AWT Music [RETIRED]

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!

Re: Alec Taylor Music Thread

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:07 pm

Double albums are notorious for being overlong and overbloated as well, and mine is no exception. Tracks 6-11 can be seen as the "low point", and it makes up the center of the project. I really didn't have any other way to order the tracks, but I was afraid that maybe that would have a negative impact.
Awakening - Probably Never™.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:53 am

So just a brief update, nothing special.

SunShade Reigns has been doing a little better recently, but not by much. By my own system for reviewing music (which I don't really do any more), it gets like a 63% or so, so not that good. Phantom Turnip II is no longer going to be a music project; it's now going to be a novella. The chapters will be published on a blog or something, and will sort of flesh out Phantom Turnip and his place in the world. Project Antipode is now the next music project on the list.

It's going to probably take a long time to make. I had it and another thing (Project 2018) become merged together, as well as a ton of songs that were outtakes from SunShade Reigns and Polyphonic Pulse, plus the songs from Phantom Turnip II that won't be used any more, PLUS some of the other unused Discomposure tracks... well, it's become a rather large project. I'm not saying that all of the 50+ songs will be used, but it's going to be a streamlined effort that's going to take time. I'm also not opposed to seeking outside help on it when the time comes, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:04 pm

Phantom Turnip II is going to be a strange, messy release, and I've been racking my brain trying to find a way to make it work. I'm trying to put my inconsistent floundering ways behind me so I can really gel with something good, but I need everyone to bear with me through one more sloppy project.

I need to bring an end to Phantom Turnip so I can move on, but all of my ideas for his final project have been sketchy to say the least. What I've settled on, and what makes the most sense and feels the best to me, is a two-fold project. The original idea was to have PT read "letters" over distorted music as he slowly dissipates from existence, but I found that to be too non-musical and experimental. Then I was going to split the album to alternate between music and "letters" so people could just skip the "letters" if they didn't care about the lore, but that seemed like a waste as well. I decided to just write the "letters" as a blog and move what music I had to Project Antipode, but those songs just don't mesh with each other at all.

So the compromise I've made is that there will be a condensed collection of "letters" that will make up a short story, and a six-track extended play will follow using the songs from the original PT2 project. I think this will work out for the best. It will also help tie up loose ends with SunShade's story and give a few hints as to what Alec Taylor (the lore me, not the real me) will be doing with Project Antipode in the future. I'll probably stick with MIDI to crank out the EP since it won't take too long to do I don't think, but I don't plan on working on it until I get moved in May. Antipode will likely take months of work to create everything I want to do (learning FL Studio, 30 songs, animated music videos, etc.), so...

...er, I'm not so good at ending posts.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:29 pm

I don't like using retconning to fix continuity errors, but with my mind as lost as it is right now, it's time to clear things up.

Phantom Turnip II will be something else in the far future, and is no longer a 2017 priority. Project Antipode is the next musical project, a sort of "soundtrack to the Universe" that will be a stylistic follow-up to Polyphonic Pulse and hopefully be my first non-MIDI project. Project Neptune also exists, but nothing to report on.

Rest assured, Phantom Turnip is alive and well, and Alec Corporations denies all allegations of illegal experimentation made by the Megalopolis PD. Let's all just move on from this debacle, so operations can resume on schedule.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun May 07, 2017 4:52 am

Yet Another Update?

NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY? NO WAY!
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Sun May 07, 2017 8:14 am

So project Antipode will be recorded through a DAW? That's awesome. :) I'm looking forward to that.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun May 07, 2017 4:06 pm

I discovered that some DAWs can use soundfonts the way my MIDI programs can. The difference is in how the sound is put out. With MIDI, there is no real sound and it's just data being told to play like something. When used with a DAW, however, it's actually emulated similarly to a VST, making it a more organic instrument instead of just "data". Of course, it's all technically "data" since it's electronic, but I don't know how better to explain it. I toyed with it a bit and imported an older MIDI song of mine and used the same exact soundfonts, and there was an audible difference in how it sounded. That helps me a lot, because now I don't have as big of a learning curve since I can use most of my old stuff with the new software.

I will be making some singles in my down time to test the software and get a feel for it, so that I at least know what I'm doing for Project Antipode. I'm also working to eliminate my old image of being dark, abstract, and artsy by refining the upbeat sound of Polyphonic Pulse and adopting its vibrant color scheme. Once the artwork I have planned is done and the new test single is complete, I'll unveil the new sound and style I want to be known for. Out with the dark, in with the bright!

