Least Favorite Song by Album

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Re: Least Favorite Song by Album

Postby Lady Floydian » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:56 pm

quicksilver wrote:Maybe its me, but I can't imagine Dark Side without On the Run and The White Album without Rev #9.

I would have rather they'd stuck with The Travel Sequence between Breathe and Time. When they toured in 1972, it was a better, more melodious segue between the two tracks. I find On the Run too jarring. I don't skip it, but I don't enjoy it either. I'm glad that when they put out the Dark Side of the Moon Immersion box set, we got to hear the studio version of it, because prior to that, all we had was the live versions from the Eclipse tour.
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:06 pm

I dunno. When I am aware that I don't understand something, I simply don't voice an opinion of it.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:13 pm

quicksilver wrote:Maybe its me, but I can't imagine Dark Side without On the Run and The White Album without Rev #9.

That's quite what I think. But I do enjoy "Revolution 9" myself. It's a very interesting piece, definitely more 'art' than music, but that's okay with me. "Revolution 1 Take 20" helps put the whole thing into perspective, and was actually instrumental in moving me from a dismissive commoner to a prestigious, elite (:lol: what am I even saying?) connoisseur of the fine arts.

Just kidding. :lol: But that little bootleg did help me appreciate the song more, and as I get older, I'm able to appreciate the music for what it does and what it is meant to be more than just what it does for me personally. Maybe that's why I'm softening up on pop music these days; I know that it's just solely for entertaining the masses, and as pure entertainment meant to be hip and new, I can dig a good portion of it.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Lady Floydian » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:47 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:I dunno. When I am aware that I don't understand something, I simply don't voice an opinion of it.

What would be the point of threads like this then, if you absolutely had to understand what they were trying to do before you could say whether you liked it or not? You said in another thread that you didn't get the point of the two heads on The Division Bell cover and didn't see the connection between it and the music. Should I have discounted that opinion?

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Artisan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:17 pm

I have a playlist of bizarre noise-esque tracks for when I really want to torment myself. Revolution 9, Quicksilver, Several Species, Grand Vizier, Careful With That Axe, and the like. I don't know why I do - I made it when I was really interested in noise and the avant garde, and I never bothered getting rid of it. I just added more songs to it from Ummagumma. I know I'll probably never listen to it again.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Lady Floydian wrote:
The Silver Lining wrote:I dunno. When I am aware that I don't understand something, I simply don't voice an opinion of it.

What would be the point of threads like this then, if you absolutely had to understand what they were trying to do before you could say whether you liked it or not? You said in another thread that you didn't get the point of the two heads on The Division Bell cover and didn't see the connection between it and the music. Should I have discounted that opinion?

Err, that's far from anything I've said. I said that I find the meaning too simplistic and obvious, and the imagery unoriginal. I'm also not saying that you need to be an expert of everything in order to have an opinion of it. But if a piece of art is completely and utterly alien to you, I don't see why you'd bash the artist's head in for creating it.

And on that note, I'm not discounting the opinion of anyone on here. I am expressing dismay at people who bash music (or other art) with statements that very obviously show that they refuse to see it in its context, and that their hatred for it stems from that. You see it often with On The Run, Revolution 9, but also with the Indian music that George Harrison has played, for instance. "I don't know what they are doing, ergo it does not please me, ergo it must be horrible art."
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Lady Floydian » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:59 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Lady Floydian wrote:

Err, that's far from anything I've said. I said that I find the meaning too simplistic and obvious, and the imagery unoriginal. I'm also not saying that you need to be an expert of everything in order to have an opinion of it. But if a piece of art is completely and utterly alien to you, I don't see why you'd bash the artist's head in for creating it.

And on that note, I'm not discounting the opinion of anyone on here. I am expressing disdain at people who bash music (or other art) with statements that very obviously show that they refuse to see it in its context, and that their hatred for it stems from that. You see it often with On The Run, Revolution 9, but also with the Indian music that George Harrison has played, for instance. "I don't know what they are doing, ergo it does not please me, ergo it must be horrible art."

Expressing disdain? Why? That seems like a rather extreme reaction to someone stating they don't like something.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:09 pm

I think I mixed up the word "disdain" with "dismay".

English is too difficult for me to learn properly. Such a horrible, misguided language.

:twisted:
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Floydy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:14 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:I think I mixed up the word "disdain" with "dismay".

English is too difficult for me to learn properly. Such a horrible, misguided language.

:twisted:

Don't worry Silver, you speak better English than alot of English speaking people I know.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby DeepSubmergeRMM » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:50 am

Lady Floydian wrote:

I would have rather they'd stuck with The Travel Sequence between Breathe and Time. When they toured in 1972, it was a better, more melodious segue between the two tracks. I find On the Run too jarring. I don't skip it, but I don't enjoy it either. I'm glad that when they put out the Dark Side of the Moon Immersion box set, we got to hear the studio version of it, because prior to that, all we had was the live versions from the Eclipse tour.

Wow, I almost forgot about The Travel Sequence. That's a good one! should have been in the final album.
DeepSubmergeRMM
Ummagumma

Postby Artisan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:10 pm

I can't believe some of my answers here. I know I picked some just to have theanswers there, but... Fat Old Sun? Seriously? I suppose I still kind of agree with Fearless... But man, some of those were just really bad decisions.

Piper - The Scarecrow. I can safely say this is the only song that really does nothing for me.
Saucerful - Saucerful of Secrets. The live version really blows this out of the water. Studio is decent enough, just slow.
More - Crying Song, Party Sequence, Quicksilver, or Spanish Piece. Varying reasons, don't care much for any of them.
Ummagumma - Sysyphus or Garden Party. Both irritate me. Don't like either one.
AHM: No.
Meddle: Fearless if I absolutely had to choose. Can't give a reason really, the others are better to me. Or Seamus, maybe.
OBC: Absolutely Curtains hasn't gotten any better after a year. I don't like the first two either. The rest is all perfect.
DSOTM: Uhm... Money or Great Gig if I had to choose. Both drag.
WYWH: No. WTTM, maybe. Only maybe.
Animals: No.
Wall: Hey You. Makes me vomit violently.
TFC: sigh... The desert one, I guess. I like them all to varying degrees.
AMLOR: Dogs of War or Yet Another Movie. Bad lyrics and boring music.
TDB: Keep Talking, or perhaps Poles Apart.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:14 pm

I forgot about this thread! Time for an Endless River update.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - "Interstellar Overdrive" (main riff is cool, but the noisy mess drags on way too long)
A Saucerful of Secrets - "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" (just bores me a bit, and the lyrics aren't really much)
Soundtrack from the Film More - "Party Sequence" (they could have included "Seabirds" or "Hollywood", you know)
Ummagumma - "Several Small FUUUUUUUUC-" (I don't need a reason)
Atom Heart Mother - "Mind Your Throats Please" (for lack of a better choice, I suppose)
Meddle - "Seamus" (again, don't really need to state my reason here)
Obscured by Clouds - "The Gold It's In The" (much too ordinary and generic for my tastes, both lyrically and musically)
The Dark Side of the Moon - I'm not entirely sure, remove one song and the whole thing falls apart (maybe "On the Run" or "Money")
Wish You Were Here - N/A
Animals - "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" (but only because "Dogs" and "Sheep" are dynamic and constantly evolving)
The Wall - "Bring the Boys Back Home" (and people say King Crimson is pretentious :lol:)
The Final Cut - "Fletcher Memorial Home" (if I have to choose only one)
A Momentary Lapse of Reason - "Yet Another Movie / Round and Around" (are they considered one track or two? I've seen both)
The Division Bell - "A Great Day for Freedom" (the only track that really drags for me on an otherwise consistent album)
The Endless River - "Night Light" (remove it and I'd never hit the skip button listening to this album)
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:23 pm

Had Night Light not been on Endless River (and maybe replaced with Nervana in a manner befitting the concept), do you think it would be your #1 album? Or is Wish too sacred?

Also, you did an Endless River update before. Haha. And it was still Night Light. Naturally.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:16 pm

No, TER would still be behind WYWH. :lol: But yeah, even though I've warmed up to "Anisina" and all of Side 4, I still can't stand listening to "Night Light".
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:29 pm

I haven't ranted about Hey You in a while, have I?

PIPER: Pow R Toc H.
SAUCERFUL: A Saucerful Of Secrets.
MORE: Quicksilver.
UMMAGUMMA: Live, Set The Controls. Studio, Sysyphus.
ATOM HEART MOTHER: ... Fat Old Sun.'
MEDDLE: ... Seamus.
OBSCURED: Absolutely Curtains.
DARK SIDE: Money.
WISH: ... Welcome To The Machine.
ANIMALS: ... Pigs On The Wing 1.
THE WALL: Hey You
FINAL CUT: Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert.
AMLOR: Dogs Of War.
DIVISION BELL: Poles Apart
ENDLESS RIVER: Unsung.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Straw » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:48 am

Cos I just updated my favourite songs per album I guess I'd better update this one too

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn: 'Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk'
A Saucerful Of Secrets: 'A Saucerful Of Secrets'
More: 'Dramatic Theme'
Ummagumma: 'Sysyphus'
Atom Heart Mother: 'If'
Meddle: 'Seamus'
Obscured By Clouds: 'Free Four'
Dark Side Of The Moon: 'On The Run' (its still the worst song, no matter how many people defend it)
Wish You Were Here: 'Have A Cigar'
Animals: 'Pigs On The Wing 2'
The Wall: 'Bring The Boys Back Home' or 'The Show Must Go On' (I hate them both and can't decide which is shittier)
The Final Cut: 'The Post War Dream'
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason: 'One Slip'
The Division Bell: 'Wearing The Inside Out'
The Endless River: 'Unsung'
Straw
Meddle

Postby Vegetable Layne » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:33 pm

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn: "Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk"
A Saucerful Of Secrets: "A Saucerful Of Secrets"
More: "Dramatic Theme"
Ummagumma: "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"
Atom Heart Mother: "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast"
Meddle: "Seamus"
Obscured by Clouds: "Free Fall"
DSOTM: If I had to, maybe "Money", but that opening is too good (and "On the Run" is great).
WYWH: N/A
Animals: N/A (though I miss the Snowy White solo whenever I listen to the album nowadays)
The Wall: N/A
The Final Cut: "Southampton Dock"
Momentary Lapse of Reason: "Dogs of War" - easily.
The Division Bell: "Lost for Words"
The Endless River: "Louder than Words"
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Previous

Return to Band Discussion