Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:52 am

We rank what we like all the time, from songs to albums to solo work, and even the album artwork. Let's talk about what we don't like.

My Bottom Ten PF Songs (with #1 being my absolute least favorite)
10. A Great Day for Freedom
9. Bring the Boys Back Home
8. Night Light
7. Yet Another Movie / Round and Around
6. A Spanish Piece
5. Party Sequence
4. Seamus
3. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
2. Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Dessert
1. The Fletcher Memorial Home
User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Press Garden, WI

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Artisan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:58 am

i need some time to decide my #1 pick
User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Straw » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:41 am

A Great Day for Freedom would probably make my top 20. I honestly don't understand why or how it gets the hate that it does. Same with Yet Another Movie. Can someone explain?

I tried to keep it to ten, ended up just ranking all the Pink Floyd songs I hate. Also, full controversy mode, no secrets in this saucer.

25. Let There Be More Light | Awesome intro, turns boring
24. Pow R. Toc H. | No thanks
23. The Gold Its In The... | Sweeter than a diabetic's blood test
22. Cirrus Minor | Boring
21. One Slip | Unforgiving lyrics and no real structure
20. See-Saw | Boring
19. Fearless | Extremely boring
18. The Post-War Dream | Roger's voice
17. A Spanish Piece | Fuck you
16. Wearing the Inside Out | Extremely boring
15. Atom Heart Mother | Shitty production, minimal effort, boring
14. Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk | Fuck You
13. If | Boring, fuck you
12. Bring the Boys Back Home | Laughably bad sounding
11. A Saucerful of Secrets | Boring, not even music
10. One of the Few | Roger's lip-smacking. I don't want to hear you fucking eat the microphone.
9. Poles Apart | Boring, bitchy, boring
8. Seamus | 2 minutes too long
7. Keep Talking | Half time drums, annoying backup singers, annoying Stephen Hawking
6. Waiting for the Worms | Annoying voice, boring, wtf megaphone part
5. The Show Must Go On | Shitty reentry after awesome song
4. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast | Fuck You, see number 10
3. Corporal Clegg | Fuck you, kazoo solo
2. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict | FUCK YOU
1. Free Four | FUUUCCKKKKK YOUUUUUUU
User avatar
Straw
Meddle
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:48 am
Location: Australia

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:20 am

Have to say, "Fuck you" is one of the greatest song ratings I've ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised if Robert Christgau has a couple of reviews with those exact words.
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location: Kessel-Lo

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:39 pm

On that note, my favorite bad songs:

1. Dogs of War: The song itself is bad, but what makes it truly terrible is the lyrics. When I find some old notes of mine with lyrics I wrote when I was 11, I sometimes chuckle and shake my head at how silly and cliché it all was. Well, this song elicits that same reaction from me.
2. Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2: Not all that bad per se, but it's just so annoying that such a mediocre song turned out to be the one Pink Floyd song that absolutely everyone knows. When someone says they dislike Pink Floyd because they dislike this song, I just feel sad because they don't know what they're missing out. David's guitar solo is really awesome though.
3. Poles Apart: The lyrics are horrible, with metaphors that don't make sense, and a verse about Syd that doesn't do him justice at all. The line "The rain fell slow down of all the roofs of uncertainty" makes me cringe. Musically, it's just weak. The chorus starts out in an unpleasantly abrupt way, the guitar solos are uninspired, the instrumental bridge is pointless, and the shuffle in the last verse is really out of place.
4. The Post War Dream: If the very first note of vocals in a song is flat, you should just redo the vocals. I haven't got a clue why Roger decided that this was good enough. Other than that, the song is quite weak as hell, and it's plagiarized.
5. Louder than Words: Again, the lyrics are the dealbreaker. Polly's lyrics are horrible in general, and in this case, they ruined an album that would have been flawless if it were instrumental. It's really a shame.
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location: Kessel-Lo

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Lady Floydian » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:40 pm

I think everyone knows what my #1 song will be, but I'll go in reverse order, ala SunShade, just to keep the suspense going.

10. The Dogs of WarBetter live than on the album, but only just.
9. Alan's Psychedelic BreakfastUtterly pointless cack. I don't want to hear some rando eating.
8. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PictSomeone explain to me the point of this, because I've yet to find it.
7. SeamusSomeone shut the fucking dog up.
6. One SlipAlso better live, but like The Dogs of War, not by much.
5. What Do You Want From MeI like the idea of it, not the execution. It's probably the most tepid of all inclusions on the list, its placement aside.
4. BikeReally, nearly all of the songs Syd Barrett wrote are just abysmal, but this one is representing all of them. The instrumental stuff was good, but the man was clearly not alright, and the lyrics are just too ridiculous for me to listen to without both wanting to laugh and wanting to hate myself for laughing at a sick man.
3. On The RunYeah, yeah, I know it's on Dark Side, but they should have kept The Travel Sequence instead. The Travel Sequence was brilliant and sounded great live. This was just a mess. I appreciate the work that was put into making it, but it ruins the flow of the album.
2. Pigs on the Wing pts. 1 & 2More pointless warbling by Roger. Dogs should have taken up all of Side 1 and Sheep could have been made a couple of minutes longer. I get that he really, really wuvved his wife Caroline, but if I want to listen to sappy love songs, I'll put on Air Supply.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
1. Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2What a piece of utter shite this song is. Holy crap. It makes me angry just knowing it exists, much less listening to it. Disco drums, insipid lyrics full of grammatically incorrect sentences, the fact that everyone who claims to be a Pink Floyd fan only knows this song, and proves it by calling it "We Don't Need No Education".....fucking hell. I wish I could send every copy of this dirge into space and then retrofire it into the sun.
Image
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
User avatar
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: USA

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:59 pm

How I read this last post:

"Woo, Lady Floydian posted. Let's see what she has to say about Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2."

...

"... You did not disappoint."

10/10 for suspense. :lol:
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location: Kessel-Lo

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Lady Floydian » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:47 pm

*takes a bow*
Image
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
User avatar
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: USA

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:41 pm

TIL that no one likes "Poles Apart". :(
User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Press Garden, WI

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Lady Floydian » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:48 pm

SunShade wrote:TIL that no one likes "Poles Apart". :(


I love Poles Apart, but I've always been in the minority when it comes to that song and the album it's on.
Image
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
User avatar
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: USA

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Lady Floydian wrote:
SunShade wrote:TIL that no one likes "Poles Apart". :(


I love Poles Apart, but I've always been in the minority when it comes to that song and the album it's on.


I'm with you on this one, LF. I love "Poles Apart", and I love The Division Bell. The only songs from the album I don't really enjoy are "A Great Day of Freedom" and "Keep Talking", but I find that "Keep Talking" sounds pretty good in a live setting (as in Pulse).
User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Press Garden, WI

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Artisan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:12 pm

I really need to think about this one. I have the feeling at least half of my list is going to be from The Wall. I can do a list of songs I don't like, in no order, and then spend some time ordering them, but that wouldn't contribute much to the discussion of how amazing LF's final choice was.
User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby quicksilver » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Lady Floydian wrote:
SunShade wrote:TIL that no one likes "Poles Apart". :(


I love Poles Apart, but I've always been in the minority when it comes to that song and the album it's on.


Here's to the minority !!
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
User avatar
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Lady Floydian » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:39 pm

I'm sorry to have hijacked the thread with my vitriolic opinion of ABITW pt. 2. :lol:
Image
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
User avatar
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: USA

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Artisan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Don't worry, I know for a fact Sunshade, quicksilver, and probably Arno and Straw are eagerly awaiting my comments on Hey You. I just seriously don't know what 10-2 will be.
User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Artisan wrote:Don't worry, I know for a fact Sunshade, quicksilver, and probably Arno and Straw are eagerly awaiting my comments on Hey You. I just seriously don't know what 10-2 will be.


You know what will happen if "Hey You" isn't in the #1 spot...

Image

;)
User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Press Garden, WI

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Lady Floydian » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Artisan wrote:Don't worry, I know for a fact Sunshade, quicksilver, and probably Arno and Straw are eagerly awaiting my comments on Hey You. I just seriously don't know what 10-2 will be.


I think you hate Hey You almost as much as I hate Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2. I'm eagerly waiting your rant. :lol:
Image
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
User avatar
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: USA

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby quicksilver » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Artisan wrote:Don't worry, I know for a fact Sunshade, quicksilver, and probably Arno and Straw are eagerly awaiting my comments on Hey You. I just seriously don't know what 10-2 will be.


