I'm thinking of buying a new guitar

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
Dyolf
Animals
I'm thinking of buying a new guitar

Post by Dyolf » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:10 pm

So, if you're here you know what this is about.

I'm thinking of buying this Squier Strat. This is to replace the hash-up I made of my current Strat which I messed around with to make it more like David's Black Strat. But I think I've arsed up the bridge or something because now the strings sit far to far away from the fretboard (at the body end, not the nut-end). It's also an Affinity Squire and a heap of shit anyway, so I'd like an upgrade.

Dyma Coronafeirws

The Silver Lining
Animals

Re: I'm thinking of buying a new guitar

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:18 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with a Squire Strat. They're great for almost every genre.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Plus it's in the 50s Vibe range, which I hear are pretty good. I know Gilmour's red and cream Stratocasters from 1987 onwards were all 50s re-issues, not sure what his Black Strat is off the top of my head. Plus I love the Olympic White colour-scheme, it's like the #0001 Stratocaster (also owned by David! :mrgreen: )
Dyma Coronafeirws

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:07 pm

It's aaaaaaaaaalmost as good looking as Mr Jimi's white strat. :)

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:17 pm

Squire makes a nice guitar, you'll be happy with that one. And yes, my first thought was #0001 :D
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:37 pm

The thing is, Squier's are made all over the world, and to greatly varying degrees of quality, or so I believe. Apparently they're made in Mexico, China, Korea and Japan - maybe elsewhere too, so how do you know what you're getting with the "Squier" logo?
Dyma Coronafeirws

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Dyolf wrote:The thing is, Squier's are made all over the world, and to greatly varying degrees of quality, or so I believe. Apparently they're made in Mexico, China, Korea and Japan - maybe elsewhere too, so how do you know what you're getting with the "Squier" logo?

Unless you can get the serial # you probably won't know. Most of the Squier's you get online from the States are from China or indonesia.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Where it's made is a problem? Look at the American workforce. It's composed entirely of people from those countries, with materials imported from those countries, because pure-bred Americans are lazy do-nothing sacks of shit in the workplace (for the most part). You just pay $1000 more to have the Squier label removed and some other useless crap added on. I own a Squier VM Strat, and it plays a million times better than any official Fender. Save money and get a superior product.

Let me tell ya - Made in America is one expensive sticker.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm not saying foreign-made products are inferior (in fact US made is still foreign to me). My point is, if a product is made under one name, "Squier" but is made in many countries around the world, then surely there are potential issues with consistency. I've heard that the Korean and Japanese models aren't as good as the Chinese, for example - no idea if it's true though. I don't particularly care where it's made, but having some way of telling if it's one of the better models would be good. My current Strat, an Affinity Squier model is dreadful, it was before I messed it up.

Upon doing some research into the Classic Vibe 50s series it seems they're very highly regarded. Every review I've found is 4 or 5 stars, with the exception of one 3-star rating from someone who wanted to customise it and broke it doing so, so I disregard that as an outlier :roll: . But on the whole these Classic Vibe Strats seem to be very popular.
Dyma Coronafeirws

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:54 pm

My guitar was made by some company called Stagg, and it's awful. The intonation is waaaay off, and the screws to fix it are so stripped that it's just nearly unplayable above the seventh or ninth fret because of how badly it goes out of tune. I've been thinking about just playing strictly slide guitar with it since that would give me the ability to control the pitch myself, but I'm tempted just to save up and buy an electric guitar. I want to build a custom body to put my bass and a 6-string guitar in so I can go double-neck and play both roles in a band.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:35 pm

Its always best to sit and play the guitar before you buy if you can. I bought my Mexi-Strat from Musician Friend after I played around with it at the local music shop. I bought online because the price was too good to pass up. It ended up being as good as I hoped it would be.

Now, I also recently bought an Epiphone SG, completely blind without playing it and it was garbage.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:38 pm

I don't have a lot of extra income (making pizzas part-time ain't making bank that fast), so if/when I do buy some more musical equipment, it's definitely going to be of decent to good quality so I don't end up getting burned and not be able to afford to fix my mistakes.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:19 pm

The nearest (decent) musical instrument shop is twenty miles from me, and I really can't be bothered going there on the off-chance that they'll have a Classic Vibe series Strat.
Dyma Coronafeirws

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:28 pm

I've never been let down by Squier, though I typically stick to the Vintage Modified series myself. I'll tell you that the VM Jazzmaster is the best guitar I have ever seen. Incredible tone, a million features, looks beautiful. Easy to use. I've played an official Jazz and it felt like a poorly cut brick with strings on it. There's no contest.

Sunshade, what kind of sound do you want with a guitar?

