The "I bought/got an album!" thread

Discussion of music by other bands and artists.
The Silver Lining
Animals
The "I bought/got an album!" thread

Post by The Silver Lining » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:57 am

I think this can be interesting! A thread where we discuss which albums we bought/got, and our initial findings.

Yesterday, I took Lorde's Pure Heroine with me from the Fnac store in Barcelona. I first had to go back and get a new one because I found out the sleeve was damaged. And now I'm noticing that my pickup (which is slightly broken) can't deal with the album's deep bass tones. You hear it clipping all the time, and sometimes the needle even jumps. Sad Arno. :(
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: The "I bought/got an album!" thread

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:18 pm

I haven't bought any new albums in a long time. I think the last might have been Venus and Mars by Wings on vinyl, and it sounds pretty good. I couldn't believe I found one in such good quality, and it even had all of the posters and stuff in it. :)
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Most recent album I bought was With The Beatles, and Ummagumma is somewhere between Texas and Crappywifiville. When I get that album I'm havin' me a Floyd marathon. I might have gotten The Endless River, but I spent the last of my cash on the outrageous shipping costs of Ummagumma. (Seriously, a two-week timeframe is $5? I call BS.)

Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Post by Lady Floydian » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:16 pm

$5 doesn't seem excessive in regards to shipping costs. It would only be excessive if the dollar amount exceeded a certain percentage of the cost of the item, say, 50%. If I buy a shirt for $19.99, and the shipping costs are $10, that would be too much.
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009
Retired Oct 2014 — 7,762 posts

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:55 pm

I just bought an un-opened YesSongs record for $2 and a Pink Floyd Relics with Nick's drawing on it for $2 at an antique show :)
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:13 am

I think $5 is ridiculous when I can buy most albums for under that cost online. I've seen overseas shipping 1-2 dollars.

Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Post by Lady Floydian » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:30 am

quicksilver wrote:I just bought an un-opened YesSongs record for $2 and a Pink Floyd Relics with Nick's drawing on it for $2 at an antique show :)
Whoa! Nice find. My copy of Relics has that weird mask on it. LOL

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009

Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Post by Lady Floydian » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:31 am

Artisan wrote:I think $5 is ridiculous when I can buy most albums for under that cost online. I've seen overseas shipping 1-2 dollars.
Walmart has in-store pickup, where you buy the item online, then go to your nearest store and retrieve it. No shipping costs necessary, if you don't want to incur them.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:55 am

Lady Floydian wrote:
quicksilver wrote:I just bought an un-opened YesSongs record for $2 and a Pink Floyd Relics with Nick's drawing on it for $2 at an antique show :)
Whoa! Nice find. My copy of Relics has that weird mask on it. LOL
Ya it blew me away. I was at a huge indoor antique place and came across crates of vinyl. I was sifting through them and the YES record was never opened and the Reilcs was stuffed in between a crap load of Elvis records; as if someone was "hiding" it to come and get later. I've been to countess antique places and never, ever, ever......... came acorss a Pink Floyd record.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:10 am

I always hide CDs I can't afford. I once hid The Wall in the S section. It was gone when I went back, but it was cheaper where I finally bought it anyway.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:08 am

Oh by the way, I got this album called "The Endless River" the other day. Apparently it's some progrock band's most recent release or something. You guys should check it out.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:10 am

My most recent score -

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:17 am

The Silver Lining wrote:Oh by the way, I got this album called "The Endless River" the other day. Apparently it's some progrock band's most recent release or something. You guys should check it out.
I think I heard about that. Is it any good?
Dyma Coronafeirws

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:20 am

Artisan wrote:My most recent score -

Finally, you got Ummagumma! Maybe my copy of The Endless River will get here some day too! :D
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:45 am

My recent score: a double lp by Arc Iris, a band I got to know by seeing them live today. They were pretty experimental and dreamy, which I like.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:20 am

