Break a Pink Floyd album

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Break a Pink Floyd album

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Based on Mr Vegetable's thread. :)

Are there any albums that would truly not work if one specific song had been omitted?

Personally I'm thinking of Dogs in Animals, SYOCD in WYWH, and any song whatsoever in Dark Side of the Moon.

I'm curious to see any less "obvious" opinions though... :P
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Re: Break a Pink Floyd album

Postby Artisan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:36 pm

- Any of the big ones on Animals
- Echoes on Meddle
- Any of the live things on Ummagumma
- Just about anything from OBC

That's off the top of my head anyway
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:07 pm

-Remove "Outside the Wall" and the album just ends with an explosion (the Michael Bay ending, if you will)
-Remove "Autumn '68" and Side 3 loses a hell of a lot of emotional power (but that's probably just my opinion)
-Remove "Astronomy Domine" and the album sort of falters ("Lucifer Sam" just isn't a strong opener)

Just a few more from me, I suppose.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Remove Hey You and, oh shit, it conveniently fits on one CD. Can't have that.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby JeffX » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Remove "Mother" and you lose some of the fears.
http://jefflilland.blogspot.com

Roger Waters In The Flesh Tour, July 6th 2000 Minneapolis, Minnesota
JeffX
Atom Heart Mother

Postby quicksilver » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:32 pm

I'm going to go with the less obvious approach.

Admittedly, my love of Pink Floyd stems more from the music than the lyrics. However, there are a few songs though that evoke a strong emotion from me because of the lyrics. Two Suns in the Sunset tops that list. Whether or not you're a fan of The Final cut is not the issue here. Roger has a way of putting words together that are clever and unique. "Two Suns" is a perfect ending to a record that deals with such heavy topics as war and betrayal.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby JeffX » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:42 pm

High Hopes from The Division Bell. That song was a perfect ending for that album. It would have been a perfect ending for the band too, if they didn't release The Endless River.

JeffX
Atom Heart Mother

Postby Artisan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:31 am

Personally I still consider Division Bell the last real album. When I started collecting Floyd in 2013 I was excited because they were one of te few bands whose entire discography interested me instead of just one part. I thinkthe lbum covers had a lot to do with that. I wanted all of them, even though I didn't know what was on them. With Endless River, I can't even work up the energy to look up a single song from it. And I don't foresee that changing any time in the close future. When I finally heard TDB it was like receiving closure - another discography done, and a good one too. I'm not interested in opening it up any more.

Also, any of the first four songs from Piper would ruin it for me.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:08 am

The Division Bell is the end of the Pink Floyd catalog. The Endless River is a post-script. It sounds entirely unique, not quite like any other Pink Floyd record. And yet, it sounds distinctly Floydian in some many areas and in so many ways. "High Hopes" is the final thought from Pink Floyd, whereas "Louder Than Words" is just a sort of afterthought or epilogue in Rick's absence.
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:23 pm

SunShade wrote:The Division Bell is the end of the Pink Floyd catalog. The Endless River is a post-script. It sounds entirely unique, not quite like any other Pink Floyd record. And yet, it sounds distinctly Floydian in some many areas and in so many ways. "High Hopes" is the final thought from Pink Floyd, whereas "Louder Than Words" is just a sort of afterthought or epilogue in Rick's absence.

Agreed.....

To me, High Hopes is the ending. A masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby JeffX » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:39 pm

I love The Endless River. It's definitely grown to be one of my favorite Floyd albums. You can hear everyone with the exception of Roger throughout the entire album and it's a fitting tribute to Rick Wright.

JeffX
Atom Heart Mother

Postby Straw » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:32 am

Artisan wrote:Remove Hey You and, oh shit, it conveniently fits on one CD. Can't have that.

Something tells me they wouldn't have considered that in the years before CDs existed :lol:

Anyway,

Meddle - Echoes
Dark Side of the Moon - Anything
Wish You Were Here - Anything
Obscured By Clouds - Wots... Uh the Deal
Straw
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:39 am

I'll build a time machine and hit Roger over the head with a CD.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:26 pm

Oh, for Meddle if you take away "A Pillow of Winds" you break the nice cool-down flow between "One of These Days" and "Fearless". That, and it's a hauntingly beautiful song, probably my #2 pick from the album.
Alec Taylor

Postby Straw » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:50 am

SunShade wrote:Oh, for Meddle if you take away "A Pillow of Winds" you break the nice cool-down flow between "One of These Days" and "Fearless". That, and it's a hauntingly beautiful song, probably my #2 pick from the album.

I'll admit, first time I heard A Pillow of Winds, I thought it was absolute bollocks, one of the most boring songs I've ever heard. Now I really like it though, and hauntingly beautiful is the best possible way to describe it.
Straw
Meddle

Postby quicksilver » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Straw wrote:
SunShade wrote:Oh, for Meddle if you take away "A Pillow of Winds" you break the nice cool-down flow between "One of These Days" and "Fearless". That, and it's a hauntingly beautiful song, probably my #2 pick from the album.

I'll admit, first time I heard A Pillow of Winds, I thought it was absolute bollocks, one of the most boring songs I've ever heard. Now I really like it though, and hauntingly beautiful is the best possible way to describe it.

Pillow of Winds has always been one of my very favorite songs. If David decides to tour next year- I hope he plays this.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Artisan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Before I even heard Meddle, I convinced myself that I hated everything except for Echoes, all because I watched a review where the reviewer hated everything except Echoes. I was an idiot. I haven't grown out of my idiotfulness completely, but at least I know now that having my own opinions is a really cool thing because it means I can like more great music. I have so many fond memories of listening to A Pillow Of Winds. I got it the same time as Atom Heart Mother and The Wall, and ironically the order of favoritism in that triangle has shifted. When I got them, I was in love with The Wall and convinced myself I didn't like Meddle (I actually did like it quite a lot, but I just wouldn't admit that to myself). Now, Meddle is my favorite of the three. Once I finally paid attention to Hey You for the first time (which was about a week or two after I got the album), it quickly started sinking down the ranks.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Straw » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:37 pm

SunShade wrote:Pillow of Winds has always been one of my very favorite songs. If David decides to tour next year- I hope he plays this.

I'd rather he plays Wots uh the Deal, and he might considering how much he actually likes that song. I consider that to be Pink Floyd's all time most underrated song, probably followed by Mother or Childhood's End.
Straw
Meddle

Postby JeffX » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:03 pm

It took me a long time to get into the early Pink Floyd albums. I tried listening to them, but they never really grabbed me. It wasn't until the last few years that they've grown on me. Except Piper. I can't get into that one yet.

JeffX
Atom Heart Mother

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:02 pm

Straw wrote:
SunShade wrote:Pillow of Winds has always been one of my very favorite songs. If David decides to tour next year- I hope he plays this.

I'd rather he plays Wots uh the Deal, and he might considering how much he actually likes that song. I consider that to be Pink Floyd's all time most underrated song, probably followed by Mother or Childhood's End.

I find it interesting that the quote says I said that, but quicksilver said it instead. I do live "A Pillow of Winds" though, it's probably my second favorite track from Meddle! Although I don't think he'll bust that one out for a tour, since that song is one of those PF songs that doesn't even seem to exist in the minds of its creators any more.
Alec Taylor

Postby Straw » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:14 am

Hah, whoops, I have no idea how that could've happened. Anyway, your absolutely right about the not existing in its creators minds anymore. Someone should go up to David and Roger and force Obscured By Clouds, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother and force them to listen to it.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:26 pm

It's too late to hear "Summer '68" and "Stay" live (unless they did what the BBs did on their 50th ani tour for Carl and Dennis), but I wouldn't mind some updated renditions of "A Pillow of Winds", "If", and maybe even "Fearless". Heck, maybe David will play "Remember A Day" live from now on? Since he won't play certain songs without Rick?
Alec Taylor

Postby Straw » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:20 am

The band themselves, or maybe just Rick I don't know, said that hearing anything from Saucerful to about Atom Heart Mother makes them cringe. Excluding Piper, of course because its Syd's album.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:15 am

Well, they have good reason to. They spent years playing those jams at every single show. At the same time, that's some incredible music.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:24 pm

I think it would be hard to play five minute songs as fifteen minute jams every night for like five years and ever want to talk/listen/think about those songs ever again.
Alec Taylor

Next

Return to Band Discussion