Make/Change a PF album

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Make/Change a PF album

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:57 am

Hello everyone. I've stambled upon this site that presented, to quote, "What if Syd Barrett hadn't been dismissed from Pink Floyd" albums. From what I gather, he made three Barrett-esque albums through editing some of Barrett's own material with late '60's Floyd material, and mixing them or what not. I've not heard of any of them, but thought I'd share:

http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.gr/ ... nk%20floyd

Anyway, the above gave me an idea for a revamped version of the Lost Pink Floyd Album (NOT the Zabriskie Point), called Projected Sounds, that was released AND pulled from circulation in 2008 (I have a thread for that one here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=125), which, as is, presents a decent what-if of how "Saucerful of Secrets" might've been like, had Barrett not left the band in 1968.

So anyway, I thought, the listing was good, and the unreleased stuff is indeed great, but some of the songs in there have been available on previous albums - "See Emily Play" in the "1967: The First Three Singles" cd, and "Remember A Day", "Corporal Clegg", "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" and "Jugband Blues" are all in "A Saucerful of Secrets" album. So I thought, could they have been possibly replaced by other, fitting Barrett material?

And here's what I came up with:

"I'm a King Bee" is, as we all know, the B-side to the A-Side "Lucy Leave", so that made for a logical replacement to "See Emily Play". Next up was "Remember A Day" and "Corporal Clegg", a Wright and Waters compositions each, and while there was no actual Floyd stuff that could've been used in their place, I decided to go with the two Barrett tracks that haven't been of his trilogy of solo albums ("Madcap for Laughs", "Barrett" and "Opel"), "Two of a Kind", a Wright composition (by his and Gilmour's admission, despite what Barret insisted) and "Bob Dylan Blues", both of which were allegedly written by him during his early Floyd days - ToaK during the "Piper at Gates of Dawn", BDB in 1965, during the Bob Klose period - but were never recorded with the band. Instead, they were recorded sometime in 1970, one of which during a John Peel show. I decided to include those because, musically they fit with the "Lucy Leave"/"I'm a King Bee" jazz-like influences, and because, at least in my personal opinion, I think they might've eventually been recorded by them, had Barrett not left.

Next up is "Silas Lane", an outtake that was recorded when the band was trying to breakout - "Interstellar Overdrive" was also part of that effort - which is just a nice two and a half minutes of the band jamming. After that, I thought if the album was to have "Interstellar Overdrive" again, it might as well be the longest, most definitive version of it, found in the "London '66-'67" album, one that contained this and "Nick's Boogie", which I also decided it should replace STCFTHoTS, given that they're quite alike, mood-wise (and I think N'sB served as a basis for the other one, but I'm not sure). Finally, I decide to leave out "Jugband Blues" completely, as it really does serve as a nice, albeit sad end entry in the Saucerful album, thus making "Vegetable Man" the final song here, and IMO, fittingly, as it premedicates the change in both Barrett's psyche and the band's ominum shift from his psychedelic/jazz-influenced era to the prog rock band its become since.

So now, I think this is a nice companion album to "Saucerful of Secrets", and a decent follow-up to "1967: The First Three Singles" (preferably one with a couple of alternate takes) and "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" albums, with some decent songs and some great ones (ItB, STLS, VM) as the last Syd Barret-led Pink Floyd album (albeit fan-created) before the transitional "Saucerful of Secrets".

Anyway, what do you think? And what would your imaginary Pink Floyd album be, based on unreleased material at least?
Last edited by Vegetable Layne on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: Make/Change a PF album

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:18 am

I've made one of my own before, but I stayed away from any bootlegs that I could and focused on material that was definitely 1968 Floyd or 1968 Barrett.

https://sites.google.com/site/eclipseof ... s/whatif_3
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:31 pm

Pretty good! Definitely looks like a legitimate second Barrett album - my attempt was more in keeping with the exisiting edition of Saucerful and 1967: The First Three Singles, but yous is closer to what would've been, most likely.

Has anyone attempted to do a mix of The Final Cut with A Momentary Lapse of Reason? The albums are pretty equal on my ears - TFC has great lyrics, temp and pace, but AMLOR is has the energy and liveliness of Floyd, certainly from the pre-Wall days. So I was wondering if anyone attempted, or thought of a version of an album that united them somehow - in spite of the obvious fact that TFC is a very strict concept album and AMLOR, well, isn't.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:02 pm

That would definitely be a challenge...I wouldn't even know where to start with that one! I recently thought about trying to mix all of the Gilmour/Wright collaboration tracks from both The Division Bell and The Endless River into a hypothetical album Down to Earth, but haven't gotten very far into it yet.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:58 am

Thr Wall. Drop Hey You, replace Empty Spaces with What Shall We Do Now (if they start out the same way, I can't remember but preserve the Empty Spaces section in any case, and extend the acoustic segment of Is There Anybody Out There (find the 6-minute version on Youtube.) also cut out the buzzy worms in the beginning of that song.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:21 am

I did some work on Ummagumma. I found a live version of "Interstellar Overdrive" that was supposed to make the album, and I stuck it in after "Astronomy Domine" to round out the live side. Since "The Embryo" was also supposed to make the album, I stuck it on after "The Grand Vizier's Garden Party", so the band song would follow the solo songs. It makes for a nice listen, since the post-Barrett "Interstellar Overdrive" is quite cerebral.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:44 am

I'd change Dark Side of the Moon, only to remove Clare Torry's songwriting credits from it again. :twisted:
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:27 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:I'd change Dark Side of the Moon, only to remove Clare Torry's songwriting credits from it again. :twisted:
Wtf :lol:

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:48 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:I'd change Dark Side of the Moon, only to remove Clare Torry's songwriting credits from it again. :twisted:
It's only a formality. And the version of TGGITS using the Apollo 13 1972 Moon-landing recording is amazing. It's in the DSOTM Immersion box. It includes the version of the album which "almost was". It doesn't have "Speak to Me", any of the recorded voices, no Clare Torry, no guitar on the "Us and Them" intro and other stuff. Apparently this was almost the finished album, but changes were made last-minute. It's well worth a listen.
Pencampwriaeth y Chwe Gwlad 2020 The Six Nations Championship 2020

Wales v Italy
Ireland v Wales
Wales v France
England v Wales
Wales v Scotland

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:01 pm

In light of The Endless River, I'd change the order of a couple of songs in the, IMO, already nearly-perfect Echoes best-of compilation: I'd take Arnold Layne, and have it open CD1. In place of it in CD2, I'd place a remastered (or mastered, lol) version of Vegetable Man. And, after Bike, I'd place Louder than Words.

DeepSubmergeRMM
Ummagumma

Post by DeepSubmergeRMM » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:30 pm

SunShade wrote:
She doesn't deserve it. "scatting" is not writing.

She has a great voice but holy hot damn she is an obnoxious person. Anybody ever listen to an interview with her? She's intolerable. Her head is so far up her own ass.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:51 pm

DeepSubmergeRMM wrote:
SunShade wrote:
She doesn't deserve it. "scatting" is not writing.

She has a great voice but holy hot damn she is an obnoxious person. Anybody ever listen to an interview with her? She's intolerable. Her head is so far up her own ass.
I don't like the fact that she waited 30 or so years before she decided to file a lawsuit for royalies. What she was paid does seem low by today's standards, but that was the going studio rate at the time.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:10 am

To me it's quite clear that she just needed money and saw a nice opportunity. If that wasn't the reason, then indeed, she'd have done it sooner.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:39 am

SunShade wrote:That would definitely be a challenge...I wouldn't even know where to start with that one!
OK, I had some rough thoughts about, here's my track list A Momentary Cut:

1. "The Post War Dream"
2. "Your Possible Pasts"
3. "One of the Few"
4. "When The Tiger's Broke Free"
5. "Terminal Frost"
6. "The Hero's Return Pt. 1"
7. "The Gunner's Dream"
8. "The Hero's Return Pt. 2"
9. "Paranoid Eyes"
10. "Sorrow"

11. "Yet Another Movie"/"Round and Around"
12. "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert"
13. "The Fletcher Memorial Home"
14. "Southampton Dock"
15. "The Final Cut"
16. "Not Now John"
17. "Two Suns in the Sunset"
18. "Signs of Life"
19. "Learning to Fly"
20. "On the Turning Away"

I just thought it was important to keep the narrative of Waters' lyrics intact, while also adding more Gilmour, and naturally Wright to the proceedings. I wanted to add One Slip, but I don't think it would fit at all.

Anyway, what do you think?

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:10 am

Vegetable Layne wrote:
SunShade wrote:That would definitely be a challenge...I wouldn't even know where to start with that one!
OK, I had some rough thoughts about, here's my track list A Momentary Cut
Quite nice track listing, but the reason Waters kept Gilmour down is because he didn't write any material. Also, if he did write material, it would most likely be his content from his 1984 solo album (whose name escapes me) that includes some of the minimal amount of music he wrote from that period, not his Pink Floyd revival album. Nice setlist, but I would argue against its historical value.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:52 am

I had a simple idea. It didn't really take a lot thought, and is probably a waste of forum space...but what the hell?

Pink Floyd's Down to Earth (1994)

Disc 1-
1. Cluster One
2. What Do You Want From Me?
3. Poles Apart
4. Marooned
5. A Great Day for Freedom
6. Wearing the Inside Out
7. Take It Back
8. Coming Back to Life
9. Keep Talking
10. Lost for Words
11. Ebb and Flow

Disc 2-
1. Sum
2. Skins
3. Unsung
4. Anisina
5. The Lost Art of Conversation
6. On Noodle Street
7. Night Light
8. Allons-y
9. Talkin' Hawkin'
10. High Hopes

Down to Earth was the working title for The Division Bell, which was also meant to be a double album featuring the material that ended up on The Endless River. I excluded Sides 1 and 4 because of them being clear tributes to Rick and his unspoken influence over the band. Side 2 was preserved. Side 3 has "Autumn '68" removed because that probably wouldn't have been on the album then (since Rick was alive and well). "High Hopes" still ends the piece. "Ebb and Flow" ends the first disc because of its 'calm-down' nature.

