What Instruments do you play?

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here
What Instruments do you play?

Post by quicksilver » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:52 pm

I'm a guitar player myself. I have played in a few bands in my time, amounting to absolutely nothing. My biggest gig back in the day was a block party where we played 80' pop songs..... Loverboy comes to mind :shock:

Anyhow I still play as much as time permits. I've tried to model my playing after David Gilmour as he was my first guitar hero (and continues to be), but that's an impossible task.

I have a 2005 Fender Strat Mexi (wine), with 2 single coils and a Humbucker. Self modified trem.
Behringer Untra-twin modeling amp.

I also have a 6 string Fender DG22C Acoustic (wired) and an Ibanez Concord 12-string which was handed down to me. I don't play that one much at all because tuning it is a bitch.

Typcally I get hyper focused on certain types of music. I've been playing a lot of Crosby Still Nash and Allman Bros lately.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: What Instruments do you play?

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm predominantly a bass guitar player and a keyboard player. I model my bass after Paul McCartney, especially his work on Revolver, and I'm starting to find a new role model in John Entwistle. My keys are mostly modeled on Rick Wright (surprise), but I also like to play a lot of Tony Banks' parts from The Lamb, especially that crazy solo from "In the Cage". I played saxophone in the high school marching band, but I haven't touched it much sense, so I'm severely out of practice.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:02 pm

SunShade wrote:I'm predominantly a bass guitar player and a keyboard player. I model my bass after Paul McCartney, especially his work on Revolver, and I'm starting to find a new role model in John Entwistle. My keys are mostly modeled on Rick Wright (surprise), but I also like to play a lot of Tony Banks' parts from The Lamb, especially that crazy solo from "In the Cage". I played saxophone in the high school marching band, but I haven't touched it much sense, so I'm severely out of practice.

Alec- are you familiar with Jack Bruce at all?
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:04 pm

I am, yes. He's one-third of Cream after all! :D
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:19 pm

SunShade wrote:I am, yes. He's one-third of Cream after all! :D

Yep. He kind of gets lost in the shuffle I think sometimes. He's a really good player and also plays a pretty good fretless bass.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm interested in the 'melodic' approach of bass playing, like what a lot of the greats were doing. Since the few bands I was in (plus the one I'm currently in) have never been able to depend on a good guitar, I took the mantle of lead guitarist on my bass and learned to play riffs, solos, etc. on it. Our best guitarist was pretty great, I remember our time with him fondly, but he had such terrible stage freight that we never knew if he'd actually play anything. So I took to learning his parts too and did what I could to carry us forward on bass. The bands I've been in have very much been 'bass and drums' at their core. Project Rain is essentially a rhythm section with a singer, more or less.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:54 pm

John Klingberg is another great bass player with that melodic style. He's not widely known, but recorded a lot with Van Morrison.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:09 pm

I'll be sure to look him up some time. I have quite the queue of artists/musicians to look into from all the suggestions I keep getting from people, so it might take some time! :lol:

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Taking a deep breath...

I play properly:
Guitar, piano, bass guitar, ukulele, harmonica.

I play sort-of properly:
Accordion, ocarina.

I play badly:
Mandolin, drums, saxophone.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:37 pm

John Entwistle is the best bass player ever. I mean, yeah, there are a lot of greats - Stanley Clarke comes to mind - but nobody does it like Thunderfingers. Listen to the isolated bass track on The Real Me. Good luck playing like him though...

I play bass, guitar, piano (poorly), organ, drums (electronic kit only though), harmonica, and I could probably play trumpet, baritone, and tuba if you gave me a few minutes to remember how to play those notes. Guitar is my favorite to play. The only instruments that I cannot play are the upside-down drums and the electric bass triangle.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Arno Sluismans wrote:Taking a deep breath...

I play properly:
Guitar, piano, bass guitar, ukulele, harmonica.

I play sort-of properly:
Accordion, ocarina.

I play badly:
Mandolin, drums, saxophone.
Ukulele? you'd be great at parties :D

Reminds of the quote from Bob Ezrin regarding David Gilmour “You can give him a ukulele and he’ll make it sound like a Stradivarius.”
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Floydy
Meddle

Post by Floydy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:23 pm

I play guitar... It's all David Gilmours fault! Blame him.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Floydy wrote:I play guitar... It's all David Gilmours fault! Blame him.
Damn him!

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:42 am

Alright, taking cue from an earlier post...

What I Play Properly-
Piano, Organ, Saxophone, Bass guitar, Drums

What I Almost Play Properly-
Guitar

What I Play Badly-
Violin, Trumpet, Vocals, Electric Bass Triangle

DeepSubmergeRMM
Ummagumma

Post by DeepSubmergeRMM » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:25 am

I have a pair of bongos, a ukelele, a mandolin and a bass.

I just kind of mess around with them. I'm no musician.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:27 am

DeepSubmergeRMM wrote:I have a pair of bongos, a ukelele, a mandolin and a bass.

I just kind of mess around with them. I'm no musician.
Screwing around with some instruments is the first step, you know! ;)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:30 am

I am very upset that I have been trying to play piano my whole life and still can't, but have picked up bass, guitar, and drums within the last year. I'd say 10+ years of piano practice should yield better results, but I learned the opening solo to Wish You Were Here in about three minutes and the chords to Dogs in less. It makes me angry. I can play most of one song on piano. I can play dozens on guitar. It's infuriating.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:47 am

I get that sort of infuriating feeling too when I try to play guitar. I mean, I can run up and down the bass fretboard with relative ease, and I can bend, vibrato, and even play slide on a bass. It's such a stress-reliever to sit down at the bass compared to the keyboard, because the bass guitar is really the only instrument I can play for 100% pure enjoyment. But as soon as I pick up a regular 6-string guitar, I just can't do anything with it. Suddenly my bends are awful and out of tune, and my slide sounds like a dying goose. Every note is so plucky and off. It doesn't even matter what guitar I pick up, I can't make the magic happen. I never realized what a difference there could be between a bass and a guitar, but for some reason, I just can't play guitar the way I can play bass.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:59 am

The inverse is true for me, but it has to be remembered that the bass and guitar are two separate beasts (yeah, John Entwistle, I know). The bass holds the song together. It's the tracks for the musical train. You can play the root note of the chord to the beat, invent little leads for it (see Why Don't We Do It In The Road), or have them control the song (Money, some Who songs). It's probably the most important instrument in a song. Imagine any song without the bass. It becomes very apparent that there are two or three instruments trying to do the same thing. A derailed train is something for the media (looking at you, top 40 radio). But the real thing is the train on its journey.

And on the subject of train metaphors, my singing voice is the train whistle and/or grinding of wheels on steel.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:23 pm

I've been playing guitar for a long time and consider myself a decent player, but I pick up a bass and I'm like a deer in headlights. Musically I should be able to play better as I know the notes and so forth, but my fingers don't seem to work right.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:24 pm

quicksilver wrote:I've been playing guitar for a long time and consider myself a decent player, but I pick up a bass and I'm like a deer in headlights. Musically I should be able to play better as I know the notes and so forth, but my fingers don't seem to work right.
That pretty much sums up my attempted transitions from bass to guitar.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Guitarists tend to underestimate how difficult it is to play the bass properly. I've heard so many people say "If you can play the guitar, you can play the bass as well", and I just can't understand how they can be so narrow-minded about it.

Personally, I was never able to nail the bass until I got a Höfner bass. The strings are much closer together and have lower action than other bass guitars, which makes it a lot easier to play.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Maybe my fingers are just used to the big fat strings on a bass guitar, and my arms are used to the longer neck. I just can't figure it out. I do know that when I try and play guitar, I'm never quite sure what to do with the B and high E strings. :lol:

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:49 pm

SunShade wrote:Maybe my fingers are just used to the big fat strings on a bass guitar, and my arms are used to the longer neck. I just can't figure it out. I do know that when I try and play guitar, I'm never quite sure what to do with the B and high E strings. :lol:
Just take them off :lol:
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Drums (drum kit)