucerful for you? Wow, never would have guessed!

Funny you slaughter Final Cut there... I was just thinking how much I love that album this morning! :lol:

I haven't listened to the albums in a while, nor have I looked at my previous rankings, but why not? It's 4 AM and I can't sleep, might as well! This is based on how much I enjoy the albums, not how I'd objectively rate them - for instance, Wish You Were Here is a 10/10 but I don't think I'd cry if I never heard it again. Final Cut is probably an 8 or 9 but I love listening to it so much I'm ranking it higher than it belongs.

1. Animals
2. Atom Heart Mother
3. Dark Side of the Moon
4. The Final Cut
5. Obscured By Clouds
6. A Saucerful of Secrets
7. Meddle
8. Ummagumma
9. The Endless River
10. Piper at the Gates of Dawn
11. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
12. The Division Bell
13. Wish You Were Here
14. More
15. The Wall

I think in my previous lists I did it objectively based on my ratings, which would have put WYWH in the top 6 despite the fact that I never listen to it. It's been so long since I listened to this band obsessively though... I need to do that again.

My attempt to condense The Wall failed miserably, but I did discover that it's actually really easy to seamlessly extend Is There Anybody Out There. I've been readjusting my digital library for some time - I think I'll focus on Floyd next and do a revised version of The Wall, extending ITAOT and dropping Fuck You entirely.

Incidentally, not that long ago I heard the song playing from another room. Also not that long ago, I vomited fairly ferociously. Is there a correlation? You decide.

EDIT: My opinion seems to have flip-flopped a whole lot in this thread. There's a general 6-perfect-albums, 2-dud-albums, whatever-else-in-the-middle structure to most of them but it's interesting to see how the numbers change when I can't remember my mindset while writing them.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:56 pm

I used to try and rank mine as "factually" as I could. I'd break down each track by lyrics, music, mood, etc. and sort of come up with percentage scores for each album. That's just so mechanical and tedious that I decided to start fresh, not look at any tracklists, and just let how much I enjoy listening to an album and how often I come back to an album determine my rank. Is the second half of The Wall inconsistent and drab? Of course! But I still get a guilty pleasure out of listening to tracks like "Waiting for the Worms" full blast in my ear buds whether the song is any good or not. I just let my pure enjoyment decide this list rather than any attempt at logic.

Also I didn't necessarily slaughter The Final Cut, it's just that it's a great album in some aspects, and a terrible album in others, and it just cannot align with my tastes. I don't want to bash the album because it's really a good album at what it does, but I am incapable of listening to it because I loathe it so much. So I just leave it out to be as fair as I can to it.
Alec Taylor

Previous

Return to Band Discussion