The Endless River discussion

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Your favourite "Side"?

Side 1 (Things Left Unsaid - It's What We Do - Ebb and Flow)
17%
Side 2 (Sum - Skins - Unsung - Anisina)
17%
Side 3 (The Lost Art of Conversation - On Noodle Street - Night Light - Allons-y (1) - Autumn '68 - Allons-y (2) - Talkin' Hawkin')
67%
Side 4 (Calling - Eyes to Pearls - Surfacing - Louder Than Words)
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: The Endless River discussion

Postby Dyolf » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Artisan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised though if there are people who check those sites too. Copyright law, especially in the US, is pretty strict. In fact, I'm sure all of these words have been used in copyrighted material in the past, so I should be expecting a visit from the copyright police soon enough. Let me do something original... Hgtsoriasotiiyv. Has that been said yet?

A file called "LTW.mp3" won't draw any attention when hosted on something like Freehosts (if that's still going), especially if there's no description with it. They usually delete files after some time anyway for free accounts.
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Artisan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Youtube has a system in place where they scan for even one second of copyrighted material and then slam that account with a copyright strike - even if the copyright holder gave permission and approves of the video. There's no way there aren't bots on these sites trying to find the same things.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Dyolf » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Artisan wrote:Youtube has a system in place where they scan for even one second of copyrighted material and then slam that account with a copyright strike - even if the copyright holder gave permission and approves of the video. There's no way there aren't bots on these sites trying to find the same things.

Most of these sites don't care, I used to use them to share bootlegs. YouTube is huge and is constantly under pressure to curb copyright infringement. And I'm not even sure they could check the contents of .zip files. And if they can they would be up long enough for anyone here to download them before they were removed.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Artisan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Well that is a point, but people do that on Youtube too. I'll agree that infringing on copyright is indeed criminal, but the practices they're using to fight against it are tyrannical and almost equally as criminal. I mean, hell, Sunshade put in his description that it fit under copyright law and they ignored it. He can't even profit from that! "HE'S STEALING OUR MONEY! KILL HIM!"

Things are so money-centric and there's no regard for common sense anymore. We can spy on you as long as we say it's for the purpose of targeted advertisements. That's perfectly acceptable to invade peoples' privacy in order to custom-tailor shit that they don't want to pester them constantly. Just as long as they don't use one byte of our precious copyrighted material.

And you're right, people will download copyrighted stuff before it can get found/claimed, and that's how it's always going to be. But today's practices are complete and utter bullshit. Hell, Sunshade was giving that song free publicity. "NO! PEOPLE CANNOT HEAR THIS SONG UNLESS THEY PAY US! THEIR OPINION CANNOT BE FORMED UNTIL THERE IS NO CHANCE OF THEM GETTING THEIR MONEY BACK."

Done ranting about this for now.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:05 pm

The sad thing is that I technically had that same song on SoundCloud twice, but it only got clocked for copyright once. My song "Rain Fight: スベタ!" from my vaporwave project Coral Condensation (パート 2) is actually that very same "Louder Than Words" instrumental remix, but because it's at 85% speed and has a high pass filter over it, the content ID system can't figure out what it is. So I guess from that perspective, it's still available in vaporwave form. Maybe I'll do future remixes at about 95% speed or something that's virtually unnoticeable to people but would trip up the bots.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:52 pm

Alright, I am finally able to deliver on my long-promised instrumental remix of "Talkin' Hawkin'". It wasn't as easy to do as the "Louder Than Words" remix, as the instrumental sections didn't match up as well, but nevertheless it's fairly smooth until one of the transitions. I don't think it's too distracting, but I can always try it again. I couldn't for the life of me remove the "Keep Talking" sound byte from the end of the song without distorting the music, and didn't think it right to cut the song short there, so it's still there. I also just removed the "Allons-y (2)" segue from the beginning and cut some of the noodling off of the end.

It's whatever I guess.
Alec Taylor

Postby Vegetable Layne » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:10 am

I'm sad to admit it, but I listened to this album again last week and it did absolutely nothing to me. I still like Anisina and Talkin' Hawkin', but the rest of the album is boring and bland from beginning to end in my ears.

Maybe I just listened to it too often in the past, but that's how I feel right now.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:27 am

Well that's how I feel about Wish You Were Here so don't feel too bad. Probably overdosed on it. Take it in moderation and you should be good.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:51 pm

And that's how I feel about Dark Side of the Moon. But I still love Wish You Were Here and The Endless River just as much as I always have. :mrgreen:
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:24 am

I think The Endless River is a pretty 21st Century Pink Floyd album. Gilmour went into this with the intention of making it 5.1 from the off, rather than the older albums which have been remixed into 5.1. I've listened to this on CD, vinyl, and Blu-ray and I must say that the 5.1 mix sounds, to me, like the "standard", default version - the one we're meant to hear, the one they intended for us to hear. Listening to this album in 5.1, very loud, in a darkened room is great, it's a very atmospheric album and even the lesser tracks like "On Noodle Street", "Eyes to Pearls", "Night Light", "Calling" and "The Lost Art of Conversation" all make more sense in this setting.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby gunnersnightmare » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:28 am

i thought it was meh, really could have used roger's lyrics on a lot of tracks.
gunnersnightmare
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhFHghCw2H0

Found this baller little compilation on YouTube. It's a bootleg of The Division Bell outtakes, and it's of pretty good sound quality. What's noteworthy about it, you may ask? Well, given the thread I've posted it in, it's because there are some working versions of The Endless River tracks on here! From what I can tell, it's got the prototypes for "Allons-y", "Anisina", "TBS14", and another track that sounds absolutely amazing that I haven't heard anywhere else. These versions sound a little more "Floydian" and less modern for sure.
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:30 pm

gunnersnightmare wrote:i thought it was meh, really could have used roger's lyrics on a lot of tracks.

Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:00 am

SunShade wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhFHghCw2H0

Found this baller little compilation on YouTube. It's a bootleg of The Division Bell outtakes, and it's of pretty good sound quality. What's noteworthy about it, you may ask? Well, given the thread I've posted it in, it's because there are some working versions of The Endless River tracks on here! From what I can tell, it's got the prototypes for "Allons-y", "Anisina", "TBS14", and another track that sounds absolutely amazing that I haven't heard anywhere else. These versions sound a little more "Floydian" and less modern for sure.

Okay, so after careful listening, I realized something about these outtakes. "Untitled #4" is the basis for "TBS14", which is obvious. However, the ending segment of this demo doesn't match the ending segment of "TBS14". It's actually the ending segment for "What Do You Want From Me?", but with a much different arrangement. Like, what a difference the style makes, huh?
Alec Taylor

Previous

Return to Band Discussion