Heart Beat, Pig Meat

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Heart Beat, Pig Meat

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:43 am

Since information about any of the Zabriskie Point songs is pretty hard to come by, I figured I'd ask the experts here at Floydians. Does anyone here know how the band got that drum sound on the song "Heart Beat, Pig Meat"? The one that sounds almost like a (really irregular) heartbeat? Is it just a bass drum with some sort of delay effects? I'm not very familiar with drums or effects, and I can't find much about it. I was hoping to maybe recreate that sound with other instruments, if I could only figure out what it is.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: Heart Beat, Pig Meat

Postby Straw » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:21 am

Sounds to me (a drummer) like heavily muted and muffled drums (post recording, during production) in this pattern:

Top x's = hi hat
Middle notes = snare drum
Bottom notes = bass drum, but it sounds as if it could also be muted toms. If it is a bass drum, make sure the drum itself if not muffled when actually being played, only during production, because it sounds that way in the song. Most rock drummers muffle bass drums to give this sound. https://youtu.be/MjzXpdqg6V8?t=3m16s

Also, the snare drum does sound muffled, and there sounds like reverb on the hi hat towards the end of the loop.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:40 pm

That was actually pretty in-depth and really helpful. Thanks Straw! When I have a chance (currently in the process of telling my job to suck it so I can start my government job), I'll give it a whirl and see how it turns out.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Straw » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm almost certain its that, but the only other thing that I could think of was similarly to the way Roger taps his bass strings at the start of Time to make those alternating percussive noises that sound really cool. That may have been used alongside it, who knows.
Straw
Meddle

Return to Band Discussion