Ya, should be very entertaining. I'll get a bowl of popcorn and a few refreshments ready to go.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
User avatar
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Straw » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:39 am

Lady Floydian wrote:7. SeamusSomeone shut the fucking dog up.
...
4. BikeReally, nearly all of the songs Syd Barrett wrote are just abysmal, but this one is representing all of them. The instrumental stuff was good, but the man was clearly not alright, and the lyrics are just too ridiculous for me to listen to without both wanting to laugh and wanting to hate myself for laughing at a sick man.
3. On The RunYeah, yeah, I know it's on Dark Side, but they should have kept The Travel Sequence instead. The Travel Sequence was brilliant and sounded great live. This was just a mess. I appreciate the work that was put into making it, but it ruins the flow of the album.
2. Pigs on the Wing pts. 1 & 2More pointless warbling by Roger. Dogs should have taken up all of Side 1 and Sheep could have been made a couple of minutes longer. I get that he really, really wuvved his wife Caroline, but if I want to listen to sappy love songs, I'll put on Air Supply.


I lol'd severely hard at your review of Seamus. Also I disagree with 4-2. Syd's lyrics don't make sense, sure, but their not exactly Polly standard we're talking about. I think Bike is more of a joke song than an actual piece of music to be listened to, and also one of the funniest things ever. I actually really legitimately like it. I am basically the opposite on your stance of On The Run. I don't exactly like it, and would never go within shitting distance of it if it were on its own, but mixed in between Breathe and Time I think it works outstandingly well. Pigs on the Wing to me is both the calm before and after the storm. Like the suspense before chaos, then the clean-up afterwards. Furthermore, I think a love song works in the position. Also I never knew you hated Another Brick in the Wall that much. :o I have to agree with you that its not a great song, but for different reasons. I think that it just doesn't work as a part of The Wall. It's so out of place, a disco pop radio song amongst everything from opera-like to hardcore progressive rock. There are a few songs on The Wall that just don't work though if you ask me, see my post above.

And yes Artisan, I am indeed waiting on a Hey You post.
User avatar
Straw
Meddle
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:48 am
Location: Australia

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby The Silver Lining » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:51 am

I agree with Sunshade about On The Run. It's not my cup of tea, but it works really well in between Breathe and Time. If Time followed Breathe right away, the album's dynamics wouldn't work that well, I think. I couldn't imagine DSotM without On The Run.

Now I'm waiting for Artisan's post though. I actually think he might place Hey You on #2, just to shock us all. I expect riots.
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location: Kessel-Lo

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Vegetable Layne » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:07 am

Man, many great songs listed here, hahaha

Anyway, here's my top 5, since I can't think of them all right now:

Pow R. Toc H. (you wouldn't know this is Roger Waters' by the sound of it)
Seamus (doesn't hold up at all)
Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert (and not dessert :p) (kind of space wasting, isn't it?)
Dogs of War (a lame retread of half of The Final Cut's message, but without the lyrical or even essential meaning)
Louder than Words (I love the sentiment, but its lazily written and composed, and it shows)
Image
User avatar
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:54 am

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Straw » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:46 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:I agree with Sunshade about On The Run. It's not my cup of tea, but it works really well in between Breathe and Time. If Time followed Breathe right away, the album's dynamics wouldn't work that well, I think. I couldn't imagine DSotM without On The Run.

Now I'm waiting for Artisan's post though. I actually think he might place Hey You on #2, just to shock us all. I expect riots.


But... but... that's what I said..

Also really enjoying this thread. Like Pet Peeves (followed by an unscrupulous amount of dots), it's very nice to hear like minded people rant about like minded things.

And readying my pitchfork for Hey You.
User avatar
Straw
Meddle
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:48 am
Location: Australia

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Straw » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Vegetable Layne wrote:Man, many great songs listed here, hahaha

Anyway, here's my top 5, since I can't think of them all right now:

Pow R. Toc H. (you wouldn't know this is Roger Waters' by the sound of it)
Seamus (doesn't hold up at all)
Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert (and not dessert :p) (kind of space wasting, isn't it?)
Dogs of War (a lame retread of half of The Final Cut's message, but without the lyrical or even essential meaning)
Louder than Words (I love the sentiment, but its lazily written and composed, and it shows)


That description of Dogs of War is perfect. It is lame above all, isn't it?
User avatar
Straw
Meddle
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:48 am
Location: Australia

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:11 pm

I created this thread but didn't even insert humorous song descriptions into my own list. :lol:
User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Press Garden, WI

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Postby Artisan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:33 pm

All right, you wanted it, well here it is.

EDIT: It would help tremendously if I actually pasted the friggin thing.

10. Absolutely Curtains
It feels weird putting this one at the top of the list. Come to think of it, I probably should have put Party Sequence or anything from side 4 of The Wall here. I've actually grown to enjoy this one, especially the first half. But it needs a place on this list for closing out the beautiful Obscured By Clouds album with some absolutely ridiculous... well, everything about it! I don't dislike the song as much as I dislike what it is, I suppose.

9. The Dogs Of War
It really is a pain to order these. This is another one I've sort of warmed to - rather ironically, because the reason I don't like it that much is because of how cold and mechanical it is. It doesn't breathe. Still, there are parts I enjoy, but only when I really think about them. Otherwise this one usually gets the skip from me.

8. Bring The Boys Back Home
This should be higher on the list, but it's not because I'm a hypocrite. This song is completely pointless. It reuses the falling chord sequence whatever-the-hell that made Vera so poignant and instead makes it contrived. Roger's voice sounds great, but it's buried under the tuneless crowd chanting. I'd say it usually gets the skip from me, but when the hell do I listen to The Wall anyway?

7. The Trial
Stupid. I wish I could bring myself to put this higher on the list. It's just annoying. Some of the character voices are amusing, and I like the dumb little wail that introduces Pink's mother, but this is just an over-dramatic un-song. Plot-wise, it makes more sense than Bring The Boys Back Home, but what the hell kind of plot does disc 2 have anway? Next...

6. Yet Another Movie/Round And Around
Dumber and slower than Dogs of War. At least Dogs of War had a message. This is just crappy. Round and Around is better, but not by much. Just a really dull, lame, boring, bad song.

5. The Grand Vizier's Garden Party
Wait, I'm really putting this at number 5? This high up? Guess so. Makes for a kind of amusing listen, and the ten seconds of drumming is actually quite good. However, thanks to Skins, I no longer need to sit through eight minutes of tape loop bullshit to hear Nick Mason play a drum solo. And the flute intro and tag feel really out of place.

4. Quicksilver (the forum member, not the song)
BORING BORING BORING. NEVER DOES ANYTHING INTERESTING.

The Real 4. Quicksilver (the song)
BORING BORING BORING. NEVER DOES ANYTHING INTERESTING. Unlike the great man I just lied about in the previous number 4, this song wastes my time without being entertaining. However, I can totally see the connection between the lack of music in this song that he's named after and the amount of ellipses he usually uses................................ Hey, that's a good description of the song.

3. Waiting For The Worms
Someone needs to tell Roger about a little thing called "meter". It means, "not extending your already crappy verses to fit in more crappy lyrics". Being a chant, there is no melody (unlike Bring The Boys Back Home, which sucked but at least had a melody, even if it had already been used enough in the previous song). I will admit that I like the very, very beginning (up to "walk on by". Had it not been for Stop, 30 seconds of the 3 minutes total of piano on the album, that would be the perfect place to shut the album off for me. Instead, I'll just play disc 1 and maybe two tracks from the second disc, and I'll live my life just fine. Actually, I'll just do what I always do and not play the thing in the first place.

2. Sysyphus
Art or not, this song just irritates me. I do this to my piano when I'm angry at it and the cops get called - why the hell does this crap get lauded as fine art? Part 1: What's this, an Egyptian dirge. Part 2: moderately good playing that gives way to me submersing my head in the toilet. Part 3: the sound my brain makes when it tries to think. Part 4: YOU NEED TO BUY NEW FUCKING SPEAKERS.

And last, but, of course, not least...













.............................................






............





1. Tumbling Dice
Good lord, I hate everything about this song. The insipid backing vocals, the muddy production, the godawful lyrics. I mean, pull up the lyric video and try to follow along - not only do the lyrics suck, but he sings it so badly! You can't understand a damn word! Overlong and just plain horrible, that's the name of this one. God, such a freaking terrible song.
Last edited by Artisan on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Next

Return to Band Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest