Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Re: Top 10 Worst Pink Floyd Songs

Post by Lady Floydian » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:29 pm

:lol:
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:24 am

As in the Rolling Stones song? If so, I like that song... Also your review of Sysyphus was almost enough to count for the fact that You Know What was not ranted upon.

Anyway, as far as Yet Another Movie goes, almost everyone except me hates it. It's probably my favourite song on that album. As for Quicksilver (the song), I actually like that as well. I'm surprised you hate Quicksilver more than A Saucerful of Secrets. Quicksilver sounds like beautiful bliss, very tranquil and calming. A Saucerful of Secrets sounds like you've just been told you won't be waking up from said acid trip. Scary, dark, vile, yet somehow still really boring. Also I firmly agree with your thoughts of The Trial, and especially what you said about Stop.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:16 am

I'm sorry, Lady Floydian, but Artisan's post blew yours away against all odds. Holy damn I am glad this forum exists even for just this thread.

On the subject though: I like Yet Another Movie as well! I mean, it's not nearly my favorite song, but there's something haunting about the verses. The chorus and the lyrics are stupid though, even if I like the "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" line.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Since everyone else is doing lengthy reviews about the worst song, I guess I will write an extended response on the topic of Free Four. Serious amounts of swearing used, for comedic purposes only. Don't start making assumptions.

The unscrupulous crime against humanity of a song "Free Four" is the eighth song on the band's seventh album, "Obscured By Clouds". On what is otherwise a quite solid album, and especially noble accompaniment to a film (regardless of said film's quality), Free Four smugly positions itself like a horrendous and aggressive tumor between two generally fantastic tracks. One will rarely even touch the second side of a vinyl pressing of the album because of the fact that there is no efficient skip button. Raising the stylus is the listener's most effective option, but unfortunately users will more often than not forget to do so and still hear the abhorrent cockney count-in. This count in... why? Just why? One, two... free, four? Once you get past the bohemith of an intro, you are so politely greeted by acoustic guitars that sound more like the band picked up untuned sitars left in the studio after George Harrison visited several years earlier and got high as a kite taped to a space shuttle. The mentioned acoustic guitars pose the song's chief problem, mainly because they sound worse than superhero Wolverine's foreplay with a blackboard would. I could make a better fucking sound on a guitar with, $20 worth of wood and strings, and absolutely no knowledge of chords. You know what, I'll go ahead and say the guitar work here is worse than that of Trout Mask Replica. The other annoying sound, which is what I can only assume is a guitar, is that distasteful drone you can often lamentably hear on beat one, whose production (effort? I don't even know) is shittier than that of anything Neutral Milk Hotel and the drums of Sway put together and multiplied by the unidentifiable series of many digits representing Artisan's hate for Hey You. Seriously, who the fuck thought this was acceptable? Furthermore, who thought the song needed this? The lyrics of this utter masterpiece, apart from being morbid as all hell, are actually not that bad. This, of course, excludes the line "You may find it hard to get off", which I can only hope is not about what I think it is. If it is, "why?". If it isn't, "why?". Also, you can fuck right off with those philosophical questions. These lyrics are also so out of place in a song with such a playful sound. It's like if you wrote a song about the meaning of life and the tune was that of San Tropez. What the fuck? Moving on, the middle-of-the-song guitar solo is actually pretty awesome, but really; what else would you expect from Gilmour? Nevertheless, the shitty sitar-esque stringed motherfuckers don't go away, and yet another guitar randomly appears beneath the solo which begs the question: who the fuck is/are playing all these? How many shitty sounding guitars do you need for one song? Another solo gripe is that the drums go into double-time for every second bar (aka measure). This I fucking hate in any song. It just makes it sound so patched together. The second guitar solo sounds more like it was done by Gilmour in the studio while there was a very limited supply of cheesecake being visibly devoured in the editing room by misters Waters, Wright and Mason. If you didn't get this, I mean it sounds rushed. As hell. Also speaking of Wright, what on earth does he do during this? Does he play guitar? Can he play guitar? This only raises more questions! ... ... Just looked it up. Apparently he operates the synth. What synth? Is that that shitty sound I mentioned earlier that I thought was an electric guitar? If so, it sounds even more abysmally out of place and deplorably produced than before. Fucking hell. Ultimately, after all this shittiness put together, the song suffers from one hugely massive problem. The tune in general is just really fucking annoying. Even if the production here was transcendent of Kid A standards and everything I previously mentioned was 100% fixed, this would still easily make the top 3 on my list of worst Pink Floyd songs anyway. Just add up all those woeful factors and you have the song I hate most in this world.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:37 pm

Straw wrote:As in the Rolling Stones song? If so, I like that song... Also your review of Sysyphus was almost enough to count for the fact that You Know What was not ranted upon.

