Publius Enigma

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Publius Enigma

Postby FrowningBanana » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Yes, yes. This again.

So my theory, since I've never really spoke on this:

The album's central theme seemed to be about communication, or lapses in it, and the idea that we should "keep talking," and whatnot.

The Publius Enigma was definitely not the band's idea, and I suspect it was someone in EMI probably, but anyways... it got people talking. It got people connecting and kept them talking about it. And guess what - we still are. Twenty years and there is still a following on this subject.

"All we need to do is keep talking." Well we did. That's all it is! That's what it was meant for. That's what I think anyway.

Publius Enigma lives on
1994 - ?
Look up. You'll find things that you never imagined you would.

Anarcho-Capitalist, political activist.
Musician, and advocate of secession and non-aggression.
News editor for Being Libertarian, because freedom matters.
User avatar
FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:23 am

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby quicksilver » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:22 pm

FrowningBanana wrote:Yes, yes. This again.

So my theory, since I've never really spoke on this:

The album's central theme seemed to be about communication, or lapses in it, and the idea that we should "keep talking," and whatnot.

The Publius Enigma was definitely not the band's idea, and I suspect it was someone in EMI probably, but anyways... it got people talking. It got people connecting and kept them talking about it. And guess what - we still are. Twenty years and there is still a following on this subject.

"All we need to do is keep talking." Well we did. That's all it is! That's what it was meant for. That's what I think anyway.

Publius Enigma lives on
1994 - ?



As good a theory as any I've heard.

I agree it was a record company idea all along and the band just went ahead with it. I think it was NY or NJ when "Enigma" appeared on the bottom of the stage, and at that time I figured it was all a ploy.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
User avatar
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:47 pm

I always suspected that there was never a mystery to begin with, and the company just wanted a way to get people to pay attention to the band.
User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Press Garden, WI

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby Lady Floydian » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:15 am

I considered it a PR/marketing stunt, and I haven't wavered in that.
Image
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
User avatar
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: USA

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby JeffX » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:32 pm

Once I started looking into it, I figured it was something the record label did. It was fun though. It did it's job and I'd say it was probably the first viral marketing campaign.
http://jefflilland.blogspot.com

Roger Waters In The Flesh Tour, July 6th 2000 Minneapolis, Minnesota
JeffX
Atom Heart Mother
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:36 pm

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby Dyolf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:50 am

Nick Mason has said that there was an answer to the Enigma and that the prize was to be a car and tickets to one of the 1994 shows. But I've lost all interest in it now.
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
User avatar
Dyolf
Animals
 
Posts: 1273
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Cymru (Wales)

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby Floydy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:10 am

Dyolf wrote:Nick Mason has said that there was an answer to the Enigma and that the prize was to be a car and tickets to one of the 1994 shows. But I've lost all interest in it now.

And besides, who wants to win a 20 year old car?
Image
Floydy
Meddle
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:19 am
Location: Perth. Western Australia.

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby Dyolf » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:01 pm

Floydy wrote:
Dyolf wrote:Nick Mason has said that there was an answer to the Enigma and that the prize was to be a car and tickets to one of the 1994 shows. But I've lost all interest in it now.

And besides, who wants to win a 20 year old car?


I believe it was to be a Pink Floyd edition of the VW Golf.

Image
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
User avatar
Dyolf
Animals
 
Posts: 1273
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Cymru (Wales)

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:10 pm

I actually like this theory. And to be honest, I think it's great that we never had an answer to the Publius Enigma mystery. If we all knew what it was about, nobody would care, and people who started listening to Pink Floyd after 1994 wouldn't even know about the thing.
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location: Kessel-Lo

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby quicksilver » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:55 pm

I think the answer to the Publius Enigma is ............ Tumbling Dice!
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
User avatar
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:10 pm

quicksilver wrote:I think the answer to the Publius Enigma is ............ Tumbling Dice!


I heard there's actually a clue if you play Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2 backwards.
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location: Kessel-Lo

Re: Publius Enigma

Postby Dyolf » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:25 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
quicksilver wrote:I think the answer to the Publius Enigma is ............ Tumbling Dice!


I heard there's actually a clue if you play Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2 backwards.


I'm pretty sure these sorts of rumours are why no one has solved it. As far as I know all the official Publius posts on the original newsgroup centred around The Division Bell, and that the band had nothing to do with it, it was ret-coned by a professional puzzler-maker. All the visual clues are in the original CD booklet and CD singles.
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
User avatar
Dyolf
Animals
 
Posts: 1273
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Cymru (Wales)


Return to Band Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest