Best Live Performance?

Discussion about Pink Floyd's albums, concerts, films, etc. go here.

Best Live Performance?

Postby Vegetable Layne » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:46 pm

Go!
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Re: Best Live Performance?

Postby Lady Floydian » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Which tour? Bootlegs or official recordings?
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby quicksilver » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:06 pm

Well since no parameters were outlined I will throw out some of my favorites:

1. September 1971 Montreux
2. June 1977 Boston Garden
3. September 1987 Milwaukee
4. June 1975 Nassau Col, NY
5. 1994 Rotterdam
6. 2006 David Gilmour- Live in Gdansk
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Lady Floydian » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:12 pm

All superb choices. The reason I asked is because I have boots from every single tour they did, and in the case of the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, they toured in three separate years, and each year, I think, I had a standout show. There are also official recordings that are very good as well. Then you have things like their appearances on the BBC, the KQED show, and other live performances that aren't in a tour setting.

I'll have to do some research and get back to everyone with my list.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Artisan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Not much a live aficionado but they really captured magic on the live disc of Ummagumma. If all of their shows were as successful as this one (or two, I believe it was compiled from two back to back shows?) I should probably bite the bullet and dive in.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:56 am

Artisan wrote:Not much a live aficionado but they really captured magic on the live disc of Ummagumma. If all of their shows were as successful as this one (or two, I believe it was compiled from two back to back shows?) I should probably bite the bullet and dive in.

I agree. I've heard a lot of people saying that A Saucerful of Secrets was "finished" on Ummagumma, i.e. they finally recorded the version that they truly considered to be what they wanted.

My personal favorite is Live in Pompeii, with Live8 a close second. Live in Pompeii is a superb performance, full of energy with great guitar solos, great keyboard and bass playing. Most of all, Nick Mason completely rocks the show in this performance.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:17 pm

This is probably a crazy unpopular opinion, but I'm going to state it anyway.

Nick Mason before Dark Side was a drumming beast. Nick Mason after Dark Side was a drumming sloth and practically expendable.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Floydy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:51 am

SunShade wrote:This is probably a crazy unpopular opinion, but I'm going to state it anyway.

Nick Mason before Dark Side was a drumming beast. Nick Mason after Dark Side was a drumming sloth and practically expendable.

Good thing this isn't Facebook mate. The Nick Mason fringe would have had your head on a stake by now.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:48 pm

Floydy wrote:
SunShade wrote:This is probably a crazy unpopular opinion, but I'm going to state it anyway.

Good thing this isn't Facebook mate. The Nick Mason fringe would have had your head on a stake by now.

It's just like "Astronomy Domine" and "One of These Days" vs. "Dogs" and "What Do You Want From Me". Those were just random song choices, but the early years definitely saw Nick give a shit and power those drums into oblivion. On the other hand, I could probably play the drums from The Division Bell with a few evenings of practice. At least we got "Skins".
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:01 pm

It's the songs, not Nick. A song like Interestellar Overdrive or A Saucerful Of Secrets is a sonic journey and everyone plays a part. It was about expanding the world of possibility. When Roger started taking over and writing these more lyrically driven songs, drums were there to keep rhythm. Apart from the slight fanciness of In The Flesh, I doubt Roger allowed Nick to do anything but keep time. Then the 80s happened and Nick probably never even touched a drum kit. With Division Bell it was back to real instruments but again they were pop songs, they weren't sonic explorations.

It's not that Nick's skill deteriorated - it's that the music moved in a direction that his area of expertise, so to speak, did not fit with. I find the drumming on Animals to be as tight and technical as ever, even though it doesn't sound like Syncopated Pandemonium or one of his other, more flashy bits.

Nick knew his place and he filled the role of the drummer however he wanted. Floyd was hardly a democratic band once they started getting successful, and Nick knew that. He did what he was told, and I think he did a fine job of it.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Vegetable Layne » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:30 am

No Animal Instincts or Or There Anybody Out There, then?
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:54 am

Nick Mason's drumming style became very minimalist, which is exactly what "classic era" Pink Floyd needed. Indeed it's sad that we didn't get to see that beast anymore, but I couldn't disagree more when you said he was expendable.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:32 pm

I wouldn't say expendable, but he could have been replaced and the public probably wouldn't have noticed. He still had his character but it was harder to see behind everything that was going on at the time
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:08 pm

Artisan wrote:I wouldn't say expendable, but he could have been replaced and the public probably wouldn't have noticed. He still had his character but it was harder to see behind everything that was going on at the time

That's probably closer to what I meant without sounding as harsh.
Alec Taylor

Postby Lady Floydian » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:04 pm

Vegetable Layne wrote:No Animal Instincts or Or There Anybody Out There, then?

