Make/Change a PF album

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Re: Make/Change a PF album

Postby Vegetable Layne » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:52 am

I don't mean to be a prune, but... well?
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Vegetable Layne wrote:I don't mean to be a prune, but... well?

All of the track-to-track transitions between the songs from Lapse and The Final Cut work really well. I prefer the first disc more myself, but that's just a personal preference. Really, the only thing I can nitpick is that you have the time stamp for "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert" off by a minute. It makes "Round and Around" look like it's six seconds long! :lol:

No, but for real, it's a job well done. ;)
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Vegetable Layne » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:50 pm

SunShade wrote:All of the track-to-track transitions between the songs from Lapse and The Final Cut work really well.

Thank you. I tried not to sacrifice the sound effects of The Final Cut, but also try and blend in the AMLOR well enough. I think maybe the Terminal Frost could've ended a second earlier for instance. :)

I prefer the first disc more myself, but that's just a personal preference.

Me too. The Gilmour songs fit a little more organically than the second disc, but I also had no way of breaking Waters' narrative in the second disc. That said, personally I like that it goes from Learning to Fly to Another Movie, so as to signify that this was like fiction by the sane side of the "hero" of this record. Or maybe thats just me.

Really, the only thing I can nitpick is that you have the time stamp for "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert" off by a minute. It makes "Round and Around" look like it's six seconds long! :lol:

Its only a few second of sand added to Round and Around. :D

No, but for real, it's a job well done. ;)

Thank you. That actually means a lot, coming from you.

I'd like to ask more q's, but I would like to see responces from the rest, so I'll keep them for myself for now.
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:13 pm

Vegetable Layne wrote:Thank you. That actually means a lot, coming from you.

I don't know what I did to earn so much respect, but I'm glad my opinion means so much to you!
Alec Taylor

Postby Vegetable Layne » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:20 pm

Well, you are an ardent critic of the Final Cut, so... :p
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Artisan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:50 pm

My opinion means nothing because I love The Final Cut. :cry: I'm going to be really busy this weekend, but I'll give it a listen next week.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Vegetable Layne » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:56 pm

Hey, all opinions count. :)
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Straw » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:35 pm

If all opinions count, than I have to say while I thoroughly enjoyed it, and sat through it all whilst completing an assignment, I'm still unconvinced about ending with Two Suns. Also the Final Cut run at the end was a bit negative. Juuusst saaying, it should've ended with On the Turning Away.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:02 pm

Final Cut is a very negative album. The pieces don't get picked up at the end - the entire world explodes.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Vegetable Layne » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Here's a question I do have: Should I have placed Terminal Frost after When The Tigers Broke Free and before The Hero's Return, thus restoring the original intent of Part II to before Paranoid Eyes? Because the lyric of WTTBF mention "there was frost in the ground" and all...
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:32 pm

I'm not very familiar with The Final Cut, but is "When the Tigers Broke Free" the song that plays during the opening war scene from 'The Wall' film? If I'm thinking of the right song, then I think the two might be a good pair.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:04 pm

Why on earth would you not be familiar with The Final Cut?
If I remember right, it does play toward the beginning of the movie. I think the kid finds a bunch of shit in a drawer, but I could be imagining that. I haven't watched the movie in almost two years, and I probably won't ever watch it again.

It's very military-sounding, but not like Bring The Boys Back Home. The marching drumrolls, the acapella chants. I really like the song, whiny as it may be.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:42 am

Yeah, When the Tigers Broke Free's first verse plays at the beginning of the movie, then the 2nd and 3rd verse play later on while the kid finds his dad's army clothes, guns and documents.

Damn I love that movie.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Vegetable Layne » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:03 am

OK, I think I may figured the best mix (or one step close to it, that is).

1. Signs of Life
2. The Post War Dream
3. Your Possible Pasts
4. One of the Few
5. When The Tigers Broke Free
6. The Hero's Return Pt. 1
7. Terminal Frost
8. The Hero's Return Pt. 2
9. The Gunner's Dream
10. Paranoid Eyes
11. On the Turning Away

12. Learning to Fly
13. Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
14. The Fletcher Memorial Home
15. Southampton Dock
16. The Final Cut
17. Not Now John
18. Yet Another Movie
19. Round and Around
20. Two Suns in the Sunset
21. Sorrow

And STILL not sure about Terminal Frost, though. But, I've made up my mind for the rest of the AMLOR tracks.

Signs of Life repeats the cycle, as after the destruction of the world, new life very slowly will come to pass. Fast forward to modern times, and the struggle of the post-war dream, as described by Waters. Gilmour offers hope with Turning Away, following the despair and pessimism of Paranoid Eyes. And Waters shoots down the plane that Gilmour was talking about in Learning to Fly, as it crossed the desert that he wasn't supposed to cross. Yet Another Movie is, basically, a distraction, a means to pass the time before the end of the world, which Round and Around foreshadows. And Sorrow is a great epilogue, following the destruction of the world, with Gilmour basically reciting the general struggle of man over history.

Terminal Frost, I like that its sandwhiched by Hero's Return, as it musically works and very Floyd sonically, but at the same time, I'm weary that When Tigers Broke Free references "there was frost in the ground when the tigers broke free, and no on survived, and thats how the High Command took my daddy, from me." Do you guys think Terminal Frost should've been placed there, between Tigers and Hero's Return?
Last edited by Vegetable Layne on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:24 pm

An ever-evolving project, I see? :lol:
Alec Taylor

Postby Vegetable Layne » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:37 am

Disc 2 just never sat well with me. At least this way, it varies from Waters to Gilmour with more balance.
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:15 pm

I wonder if my stupid 'project' Coral Condensation (パート 7) counts as making or changing a Pink Floyd album.
Alec Taylor

Postby Vegetable Layne » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Edited my post above with an update on my thoughts. Please comment on that.
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:47 am

Both ways seem to work fine, I guess it's just a matter of what aspect of the concept you give more importance to. If you're more concerned about musical continuity, then definitely keep "Terminal Frost" between both segments of "The Hero's Return". If you find the lyrical connection more important, then move it to before "When the Tigers Broke Free". I'm not super familiar with The Final Cut, so if I were you, I'd give both versions a few more listens and see which one just works better for you.
Alec Taylor

Postby Vegetable Layne » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:02 pm

Yeah, I'll go with the lyrical this time. If anything, Hero's Return 2 adds a musical punch between the quietening of Gunner's Dream and the nearly-acoustic Paranoid Eyes.

Anyway, I added A New Machine to the mix, between Round and Around and Two Suns. Its a decent segue, and its more about the impending death that is to come. Obviously, I combined both parts, and renamed it Nobody Lives Forever.
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby The Silver Lining » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:33 am

I was gonna say Two Suns in the Sunset is a great album closer, but then I noticed Sorrow still comes after it. Well, that is an even better album closer, so there we go. :D
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Vegetable Layne » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:52 am

OK, so after much trouble, Disk 1 of VERSION 2 of Requiem for the Post War Dream is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sxe4HSUf1g
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Vegetable Layne » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:14 am

Last edited by Vegetable Layne on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Vegetable Layne » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:49 am

Needless to say, this probably was my final take on it. I think I'm very pleased with the result, although I could be wrong at saying that I think its better than either albums on their own.

Its now a double album of Waters' furious emotions about war, coupled with Gilmour's casual optimism (sans A New Machine). Its basically to Waters what A Saucerful of Secrets was to Barrett, a slow fade out for him and a strong fade in for Gilmour (whose emergence is clear in the second disc), but obviously still anchored under a concept, thus making this less schizo than the aforementioned album. Of the two discs, I think its clear that the first disc is more Waters, and the second disc is definitely more Gilmour, as I basically tried to maintain the proper amount of silence before Another Movie and the proper amount of fade-in into Sorrow, which now closes the album.

Anyway, I really hope you enjoy it. If you like it well enough, I could post a link to download the tracks themselves.

Please let me know of your opinions on this. Thank you very much.
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Vegetable Layne » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:20 pm

Hm, I just talk about this too much, huh?
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

PreviousNext

Return to Band Discussion