Kettles and Bacon (AHM Article)

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Kettles and Bacon (AHM Article)

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:55 pm

https://www.loudersound.com/features/th ... art-mother

Really good read about the making of Atom Heart Mother, with some behind-the-scenes stuff I'd never read anywhere else before. Includes my new favorite quote from Rick:

"In the summer of ’68 there were groupies everywhere. They’d come and look after you like a personal maid… and leave you with a dose of the clap." -Richard "Big Dick Rick" Wright
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

Artisan
The Final Cut

Re: Kettles and Bacon (AHM Article)

Post by Artisan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:40 pm

That was a fantastic article, thanks for sharing! I had no idea the rhythm tracks were one continuous take. Roger and Nick weren't flashy by any means, but when they need to get the job done, they get it done. Animals is still the best Floyd album in my book, but AHM is probably my favorite: makes me happy whenever I put it on. And Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast would be much better regarded if people would look past the sound effects and listen to the actual music. The pieces are kind of meandering jams, but they're great, and Floyd never did anything else like them! Chomp chomp.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:00 pm

The music on "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" has always struck me as a more polished version of the stuff they did for Zabriskie Point. I think the article really helps put it all into perspective about this album being the big experimental breakthrough for the band. It's easy now to see silly egg sounds as being a throwaway compared to the cash register rhythms of "Money" or something like that, but in the context of 1970 this was the first true blue studio album made by this four-piece band. There's a reason it was their first Number 1 record, it was the first Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason album that felt like the whole band was behind it.
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:44 am

I agree, AHM is their breakthrough in how they wanted to approach the experimental stuff. I think that their first albums were too much "out there". You could tell that they had amazing talent but the experimentation led to some music that was always going to be disliked by people who listen to mainstream media. Atom Heart Mother is much more poppy; the experimentation was much more under control and no longer sounded like a parody of itself.

Still, to think that they evolved from AHM to Dark Side of the Moon in just a few years... Damn. Those guys were great at reinventing themselves.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.