The 5th Beatle -- Pink Floyd edition

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

The 5th Beatle -- Pink Floyd edition

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:57 pm

If there was such a thing as "the 5th Pink Floyd member", who would it be? Out of all the people affiliated with Pink Floyd during their post-Syd Barrett eras, who would you give this special title of honor?

I was going to say it's Polly Samson because of her lyrical contributions after Roger's departure, but then I remembered about Jon Carin and I think he's my favorite. He's a great instrumentalist who had quite some input on Pink Floyd's music in the later years. Bonus points because he was sort-of-simultaneously working with Roger Waters and Pink Floyd, and never let himself get distracted by their rivalry.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Re: The 5th Beatle -- Pink Floyd edition

Postby quicksilver » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm going to go with Bob Ezrin. Without his presence I don't believe "The Wall" would've achieved the astounding success that it did. Not only did he contribute to the record musically, but he also acted as a referee between David & Roger. I read an interview that was just published in "Consequence of Sound" where he says that although he believes that Roger is a genius in many ways, he had to fight him to get David more involved to make the record "More musical". I think he was the perfect person to balance things out between them. Of course he went on to play a major role in Davids "About Face" and Pink Floyd's " A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and "Division Bell".
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:52 pm

Come on fellas, the obvious one: Guy Pratt! He's been the bass player for Pink Floyd (unofficially) since Roger left (well, I guess Tony Levin did some session work in the mean time), and has stuck with David and Rick through the solo years. He even does some of the bass work on The Endless River. Bonus points for scoring with Rick's daughter I suppose. I know he's a versatile session player who's played with literally everyone, but I'd cast my vote for him as the legendary "Fifth Floyd".

EDIT: Make that "Sixth Floyd". Unlike the Beatles, PF were a five piece band in terms of core members. :lol:
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Floydy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Snowy White of course.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Lady Floydian » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:46 am

The arguments for Polly, Guy, and Jon are all really strong. If I had to choose but one, I'd probably pick Guy Pratt.
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:08 am

Hell, I'm on Team Pratt but I'd even throw Dick Parry into the ring. His sexy sax made Dark Side and Wish You Were Here.
Alec Taylor

Postby Straw » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:48 am

Despite everyone here's opinions, I would pick Ron Geesin or Dick Parry. Ron because of his help with Atom Heart Mother and Dick because he's played with the band for forever. Probably Dick actually.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Lady Floydian » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:39 am

SunShade wrote:Hell, I'm on Team Pratt but I'd even throw Dick Parry into the ring. His sexy sax made Dark Side and Wish You Were Here.

I hadn't thought of him, sadly. Good choice.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Vegetable Layne » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:29 am

Between Polly and Guy, for me. Mostly because Polly wrote the lyrics to two of their albums, and Guy did the bass for the post-Waters era... but I feel Pratt, while great, still isn't part of the creative force of the pieces, in terms of coming up with them or improving them by way of playing. In contrast, TDB wouldn't be nearly as good as it is without her influence in the lyrics, particularly in great like Poles Apart and High Hopes.

But in truth, there can't be a Fifth Floyd, because both came after Waters left. In my mind, a Fifth Floyd memeber has to be someone who was around at least the classic line-up, and had to be around for more than one album. So, really, no one.

Besides, its not really a Fifth Floyd, is it? Its Sixth, as pointed out. :)
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:45 pm

Technically, David Gilmour is the Fifth Floyd. :mrgreen:
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Guys it's clearly Bob Klose. What are you, stupid???
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:46 pm

Hell, Juliette Gale might have been the Fifth Floyd!
Alec Taylor

Postby Floydy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:37 pm

Storm Thorgeson.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Yeah, Storm for me. He pretty much designed the image that they're most regarded for. Plus he was with em the whole time, I'd say that accounts for something.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Straw » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:20 am

Has to be Dick if you ask me. He played with them basically through their best days and beyond.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:50 am

Straw wrote:Has to be Dick if you ask me. He played with them basically through their best days and beyond.

