Guy Pratt interviewing Rick about 'Piper' (2007)

This is where you can discuss Rick's, Nick's and Syd's respective solo careers.

Guy Pratt interviewing Rick about 'Piper' (2007)

Postby Dyolf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:02 pm

Here's an interview between Guy and Rick. It mainly concerns Rick answering questions about Piper. With the exception of Syd, Rick is probably the least interviewed member of the band.
CYMRU AM BYTH

"O’r ynys yma yw Cymraeg, o’r pridd yma.
Iaith hynaf pobl Prydain.
A hardd yw Cymraeg."
- Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien.
Dyolf
Animals

Re: Guy Pratt interviewing Rick about 'Piper' (2007)

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 am

It's amusing that Rick has no recollection of playing the "pop" songs of Piper live even though there are a collection of bootlegs that say otherwise. Also no surprise that he had a fun time making this record, as he tends to favor the records where he had a sizeable input (WYWH comes to mind).

Also I get that he's your father-in-law Guy but let the man speak for crying out loud!
Was it all a dream? - Alarm set for Autumn 2018
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Dyolf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:It's amusing that Rick has no recollection of playing the "pop" songs of Piper live even though there are a collection of bootlegs that say otherwise.

I think he was talking about the times prior to recording the album. Floyd were signed to EMI's Harvest label on the strength of live performances of "Interstellar Overdrive", "Pow R. Toc H.", "Reaction in G", "Nick's/Roger's/Syd's/Rick's Boogie" etc, but EMI wanted songs - singles! So Syd wrote some. Yes, they went on to "perform" (usually mime) them on TV but not so much at gigs, not like you'd expect anyway. Syd's Floyd were definitely different creatures on-stage and in the studio.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36 am

Dyolf wrote:
Alec Taylor wrote:It's amusing that Rick has no recollection of playing the "pop" songs of Piper live even though there are a collection of bootlegs that say otherwise.

I think he was talking about the times prior to recording the album.

Oooh, that makes more sense. I believe that there is a bootleg and/or venue called "Golden Circle" or something like that has a good collection of performances that contain some of those "poppier songs", the only thing is that the PA system is down so it sounds all instrumental. It's a bummer too, because they play "Matilda Mother" but you can't hear Syd or Rick singing at all.

I did like Rick talking about how his Farfisa worked a bit. I used to have a vintage electric organ (RIP organ) with all of those knobs like "oboe" and "trumpet" that would slightly change the sound to give the instrument more variety.
Was it all a dream? - Alarm set for Autumn 2018
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Dyolf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 am

Alec Taylor wrote:
Dyolf wrote:

I think he was talking about the times prior to recording the album.

Oooh, that makes more sense. I believe that there is a bootleg and/or venue called "Golden Circle" or something like that has a good collection of performances that contain some of those "poppier songs", the only thing is that the PA system is down so it sounds all instrumental. It's a bummer too, because they play "Matilda Mother" but you can't hear Syd or Rick singing at all.

The second CD of the Cambridge St/ation set has the same issue. The set contains "Matilda Mother", "See Emily Play" and an early version of "Set the Controls" but no singing can be heard, but that was recorded in Stockholm.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Return to Richard, Nick and Syd