King Crimson

Discussion of music by other bands and artists.

Vote for your favorite King Crimson album!

In the Court of the Crimson King
50%
In the Wake of Poseidon
No votes
Lizard
No votes
Islands
No votes
Larks' Tongues in Aspic
No votes
Starless and Bible Black
No votes
Red
50%
Discipline
No votes
Beat
No votes
Three of a Perfect Pair
No votes
THRaK
No votes
The ConstruKction of Light
No votes
The Power to Believe
No votes

Total votes : 2

Re: King Crimson

Postby Dyolf » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:36 pm

SunShade wrote:
Dyolf wrote:Indeed, Oldfield performs every instrument on the album. From piano, organ, bass, guitar, glockenspiel and of course, tubular bells. I think there's a double bass and some percussion that other people added because they owned the instruments and flutes that Oldfield couldn't play well enough. Other than that it's all him. The same goes for almost all of his albums.

That really does sound like something I would be interested in. I wonder how I've gone this long without ever hearing much about him! :o

Really it's the first half of Tubular Bells that's intriguing, the second half he had to write and record rather quickly, as he'd only written the first side. He spent so much time taking his demo around the record companies that he hadn't thought about the second side. The Mike Oldfield Story is a good documentary from 2013, it's probably on YouTube too. Oldfield was rather pissed off when the piano motif was used in The Exorcist without his permission and released as a single as Theme from The Exorcist, he actually re-recorded a section of Part 2 in a slower tempo and on different instruments and released it as "Mike Oldfield's Single" in retaliation.
Gwyrdd yw'r lliw.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:38 pm

Dyolf wrote:
SunShade wrote:
Dyolf wrote:Indeed, Oldfield performs every instrument on the album. From piano, organ, bass, guitar, glockenspiel and of course, tubular bells. I think there's a double bass and some percussion that other people added because they owned the instruments and flutes that Oldfield couldn't play well enough. Other than that it's all him. The same goes for almost all of his albums.

That really does sound like something I would be interested in. I wonder how I've gone this long without ever hearing much about him! :o

Really it's the first half of Tubular Bells that's intriguing, the second half he had to write and record rather quickly, as he'd only written the first side. He spent so much time taking his demo around the record companies that he hadn't thought about the second side. The Mike Oldfield Story is a good documentary from 2013, it's probably on YouTube too. Oldfield was rather pissed off when the piano motif was used in The Exorcist without his permission.

I think I personally would be ecstatic if someone used my music for stuff, even without permission (as long as I'm credited), but maybe I have a bit of subconscious desperation I'm unaware of. Did the exposure help him gain any substantial popularity?
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Dyolf » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:40 pm

SunShade wrote:
Dyolf wrote:
SunShade wrote:

Really it's the first half of Tubular Bells that's intriguing, the second half he had to write and record rather quickly, as he'd only written the first side. He spent so much time taking his demo around the record companies that he hadn't thought about the second side. The Mike Oldfield Story is a good documentary from 2013, it's probably on YouTube too. Oldfield was rather pissed off when the piano motif was used in The Exorcist without his permission.

I think I personally would be ecstatic if someone used my music for stuff, even without permission (as long as I'm credited), but maybe I have a bit of subconscious desperation I'm unaware of. Did the exposure help him gain any substantial popularity?

Probably, but it has meant that, even today, some people think of that tune as "that scary music from The Exorcist" rather than the opening of Tubular Bells.
Gwyrdd yw'r lliw.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:40 pm

I guess that happens to everyone at some point in time. I mean, Pink Floyd is that guy who don't need no education, right?
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:43 pm

SunShade wrote:I guess that happens to everyone at some point in time. I mean, Pink Floyd is that guy who don't need no education, right?

I guess so, but at least Oldfield came back in the 80s with "Moonlight Shadow", though personally I prefer Oldfield's instrumentals to his songs, his last album as rather poor, but his early albums are fantastic.
Gwyrdd yw'r lliw.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:44 pm

I'll be sure to check him out when I have the chance, he sounds like an interesting fellow.
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:50 pm

SunShade wrote:I'll be sure to check him out when I have the chance, he sounds like an interesting fellow.

He also did Tubular Bells II in 1992, a similar structure to TB but different music, and with a Scottish flavour. Tubular Bells III came in 1998 which is influenced by the Ibiza club music scene of the '90s, but not overly so. I love TB3, then came The Millennium Bell which is essentially TB4 and it's crap, utter crap.
Gwyrdd yw'r lliw.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:22 pm

In light of Greg Lake's passing from cancer, I found this. He was on his way out of the band during the recording of In the Wake of Poseidon, and finished vocals for every track except "Cadence and Cascade". Future Lizard vocalist Gordon Haskell provided the final vocals. However, there is an early mix of the song that does feature Greg on vocals, and it's magnificent. I never cared much for Haskell as a vocalist (even though I didn't mind Lizard that much), and there's really no comparison to Greg Lake. Only John Wetton and Adrian Belew can compare.

R.I.P. Greg Lake
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:34 pm

I bet no one gives a shit, but they've finally started putting King Crimson on Spotify... sort of. No studio albums to be seen as of yet, but there is one live album from each era of the band up for streaming. Since KC live albums tended to be almost comprehensive documents of their epoch, most of the best material the band has to offer is now available, albeit as live performances. The legendary Absent Lovers double album is present, which is the absolute quintessential King Crimson album IMHO.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Double post because I realize I never gave KC a proper album rank (and I love obsessively doing that):

1. Discipline
2. Red
3. In the Court of the Crimson King
4. Three of a Perfect Pair
5. Larks' Tongues in Aspic
6. In the Wake of Poseidon
7. THRAK
8. Beat
9. Lizard
10. Starless and Bible Black
11. Islands
12. the construcKtion of light
13. The Power to Believe

After initially being a long-time fan of the Wetton-era KC, the 80s Belew-era has slowly grown on me to become my favorite. It's hard to beat Tony Levin on bass, Bill Bruford on drums, and the entire "rock gamelan" gimmick as a whole.
Alec Taylor

Previous

Return to Music Discussion