Your favorite instrument

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
The Silver Lining
Animals
Your favorite instrument

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Tell us what your favorite instrument is, from the ones that you personally own!

Mine is my blond Telecaster guitar. Its sound is great, and it plays more smoothly than any other guitar I've ever touched. Low action, thin frets and a smooth fret board do the trick. :)

I probably won't even buy a new guitar until this one falls apart. It's perfect for me. :)
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Floydy
Meddle

Re: Your favorite instrument

Post by Floydy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Nice. I have a cheap Fender copy that I modified to look like Davids Black Strat.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Floydy wrote:Nice. I have a cheap Fender copy that I modified to look like Davids Black Strat.
That must be awesome. Should use that one when you play concerts, and insist that it's exactly the same model as David's. :P

Floydy
Meddle

Post by Floydy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:52 pm

I only play for my own gratification. I have a few pedals as well. I have played for friends of mine and they have said that I play well but I know that there is room for improvement.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:11 pm

That's an awesome tele for sure........love the color too. Maple necks are smoooooooooth :D

What kind of amp do you pipe it through?
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 pm

My amp is a Marshall, although I usually use my brother's Line6 for recording, as my own is a bit broken after I allowed some metalhead to use it for 10 minutes. (Needless to say, he simply cranked up everything to 10. Literally.)

I need a new amp, that's for sure. Right now I'm investing in some pedals though. I bought a CS-3 compressor/sustainer, and will probably buy an OCD Fulltone soon.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Arno Sluismans wrote:My amp is a Marshall, although I usually use my brother's Line6 for recording, as my own is a bit broken after I allowed some metalhead to use it for 10 minutes. (Needless to say, he simply cranked up everything to 10. Literally.)

I need a new amp, that's for sure. Right now I'm investing in some pedals though. I bought a CS-3 compressor/sustainer, and will probably buy an OCD Fulltone soon.

That CS-3 is a nice pedal..... balances highs and lows very well. Make sure your next amp goes to 11 :D
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm

quicksilver wrote:
Arno Sluismans wrote:My amp is a Marshall, although I usually use my brother's Line6 for recording, as my own is a bit broken after I allowed some metalhead to use it for 10 minutes. (Needless to say, he simply cranked up everything to 10. Literally.)

That CS-3 is a nice pedal..... balances highs and lows very well. Make sure your next amp goes to 11 :D
What I'm even more certain of, is that I will never borrow anyone any of my instruments anymore...

Which amp would you personally use for a telecaster?

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:29 pm

This is my baby. Currently it doesn't have any strings though, because I'm a dumb shit.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Arno Sluismans wrote:
quicksilver wrote:

What I'm even more certain of, is that I will never borrow anyone any of my instruments anymore...

Which amp would you personally use for a telecaster?
I've always liked the sound of Fender twin tube amps. I don't personally own one but a friend of mine does and I've plugged in my Strat before and it sounds great both clean and dirty. Oddly, a Les Paul does not sound good through the Fender amp, but that could've been P-90's. Gibsons and Marshalls seem to go together very well.

The only amp I currently own is a Behringer Ultra Twin, which is fine for playing at home and noodling around, but if I ever was to join a band or record something I would seriously look at some of those Fender tube amps.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 pm

This is my 12 string. Its fun to play and has a heavenly sound, but its hard to keep tuned properly.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:19 am

I used to own a lovely blonde Mexican Telecaster, it looked exactly like the one David plays on Remember That Night.

I'll upload a pic of my crappy Affinity Squier Strat I customised to look like the Black Strat when I get time.
Dyma Coronafeirws

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:43 am

I never did comment on this thread. :lol: My MIDI keyboard isn't a particularly great model with a lot of features, but it gets the job done. It's a Casio CTK-720, but I'm hoping to upgrade once I have the money to sink into a new keyboard.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:47 pm

So someone in a nearby town was trying to get rid of an old electric organ recently for $20. I pretty much sprung on the chance and bought it, and now I'm the proud owner of a cheaply-made, retro late-1970s electric organ. It's a Kimball Entertainer, and they are pretty much valued at nothing because they were so mass-produced and unpopular that no one thinks they're worth anything. But hey, it works and it sounds good! I'll post a picture when I get the chance to.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:50 pm

Now that I'm no longer taking piano lessons, I love the piano again. I just learned the intro to The Song Is Over by the Who, The Gunner's Dream, and probably a few other things. I've also learned some Who on bass (two songs, really watered-down versions because I ain't no Thunderfingers. I do feel as though my hands have been struck by lightning though.)

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 am

Mayonnaise.
Look up. You'll find things that you never imagined you would.

Anarcho-Capitalist, political activist.
Musician, and advocate of secession and non-aggression.
News editor for Being Libertarian, because freedom matters.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:40 pm

Madi and I have a real piano finally! And gosh I'm so used to non-weighted keyboard keys that I fucking suck at real piano!

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:06 am

My favourite instrument? Hmm.... uilleann pipes! They're like bagpipes, but Irish. Mike Oldfield has used them a fair bit on his albums.
Dyma Coronafeirws

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm

These days I only really play the bass guitar. A perfectly simple black-and-white Jazz Bass. It's been my favorite instrument ever since I got it 2 years ago.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:20 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm
These days I only really play the bass guitar. A perfectly simple black-and-white Jazz Bass. It's been my favorite instrument ever since I got it 2 years ago.
Is a Jazz Bass a specific kind of bass guitar?

In my three years as a live musician I actually preferred playing bass over keyboards in front of a crowd. I've never felt like a "pianist" or anything that was worth showing off. Even though I compose music electronically I still try to learn my own riffs on the bass because of how satisfying it is to run up and down that fretboard with such thick, deep tones.