The 5th Beatle -- Pink Floyd edition

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Re: The 5th Beatle -- Pink Floyd edition

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:09 pm

In the whole songwriting credit debate: the way I see it, a credit is given if a person participates in writing the actual song. If Roger writes a chord sequence and David puts a solo on top, Roger wrote the song ("Money") and David just added to it. If Rick writes a chord sequence and Roger adds lyrics to it, then they wrote the song ("Us and Them"), but Dick and the choir girls don't get a credit because they just added to it. When it comes to "You've Gotta Be Crazy" and "Raving and Drooling", I'm fairly certain those were written by the band on the road, so it should be credits for everyone. I mean, everyone gets a credit on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" for writing it on the go, so it seems only natural.

In Claire Tory's case, Rick wrote the song itself, and Claire just added to it. She didn't write the part, she didn't partake in the songwriting process. The band gave her direction on how to yell, and she yelled. You don't see Dick Parry trying to get a credit for "Money" because his sax solo is iconic in one of Pink Floyd's most well-known and iconic songs.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:16 pm

To me, the only two ways to not deserve credit are to play song exactly to either sheet music or a tab or something, or to demand credit, ya know, 40 years after that window has closed. I think Clare Torry should have had a credit on that song, but whoever arranged the credits on that album (probably not Roger, but whoever it was) didn't agree with my views, and thus she was left off. If after she heard the finished album and realized she was on it and asked for a credit, that would have been fine, but that album was on the charts for 15 years straight, and it was long after it dropped off that she demanded credit.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby quicksilver » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:36 pm

SunShade wrote:
Artisan wrote:It's the fact that she waited 40+ years to demand authorship that makes me say she doesn't deserve it.

That's all it boils down to, to me. That's why I mentioned that she was the only non-candidate for the job (although it was mostly a joke, really). It's not like she sat around, then saw on the news that Dark Side was a major hit 40 years ago and thought "fuck me, didn't I sing on that? I better make sure everyone knows about it by snagging me a credit!"

I'm sure some lawyer got in her ear and started the whole process. She may deserve some credit, but I think the fact that she waited so long should've automatically disqualified her from any settlement.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Previous

Return to Band Discussion