Animal Instincts is good, but Mr. Pig is better. I'm still researching my list. I should have it up later this evening, I hope.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Vegetable Layne » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:43 am

Lady Floydian wrote:Animal Instincts is good, but Mr. Pig is better.

Whats Mr. Pig? I'm fairly new at this live thing.
Vegetable Layne
Ummagumma

Postby Lady Floydian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Vegetable Layne wrote:
Lady Floydian wrote:Animal Instincts is good, but Mr. Pig is better.

Whats Mr. Pig? I'm fairly new at this live thing.

A bootleg from the same show Animal Instincts is from — May 9, 1977 at Oakland Alameda Coliseum.

Alright folks, here's my list of the best Pink Floyd live performances, painstakingly crafted after listening to over 300 bootlegs, which let me tell you...ain't as much fun as it sounds. Things start blending together after a while, and then you need to go back and listen to some shows over again to make sure you're not confusing them for something else.

I've divided this up into sections; Tours and Other Live Performances. Each tour will have a winner and a runner-up, if a runner-up is available. If a tour lasted more than one year, I'll do a winner and runner-up from each year. In the case of the Saucerful of Secrets Tour, I've only got one boot from that tour, so that one stands on its own. If you have any questions about the shows, feel free to ask away; I'll do my best to answer as thoroughly as I can. This is going to be long, so my apologies in advance. :)

Tours

A Saucerful of Secrets Tour 1968

Messin' With The Blues -- Shrine Exposition Hall, Los Angeles; July 27th, 1968

More World Tour 1969 - 1970

1969: Interstellar Plumpton -- 9th National Jazz Pop Ballads & Blues Festival, Plumpton Race Track, East Sussex, England; August 8th, 1969
Runner-up: Celestial Instruments -- Paradiso, Amsterdam; August 9th, 1969

1970: Interstellar Fillmore -- Fillmore West, San Francisco; April 29th, 1970
Runner-up: 1st Generation Reel -- Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica; May 1st, 1970

Atom Heart Mother World Tour 1970 - 1971

1970: Master Recording -- Pepperland Auditorium, San Rafael, CA; October 17th, 1970
Runner-up: Bovine Psychosis -- Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica; October 23rd, 1970

1971: Echoes Of A Distant Time -- Crystal Palace, London; May 15th, 1971
Runner-up: White Witch ~ Black Wizard -- Pavillion de Montreux, Montreux; September 18th, 1971

Meddle Tour 1971

New Mown Grass -- Convention Hall, Community Concourse, San Diego; October 17th, 1971
Runner-up: For Reasons I Don't Understand -- Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland; November 6th, 1971
BONUS WILD CARD: Embryonic Madness -- Taft Auditorium, Cincinnati, OH; November 20th, 1971 (This was the last performance of The Embryo, and because of technical issues with Rick's organ, it lasted over 20+ minutes.)

Eclipse Tour 1972

At The Rainbow - Day 1 -- Rainbow Theater, London; February 17th, 1972
Runner-up: Eclipse (A Piece For Assorted Lunatics) -- Auditorium Theater, Chicago; April 28th, 1972
BONUS WILD CARD: Here They Come -- Brighton Dome, Brighton; January 20th, 1972 (This was the very first time any of the material that became The Dark Side of the Moon was performed live.)

The Dark Side of the Moon Tour 1973 - 1974

1973: Childhood's End -- The International Amphitheater, Chicago; March 7th, 1973
Runner-up: Maloney Remaster -- Boston Music Hall, Boston; March 14th, 1973

1974: Wembley Pre FM-Master -- Wembley Empire Pool, Wembley; November 16th, 1974
Runner-up: Getting Better All The Time -- Wembley Empire Pool, Wembley; November 17th, 1974

Wish You Were Here Tour 1975

Cruel But Fair -- Sports Arena, Los Angeles; April 26th, 1975 (One of the greatest bootlegs of any Pink Floyd concert you will ever hear in your entire life. You'll swear you're sitting on stage next to Gilmour's microphone.)
Runner-up: Lampinski Master Tapes -- Boston Garden, Boston; June 18th, 1975 (See above comment.)

In The Flesh Tour 1977

Mr. Pig -- Oakland Alameda Coliseum, Oakland; May 9th, 1977 (Remember what I said about Cruel But Fair? This is even better than that, if you can believe it.)
Runner-up: Racial Violence -- Stadhalle, Vienna; February 1st, 1977

The Wall 1980 - 1981

1980: Wallpower -- Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, February 28th, 1980
Runner-up: Master Recording -- The Sports Arena, Los Angeles; February 7th, 1980

1981: Earls Court Round Two, Day 1 -- Earls Court, London; June 13th, 1981
Runner-up: The Handwriting On The Wall -- Earls Court, London; June 17th, 1981 (This was the last time the four of them would perform together on stage until 2005.)

A Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour 1987 - 1989

1987: A Clear View -- Rosemont Horizon, Chicago; September 28th, 1987
Runner-up: 2nd Generation -- Milwaukee County Stadium, Milwaukee; September 30th, 1987 (For Quicksilver, who was at this show.)

1988: A Day in the Rain -- Oakland Alameda Coliseum, Oakland; April 22nd, 1988
Runner-up: Bootray's Master -- Unidome, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls; May 18th, 1988

1989: Last Lapse -- Stade Velodrome de Marseilles, Marseilles, France; July 18th, 1989
Runner-up: London Day 3 -- Docklands Arena, London; July 6th, 1989 (This was my dad's 40th birthday. He wasn't at the show, I just found it a neat coincidence.)

The Division Bell Tour 1994

And The Bell Tolls -- Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans; May 14th, 1994 (David has said that the best 2nd solo in Comfortably Numb he'd ever done was at this show, and I'm inclined to agree. It's even better than the PULSE solo, if you can believe it.)
Runner-up: Carrier Dome, Syracuse; June 6th, 1994 (For my money, this is the best ending solo in High Hopes EVER. It actually makes me tear up.)
BONUS WILD CARD: Pigs On The Swing -- Earls Court, London; October 20th, 1994 (This is the show recorded for PULSE, and if you listen to it and then the official live recording, you can hear subtle differences, the biggest of which being Gilmour's 2nd solo in Comfortably Numb; the version in the official live recording is about 2 minutes shorter than what he actually did that night. He was right to chop it down, it started to meander a bit.)

Other Live Performances

These are not tour performances. They might have taken place during a tour, but they were not done on stage as part of the tour itself. For this, I'm going to do my Top 5 — it's easier that way.

1. An Hour With Pink Floyd -- KQED Studios, San Francisco; April 29th, 1970
2. Mooed Music -- Paris Theatre, London; July 16th, 1970 (They were on BBC Radio with John Peel.)
3. Reunion at Hyde Park -- Hyde Park, London; July 2nd, 2005
4. What If It's Just Green Cheese -- BBC Omnibus, London; July 20th, 1969 (They were performing in-house at the BBC while Apollo 11 was landing on the moon. Very trippy.)
5. Meddled -- Paris Cinema, London; September 30th, 1971 (One of the gold standards of PF bootlegs. Also done for BBC Radio with John Peel.)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:18 am

I'll definitely have to check out Cruel But Fair. I have the Boston show concert under the name Echoes in the Garden, and I listen to it more than Wish You Were Here these days. Is it the sound quality that's better, or the actual performances? The Boston '75 performance of the second half of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is pretty hard to top, if you ask me. :mrgreen:
Alec Taylor

Postby Lady Floydian » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:36 pm

SunShade wrote:I'll definitely have to check out Cruel But Fair. I have the Boston show concert under the name Echoes in the Garden, and I listen to it more than Wish You Were Here these days. Is it the sound quality that's better, or the actual performances? The Boston '75 performance of the second half of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is pretty hard to top, if you ask me. :mrgreen:

I have Echoes in the Garden, but I prefer the Lampinksi Master Tapes for that show. Their performance of Echoes on that entire tour, particularly in Los Angeles and Boston, was absolutely blistering. One of my all-time favorites.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:48 pm

My personal favorite part from that tour was how the Wish You Were Here album was played before it was the final album. The way "Shine On" bookends "Have a Cigar" is great. Wish is already my favorite Pink Floyd album, but I think if they had recorded it the way they performed it, it wouldn't even be a close contest any more.
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:10 pm

I can't think of another band that generates as much interest in its unofficial recordings than Pink Floyd.

Beth- if I'm ever down your way, expect a PM, as we'll be listening to your boots all night!
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Artisan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:16 pm

I still rank the live disc of Ummagumma as one of their finest moments (then again, they also have six other albums I deem perfect from top to bottom), but that live take on ASOS is one of the crowning achievements in music history. Just the way that Gilmour steps up to the mic for Celestial Voices, how his voice fades and blends in... it's like Speak To Me, you know you're in for something huge. His vocal solo does not disappoint (and in fact I'd rate it higher than most of his guitar solos, to be honest - I think maybe only Time and Fletcher Memorial Home have more emotion and character as a solo).

Live At Pompeii is also fantastic, but of the three songs that are common between them I pick Ummagumma every time. Pompeii however is in my top 5 most essential music DVDs for the performances and especially the interviews. Love early Floyd's humor.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Return to Band Discussion