Also don't let all of the NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY? NO WAY!'s fool you. That's not a teaser or anything, it's a phrase that pops up with you use the Lock-On Technology of the Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive incorrectly. I've just been spamming it everywhere because I'm stupid. LOL
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed May 17, 2017 4:55 am

Project Neptune is something I've mentioned a time or two I think, but I'm ready to really talk about it. As my job hunt continues to amount to nothing, I've decided to just take a big risk and create a resume to be a video game soundtrack composer. I plan on doing this by creating a demo reel of video game tracks that I can use to show potential employers what I can do. Project Neptune is that resume. It will be between eight and twelve tracks designed to fit into a video game and be looped infinitely (as video game tracks usually are), and will fit a wide variety of level tropes and moods. It's not replacing my normal job hunt, but I figured "why not?".

Project Neptune will also be a stepping stone towards Project Antipode, my major project for 2017, so once it releases, I will be taking suggestions and criticism on those tracks to ensure that they're absolutely perfect for the real show.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue May 23, 2017 2:11 am

Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Tue May 23, 2017 6:46 am

Uh-oh. Textless and contextless image posted out of the blue with no announcement... this can mean possibly literally anything in the universe but I think it's safe to assume that this means one thing.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue May 23, 2017 5:43 pm

You're on to something there.

05 25 2017
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 pm

It's the code to his safe! There must be more clues in there!
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm

All done. See you guys tomorrow with something fresh. ;)
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Wed May 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Something fresh... something we haven't seen before... I've got it! Tomorrow, he's going to come up with some kind of cryptic teaser thing!
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri May 26, 2017 1:49 am

"I wonder what those pictures of a star, light, and studio sign were supposed to-"

"Quiet! Quiet on the set! Everyone, please get in your places. The first show is about to begin!"

Alec Corporations presents the opening night at our new music venue, STARLIGHT STUDIO! Please remember to enjoy your alcoholic beverages responsibly, don't ask the house band to play "Free Bird", and if you see our proprietor around, don't bother him with questions about the Phantom Turnip incident. We're doing our best to fix our reputation, just enjoy the music and don't look into it any further!

All dumb role playing aside, this song was a fucking blast to make. I feel like I've found a good groove, and I'd love to hear feedback about how I can keep moving forward. I was hoping to mix the multisection song structures of prog with the melodic structures of pop and the instrumentation of early 1990s new jack swing. Hope I pulled it off. Oh and also this is my first song to use 0% MIDI. Enjoy!
Alec Taylor

AWT Music [RETIRED]

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm anxious to say that I've made the decision to officially retire from the music business.

That's not to say that I'm done making music, because obviously I'm not. But for eight years now, I've just had too many struggles within my own mind about how to even do this music thing, and how to please myself and others, and came to a realization. I like to sit down and remake my own material time and time again, and sometimes have five or six different versions of the same song just to have them. I have so many ideas that really don't fit into "albums" and "singles" and all of that, and to be frank, the stuff I really want to do would only be interesting and enjoyable to myself and no one else.

I think the reason I've stuck with it this long is mainly just a relic of the past. Before I became SunShade in 2013, I had grandiose delusions that I could be the next big rock star, and wanted to do the music business game as such. Over time, I've come to make music that I want to hear, for my own amusement, and haven't really cared about the big picture in a long time. And let's be honest; there just isn't that much of an interest in what I do any more, and that's fine.

I make video games, write science fantasy novels, and do tons of research and inventing behind the scenes because those are projects I want to do for myself, because I find pleasure in it. For some reason, music never had that same kind of liberation to me. I don't care if people know about my dream project of a dark energy starship or a novel about an empire destroyed by a black hole, why do I care so much about if people listen to my boring elevator music? The answer was right in front of me: I shouldn't, and I don't.

So music is going to finally be one of my projects that I can fully explore like anything else I like to do, and this whole scene of releasing music and hyping up projects and having a particular continuity just isn't really my thing any more. Of course, if anyone is ever curious as to what I'm up to musically, I'd be more than happy to share. And I'm always open to collaborating with other people on music projects. This is just the end of my tenure as a "professional" musician, because I never should have tried to "professionalize" one of my most personal projects.

