Bruce Springsteen

Discussion of music by other bands and artists.

Re: Bruce Springsteen

Postby Straw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:48 am

I think its a bit of a wasted opportunity for such an amazing sounding song where he could've had a character reminisce about a a lost friend, getting old, a war or something else like that. Something genuine; something relatable.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:38 pm

I think it is relatable, in two different ways - the illegal side for people who have stooped below the law to make ends meet (see Atlantic City), and people reminiscing about their hobbies in the past and how maybe it wasn't as joyous a time as they remember.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Straw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:39 am

Again, I somewhat wish it wasn't relatable to the illegal side. Just my opinion though.
Straw
Meddle

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:42 am

Straw, I think you would be surprised about how many people can relate to a song like Racing in the Streets. Lots of people repeatedly break the law, and hate themselves for it at the same time. That's the gist I get from Racing in the Streets, and I am really impressed by it.

But indeed, to each their own. :-)
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Straw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:32 pm

I might be. I am only 16, so I don't really know about what goes on between adults after dark and what not. Then again, there are plenty of people in my grade who, despite attending an expensive private school, drink alcohol and smoke marijuana on a regular basis. Nothing really surprises me anymore.

Even still, it is very specific when it talks about racing alone, and uses terms and phrases that only car enthusiasts and/or street racers would use. Most of the lyrics are jargon to me. I'm not sure all people who break the law would relate to it.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Artisan » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:01 pm

I can see the dichotomy you're referring to. Certainly the narrator is proud of his accomplishments, even if they weren't the most acceptable thing for him to do. I'm going to bring up Atlantic City again. Clearly the narrator of Atlantic City is not at all proud of the little favor he's about to do. He has sunk to that new low and he pretty much needs to do that to get by. That's the negative side of that kind of activity. The more positive edges are shown in Racing in the Street, but since the theme of the album is just doing what you can in the world, I get the feeling that the narrator either can't do or is sick and tired of all the things he can or has done under the umbrella of the law, and he brings meaning into his life.

He kind of breaks it down in the alternate take from The Promise, especially with these lyrics (probably in my top 5 lyrics of all time):

Some guys, they do it for the money
Other guys do it 'cause they don't know what else they can do
They just hang around, nothing left at home,
Waking up in a world that somebody else owns

It kind of paints the picture that he's looking for salvation or redemption or hope or something, and he's found it in an activity he maybe wouldn't have done anyway. Of course the law is never mentioned in the song which is why I never noticed it before, but it is somewhat glaring now that you've put it into context.

Not gonna make me love the song any less, though. :)

I will also say Bruce is completely out of his mind for discarding Roulette and Loose Ends. Flawless tracks, both of 'em. Loose Ends was originally supposed to make the cut for The River - let me tell you, if it did, I would completely reevaulate the entire album. But as it is...
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Straw » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:33 am

This is why I love internet forums, especially this one. Being able to have a debate with a civilized community can make you see other points of view and change the way you think about anything, if you approach it intelligently and, most importantly, with an open mind.
Straw
Meddle

Postby Lady Floydian » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:43 pm

In 2005, for the 30th anniversary of Born To Run, there was a great documentary on the making of the album called "Wings For Wheels," and you can watch it here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwkt6L_vY-I
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts
Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Postby Artisan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:08 pm

That's the DVD I may have mentioned earlier (or maybe that was somewhere else). I thought it was available as a standalone DVD but I only realized recently I have to buy the box set to get it. I have the Darkness DVD and it's great.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:02 am

Artisan wrote:I can see the dichotomy you're referring to. Certainly the narrator is proud of his accomplishments, even if they weren't the most acceptable thing for him to do. I'm going to bring up Atlantic City again. Clearly the narrator of Atlantic City is not at all proud of the little favor he's about to do. He has sunk to that new low and he pretty much needs to do that to get by. That's the negative side of that kind of activity. The more positive edges are shown in Racing in the Street, but since the theme of the album is just doing what you can in the world, I get the feeling that the narrator either can't do or is sick and tired of all the things he can or has done under the umbrella of the law, and he brings meaning into his life.