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Artisan wrote:I've never been let down by Squier, though I typically stick to the Vintage Modified series myself. I'll tell you that the VM Jazzmaster is the best guitar I have ever seen. Incredible tone, a million features, looks beautiful. Easy to use. I've played an official Jazz and it felt like a poorly cut brick with strings on it. There's no contest.

Don't you find that they're butt-ugly though?
Dyma Coronafeirws

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Artisan wrote:I've never been let down by Squier, though I typically stick to the Vintage Modified series myself. I'll tell you that the VM Jazzmaster is the best guitar I have ever seen. Incredible tone, a million features, looks beautiful. Easy to use. I've played an official Jazz and it felt like a poorly cut brick with strings on it. There's no contest.

I'm not particular to a certain sound that I can think of off the top of my head. Although, if you listen to the slide guitar work on "Marwa Blues" by George Harrison (or any of George's solo work, for that matter), that's the kind of slide I want to be able to play. I've thought about slide bass, but I can't get the pressure right (it takes quite a bit), so I sound awful at it!

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:36 pm

SunShade wrote:

I'm not particular to a certain sound that I can think of off the top of my head. Although, if you listen to the slide guitar work on "Marwa Blues" by George Harrison (or any of George's solo work, for that matter), that's the kind of slide I want to be able to play. I've thought about slide bass, but I can't get the pressure right (it takes quite a bit), so I sound awful at it!
Marwa Blues... I think it's everybody's dream to play like that.

I don't think even David Gilmour could pull off a convincing version of that song. And that's something you won't hear me say everyday. :-)

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:14 am

Did someone edit my last post? :shock:
Dyma Coronafeirws

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:17 am

Shit!! Sorry, I hit edit instead of quote. I'll fix it.

There. Sorry about that. I don't know why I have edit permission. What I meant to say in my own post is that yes, I think the Jazzmaster is a great guitar. I like the offset bodies, and the pickups are cool. A red tortoise shell pickguard and sunburst body looks best to me.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:52 pm

SunShade wrote:My guitar was made by some company called Stagg, and it's awful. The intonation is waaaay off, and the screws to fix it are so stripped that it's just nearly unplayable above the seventh or ninth fret because of how badly it goes out of tune. I've been thinking about just playing strictly slide guitar with it since that would give me the ability to control the pitch myself, but I'm tempted just to save up and buy an electric guitar. I want to build a custom body to put my bass and a 6-string guitar in so I can go double-neck and play both roles in a band.
Stagg guitars are absolutely terrible. Their guitars are usually very low-end, cheap ones. And even then, their price-quality ratio is atrocious. A fireplace would feel offended if you tried to light it with a Stagg guitar.

Their utilities (like guitar cases and such) are pretty good and durable though. I like the brand for the good stuff, but their guitars are rubbish.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Arno Sluismans wrote:
SunShade wrote:My guitar was made by some company called Stagg, and it's awful. The intonation is waaaay off, and the screws to fix it are so stripped that it's just nearly unplayable above the seventh or ninth fret because of how badly it goes out of tune. I've been thinking about just playing strictly slide guitar with it since that would give me the ability to control the pitch myself, but I'm tempted just to save up and buy an electric guitar. I want to build a custom body to put my bass and a 6-string guitar in so I can go double-neck and play both roles in a band.
Stagg guitars are absolutely terrible. Their guitars are usually very low-end, cheap ones. And even then, their price-quality ratio is atrocious. A fireplace would feel offended if you tried to light it with a Stagg guitar.

Their utilities (like guitar cases and such) are pretty good and durable though. I like the brand for the good stuff, but their guitars are rubbish.
Yep, that's a listen I've learned the hard way. I'm not much into the different brands of guitars (being mainly a keyboard player), but I'll definitely shy away from any more Staggs in the future.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:44 pm

SunShade wrote:Yep, that's a listen I've learned the hard way. I'm not much into the different brands of guitars (being mainly a keyboard player), but I'll definitely shy away from any more Staggs in the future.
Well, we're glad you learned your listen.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:09 pm

I have a nice acoustic made a small company called Tanglewood. Anyone heard of them?
Dyma Coronafeirws

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:16 pm

Dyolf wrote:I have a nice acoustic made a small company called Tanglewood. Anyone heard of them?
Never heard of them, but often times the smaller companies make the best instruments. Post a pic......
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:17 pm

quicksilver wrote:
Dyolf wrote:I have a nice acoustic made a small company called Tanglewood. Anyone heard of them?
Never heard of them, but often times the smaller companies make the best instruments. Post a pic......
I will soon. Watch this space! Here's a little info on Tanglewood.
Dyma Coronafeirws