100 Most dissapointing albums

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Re: 100 Most dissapointing albums

Postby The Silver Lining » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:38 pm

This thread got hijacked big time, but I am thoroughly enjoying the subject of the word "dank".

I just dug around a little, and it turns out that "dank" has been used for a long time as a noun, to refer to very strong marijuana. From there, it has evolved back into an adjective that means what I described in my last post.

Needless to say, these meanings are only valid in very informal usage. Reddit has has caught on to it big-time, but I wouldn't be surprised if most people have still never heard the word being used this way.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Funny, those are all adjectives I would use to describe the places where memes like that originate. I think they're becoming self aware and fortifying themselves by changing criticism against them into empowerment. I don't give a damn, dank still means shitty.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:04 pm

Getting the thread back on track...

Yeah, I totally understand how Dank Floyd's A Memetary Lapse of Dank would be seen as a dankappointment to some people expecting a continuation of something like The Dank or The Final Dank.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Mementary made me laugh. Clever one, that. The rest is just musty and cold and swamplike and generally dank.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:29 pm

They sure had to smoke a lot of dank to create those albums.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:48 pm

But actually getting back on track, although I don't agree that Lapse is a disappointment in the continuity of Pink Floyd music, I think it's a fair criticism. As much as it pains me to say this, from an overall point of view as being artistic compositions, The Final Cut is the better album by far. In terms of enjoyment, Lapse is so far ahead that it's not even funny. But I will concede that The Final Cut is a "better" product (I mean, one guy basically made this entire album, it turned out exactly how he wanted it to, and there's no misconceptions about its meaning or purpose), as opposed to Lapse (inconsistent sound, weak lyrics, mostly meaningless tracks, dozens of non-Floyds involved in songwriting and performing) from an artistic point of view.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:33 am

Goes to show how many aspects there are to making a good album. I always find it interesting when people directly compare The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason with each other, and then proceed to claim that one is objectively good and the other is objectively bad. If the genius of TFC would have been thrown together with the genius of AMLoR, I think we could have had another classic, but they are both lacking a lot of stuff individually.

I feel this way about all post-"The Wall" albums, by the way. AMLoR, TDB, Roger's entire solo catalog, and even The Endless River, they all weren't able to produce the combination of awesome sound, concepts, compositions and lyrics that Pink Floyd were famous for during their prime time.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:49 pm

I'd argue that holding The Endless River to a certain lyrical standard is a bit unfair towards the album since it's instrumental, because it's honestly the only album after Wish You Were Here to feel like a true Pink Floyd album. I'm actually sort of surprised that The Division Bell wasn't on the original list; I figured more people would be disappointed that the band made something "nostalgic" and "derivative" after getting the old songwriting team back together.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:39 pm

I think the reason why TDB isn't on the list is because it's instrumentation at least sounds like Pink Floyd used to sound. I personally hate the album, but I know that many Pink Floyd love it, and that people went crazy for it when it was first released.

I didn't mean to hold TER against any lyrical standard, by the way -- that was just a result of summing up a few albums. It does lack a really good concept (other than simple reverence), and definitely lacks good songwriting. That one part with "On Noodle Street" and "The Lost Art of Conversation" is really strange, boring filler, for instance.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:50 pm

"The Lost Art of Conversation" to me is just very Broken China in style. Same with "Calling" (no coincidence there, since that track was written by and features Anthony Moore). "On Noodle Street" is definitely filler, but the first time I heard it, it created a very specific mental image in my head, and ever since I found a location near me that fit that exact image once, I can't help but give it a pass now because it holds that strange artsy reason for me. Also I just hold The Endless River to a very high level of admiration, since it's my #2 Floyd album still to this day.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:21 pm

I love On Noodle Street. Bouncy little bass line is fun. I consider it the brother of Eyes To Pearls which also has a looping riff. Lost Art Of Conversation is wonderful as well. The last five seconds that kick into Noodle Street are so Rick I'm not convinced they didn't bring him back from the dead to play it. (Yes, I know, it was recorded before he died, but it just feels so real!)
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Artisan wrote:The last five seconds that kick into Noodle Street are so Rick

Sort of reminds me of the transition chords in "Breathe" a little bit, which was also all Rick.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 pm

I agree that those songs sound nice, but doesn't anyone else think they could have done more with those riffs than just slap 1:30 of those riffs onto the album?
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:30 pm

It probably all depends on how much Rick stuff they had to work with. I'm sure they could have done some looping here and there to make them long, but that didn't always work. You can tell that there was something wrong with the piano track recorded by Rick for what would become "Talkin' Hawkin'", because you can hear each loop begin with a scratching sound that at first glance seems like just an ordinary crash cymbal until you really investigate it. If it were a crash, it would be smooth, but it starts rather abruptly and doesn't decay right. It's not supposed to be there, and must be something wrong with the piano that they didn't want to re-record.
Alec Taylor

Previous

Return to Band Discussion