Make/Change a PF album

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.
Straw
Meddle

Re: Make/Change a PF album

Post by Straw » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:07 pm

I like almost everything, actually. Not sure how I feel about opening the first one with 'Sorrow'. I can kind of see where you're coming from, but I think it would be best suited as the closer for side 1. Also for The Division Bell, I would've spliced Endless River tracks in between Division Bell ones, rather than having both jammed onto individual sides. Just me though, I think it would flow nicely. I'd also drop The Dogs of War from Relics. Its a tad out of place there. Its also not really a good song...

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:02 am

Straw wrote:I like almost everything, actually.
High praise. Thanks!
Not sure how I feel about opening the first one with 'Sorrow'. I can kind of see where you're coming from, but I think it would be best suited as the closer for side 1.
Believe me, its my basic struggle with that one. I originally did have it end Disc 1, but then I thought it might be too much to have two consecutive Gilmour tracks there, as I wanted to play with it a bit more. Ultimately, if I listen to it again, I might indeed end up putting it at the end of the first disc - for now, I have as an opener because, as you might suspect, it serves a prologue of sorts, Gilmour essentially foretelling the tale in a loose manner, and because its a strong track to open with. Open the record with a bang, you know?
Also for The Division Bell, I would've spliced Endless River tracks in between Division Bell ones, rather than having both jammed onto individual sides.
I like the idea, but personally, I went with SunShade's idea because the tracks in TER and a lot of TDB flow into one another, almost immediately, so the choice had to be made based on the readied material. Also, as SunShade mentioned, the idea for the 1994 record was to have a second disc with mostly instrumental, ambient sounds - something Nick Mason had iterated repeatedly before and since its release.
Just me though, I think it would flow nicely.
Would love to see your own track list, ya know.
I'd also drop The Dogs of War from Relics. Its a tad out of place there. Its also not really a good song...
The ones from AMLOR and TER are simply the ones that didn't make it anywhere else. Thus, I put it there because its a completed Floyd song... regardless of quality. I mean, It Would Be So Nice isn't a LOT better, either. :)

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:15 pm

Pink Floyd - A Requiem for the Post-War Dream

Side One (21:48)
1. Signs of Life
2. The Post War Dream
3. Your Possible Pasts
4. Learning to Fly
5. The Gunner's Dream

Side Two (25:03)
6. Terminal Frost
7. The Final Cut
8. Sorrow
9. Two Suns in the Sunset

Following what should have been a period of peace ("Signs of Life", "The Post War Dream", "Your Possible Pasts"), another war breaks out. An enthusiastic youth enlists into the Air Force ("Learning to Fly") in hopes of serving his country. However, he gets stuck in his first skirmish before he has any real combat experience, and gets shot down. As he plummets to his demise, he has memories of life with his family before the war ("The Gunner's Dream"). Thus ends the first side.

The family mentioned in the previous track is grieving their loss as winter sets in ("Terminal Frost"), and his brother even contemplates suicide ("The Final Cut") but can't go through with it. The war continues, and eventually lands in England itself ("Sorrow"). Things escalate into a full-on nuclear exchange ("Two Suns in the Sunset"), and thus ends the second side.

Sorry it took so long. Don't know how well this works (especially with the drastically different musical styles and haphazard storyline by yours truly), but at least it would fit onto a vinyl. ;)
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Now, that is an interesting interpretation! I'll check it out later in the day. Thanks!

Any chance for a follow-up with the rest of the songs? Or do they simply not make the cut? ;)

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Vegetable Layne wrote:Now, that is an interesting interpretation! I'll check it out later in the day. Thanks!

Any chance for a follow-up with the rest of the songs? Or do they simply not make the cut? ;)
Everyone else used every song to make a large double album that included every track so nothing got left out. That, to me, didn't seem realistic, especially in a world and time where Roger and David couldn't agree on anything. Roger completely dismissed Lapse, and David isn't even remotely fond of The Final Cut, so I just tried to shoehorn in some sort of half-assed story to base the tracks around, since the two albums have little in common.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:37 pm

Yeah, something like the above to happen back THEN, impossible. But thats why we do it - retrospect, and also because none of us made the songs, thus we could take the objective view about it.

My revision, really, was based on the simple conceit of adding more Gilmour flavor in Waters' otherwise fine (IMO) album. I like TFC very much, but it definitely lacks a Floyd-ian sound in several cases (though not as much as others have pointed out, again IMO). And given AMLOR's lack of overall theme, I thought adding as much of those in TFC would be a neat thing to do. Of course, some songs had to be excluded because they simply could not fit (One Slip, which I like, being one of the them). But overall, I do like how some of the songs complement that material, and it cements my thinking that Waters and Gilmour have had excellent work without one another, but together? Unstoppable, nearly.

Anyway. I think your track list is ingenius, in terms of actually re-ordering. Because its your narrative, ya know? Can't wait to dive into it.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:22 pm

I'm glad you're enthusiastic for it, but I wouldn't call it ingenious. :lol: I didn't listen to it myself (I didn't even listen to The Final Cut once to make this either), but I can imagine it sounding pretty darn disjointed.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:32 am

Heya. So I was trying splice my propose Pink Floyd's Requiem to the Post-War Dream mix and maybe upload it on YT, and as I was doing that, a couple of things occured to me:

1) Hero's Returns Part 1 really segues nicely into Terminal Frost, and back in Part 2.
2) What if I changed the order again, but this follow the MLOR track order? Like Signs of Life and Learning to Fly are followed up by Dogs of War - a song which, as I've said before, is basically a lame retread of TFC. So what if I placed the entirety of TFC after those two songs, effectively opening the record? Here's a thought about that: The disc would still end with Two Suns in the Sunset, and On the Turning Away, signalling the destruction of everything and a new beginning, of sorts. Then the disc would loop to Signs of Life, effectively creating a circle of new life, then war, then destruction, then all over again. Something like this:

1. Signs of Life
2. Learning to Fly
3. The Post War Dream
4. Your Possible Pasts
5. One of the Few
6. When The Tigers Broke Free
7. The Hero's Return Pt. 1
8. Terminal Frost
9. The Hero's Return Pt. 2
10. The Gunner's Dream
11. Paranoid Eyes
12. Sorrow
13. Yet Another Movie
14. Round and Around/Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
15. The Fletcher Memorial Home
16. Southampton Dock
17. The Final Cut
18. Not Now John
19. Two Suns in the Sunset
20. On the Turning Away

What do you think?

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Keep it the way you've listed it, I say. That could be a very interesting record, but just a suggestion... Use the live version of On The Turning Away! Delicate Sound of Thunder version is so very good

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Pretty good but the album should still end with Two Suns. On The Turning Away should be somewhere near the middle, or even the beginning. I like how Sorrow closes out side 1.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:15 pm

OK, the way I listed it originally is here:
Vegetable Layne wrote:12) Pink Floyd's Requiem to the Post-War Dream

Disc 1:
1. Sorrow
2. The Post War Dream
3. Your Possible Pasts
4. One of the Few
5. When The Tigers Broke Free
6. The Hero's Return Pt. 1
7. Terminal Frost
8. The Hero's Return Pt. 2
9. The Gunner's Dream
10. Paranoid Eyes

Disc 2:
11. Yet Another Movie
12. Round and Around/Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
13. The Fletcher Memorial Home
14. Southampton Dock
15. The Final Cut
16. Not Now John
17. Two Suns in the Sunset
18. Signs of Life
19. Learning to Fly
20. On the Turning Away
And after suggestions, here's a revised one (bold for A Momentary Lapse of Reason):

1. The Post War Dream
2. Your Possible Pasts
3. One of the Few
4. When The Tigers Broke Free
5. The Hero's Return Pt. 1
6. Terminal Frost
7. The Hero's Return Pt. 2
8. The Gunner's Dream
9. Paranoid Eyes
10. Sorrow

11. Signs of Life
12. Learning to Fly
13. Yet Another Movie
14. Round and Around
15. On the Turning Away/Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
16. The Fletcher Memorial Home
17. Southampton Dock
18. The Final Cut
19. Not Now John
20. Two Suns in the Sunset

Not sure if it works better, as I imagined Signs of Life and Learning to Fly to follow Two Suns, but I do agree that Two Suns works as an album closer a great deal better than On the Turning Away. And, I did contemplate putting Signs of Life at the very top, but then I'd have two cds with uneven number of tracks.

Anyway, what do ya think? Sorry to draw attention to this constantly, but you know, where else can I be geeky about this stuff than here, right?

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:59 am

I still think On the Turning Away should end it... esp. the live version

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:25 pm

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but for me the final stretch of three songs on TFC is the ultimate reflective album closer. Two Suns In The Sunset kind of portrays the world getting blown up, after people couldn't get along and continued to fight. I think that an optimistic song about getting along and helping people feels out of place after an entire nuclear annihilation. That might just be me though.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:09 pm

OK, a buddy of mine shared his op, and told me that if I wanted a more authentic line-up, it'd have to fit to sides of an LP.

So, with that mind, here's the revised Requiem for the Post-War Dream, and you'll notice they all perfectly fit in sides. (bold for A Momentary Lapse of Reason):

1. Sorrow
2. The Post War Dream
3. Your Possible Pasts
4. One of the Few
5. When The Tigers Broke Free
6. The Hero's Return Pt. 1
7. Terminal Frost
8. The Hero's Return Pt. 2
9. The Gunner's Dream
10. Paranoid Eyes
11. On the Turning Away

11. Signs of Life
12. Learning to Fly
13. Yet Another Movie
14. Round and Around
15. Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert
16. The Fletcher Memorial Home
17. Southampton Dock
18. The Final Cut
19. Not Now John
20. Two Suns in the Sunset

Its really weird, but now it looks as if in Disc 2, Gilmour and Waters have each their own sides, which is kinda funny on a meta level, with only Not Now John being their crossover moment.

As for On the Turning Away.. well, if I can't put it at the end of disc 2, I might as well try and put it at the end of disc 1. :)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:25 pm

I like the way that On The Turning Away now closes side/disc 1 (not sure all that would fit in 20 minutes). A little glimmer of hope before it all goes to hell. Works like a charm. Not so sure about opening with Sorrow, but it could work.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Well, its four sides actually - sorry I forgot to mention. :p

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Just rigged up the first few songs - Sorrow works really well as an opener as well as a closer. Good call!

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:34 pm

I kind of want to make some sort of ultimate Pink Floyd soundtrack album out of Zabriskie Point, More, and Obscured by Clouds, maybe throwing in a few tracks from The Body and Fractals.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Artisan wrote:Just rigged up the first few songs - Sorrow works really well as an opener as well as a closer. Good call!
Yeah, I thought it works as a kind of foreword, Gilmour as the voice of Fate, that informs us the Waters' rhetoric.

I've run it through, and its an interesting record. Several songs really fit, especially Sorrow, Terminal Frost and On the Turning Away. However, since the single version of Not Now John is available, do you think we can move it elsewhere and place a MLOR song into it, without breaking the flow?
SunShade wrote:I kind of want to make some sort of ultimate Pink Floyd soundtrack album out of Zabriskie Point, More, and Obscured by Clouds, maybe throwing in a few tracks from The Body and Fractals.
That would one interesting record. But would the goal be to make a soundtrack, or a concept-ish album?

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:52 am

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:53 am

And its up! Hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/4b44pzrI_I8

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:55 am

Vegetable Layne wrote:And its up! Hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/4b44pzrI_I8
I'll get it saved and give it a listen when I get the chance! :D And also the picture you uploaded is fucking huge.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:04 am

Well, its high resolution, after all.

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:31 am

Nice Photoshop skills if that was you as well. I'll take a listen in a second, should be good. I don't wanna know the track order so its a surprise!

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:08 am

For the record, I do love the live version of On the Turning Away, but I didn't know how to make it more studio-like, so I had to leave it out.