Thanks for the great eight years everyone!
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:41 am

It's good to hear that you've found a balance between the things that you want. We'll all still listen to stuff you put out, but I get that the lack of reaction might seem a bit disheartening. There's no nice way to say this, but know that I don't mean this in a negative way at all - our interests don't overlap entirely, and while I love supporting you and have listened to basically everything you've put out (when Youtube finally puts it in my subscription feed, that is), I have to say it's not entirely my genre - currently my genre is atmospheric guitar based Australian psychedelics, Irish folk/lo-fi fuzz blues/hip-hop soul-pop whatever-the-fuck from a goofy Scottish dude, and Oklahoma based fuck-everything,-drop-acid,-and-see-who-pays-for-it music. But anything you put out I'll still listen to, and if you get any ideas for a certain collaboration which totally doesn't exist yet but might exist in the future (thanks for the lyrics, btw, those were exactly what I was looking for) let me know.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Re: AWT Music [RETIRED]

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks for understanding man, and you get what I'm saying pretty thoroughly. Restricting my creativity to find what people want, just for people to not care anymore just isn't worth my time. I'll make a million music projects just to amuse myself, and maybe share them if I feel like someone might like one of them. But my aspirations for anything great with this are gone, simply because it's not what being a musician really means to me. I just like to create and explore, and I think this will finally help me achieve the things I've always wanted to achieve. Without outside scrutiny weighing on whatever I make, I feel like my only limitations now are my own skill.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:32 pm

Go full Robert Pollard! Record 6,000 things a week and post them all, haha. Don't worry about constant uploads annoying people because YouTube never displays your videos in my "watch next" feed, I guess because you don't have pictures of tits and/or guns in every thumbnail. Someone will stumble on it and build a church in your honor or something. Your music I mean, not tits or guns. Enough people have already stumbled on those and there's already enough titgun churches out there.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:34 am

Something that just occurred to me is that I spent a year hyping up Project Antipode, and now it's going to go unresolved in public. I'll tie that up real quick.

So Antipode was obviously a codename to conceal the album's real name, just as Midori was meant to hide the title SunShade Reigns and keep it a surprise. Antipode was spoken of as a stylistic sequel to Polyphonic Pulse. Indeed, a lot of the songs were rooted in the same style as my other tracks like "The Neural Sonata", "Starlight Studio", and "Reflections", but with a bit more piano and atmospherics and a little less funk and hip-hop. The part I didn't mention, of course, was Antipode's real name, because I wanted it to be a big surprise as it got closer to completion.

Antipode wasn't just a sequel to Polyphonic Pulse, it was a sequel to Spectral as well. Antipode was Multispectral, the second entry in a planned Spectral Trilogy.

As you can see, this is where the problem of having more ideas than people will tolerate comes into play. That's hours of instrumental pop music about colors and shit, not exactly everyone's cup of tea. But it's more or less my dream project, a refinement of my top two favorite projects I've ever made plus songs and elements scrapped from the two parent projects. It would basically be my defining project for all time (except for maybe the inevitable Hyperspectral or SunShade Again... Seriously?).

Now obviously it's still getting made, but the idea of putting my heart and soul into my ultimate dream project just for most people to be like "eh, not my thing sorry" was a bit much to handle, and I've increasingly been having that type of thinking with my music anyway. But again, I'm always open to share whatever music I make with anyone who wants it, I just won't go through with albums, singles, hype campaigns, and all that bullshit. I just want to create, and if anyone wants to take the initiative and take a chance on me, then good for them.

Some Multispectral Track Names
-Pink Floyd Mania
-Crystalys
-Verdant Shade
-Megalopolis Parkway Panic
-Sleeping Stadium
-This Is Our World

Who knows, maybe when the entire Spectral Trilogy is complete I'll put it up on Google Drive or something for curious listeners to check out.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 am

I've been writing for my dream album project for most of October now. I'm not going to give it a public release or do any teasers for it or anything, but if anyone is curious or has enough interest in it, I'll probably make it available on Google Drive and just send people download links that want it. As my clever pastiche of Silver's signature suggests, it's called Awakening. Basically, that blend of classical, jazz, and ambient that I started off making back in 2014 for things like Silver Rain and later songs like "Come Rain or Shine" and "The Nature of Dreams" is the sound I've been wanting to make all along but haven't been due to audience pressure and all that. It's just going to be more of that "classic SunShade sound" with the piano/organ art rock, nothing fancy or groundbreaking. Just the stuff I've spent years trying not to make.
Alec Taylor

Previous

Return to Musician Central