The Beatles

Discussion of music by other bands and artists.

Your favorite album?

Please Please Me
No votes
With the Beatles
No votes
A Hard Day's Night
10%
Beatles for Sale
No votes
Help!
No votes
Rubber Soul
10%
Revolver
20%
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
20%
Magical Mystery Tour
No votes
The Beatles / The White Album
20%
Yellow Submarine
No votes
Abbey Road
20%
Let It Be
No votes

Total votes : 10

Re: The Beatles

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:00 pm

I think "A Day in the Life" is such a huge song because of its orchestral crescendos. Literally, that's it. It was something different and unique for a former pop band to incorporate into their music, and coupled with the final ringing note, it made the song stand out. But, the further I get away from The Beatles, the more I feel like a lot of their catalog is viewed through rose-tinted glasses, and I'm guilty of it too. I find my favorite songs from them to be things like "Yes It Is", "It's All Too Much", and "One After 909", while disliking others like "Let It Be" and "Come Together".

And that's not me being a hipster either. :lol:
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Crescendos are enough to make me like songs I think are pretty horrible (Champagne Supernova comes to mind) but I just don't get A Day In The Life and I never have. Nice melody on John's part, Paul's bit is goofy, it transitions back to the main part, and then there's a big piano chord, and then it gives me a headache with that tone that BULLSHIT I CAN HEAR LOUD AS A FUCKING JACKHAMMER, and then I get psychos babbling "never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way". Apparently the US version eliminates that end bit although that's never been on CD. I could make my own edit but I don't like tampering with my music, unless it's something like extended silence in the middle of a song (Something In The Way/Endless Nameless or 240 Years Before Your Time for instance).
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:21 pm

I made a mash-up of "Something" and "Layla" before, but I lost the file. I'll have to make it again, maybe. Basically, both songs are about Patti Harrison, and since the piano coda to "Layla" was originally in C, and "Something" was in C, bada-bing I tacked the piano ending of "Layla" right on to the end of "Something" and it blended together great.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Artisan wrote:Crescendos are enough to make me like songs I think are pretty horrible (Champagne Supernova comes to mind) but I just don't get A Day In The Life and I never have. Nice melody on John's part, Paul's bit is goofy, it transitions back to the main part, and then there's a big piano chord, and then it gives me a headache with that tone that BULLSHIT I CAN HEAR LOUD AS A FUCKING JACKHAMMER, and then I get psychos babbling "never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way". Apparently the US version eliminates that end bit although that's never been on CD. I could make my own edit but I don't like tampering with my music, unless it's something like extended silence in the middle of a song (Something In The Way/Endless Nameless or 240 Years Before Your Time for instance).

Be glad you don't have the LP version. On that one, the "never could see any other way" thing is pressed on the inner groove that will repeat forever unless your LP player is able to automatically stop playing.

To add to the fun stuff: the inner groove also has a supersonic whistling sound that will make your dog go ballistic if you have one.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:47 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Artisan wrote:Crescendos are enough to make me like songs I think are pretty horrible (Champagne Supernova comes to mind) but I just don't get A Day In The Life and I never have. Nice melody on John's part, Paul's bit is goofy, it transitions back to the main part, and then there's a big piano chord, and then it gives me a headache with that tone that BULLSHIT I CAN HEAR LOUD AS A FUCKING JACKHAMMER, and then I get psychos babbling "never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way never could be any other way". Apparently the US version eliminates that end bit although that's never been on CD. I could make my own edit but I don't like tampering with my music, unless it's something like extended silence in the middle of a song (Something In The Way/Endless Nameless or 240 Years Before Your Time for instance).

Be glad you don't have the LP version. On that one, the "never could see any other way" thing is pressed on the inner groove that will repeat forever unless your LP player is able to automatically stop playing.

To add to the fun stuff: the inner groove also has a supersonic whistling sound that will make your dog go ballistic if you have one.

Sort of like how Atom Heart Mother has got the drippy faucet that ends "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" in it, so it can loop forever. Forget the dog, I think people would go insane listening to a faucet drip for the rest of time.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:36 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:

That whistling is on the CD too, and it makes my ears bleed. I want to punch everyone who says people can't hear it. My dogs don't give a shit about it but each time I hear it I get a headache.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:47 pm

I can't hear that whistling, and I can't hear the worms on "Hey You". Maybe I'm a little tone deaf or something. :lol:
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:55 pm

Bless your ears dude. You're not missing anything worth hearing. :puke:
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:35 pm

I remember my young naive days when I thought "Hey Jude" was a long song, and that only The Beatles could pull off making a great song longer than five minutes. Meanwhile, I've been listening to "Karn Evil 9" on repeat the past few days... :lol:
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:37 am

SunShade wrote:I remember my young naive days when I thought "Hey Jude" was a long song, and that only The Beatles could pull off making a great song longer than five minutes. Meanwhile, I've been listening to "Karn Evil 9" on repeat the past few days... :lol:

It's definitely rare for a single that reached #1 pretty much everywhere. :)
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Sun May 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Tony Barrow has died. He was their press agent until 1968 and wrote the liner notes to their early albums. I remember picking up a few Beatles CDs and reading his zany commentary on the ride back home. Hope his friends and family (and by extension, insane Beatles fanatics) are doing well.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri May 27, 2016 4:30 pm

This is a sort of interesting article about how Paul felt after the Beatles split up. It sort of shifts the blame on Allen Klein and gets its timeline wrong, but interesting nonetheless.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:06 pm

It's probably been close to three years since I stopped listening to The Beatles, and after putting Paul's NEW down for a spin today as I was doing chores, I can see how my attitude towards the Fab Four have changed over time. When I made my list of my top five albums of all time, I found that none of theirs made the cut any more. It's weird; I have several books (both with words and of sheet music that I can't even read) of The Beatles in my library, having read them time and time again, but it doesn't feel the same as it used to. I think I might go back and do a full Beatle review of their albums again now that my feelings towards their work have faded with time.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:59 pm

It's an odd case for me. I really like the Beatles, but I absolutely hate "The Beatles". The Beatles were a nice pop band who came around at just the right time, when music needed a change, and they loved it enough to change it. "The Beatles" are an exaggeration of this, in that, not only did they change music, but they invented music, and everyone and everything owes impossible-to-pay debts to them. Every musical idea stems from "The Beatles". "The Beatles" can do no wrong, and we should feel blessed every day that "The Beatles" chose so bestow their grace upon us. "The Beatles" are the ultimate lifestyle and philosophy, and their word is Truth. The ways of "The Beatles" are the ways of life we should try to emulate. "The Beatles" are perfection incarnate.

If you need a further illustration, go to the Steve Hoffman forums and find a Beatle-related thread; it should become clear within about 30 posts.

I object to the idea that the Beatles could do no wrong and are the greatest band of all time. The greatest band of all time would be a band that would not write, record, and release crap like Wild Honey Pie, Bungalow Bill, and Rocky Raccoon (let alone put all of those on the same album). They had a lot of great songs, and they certainly were innovative and game-changing, but I am sick to death of them being put on a pedestal where, frankly, they don't belong. They were talented, but no more than their contemporaries - hell, look at the Who - John Entwistle had more musical skill than the four Beatles put together (and I'm not really trying to knock the Beatles). And there were three other people in that band!

Maybe my opinion stems from the fact that the Beatles didn't totally change my life like they seem to do to others. I definitely loved them when I first heard them, and there were periods where I listened exclusively to them, but I never once considered them to be in my top five artists of all time. They were exciting and energetic (the early stuff moreso for me) and some of their music was extremely good. There are still Beatles songs I wouldn't be able to live without... although I think I could probably fit all of those onto two CDs. (If you want examples - I Me Mine, Hey Bulldog, Tomorrow Never Knows... they pretty much all have a distinct mood that I really latch onto... perhaps you can guess some others based on those?)

So even though I do love these guys, I find myself bashing them far more than I want to. They're put on a pedestal where they don't belong (and where I don't think they wanted to be put). Every time I see someone brush their numerous flaws under the rug and insists that they're perfect, it makes me upset. Plus, they're everywhere. My friends who once knew me to be a Beatlemaniac now see me groan every time I see anything of theirs... it hurts, but dammit, this universal obsession needs to be kept in check.