He kind of breaks it down in the alternate take from The Promise, especially with these lyrics (probably in my top 5 lyrics of all time):

Some guys, they do it for the money
Other guys do it 'cause they don't know what else they can do
They just hang around, nothing left at home,
Waking up in a world that somebody else owns

It kind of paints the picture that he's looking for salvation or redemption or hope or something, and he's found it in an activity he maybe wouldn't have done anyway. Of course the law is never mentioned in the song which is why I never noticed it before, but it is somewhat glaring now that you've put it into context.

Not gonna make me love the song any less, though. :)

I will also say Bruce is completely out of his mind for discarding Roulette and Loose Ends. Flawless tracks, both of 'em. Loose Ends was originally supposed to make the cut for The River - let me tell you, if it did, I would completely reevaulate the entire album. But as it is...

You dislike The River? Can I ask why?

The River was always my favorite Bruce Springsteen album, until I started appreciating Darkness & Born To Run way more. I think learning English enough in order to understand deeper lyrics had a lot to do with that.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Ehh, I was raised on Born To Run and Darkness, two really deep, spiritual, meaningful declarations - one of independence, and one of hopelessness. I wasn't really expecting the River to top Darkness, but I also wasn't expecting nearly an hour and a half of almost exclusively lightweight pop. That type of music certainly has its place, and I will say that some songs - Sherry Darling, The Ties That Bind, Out In The Street - is good fun. And of course there are the slower, darker songs, but of those the only two that I care about at all are The River and Point Blank.

Judged as a pop record, it's not really bad, but for Springsteen, it just feels like a major step down. I still can't make the mental transition from "You're born with nothing and better off that way/As soon as you've got something they send someone to try and take it away" to "little girl I wanna marry you" or "two hearts are better than one". Maybe I'm expecting too much from him, but at the very least more stuff in the vein of Point Blank would have made it a bit more accessible for me.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:48 pm

I can see your point, but I'm personally not bothered by that. He chose to make The River a concept album that focuses on marriage a lot, which is generally gonna give you a way more upbeat album than Darkness on the Edge of Town. But yes, the poppy stuff is not really Bruce Springsteen's strong suit. He went back to that stuff in the 2000s and I really didn't enjoy those songs.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:03 pm

For well-done Bruce pop I turn to Magic. Love that record, or at least the first 8 or 9 songs (wish he'd combined the intensity of Last to Die with the lyrics of Long Walk Home, and dropped the remaining songs... That would be a KILLER album...). The middleof Born in the USA (tracks 5-9) are splendid as well. But when I think Bruce I think Backstreets and I think Streets of Fire... Love the intensity of those two albums, be it optimistic or, well, Darkness on the Edge of Town.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:42 am

Radio Nowhere and Girls in Their Summer Clothes are awesome, indeed. Those songs already bring back memories for me. :)

I think the whole Magic album is interesting, in a way, because of how straightforward and poppy it is. The longest song is barely 5 minutes, and there's no attempts for Backstreets-like epicness anywhere. I like it, but I like Bruce's usual form more.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:59 am

Yeah. Magic has a lot more "rock" on it than the River (excluding the obvious rockers) and it's not immediately following, uh, the greatest album in history, so... must have had the bar set a bit high when I first played The River. I don't think I've played the ehole album from start to finish since early 2013 at the very latest. I'm going by memory on these. I'm going to buy that new box set anyway so when I listen to the less trebley version my mind may change. ProbAbly not but who knows?
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Artisan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:22 am

A while back I tracked down what I'm pretty sure is an original pressing of Darkness On The Edge Of Town (on LP). This is still the greatest (non-living) thing on the planet. I need to stop putting off buying that album collection box since it can still be had pretty cheap.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Artisan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:57 am

I stopped putting off buying that album collection box and got it for pretty cheap.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Previous

Return to Music Discussion