Pink Floyd. A Biopic.

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Pink Floyd. A Biopic.

Postby Floydy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Ok. I'm pretty sure that most of us here at Floydians has at least thought about what a film about favorite band would be like. But who would you like to see play our beloved boys from Britain?

Aaaaand discus.
Floydy
Meddle

Re: Pink Floyd. A Biopic.

Postby Dyolf » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:50 pm

There was discussion about a film about the band's early days being made a few years back. I believe that Johnny Depp voiced his interest in playing Syd and that Ashton Kutcher had been approached to play David. Both terrible decisions I would think.
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:26 pm

Dyolf wrote:There was discussion about a film about the band's early days being made a few years back. I believe that Johnny Depp voiced his interest in playing Syd and that Ashton Kutcher had been approached to play David. Both terrible decisions I would think.

Oh dear God no. :shock:

I've actually never really thought about this. I think a band-sprawling biopic might not work too good (since they weren't really very open about anything for a long time), but maybe something focusing on 1978-1993 (first Wall conflicts up to the three-man reunion for The Division Bell) would be good. It would show the acrimony between band members, their attempts at doing things their own way, then end with Rick rejoining David and Nick for an epilogue about TDB and TER. As for actors, I don't even know. Maybe find some people in newer prog bands that can at least play and sing and try to find some physical similarities?
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Floydy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:49 pm

i've heard that Leonardo Decaprio was considered to play David Gilmour.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby quicksilver » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:25 pm

Karl Urban looks like David Gilmour:

Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Floydy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:29 pm

quicksilver wrote:Karl Urban looks like David Gilmour:

Floydy
Meddle

Postby Straw » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:35 pm

It would probably have terrible acting, a terrible plot, be completely exaggerated, piss off half the community, favour either Waters or Gilmour in that argument (i.e. take sides, possibly antagonize), be really bias, and get terrible reviews; but I would still see it, yes.

Also I can kind of see a way of making this work at the same time. A film about Syd would easily (in my view) be the best option because his story is quite unique (note entirely - pretty basic drug issues leads to decline and what not) and sad, and he is revered by so many people in the way that he is. Plus, Syd is just such a character. Hmm, now that I think of this it could work nicely. Also kind of like that Ray Charles movie, that was actually pretty good.

For the actual question I don't know many actors at all, so I have no idea who would play who. Well you'd also probably need at least two people to play Syd because he gained weight and shaved everything.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Straw wrote:Well you'd also probably need at least two people to play Syd because he gained weight and shaved everything.

That's exactly what they did in the biopic Love & Mercy. Paul Dino plays the young 1960s Brian Wilson, and John Cusack plays the old drug-scarred 1980s Brian Wilson. Haven't seen it yet, but it looks great.
Alec Taylor

Postby Straw » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:44 pm

A movie about Brian Wilson is probably very similar to what one about Syd would be. I didn't even know that existed..
Straw
Meddle

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:17 pm

It had one of those limited releases in theaters back in late April, and I don't think it's had a home release yet. So it's new.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:21 pm

Okay, so someone on Reddit said that Adam Driver (from Girls and The Force Awakens) looked a lot like Roger Waters. So, we have Karl Urban playing David, and now we can through in Adam Driver as Roger! That just leaves Rick, Syd, and Bob Klose.
Alec Taylor

Return to Band Discussion