Anyway, as far as Yet Another Movie goes, almost everyone except me hates it. It's probably my favourite song on that album. As for Quicksilver (the song), I actually like that as well. I'm surprised you hate Quicksilver more than A Saucerful of Secrets. Quicksilver sounds like beautiful bliss, very tranquil and calming. A Saucerful of Secrets sounds like you've just been told you won't be waking up from said acid trip. Scary, dark, vile, yet somehow still really boring. Also I firmly agree with your thoughts of The Trial, and especially what you said about Stop.
No, as in the song from Wish You Were Here

I love ASOS, especially the live one from Ummagumma/Pompeii. Quicksilver, on the other hand - I must have listened to this song 50+ times in my life and I STILL can't even remember one second of it! As far as I can tell, it's seven minutes of silence. Filler city. And Yet Another Movie, slow droning synthpop with really bad lyrics.

I love Free Four but I do agree about the sound quality and the weird droning thing.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:52 pm

I share your opinion about Quicksilver actually. I am aware of its presence, and I sort of know what it sounds like, but I can't recall a single second from it after having heard it countless times.

I'm sure it made sense for the movie though. Sometimes, soundtracks without their context just sound pointless like that.

Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Post by Lady Floydian » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:05 pm

I love Yet Another Movie. There's a melancholy and despair in it that I really connect with.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Artisan wrote:All right, you wanted it, well here it is.

1. Tumbling Dice
I warned you what would happen if you snubbed "Hey You". It's time to get the ban hammer.

10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:54 pm

Lady Floydian wrote:I love Yet Another Movie. There's a melancholy and despair in it that I really connect with.
I feel the same, I've always loved that song particularly live. I'm naturally attracted to melancholy and despair.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:21 am

I love Yet Another Movie - not as much as others, but its definitely a good track from AMLOR.
Straw wrote:Anyway, as far as Yet Another Movie goes, almost everyone except me hates it.
Count us four. Free Four. :)

Floydy
Meddle

Post by Floydy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:07 am

How many songs are there on The Division Bell?

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:48 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:I share your opinion about Quicksilver actually. I am aware of its presence, and I sort of know what it sounds like, but I can't recall a single second from it after having heard it countless times.

I'm sure it made sense for the movie though. Sometimes, soundtracks without their context just sound pointless like that.
I'm looking at you, A Spanish Piece!

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:47 pm

Floydy wrote:How many songs are there on The Division Bell?
Eleven, so pick your fav and dump the rest. ;)
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:12 pm

Can I just say writing my list and thinking over it for a few days, I have come to realize I don't love Obscured By Clouds as much as I thought...

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:10 pm

The problem with putting songs like "Night Light", "Bring the Boys Back Home" etc. is that they only work as part of the album. As an individual track they're not going to work, so maybe it's unfair to single them out as being some of their "worst". Crap like "Sisyphus","The Grand Vizier's Garden Party", "Several Species of Small Fury Animals...", "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast", "Seamus", "A Spanish Piece", "Quicksilver", "Absolutely Curtains", "Pow R. Toc H." and "Pigs on the Wing" are all fair game in my opinion.
Y Chwe Gwlad 2019 The Six Nations 2019

Ffrainc France 19 – 24 Cymru Wales
Yr Eidal Italy 15 – 26 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 21 – 13 Lloegr England
Yr Alban Scotland 11 – 18 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 25 – 7 Iwerddon Ireland

:mrgreen:

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Dyolf wrote:The problem with putting songs like "Night Light", "Bring the Boys Back Home" etc. is that they only work as part of the album. As an individual track they're not going to work, so maybe it's unfair to single them out as being some of their "worst". Crap like "Sisyphus","The Grand Vizier's Garden Party", "Several Species of Small Fury Animals...", "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast", "Seamus", "A Spanish Piece", "Quicksilver", "Absolutely Curtains", "Pow R. Toc H." and "Pigs on the Wing" are all fair game in my opinion.
Maybe they are part of something bigger, but it doesn't change the fact that those parts suck.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:41 pm