Sorry for the rant. I've been on SHTV a bit too much I think.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:50 am

I do not think anyone has to like The Beatles' music in particular, for all the reasons you mentioned. However, I do get irked when people deny that The Beatles changed history and that they continue to be one of the most influential bands in rock music until today. Their ideas were ground breaking and went in so many different directions, even rap music and heavy metal have some roots in The Beatles' music. There hasn't been a single band since that has been as influential as The Beatles.

You can dislike the music all you want, but if you deny their influence and importance then I think you're simply wrong.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Artisan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:05 pm

I get that. I love the Beatles and popular music would not be the same without them. Like I said, I have the 17-disc box set and I wouldn't want to get rid of it for anything, and they have lots of songs that I would not want to be without.

It just really bothers me when people insist that they had no flaws and should be exempt from all criticism simply for being the Beatles. People build them up to be something that they really aren't. I mean, I love the Let It Be album, but a lot of the songs on there are kind of weak. Especially the two 30 second interludes. I get that they were just having fun, but it adds nothing to the experience for me.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:50 pm

I've seen more than my fair share of reviews for The Beatles that will dismiss negative criticisms because "they're The Beatles", so I know exactly what you mean. I've seen critics give The White Album a perfect score while tearing apart songs like "Wild Honey Pie" and "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill", but dismiss that because it's a The Beatles record. In retrospect, even if Abbey Road is my favorite record of theirs, I cannot look myself in the mirror and say that songs like "Mean Mr. Mustard" are indicative of the pinnacle of rock music. And I think my thoughts on the song "Let It Be" are well known. It's analogous to how you feel about "Hey You".

Maybe I will go back and review The Beatles now that the "greatest band ever" feelings have faded away. We all know who the real greatest band ever is anyway, they're the reason we're all here in the first place. :mrgreen:
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:19 pm

SunShade wrote:I've seen more than my fair share of reviews for The Beatles that will dismiss negative criticisms because "they're The Beatles", so I know exactly what you mean. I've seen critics give The White Album a perfect score while tearing apart songs like "Wild Honey Pie" and "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill", but dismiss that because it's a The Beatles record. In retrospect, even if Abbey Road is my favorite record of theirs, I cannot look myself in the mirror and say that songs like "Mean Mr. Mustard" are indicative of the pinnacle of rock music. And I think my thoughts on the song "Let It Be" are well known. It's analogous to how you feel about "Hey You".

Maybe I will go back and review The Beatles now that the "greatest band ever" feelings have faded away. We all know who the real greatest band ever is anyway, they're the reason we're all here in the first place. :mrgreen:

Bon Jovi ? :D
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Artisan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:35 pm

quicksilver wrote:
SunShade wrote:I've seen more than my fair share of reviews for The Beatles that will dismiss negative criticisms because "they're The Beatles", so I know exactly what you mean. I've seen critics give The White Album a perfect score while tearing apart songs like "Wild Honey Pie" and "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill", but dismiss that because it's a The Beatles record. In retrospect, even if Abbey Road is my favorite record of theirs, I cannot look myself in the mirror and say that songs like "Mean Mr. Mustard" are indicative of the pinnacle of rock music. And I think my thoughts on the song "Let It Be" are well known. It's analogous to how you feel about "Hey You".

Bon Jovi ? :D

And it's all thanks to Floydy that we discovered that amazing band.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:15 am

I went back to listen to Abbey Road since it's been a long, long, long time since I've done that. I found almost all of Side 2 to just be completely insufferable. I used to worship that damn album too, it's so weird how tastes change. Who knows, maybe a few more years down the road and I'll have grown fond of it again.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:25 am

Alec Taylor wrote:I went back to listen to Abbey Road since it's been a long, long, long time since I've done that. I found almost all of Side 2 to just be completely insufferable. I used to worship that damn album too, it's so weird how tastes change. Who knows, maybe a few more years down the road and I'll have grown fond of it again.

Brilliant. :D
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Floydy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:04 am

When I was a boy if you wanted a Beatles album you had to carve it out of a chunk of wood.
Floydy
Meddle

Previous

Return to Music Discussion