Rick Wright's solo stuff

This is where you can discuss Rick's, Nick's and Syd's respective solo careers.

Which is your favourite Rick Wright solo album?

Wet Dream
40%
Broken China
60%

Total votes : 5

Re: Rick Wright's solo stuff

Postby quicksilver » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:But what on Earth are they digging up from those sessions? Did Rick and Dave record a less shitty dated version of the album that they decided was worse than what we got? I'm genuinely curious as to what has been sitting in the vaults that can bring Identity back to life.

Pedantic bitching aside, bring back some more Rick Wright! If they can conjure something up out of Identity then certainly something can be dug up from his ill-fated third solo album too?
'

All of this talk about Zee got me thinking about Nick's Fictitious Sports. There must be shit loads of material in that vault ?> :lol:
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:33 am

I've never listened to any of Nick's "solo work" because honestly how much did he even have to do with most of it?
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby quicksilver » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:I've never listened to any of Nick's "solo work" because honestly how much did he even have to do with most of it?

Fictitious sports was entirely written by someone else and Nick just played drums. Profiles is mainly instrumental save one or two songs. Nick and Rick Fenn wrote all of the material. David played and sung on Lie for a Lie.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat May 27, 2017 3:15 am

I'll be honest, part of the reason I stuck by MIDI for so long is because Broken China very heavily recorded using MIDI. I didn't even know that it was recorded on MIDI for a long time, and even after I learned it only became apparent listening to the warm pads that often segued the tracks together. The piano solo in "Reaching for the Rail" was obviously a MIDI piano though. I know the guitars and drums were recorded normally, but all of the keyboards were MIDI.

I bet Rick had access to some high end stuff though, which is probably why it sounds so organic and pristine. Mine were free, hence the sterile sound. If anything, Broken China could also stand as a testament to how people can make great music with cheap and simple means.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Previous

Return to Richard, Nick and Syd