My copy of The Endless River finally came in the mail today. Then I despaired that I was too poor to get it on vinyl, and that I only have three Pink Floyd albums on vinyl. I keep looking around online, but Pink Floyd albums are a bit pricey. At least, compared to Holland by The Beach Boys, which goes for like $2 in most cases. :lol:

Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Post by Lady Floydian » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:43 pm

SunShade wrote:My copy of The Endless River finally came in the mail today. Then I despaired that I was too poor to get it on vinyl, and that I only have three Pink Floyd albums on vinyl. I keep looking around online, but Pink Floyd albums are a bit pricey. At least, compared to Holland by The Beach Boys, which goes for like $2 in most cases. :lol:
Are you looking at eBay? That's where I got all of my vinyl from, Pink Floyd included. If you know how to shop for it, you won't break the bank.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:07 pm

Lady Floydian wrote:
SunShade wrote:My copy of The Endless River finally came in the mail today. Then I despaired that I was too poor to get it on vinyl, and that I only have three Pink Floyd albums on vinyl. I keep looking around online, but Pink Floyd albums are a bit pricey. At least, compared to Holland by The Beach Boys, which goes for like $2 in most cases. :lol:
Are you looking at eBay? That's where I got all of my vinyl from, Pink Floyd included. If you know how to shop for it, you won't break the bank.
Are those albums unused though? I'm interested in this as well, but I really want no second hand vinyl.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm surprised, with all of these bands putting out $50 vinyl reissues, Floyd hasn't slso done so.

Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Post by Lady Floydian » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:56 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Lady Floydian wrote:
Are those albums unused though? I'm interested in this as well, but I really want no second hand vinyl.
I wouldn't know. You could look. I don't want new vinyl, unless it's a new album. I love second-hand vinyl, because I love the idea of owning something that another huge fan once owned and got a lot of pleasure out of. I know what grade I want (VG + for both jacket and vinyl at the least), and as a result, I have some excellent additions to my collection.

I honestly couldn't imagine buying a brand new pressing of say, The Dark Side of the Moon. It came out in 1973, and I want it to sound like it came out in 1973, otherwise I'd just listen to it on mp3.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Lady Floydian wrote:
The Silver Lining wrote:
Lady Floydian wrote:
I wouldn't know. You could look. I don't want new vinyl, unless it's a new album. I love second-hand vinyl, because I love the idea of owning something that another huge fan once owned and got a lot of pleasure out of. I know what grade I want (VG + for both jacket and vinyl at the least), and as a result, I have some excellent additions to my collection.

I honestly couldn't imagine buying a brand new pressing of say, The Dark Side of the Moon. It came out in 1973, and I want it to sound like it came out in 1973, otherwise I'd just listen to it on mp3.
I'll probably start trying to collect Pink Floyd's albums on vinyl pretty soon...

My sister accidentally gave away that I might be getting a turntable for my birthday. The next 10 days will be sooooooooooooooooo long!

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:01 am

Birthday tomorrow eh? Born on the release date of the Wall? How does that make you feel XD.
Look up. You'll find things that you never imagined you would.

Anarcho-Capitalist, political activist.
Musician, and advocate of secession and non-aggression.
News editor for Being Libertarian, because freedom matters.

Lady Floydian
Obscured By Clouds

Post by Lady Floydian » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:20 pm

I bought two albums off eBay this week — Eagles Greatest Hits Vol. 2 and Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. Turned out that my dad already had that one, so he offered to give me my money back, but it isn't like I spent a lot on it to begin with. It was $8, including shipping, and the album was still in the original shrink wrap.

Thank you, PFO.
Joined Oct 2009

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:19 pm

I picked up King Crimson's Discipline and Derek & the Dominos' Layla the other day for $4.25 each. They both sound great too, but Layla is formatted sort of weird. Disc 1 had Side 1 and Side 4, where Disc 2 had Side 2 and Side 3. I'd never seen a double album divided up that way.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:25 pm

FrowningBanana wrote:Birthday tomorrow eh? Born on the release date of the Wall? How does that make you feel XD.
Yep, I was born on one of my favourite albums' 12th anniversary. It's quite awesome. :)