Well, if you ask me, Guy Pratt played through their best years. ;) But that's just a matter of taste. :mrgreen: Dick is just as deserving of the title as Guy, or Jon Carin, or anyone except Claire Tory really.
Alec Taylor

Postby Floydy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:50 am

SunShade wrote:
Straw wrote:Has to be Dick if you ask me. He played with them basically through their best days and beyond.

Well, if you ask me, Guy Pratt played through their best years. ;) But that's just a matter of taste. :mrgreen: Dick is just as deserving of the title as Guy, or Jon Carin, or anyone except Claire Tory really.

And yet she gets a writing credit. Sheesh.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Straw » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:59 am

Floydy wrote:
SunShade wrote:

And yet she gets a writing credit. Sheesh.

Anyone know the judge responsible for that? We should hunt him/her down.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Lady Floydian » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:38 pm

Perhaps it's a joke I'm clearly not important enough to be let in on, but why shouldn't Clare Torry have gotten a writing credit for TGGitS? She created those vocalizations, in essence "writing" them, so why shouldn't she be given some credit for that?

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Straw » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Firstly, she obviously only did it for a few quick bucks. Secondly, does Eric Clapton have a writing credit on While My Guitar Gently Weeps? No, he doesn't. He did the same thing as Torry, just came in and improvised on instrument of choice then left. The band told her what they wanted, even if it wasn't 100% specifically. Pretty sure they said something like "sing about death but without any words". What else are you supposed to do?
Straw
Meddle

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:35 am

Floydy wrote:Storm Thorgeson.

I opened this thread because I thought of that name suddenly as well. I think I'd actually pick him over Jon Carin now.

About Clare Torry: indeed, she should definitely not have gotten credits for that part. In rock music, every instrument's role always has some degree of improvisation, and this is something that simply never receives songwriting credit (probably, at least partly, because improvising is pretty much the opposite of composing, if you think about it). Just like Nick shouldn't receive credit for his part in Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, and David shouldn't receive credit for his guitar solos in < insert every Pink Floyd song he played a solo for >, Clare shouldn't have gotten credit for her part of The Great Gig in the Sky. I'm pretty sure that it was ruled in her favor because her instrument was vocals, and people still seem to think that vocals are somehow more important in music than other instruments are. It's really ridiculous, and I think it has completely blurred the line between "playing your part and taking ownership over it" and "composing a song".
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Straw » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:10 pm

I think in the legal side of things when it comes to Torry, it's a very on the fence kind of case. Yes, I can see why people would argue that she does deserve credit, I just don't personally think so myself. I guess in court it just comes down to the fact that she probably had a pretty good lawyer.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:15 pm

She definitely deserves to have a credit as a performer on the song, no doubt. But a writing credit? With me, I think that anyone who composes anything toward a song on any instrument should be credited for it. Extreme cases like Sheep or lighter cases like anything on the Final Cut. Unless you're playing exactly to sheet music or something. I think that improvisation is a form of composing. If I had a group and the bass player invented a lick that we decided to keep in the song, I would give that bass player credit. Similarly, I would credit guitarists for improvised solos. I think that improvising is just another form of composition. But this is Pink Floyd, where Rick doesn't get credits for Sheep, so Clare getting immediate credit was pretty much out of the question. It's the fact that she waited 40+ years to demand authorship that makes me say she doesn't deserve it. If you want credit, ask right away. I feel you have every right to.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:39 pm

Artisan wrote:It's the fact that she waited 40+ years to demand authorship that makes me say she doesn't deserve it.

That's all it boils down to, to me. That's why I mentioned that she was the only non-candidate for the job (although it was mostly a joke, really). It's not like she sat around, then saw on the news that Dark Side was a major hit 40 years ago and thought "fuck me, didn't I sing on that? I better make sure everyone knows about it by snagging me a credit!"
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:35 am

This just in: Roy Harper is now demanding songwriter credit for Have A Cigar, claiming his voice breaking during the word "grease" is what made the song.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Next

Return to Band Discussion