Echoes and 2001: A Space Odyssey

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Echoes and 2001: A Space Odyssey

Postby Straw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:40 am

I think probably everyone here has heard of the theory that Dark Side of the Moon was written as a soundtrack for The Wizard of Oz. You've all probably heard of this one as well, but I just think theory has far more grounds of evidence, or is far more coincidental.

The theory is that Echoes was written to dub over the last 'chapter' of 2001, called Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite. The best video I could find of the sync is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88PQP2yX8_w. I am still not really sure what I think of this (whether or not I think it was intentional or not), but I think far more matches up in this than in the Wizard of Oz sync.

This would also make more sense because Echoes does have a very avant garde, spacey feel similar to the movie. 2001 is actually one of my favourite movies as well.

Bits I think sync:
- Opening 3 minutes works well
- 4:30 onwards during wormhole/space travel scene
- 10:38 onwards across landscapes
- 14:28 as soon as he gets to the room the Shine On style synth in the background starts back up
- After this while guitar and drums are building up
- 19:10 angle switch and tension end at the same time vocals come back in. Audience is then shown that there is nothing there and old Dave returns to his seat
- 22:09 when the camera zooms on the monolith the voices in the background start up and match the ending of the movie perfectly

Also there is no dialogue during the entirety of the last chapter of the movie, so a song dubbed over the top would actually work quite well.
Straw
Meddle

Re: Echoes and 2001: A Space Odyssey

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:04 am

I've actually seen this before, and out of all of the Pink Floyd movie sync theories, this one is the only one I've seen that actually works. Granted, I do believe it was purely a coincidence, but it works wonderfully. I was just telling my girlfriend all about it the other day, much to her "enjoyment". :lol:
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby The Silver Lining » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:35 am

I watched the sync a couple of years ago, and I have to say I was impressed. Especially the ending (with the monolith) was spot-on.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Straw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:35 am

To be honest I do find it hard to say that this is a coincidence. Apart from fitting together, 2001 just seems like the exact type of movie you'd write a song called Echoes with those lyrics for.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:32 pm

I can't remember the exact lyrics off the top of my head, but originally there was a verse in "Echoes" that mentioned the meeting of two planets in space. I think they dropped them because they were tired of the space rock tag.
Alec Taylor

Postby Lady Floydian » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:38 pm

My opinion about all of this has always been, if you go into something looking for or hoping for a particular outcome, you'll find it.
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:16 pm

Lady Floydian wrote:My opinion about all of this has always been, if you go into something looking for or hoping for a particular outcome, you'll find it.

Truth. Just a classic case of apophenia, if you ask me. ;)
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:30 pm

It is an impressive sync, but I think its completely coincidental. I've also seen Echoes synced with the Atom Heart Mother Suite. I just find it hard to believe the band would consciously spend valuable time doing this with for no reason.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Straw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:35 am

quicksilver wrote:I just find it hard to believe the band would consciously spend valuable time doing this with for no reason.

If you apply this to the Echoes/2001 sync, I think that because the band has had experience writing for a film before, and because really it wouldn't take that much effort (Its not like every sound matches every movement of the movie perfectly - its more just general areas) it is somewhat of a possibility. Most of the syncing could be done in post-production anyway, like the voices as the camera zooms into the monolith and then to the space baby.
Straw
Meddle

Return to Band Discussion