Division Bell vs Momentary Lapse of Reason

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Which is your favourite?

The Division Bell
60%
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
40%

Total votes : 10

Re: Division Bell vs Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Lady Floydian wrote:
SunShade wrote:
Floydy wrote:
SunShade wrote:I am curious Floydy, what about The Division Bell do you dislike? And do you find it to just be a bad album by Pink Floyd standards, or a bad album in general?

It's Pink Floyds The Phantom Menace. I remember being very let down the first time I listened to it. It's not a bad album in general, there are far more worse albums out there but by Pink Floyd standards, it just never made the hair on the back of my neck stand up like some of the other Pink Floyd albums did.

Fair enough. Take away "Echoes", and that's more or less my opinion on Meddle.

I like Meddle, but it's not as awe-inspiring as I think some fans would have you believe. I actually like a lot of Side 1, but when I think of the "Core Four" albums out of their entire catalog, I think OBC — TDSotM — WYWH — Animals. It has more in common with its predecessor, Atom Heart Mother, than it does with the successive albums I listed above.

There's an interesting concept. I'd pick my "Core Four" to probably be Dark Side - Wish - Animals - The Wall (Disc 1).
Alec Taylor

Postby Lady Floydian » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:39 pm

SunShade wrote:
Lady Floydian wrote:
SunShade wrote:
Floydy wrote:
SunShade wrote:I am curious Floydy, what about The Division Bell do you dislike? And do you find it to just be a bad album by Pink Floyd standards, or a bad album in general?

It's Pink Floyds The Phantom Menace. I remember being very let down the first time I listened to it. It's not a bad album in general, there are far more worse albums out there but by Pink Floyd standards, it just never made the hair on the back of my neck stand up like some of the other Pink Floyd albums did.

I like Meddle, but it's not as awe-inspiring as I think some fans would have you believe. I actually like a lot of Side 1, but when I think of the "Core Four" albums out of their entire catalog, I think OBC — TDSotM — WYWH — Animals. It has more in common with its predecessor, Atom Heart Mother, than it does with the successive albums I listed above.

There's an interesting concept. I'd pick my "Core Four" to probably be Dark Side - Wish - Animals - The Wall (Disc 1).

For me, the "Core Four" represents the band at the height of its talent and creativity. After Animals, things started going downhill, and before Obscured By Clouds, they were on their way to that top.
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:45 pm

Lady Floydian wrote:
SunShade wrote:
Lady Floydian wrote:
SunShade wrote:
Floydy wrote:

For me, the "Core Four" represents the band at the height of its talent and creativity. After Animals, things started going downhill, and before Obscured By Clouds, they were on their way to that top.

If were going by the height of talent and creativity, then I'm changing mine to ASoS - Umma - AHM - OBC.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:09 pm

For me, the big four will always be DSotM through The Wall. Those four albums are all flawless masterpieces that represent Pink Floyd's catalog perfectly.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:09 pm

Even though I think The Wall is their worst album, my list is the same as Arno's. More people know Animals than Meddle, and even so I can't call Meddle, DSOTM, Wish, and Animals the big four because that would be ignoring OBC (a crime which I think should be made punishable by death). When I think Floyd, I think that run of 70s albums, and since each one except Animals was a great success and they're forever linked to the band, that's still how I view it.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:57 pm

My only contribution to the current trains of thought is that Animals is definitely more well-known than Meddle, but I'd argue that "Echoes" is more well-known than any of the songs from Animals. I've always blamed "Echoes" for Meddle being a critical sweetheart, because the other five songs really don't compare and are pretty hit-and-miss.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Didn't that "ultimate guide" magazine you had call Meddle Echoes?
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:18 pm

The only song from Meddle it talked about was "Echoes". It had like three or four pages about the album, and every single paragraph was about "Echoes". I think they also had it come out in both 1970 and 1971, but I can't remember. That magazine was fucked, yo.
Alec Taylor

Previous

Return to Band Discussion