The "I bought/got an album!" thread

Discussion of music by other bands and artists.

Re: The "I bought/got an album!" thread

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:25 pm

Artisan wrote:Only one problem with this set - the banana on the cover isn't frowning enough.

HEY
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Wait, I didn't credit you for that? Shit. Let me go back and edit the post.

I could have sworn I put that in a quote and attributed it to you. I must be losing my mind.

EDIT: I see. I wanted to say there was only one problem with the album but forgot after that. Screw it, I'll edit it here.

"That banana isn't frowning enough" - Alec Taylor, 3 April 2017, a date which will live in infamy, 13:21 EST, a time which will do the same
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:31 am

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Don McLean - American Pie

I have really been collecting classics lately, and I'm enjoying it.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby quicksilver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Frampton kind of gets typecast into this 1970's teen idol musician, but he's really an accomplished guitarist and songwriter. Early Humble Pie is great.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Artisan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Chuck Berry - The Great 28 is delayed in the mail but I should be receiving that soon. The best compilation of Chuck's stuff around, unfortunately never properly released on CD. Record clubs in the mid 80s were the only distributors who had it, and since Chuck died the prices have been going up. It's missing You Never Can Tell and Promised Land, but it doesn't have My Ding-A-Ling - I'll take two missing classics over having to skip that... thing every time I listen in a heartbeat. His only #1 hit, such a shame. Anyway.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:53 pm

quicksilver wrote:Frampton kind of gets typecast into this 1970's teen idol musician, but he's really an accomplished guitarist and songwriter. Early Humble Pie is great.

I agree so much. I think the typecasting is just because he was probably the most popular rock artist (after the Beatles, at least) among women between ages 16 and 25 ever. This feat is just a bit more eye-catching than the fact that he was a really good musician.

Do You Feel Like We Do has amazing guitar work. That outro is the best outro ever.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Goodbye Child isn't?
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Artisan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:48 pm

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

I knew I would like these guys when I started listening to them, but I had no idea how much I would love them. These melodies are on the same plane as Bowie, and I'm having the same "this is what I've been looking for" feeling that I had when I first heard Ziggy Stardust. The melody in Fight Test is unbelievably gorgeous (I've listened to the Cat Stevens song that it apparently rips off, but I don't hear it in that song - maybe the same chord sequence, but I definitely don't hear the melody). In fact, the melody reminds me more of Five Years - another instance where the "plot device opening track" is so good that it ends up being the best song on the album.

The only problem with this band is that their albums are consistently mastered horribly; allegedly, the band loves the hyper-compressed sound with exaggerated EQ. On the other hand, the defining factor of psychedelic music is "something's off"; these are relatively conventional songs, but the sound of them is just slightly off and it gives it a glorious psychedelic vibe.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Artisan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:36 am

Bought a bunch of stuff today. Incredibly varied. Try to make any sense out of these picks. Haven't listened to any of them yet (with the exception of the LPs and one CD).

Pink Floyd - Cambridge Station, used CD/DVD. I said I'd never pay more than $25, but it was never going to get cheaper than $28 and it was there so why not. There's a deformity at the top of the cover where it folds out. This is still the worst album cover/title convention ever, but I'm looking forward to diving into the contents.

Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic, used CD. I always knew I'd like these guys when I finally sat down and listened to them. This one is an orange cover inside a yellow shell; who could resist? For those who haven't listened, give One More Robot a shot - great Floyd vibe off that one. The bass line is an ascending E major scale with a raised IV, starting first on G# for an octave and repeating the same figure starting on E... I'm sure knowing that will make the song sound... better...

Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk, used CD. Love Willie The Pimp by Zappa and I enjoyed his track from the Nuggets box set. The Black Keys claim this album to be one of the greatest. Time to find out if my already-weird taste in music has room for a vomit-voiced "blues"-ish throater belting out incomprehensible nonsense.

The Cramps - Bad Music For Bad People, new CD. If Captain Beefheart doesn't clear out the party, throw these guys on.

Waterboys - Secret Life, used CD. I actually have a copy of this where the last track skips. I never see any Waterboys in the used bins and at four bucks how could I resist? The CD spine text goes the wrong way though. Will have to buy a good condition copy of the original UK CD to rectify this.

Cream - Royal Albert Hall Reunion, used DVD. Cream are amazing and I will hear no word to the contrary.

Waterboys - self titled mini LP (promo) and Pagan Place, used LPs. There's very little musical overlap between Scottish-Irish I-will-do-what-I-want stadium folk and Pink Floyd so I rarely mention the Waterboys, but I am unhealthily obsessed with this band. (By my count, they have 521 officially released tracks, including B-sides, single/radio edits, live versions, alternate mixes, promo CD single exclusive tracks, etc., of which I have at least 430). Pretty sure both of these are original pressings, but I'm not positive yet.

Elvis Costello - Get Happy and Trust, used LPs. Again no musical overlap between Floyd and vocally deficient and mildly unintelligible English professor pub punk/pop/R&B/every other genre on the planet. These two records are among the best ever made though. Fairly certain both are original pressings as well.

Badfinger - Straight Up, used LP. The quintessential pop album. Firmly in my all-time top 3. This is one of like 12 albums on the planet to have never been reissued on vinyl. Don't know if this is an original pressing but it's definitely an early one. Only paid $35, the condition somewhat reflects that, but most copies that sound this good would be in the $65 to $80 range. They'll reissue the Beatles until the cows come home and get abducted by aliens, while this masterpiece languishes in the vaults (for LP enthusiasts, anyway). This was one of the six LPs I wanted back when I didn't even want a turntable, but now I have both. Both the record and the turntable, I mean. Not both of the six records. Although I do have three of those.

Also bought a set of Sanyo speakers which sound much better than the utterly trashed '80s outdoor bookshelf-sized speakers which distort at any volume above 4 dB. Going to wake the neighborhood with some Waterboys tomorrow. :twisted:
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Artisan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Picked up an original (or at least early - 73-76) pressing of Quadrophenia at the flea market yesterday. The jacket is beat up but the book is in great shape and only side four had significant scratches, which I cleaned up nicely - now there's only a little recurring pop at the beginning of The Rock. Great use of two bucks!
Artisan
The Final Cut

Previous

Return to Music Discussion