Floydians Tribute

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!

Floydians Tribute

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:06 am

So I had this idea in my head for a while, but it sort of drifted out of my head for a while. If anyone remembers the "Upbeat and Catchy" thread I started a while back, that was more or less a vague "request a song for me to cover" thread that ended up fizzling out. But instead of being sneaky for some stupid, incoherent teaser campaign for a big release or some other nonsense, I'll just be outright since I don't really do the whole "music release" thing any more (Jesus, how many more "quotation marks" and I use in a "single" "paragraph"?).

I want to put together just a small collection of Pink Floyd tracks and upload it to Google Drive or something, as a thank you to this community. Throughout my time as a musician, you guys have been with me, given me more feedback and support than even my own family, and watched me grow from someone making Pink Floyd covers with the shitty microphone in his old computer monitor to someone who can do anything he sets his mind to within the realm of music. Now that it's all over, I figured the only appropriate form of gratitude was to go back to those roots and do up some Pink Floyd covers for you guys.

Just suggest a song or two, I'll pick a few of them (not all of them, I'm not made of free time :lol: ) to do remixes of (because when I'm done with them, they'll hardly resemble their original forms), plus a few extra goodies. I've found a lot of unused demos from both The Division Bell and The Endless River that I like, but sadly they're just bootleg quality. I sort of want to fix that.

If no one is interested, that's fine. I'm still going to recreate those 1993 bootlegs for my own listening pleasure. But I figured I would at least extend the offer and sort of tie up that loose end with that random thread I started that went nowhere (even though I'm probably the only one who remembers it).
Awakening - Probably Never™.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: Floydians Tribute

Postby The Silver Lining » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Hey "Alec"

I'd actually like to suggest we both suggest a song, and then both record a cover version of it and compare the outcome. You and I have completely different recording techniques and playing styles, so this could actually get pretty interesting.
In other words, I am inviting myself to join you and do the same thing you're suggesting. :P

Can I propose "Brain Damage" for starters?
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:55 am

So we both can do our own renditions of "Brain Damage" then compare?
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:56 am

Pretty much, yep. If you're up for that. :)
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:23 am

Cool. One of the tracks I originally wanted to do was "Fat Old Sun", because I had a pretty bold idea for it. We can both take that one on too because I guarantee our versions would be different.

So that's "Brain Damage", "Fat Old Sun", and a few 1993 bootlegs. A few more covers ought to round it out.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:21 am

Alright. This should definitely become interesting. I don't have my electric guitar available, so everything will have to happen with a piano, an acoustic guitar, a bass guitar and a drum computer.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:02 pm

"Fat Old Sun" with acoustic instruments? The horror!

So far I've got this (for my own personal part of the project):

-Brain Damage
-Fat Old Sun
-Untitled #1 (1993 outtake)
-TBS 14 (First Half)

Just a few more cover ideas while I settle on another bootleg to remix, and it will be set.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:52 am

This has been open for a week now, and between this thread and my PMs I've got what I need to give this project the green light. The songs on the docket are:

-Brain Damage
-Fat Old Sun
-Fearless
-A Saucerful of Secrets
-Untitled #1 (1993 outtake)
-TBS 14 (First Half)
-Untitled (TER Bonus Track)

I do want to reiterate that these will not be straight covers. If the people who made requests just want to hear me play the original song note for note, you will be disappointed. I want to really push these songs in new directions outside of their established "Pink Floyd sound" (or whatever), and although some may still be pretty close to the originals, others (like "Fat Old Sun") will hardly resemble them and in many ways almost be entirely new songs.

Anyone who wants to jump in and cover these same songs, feel free. It will be fun to compare renditions when it's all said and done.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Do an EDM cover of Seamus! :P
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Artisan wrote:Do an EDM cover of Seamus! :P

Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:59 pm

"Ladies and gentlemen... I am the greatest man in the world!"

Finally, a meme I recognize. Second-best series in the universe.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:37 am

Silver,

I don't know what your plans are for this yet exactly, I wasn't sure of your intentions in your original response. These are simply the songs I'm doing for what I had planned, I don't know if you were planning on doing the same ones as me, or just "Brain Damage", or whatever. I've been doing the writing for these covers over the past week and I think I'm ready to start. I hope you all enjoy what I've come up with.

EDIT (10/5/2017):
I don't know if edits made to posts shows up as unread or not, but here's my new thought. I've started work on this, and "Fat Old Sun" is sounds a bit dope (if I do say so myself). But I really don't have a lot of time to work on something like this at the moment, and my passion for music has fizzled out into nothing at this point, so it might be like next year before it's completed. I'm struggling just to finish my last two magnum opus albums for my own sake, so the drive really has died down a lot for me.
Alec Taylor

Return to Musician Central