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:02 am

SunShade wrote:I had a simple idea. It didn't really take a lot thought, and is probably a waste of forum space...but what the hell?

Hmm... I would make Endless River songs mixed in with the Division Bell ones, instead of an entire instrumental side + High Hopes. Quite nice though

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:43 pm

Straw wrote:
Vegetable Layne wrote:
OK, I had some rough thoughts about, here's my track list A Momentary Cut
Quite nice track listing, but the reason Waters kept Gilmour down is because he didn't write any material. Also, if he did write material, it would most likely be his content from his 1984 solo album (whose name escapes me) that includes some of the minimal amount of music he wrote from that period, not his Pink Floyd revival album. Nice setlist, but I would argue against its historical value.
I understand what you're saying, and you're right. If Gilmour did actually contribute for The Final Cut in some alternate reality, the songs probably wouldn't have been the above ones.

However, my intent with the listing was more to toy with the idea of fusing Waters' personal PF album with David Gilmour's and see if it could work feasibily. And in my opinion, it mostly works - mostly because TFC now has the kind of rythm it was missing from before, while retaining its sombre, personal tone.

But thats just me, of course. :)

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:39 pm

I'm gonna try to compile a "Requiem for Syd's Sanity" album. There's quite a lot of material for that.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:23 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:I'm gonna try to compile a "Requiem for Syd's Sanity" album. There's quite a lot of material for that.
What sort of material does that entail? I am intrigued. ;)

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:28 pm

SunShade wrote:
The Silver Lining wrote:I'm gonna try to compile a "Requiem for Syd's Sanity" album. There's quite a lot of material for that.
What sort of material does that entail? I am intrigued. ;)
Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here, Brain Damage, Welcome To The Machine, all that kind of thing I'm guessing.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Straw wrote:
SunShade wrote:I had a simple idea. It didn't really take a lot thought, and is probably a waste of forum space...but what the hell?

Hmm... I would make Endless River songs mixed in with the Division Bell ones, instead of an entire instrumental side + High Hopes. Quite nice though
Yeah, but SumShade's reworking is closer to what Nick Mason said the original intention for The Division Bell was at the time - a second disc with ambient music, much like TER.

Personally, I've found it difficult to mix TER and TDB, mainly because I find the latter to be rather tightly structured, especially the first side. SumShade's reworking's the best.

My only niggle would be to remove Lost for Words and replace it with Its What We Do, since I've never liked the former. :D

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Aww, I love Lost For Words. Even though the rhymes suck. Haha. I wouldn't really change anything about their albums, besides dropping Hey You off of The Wall. Most of their albums have their flaws that just add to each record's character. I don't care much for When You're In, but I can't really imagine Obscured By Clouds without it.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:23 pm

What the heck is wrong with Hey You? Hey You is way, way better than Lost for Words, for that matter.

And personally, I think SumShade's restructuring of TER into TDB is fitting, because I just can't look at TER as its own thing. Its too derivative. And for my own retooling of TFC, well... I just like the idea that the good songs of MLOR could be reworked into a better context.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:02 am

Not sure how much you know about me around here (and probably for the better if you don't know much, haha.) This is obviously not the case for everyone, but Hey You makes me physically, violently sick (and that's not an exaggeration, the last time I heard this song I vomited before the vocals even started). It's 99% the fault of the worms in the bridge (seriously, Roger? You had to include, or at the very least simulate, a cluster of maggots buzzing and clicking for sixteen sodding bars?) but the opening guitar is enough to make me queasy and fearful. Plus, it doesn't make sense in the context of the album - goodbye cruel world, I'm leaving you today, there's nothing you can do to make me change my mind... hey you, I'm talking to you from behind my wall, I have human contact after severing myself from society - is there anybody out there? I haven't had human contact since I severed myself from society. I am now alone and can't communicate. Allegedly Rick Wright actually plays the electric piano on this song, but just the thought of the song is making my stomach churn, so I'm not prepared to test that theory out. There isn't really much in the way of melody, there's no real innovations musically or technologically (besides crafting a sound that makes me simultaneously terrified and sick, a sound that Wikipedia describes as "the faintly audible sound of a drill"... yeah bullshit), and I just plain don't like it. Bad reasoning? Yeah. But I stand by it.

On the contrary, Lost for Words, while miles away from perfect, has a memorable, bittersweet-feeling guitar riff, fine vocal delivery, and nice piano that pokes its head in and out throughout the song. I'll admit the lyrics are pretty crappy, but it's the Division Bell - what do you expect. I also really hate the sound collage in the middle, it's pointless and only serves to prove that THIS IS PINK FLOYD WE HAVE POINTLESS SOUND COLLAGES NOW BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH WE NEVER HAD THEM BEFORE THEY'RE REMINISCENT OF OUR GLORY DAYS SOMEHOW. But at least it's short, not like the one in Poles Apart that takes up half the song. Bad reasoning? Yeah. But I stand by it.