Artisan wrote:
Dyolf wrote:The problem with putting songs like "Night Light", "Bring the Boys Back Home" etc. is that they only work as part of the album. As an individual track they're not going to work, so maybe it's unfair to single them out as being some of their "worst". Crap like "Sisyphus","The Grand Vizier's Garden Party", "Several Species of Small Fury Animals...", "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast", "Seamus", "A Spanish Piece", "Quicksilver", "Absolutely Curtains", "Pow R. Toc H." and "Pigs on the Wing" are all fair game in my opinion.
Maybe they are part of something bigger, but it doesn't change the fact that those parts suck.
I've been tempted to make an edit of The Endless River where "On Noodle Street" flows straight into "Allons-y (1)", that is how much I hate "Night Light". If I want to listen to Side 3, I always have to skip "Night Light", otherwise I just start at "Allons-y (1)" and leave "The Lost Art of Conversation" and "On Noodle Street" neglected, and I love those tracks. Then again, I've also been tempted to edit "TBS14" into "Calling", but that's just because you can hear that the end of "TBS14" is the beginning of "Calling", so there might be a way to make it work. And as for "Bring the Boys Back Home", if you take it out of The Wall, it loses no lyrical, musical, or conceptual strength whatsoever. Not having it in the album makes it better, as Pink would be contemplating his lost childhood ("Vera") right before slipping into his comfortable numbness where he continues to remember his childhood (from when he was sick).
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:55 am

If I was to edit The Endless River, I'd definitely remove the yawn-inducing Louder than Words. Maybe replace it with Waters' demo Flickering Flame.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:01 am

Truth be told, "Louder Than Words" is really growing on me. The more I listen to it, the more I find the introductory music section to be really good. And the verses to me aren't too bad, it's the chorus that's bland and awful. I really like some of the verses now that they've set in.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:43 am

The intro is the worst part for me. That opening guitar line sounds too much like... Tumbling Dice. I like the rest of the song - not great, but much better than some of what's been listed here.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:41 am

Its just a dissapointing that the first, proper song in the catalog is nowhere near High Hopes, or any of records' last songs. Every Floyd record, I thought, had a strong closer, and I would've hoped the last song of the last record would also feature a little more profound lyrics than that.

THAT, is why I hoped Waters could've been brought back, one last time. A proper lyrical majesty, and the classic line-up for one last time. What would be the harm?

Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Post by Lady Floydian » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:41 am

Vegetable Layne wrote:Its just a dissapointing that the first, proper song in the catalog is nowhere near High Hopes, or any of records' last songs. Every Floyd record, I thought, had a strong closer, and I would've hoped the last song of the last record would also feature a little more profound lyrics than that.

THAT, is why I hoped Waters could've been brought back, one last time. A proper lyrical majesty, and the classic line-up for one last time. What would be the harm?
No harm necessarily, but Roger and David don't see eye to eye, and haven't in probably 40 years. They obviously don't want to work together anymore, not in that capacity, so I say they've earned the right to be arbitrary about it.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:30 am

Vegetable Layne wrote:Its just a dissapointing that the first, proper song in the catalog is nowhere near High Hopes, or any of records' last songs. Every Floyd record, I thought, had a strong closer, and I would've hoped the last song of the last record would also feature a little more profound lyrics than that.

I had exactly the same opinion about it. But then I tried to imagine how that phone call would go... David asking Roger to write the lyrics to a Pink Floyd song, but otherwise keep his filthy hands off of the whole record entirely. I think that David has too much tact and Roger has too much pride for either of them to want to do this.

Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Post by Vegetable Layne » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 am

I'd have settled for a better last song, in any case.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:05 pm

Roger would never have been a part of The Endless River. Maybe in fantasy land where Live 8 cured every ounce of animosity between David and him over decades, but not in reality. Roger himself even asked why people were wondering about his involvement anyway. He left the band exactly thirty years ago, he hasn't been Pink Floyd for longer than I've even been alive.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)