Anisina

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Anisina

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 am

Anyone else who agrees with me that this is the most impressive song on The Endless River by far? I used to like Talkin' Hawkin' more, but those different instruments that take turns at soloing have started giving me goose bumps every time I hear them.

Also, I noticed that during the intro, you can hear some strings playing a melody similar to that in Comfortably Numb. These little nods to the past are really great.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Re: Anisina

Postby Dyolf » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:09 am

I mentioned the "Comfortably Numb" thing when they released the intro as a clip... but no one listened. I like "Anisina" a lot, it's one of the album's strongest pieces, along with "Allons-y", "Talkin' Hawkin'", "It's What We Do" and "Louder Than Words". And in my opinion it's one of the pieces that should be longer with less filler around it.
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
Dyolf
Animals

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:15 am

Dyolf wrote:I mentioned the "Comfortably Numb" thing when they released the intro as a clip... but no one listened. I like "Anisina" a lot, it's one of the album's strongest pieces, along with "Allons-y", "Talkin' Hawkin'", "It's What We Do" and "Louder Than Words". And in my opinion it's one of the pieces that should be longer with less filler around it.

Hah. :D Sorry about that. I didn't listen to the clip in the first place, since I didn't want to have it spoiled.

But yeah, if they had removed one or two 1-minute songs, Anisina could have been much longer, like It's What We Do.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Dyolf » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:21 am

One thing about "Anisina" that bothers me every time I listen to it is, the saxophone is too busy, too jazzy for Floyd. If Dick Parry had done it it would have been better. There's a good series of videos on YouTube (MTV I think) where they talk to PF during the TDB tour and some roadies too. They talk to Dick Parry and he says something to the effect of "I could do more, but with Floyd, they like less notes, less is more, so that's what I do." But this doesn't seem to be the case with "Anisina".
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 pm

I'll be the odd duck out, since I really didn't like "Anisina" that much. The saxophone sorely needed Dick Parry's touch, and I swear David was trying to make his guitar hit notes that only dogs could hear for a few bars. Then again, I actually liked all of the minute-and-a-half songs on Side 3 (minus "Night Light"), so what do I know? :lol:
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:30 pm

SunShade wrote:I'll be the odd duck out, since I really didn't like "Anisina" that much. The saxophone sorely needed Dick Parry's touch, and I swear David was trying to make his guitar hit notes that only dogs could hear for a few bars. Then again, I actually liked all of the minute-and-a-half songs on Side 3 (minus "Night Light"), so what do I know? :lol:

Your opinion must obviously be wrong. Back to music school with you!

:mrgreen:
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Lady Floydian » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:14 pm

I think it's fantastic, definitely one of the standout tracks on the album. I don't think it's *the* most impressive song on the album, but it's definitely in the Top 5.
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:22 pm

I'd be hard-pressed to pick a Top 5, especially since every song from "Allons-y (1)" to "Talkin' Hawkin'" would be in it. That only leaves room for one more song! :mrgreen:

And I've never even been to music school Silver, so my opinion has to be wrong!
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm

SunShade wrote:I'd be hard-pressed to pick a Top 5, especially since every song from "Allons-y (1)" to "Talkin' Hawkin'" would be in it. That only leaves room for one more song! :mrgreen:

And I've never even been to music school Silver, so my opinion has to be wrong!

Well then why are we even talking about music to begin with!

If any new person sees this thread before deciding whether to join or not, they'll probably close the website right away. We have such a horrible sense of humor. :(
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby mabewa » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:41 am

It's a good track, but it's not one of my favorites from the album. I agree that the sax is too busy--in fact the production is too busy, and that mars it somewhat.

I do really like Side 2, and I like how you get this intense, arty stuff that finally winds up with this much calmer piece--in some ways, it reminds me of the band's musical progression from Saucerful through DSotM. So in that sense, Anisina works very well.

BTW, I wonder about Anisina's origins--do you guys think it might be a new track? It's one of only two tracks that Rick doesn't play on. The chord progression is very Rick-ish (sounds a bit both like Us and Them and Great Gig), and I wondered whether Dave might have come up with it as a tribute to Rick.
mabewa
A Saucerful of Secrets

Postby Charade I Am » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:46 am

I definitely agree that Anisina is a standout. I'm still only at a couple full listens to the album, and while I still like the first few songs the most, Anisina has been the highlight of the middle portion so far.
Charade I Am
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Postby Dyolf » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:36 pm

mabewa wrote:BTW, I wonder about Anisina's origins--do you guys think it might be a new track? It's one of only two tracks that Rick doesn't play on. The chord progression is very Rick-ish (sounds a bit both like Us and Them and Great Gig), and I wondered whether Dave might have come up with it as a tribute to Rick.

The opening piano piece was (I assume) played by Rick, there was a demo version of it knocking about the internet for a long while, but it was slightly faster tempo than what we get on "Anisina". Other than that I have no idea where it comes from. I'm assuming Rick's version was either too fast or maybe the tapes were unusable. Who knows...
Dyolf
Animals

Postby mabewa » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Dyolf wrote:
mabewa wrote:BTW, I wonder about Anisina's origins--do you guys think it might be a new track? It's one of only two tracks that Rick doesn't play on. The chord progression is very Rick-ish (sounds a bit both like Us and Them and Great Gig), and I wondered whether Dave might have come up with it as a tribute to Rick.

The opening piano piece was (I assume) played by Rick, there was a demo version of it knocking about the internet for a long while, but it was slightly faster tempo than what we get on "Anisina". Other than that I have no idea where it comes from. I'm assuming Rick's version was either too fast or maybe the tapes were unusable. Who knows...

Thanks. That would definitely rule out it being a new track.

I don't think the tempo would have been the issue, since they could have easily slowed it down with digital technology. But It's possible that, as you suggest, the tapes were unusable for some reason.

Or perhaps it was a piano piece that Dave came up with in the first place, and Rick never added any parts to it... if that's the case, the versions floating around the Internet could have been Dave all along. With modern recording technology being what it is, I do think that they would have preserved Rick's playing unless it was a seriously defective recording.
mabewa
A Saucerful of Secrets

Postby Straw » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:49 am

Yeah I really like this song. I'd put is second to Louder Than Words.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:43 pm

Been listening to this song a lot. Easily my favorite off the album, by a wide margin, the most melodically sound by an even wider one. I do agree that the super-high-pitched solo was a bit unnecessary but I love it otherwise. In fact I'm gonna put it on now....
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:18 pm

I just noticed that at the end of the first chord sequence (a few seconds before wind instrument starts), you can hear some violins playing a sequence that's nearly identical to the one in Comfortably Numb.

I wonder if that's a coincidence...
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:48 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:I just noticed that at the end of the first chord sequence (a few seconds before wind instrument starts), you can hear some violins playing a sequence that's nearly identical to the one in Comfortably Numb.

Hardly "just" as you mentioned it in the first post :P but yes that is undoubtedly intentional. It also happens in The Final Cut where it seems a bit desperate ("that song was a hit, let's recreate it").
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:12 pm

I love this song a lot more than I did when I first heard it, but that dog whistle solo in the midsection still makes me want to fling my arms around like a helicopter and crash into the Moon.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:02 am

Artisan wrote:
The Silver Lining wrote:I just noticed that at the end of the first chord sequence (a few seconds before wind instrument starts), you can hear some violins playing a sequence that's nearly identical to the one in Comfortably Numb.

Hardly "just" as you mentioned it in the first post :P but yes that is undoubtedly intentional. It also happens in The Final Cut where it seems a bit desperate ("that song was a hit, let's recreate it").

My girlfriend has been telling me I have "early onset of Alzheimer's" for years... It gets increasingly difficult to argue with her. :(

Please don't show her this post.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:07 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Artisan wrote:

My girlfriend has been telling me I have "early onset of Alzheimer's" for years... It gets increasingly difficult to argue with her. :(

Please don't show her this post.

Show her me, she would stop worrying about you. I forget my own name several times a week and I've also gone a few scattered days where I forgot to eat.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:26 am

I was playing this song on piano earlier, and decided to switch between it and "Us and Them", since that seems to be the song this calls back to. When you play them both like that, it becomes apparent that "Anisina" is 100% Gilmour in composition. "Us and Them" (like all of Rick's compositions) has several jazz-influenced chords and stays planted around the D root, whether or not it fits with the chord being played. "Anisina" is all straight major and minor chords, all fitting in with their root notes perfectly. It's definitely a clever imitation, a good tribute, but it's definitely missing that key element of the real deal.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:44 am

I'm sad I missed that last post for half a year, because I agree with it. Us and Them is a song where I really had to look up the chords, and then I had to play them a few times before I started really understanding how they worked. With Anisina, you just hear that intro and you immediately know how to play it.

As a songwriter, I really wonder how such jazzy chords are written. I only really have much background in rock music, so it almost sounds like they just throw together some notes until they find chords that sound well together. It's hard to really find reusable patterns of consonance & dissonance.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:28 pm

From what I've found, you really have to go out of your way to make that stuff work. I personally get into the habit of intentionally playing different root notes that don't fit with the chord, and inverting chords then changing one note, and things like that to create that dissonance. I used to just spam major seventh chords, but luckily I've grown a bit past that.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:03 pm

Major 9th chords is where it's really at!

Damn, though. I was reading your post and wanted to say "No man, keep the root note on your left hand (when playing the piano), but turn the root note on your right hand into a major seventh. That works well in my experience!" and then I read the last part of your post. Meh.

Truth be told, though, in Us and Them, the most brilliant chord of all of them is the Dm7maj -- the second one in the chord sequence for the verses. I absolutely love the way that chord sounds, as well as how it fits in the song.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Return to Band Discussion