What Instruments do you play?

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
The Silver Lining
Animals
Re: What Instruments do you play?

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:14 am

Thinking of buying myself a cello for my birthday. Anyone has experience with self-learning this instrument?
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello

I've never used one, no. I wouldn't know. Sorry.

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:29 am

The Silver Lining wrote:Thinking of buying myself a cello for my birthday. Anyone has experience with self-learning this instrument?
Yes I also play the Cello, I didn't teach it to myself though. Their not cheap, so if your going to buy one, make sure you shop around and get one that sounds relatively good for its price.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:42 pm

I just purchased an Epiphone SG Special. Its a cheap Gibson SG copy, but actually sounds pretty good. I've been playing a lot of Cream and The Who lately and wanted to try to get closer to that sound. The action is a lot higher than on my Strat so I'm struggling a bit to get comfortable.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:50 am

I'm trying to learn slide guitar, but since I suck at regular guitar, I'm not having much luck. My guitar's intonation is unrepairable, which makes the frets useless in obtaining any pitch. I thought I could use the slide to control the pitch manually and overcome that problem, but Christ on a cracker I suck. Then again, I probably have about fifteen minutes of practice at slide guitar in two years, so that's probably part of the problem. On the plus side, I can perfectly replicate every sound David used in the "Syncopated Pandemonium" section of "A Saucerful of Secrets". I really do mean that. It brings me joyous glee to piss off people with loud reverberating alien guitar noises. :twisted:
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:37 pm

I'm trying to learn slide guitar as well. Not going very well. What I need is one of those half-slides so you can still fret with the finger the slide is on, and just move the lower half over the string to slide. I have a full chrome one and I can pretty badly ruin "No Expectations".

One of the most difficult things for me is figuring out the chords to a song. Some people can sit down and figure it out with ease, but I just spent two hours transcribing a song with five chords because barely anybody's heard it and there are no tabs online. I had to deal with Spotify to actually find the song - even though I've known it my whole life. And it's a very simple song, but I'm just really bad with theory. I think I have it now. Open mics of the world beware.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:54 am

That's the problem I've been having with Peter Gabriel's song "White Shadow". I so want to cover that song, but Jesus the chords are weird. I got the bass line figured out, but naturally it doesn't play in the same key as everything else, so that really accomplished 0.1% of what I wanted it to.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:46 am

The only song I can play on guitar is Neutral Milk Hotel's Oh Comely, and even then I only use 3 of the 6 or 7 chords, hah. Just cut out the end bit and the D chords.

DeepSubmergeRMM
Ummagumma

Post by DeepSubmergeRMM » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:10 pm

I spent most of last year practicing bass and messing around with my synthesizer. Still don't think I can "play" them, though.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Hey, if you ever need tips on bass or keyboards, I know a guy. ;)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:56 pm

Going to try to face my hatred of singing by playing live at open mic shows. Anyone want to buy me a harmonica in E so I can play one of my favorite songs? :P

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:59 am

Yesterday I bought an Epiphone DR-100 but it needs new strings.
Dyma Coronafeirws

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Dyolf wrote:Yesterday I bought an Epiphone DR-100 but it needs new strings.
Good show! What's the color scheme on it?

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:49 am

SunShade wrote:
Vintage sunburst. It only cost me £80 (they usually sell for £100-120). I must admit though that the strings sit further away from the fretboard than I'd like, compared to the Tanglewood I had. Maybe I just need to get used to it. I've just ordered some Earnie Ball Earthwood Lights (Gilmour's acoustic strings) for it.
Dyma Coronafeirws

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Dyolf wrote:
SunShade wrote:
Vintage sunburst. It only cost me £80 (they usually sell for £100-120). I must admit though that the strings sit further away from the fretboard than I'd like, compared to the Tanglewood I had. Maybe I just need to get used to it. I've just ordered some Earnie Ball Earthwood Lights (Gilmour's acoustic strings) for it.
That's a pretty good price, I must say (I did pounds-to-dollars for comparison). I've been looking into getting a decent keyboard since mine is eating crap right now, but most of them are like £200-550 (if I did the conversion right) and that's quite a bit out of my price range.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:41 am

SunShade wrote:
Dyolf wrote:
SunShade wrote:
That's a pretty good price, I must say (I did pounds-to-dollars for comparison). I've been looking into getting a decent keyboard since mine is eating crap right now, but most of them are like £200-550 (if I did the conversion right) and that's quite a bit out of my price range.
I suppose it means what you mean by decent. There must be cheaper ones out there but it will probably mean compromising on some features. I looked into keyboards a few years ago when I thought about recording some music. I wanted one where I could cheat and play chords just by playing the root note to avoid actually learning to play piano - but those keyboards seem to be the mid to top-end ones.

About a year ago I was going to write a long piece of music, or maybe two 20 minute pieces, something like that. It was going to be a project which I was going to do over a year or so - learning to use GarageBand, collecting some instruments, pedals, effects units, and then finally recording it, I even looked into how much it would cost to hire instruments like a Rickenbacker bass, tubular bells, electric double bass, pedal steel guitar, drums etc. But then last June I got into a relationship and I can't shake her off :lol: so now there's no time.
Dyma Coronafeirws

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:48 pm

Dyolf wrote:
SunShade wrote:
Dyolf wrote:
SunShade wrote:
I suppose it means what you mean by decent. There must be cheaper ones out there but it will probably mean compromising on some features. I looked into keyboards a few years ago when I thought about recording some music. I wanted one where I could cheat and play chords just by playing the root note to avoid actually learning to play piano - but those keyboards seem to be the mid to top-end ones.

About a year ago I was going to write a long piece of music, or maybe two 20 minute pieces, something like that. It was going to be a project which I was going to do over a year or so - learning to use GarageBand, collecting some instruments, pedals, effects units, and then finally recording it, I even looked into how much it would cost to hire instruments like a Rickenbacker bass, tubular bells, electric double bass, pedal steel guitar, drums etc. But then last June I got into a relationship and I can't shake her off :lol: so now there's no time.
I just more or less want one with semi-weighted keys, a full 88 keys, and more tones than just piano, organ, strings, etc. The keyboard I've had for about eight years (I think?) is only 61 keys that aren't weighted at all. There are some good MIDI keyboard controllers that work great for recording and fit into my budget easily, but don't make any sound on their own, and I want something I can sit down at an just play.

Them darn relationships do seem to take up a lot of time. :lol: But I've been with Madi for almost two-and-a-half years now, and I wouldn't change it for the world. She comes from a musical family as well (her father being a jazz/blues pianist at the 18th and Vine District of Kansas City), so she's starting to take an interest in music again because of me. It's a great feeling, for sure.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:01 am

So I got a keyboard handed down to me from my future father-in-law a few days ago. Although it won't replace my current keyboard (sadly), it will make for a fun learning tool. It's a Korg DW-8000, an ancient relic by this day in age, but it's a legit 80s synth with all sorts of gadgets and gizmos. I'll try to post a picture of it when I can, this thing is a behemoth!

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:07 pm

I have a Casio WK-110 keyboard that I bought used for $200 about 7 years ago. I bought it with the intent to try and teach myself but never did. It is pretty cool to noodle around with as it has all kinds of different sounds and such.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago