(RETIRED) Frowning's KeyToHerHeart Music Thread

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother
(RETIRED) Frowning's KeyToHerHeart Music Thread

Post by FrowningBanana » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:04 am

Hey guys, it's been a while. Been mighty busy.

So just a couple weeks ago, I released the double album I've been working on for 3 odd years now. Like I've said before, very instrumental, very experimental: not for all listeners. 26 of the 29 songs are my own work, and the remaining 3 are my own takes on some works of others (one of those being Pink Floyd's "Travel Sequence," the others being Devin Townsend's "Saloon" [which the reprise is only a reprise in name, it is only inspired] and the song Trapezoid [which is inspired by a few different pieces by Nebula and Robert Prince]).

The album is called "New Oceans" - which was taken from something my best friend said to me not too long ago. It stuck with me, and this was only the most fitting title for such an album. You can find any meaning you like, I can think of a bunch, but I think of it as I'm sailing new oceans in my life - going down new paths, and I'm creating these oceans or paths as I go, and it's changing my life. I'm going through a very transformative period in my life. I've changed so much since I've started this project.

The musical alias I took on for my music is "Key to Her Heart." It's symbolic to me because my girlfriend of a year a half got me a necklace back at Christmas that was a key, and she wears the necklace that is a key with a keyhole: I hold the key to her heart. It's cheesy, but when I was thinking - last minute of course - for an alias to write and distribute my music under, that was both symbolic to me and also original - not used - I thought that was fitting, and especially fitting as well since she pushed me to finish the project, when I had about given up.

Though the final track listing is very very different than the final one (I did a lot of tweaking and came out with the thing that was the closest representation of the dream I had set out upon 3 years earlier), it is superior in my eyes, and represents my emotions over the past 3 years. While it's very experimental, and meant to sound rough like an "Unplugged" album without actually being it, hopefully there is a song to enjoy on it.

I've said this before, but here's a quick synopsis - the first disc I dubbed "Calm" as it is supposed to be the calm and ambient side, and towards the end ramps up and gets louder and fuller and more upbeat as it leads into the second disc: "storm." The storm disc is a more upbeat side and eventually hits a point where it has a sort of Ummagumma feel to it (even though it's mostly loud electric guitar, it's got that non-musical spontanaeity when the track "The Death Effect" rolls around).

Most of the music was impromptu, it was intended to be an experiment and 2 years in I came up with the double album vision. If it's unlistenable I understand, but I figure some of the stuff will be interesting to you guys here.

You can find the album here: https://keytoherheart.bandcamp.com/ - - - This is where I will also be putting new material when I release it, and it will be announced on this thread.

Feedback is much appreciated! I've gotten some feedback from my Facebook friends, but I remembered that a while ago I mentioned it here and there was some interest.

(Edit): I forgot to mention that it's free of charge. Feel free to download the album or select tracks, or not at all. Whatever you choose. Enjoy! Hope you guys like it! Let me know!
Last edited by FrowningBanana on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Look up. You'll find things that you never imagined you would.

Anarcho-Capitalist, political activist.
Musician, and advocate of secession and non-aggression.
News editor for Being Libertarian, because freedom matters.

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Re: The FrowningBanana Music Thread

Post by FrowningBanana » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:09 am

Also: Since I was so late to let you guys know about the fact that I released this (released it on June 12th lol), you guys get to be the first to know this:

I'm also working on my next album already, started the day I released the double album actually. I have 3 tracks so far, two of which are guaranteed to be on the album, one is debatable (gotta rework the mix).

I don't have a title for the next album yet, but I want it to be the best musical release I can physically put out, and one that's listenable and feels like an album. It's not going to be super experimental like "New Oceans."

Straw
Meddle

Post by Straw » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:04 am

Damn, I wanna hear this. I'll listen to this when I'm on a computer.

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:07 am

Prepare to be only marginally impressed. Haha. Tell me what you think.

Another update on my new material: I've had some rough days lately and thus some heavy music has come out of it that is in stark contrast to the more happy stuff I did before, and this is posing a problem as to which kind of project I want to release next, and if it's okay to put some happy music in with some metal or vice versa all into the same thing --- which to me seems dumb.

So look for two releases in the near future possibly. One hard rock/metal stuff, and one soft rock.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:16 pm

I really liked the Calm first disc myself, especially the piano tracks. That's mostly just a personal preference thing though, being a piano person myself. But all of it was really good. Definitely not what I expected, you really meant it when you said it was experimental. Parts of the Storm second disc remind me a little bit of Robert Fripp's Frippertronics, with the way the guitar parts can fall back over themselves. Overall a very interesting listen. My favorite song overall was probably "Decisions", and both of the opening tracks were cook.

Looking forward to what you come out with next. :)
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Thanks for the feeback SunShade!

I find that I enjoy putting on the Calm disc quite often, and the piano stuff is also my favorite. Thanks for saying it was good, maybe there's something about me noticing all my faults since I know what I intended in certain parts, but I don't think it's as polished as it could've been in some areas. I really just wasn't doing click tracks and I was trying to be spontaneous, and I found that that made the editing process very tedious, and I had to rework a lot of the mixes.

The frippertronics thing makes sense, I had only stumbled upon it before, so I totally know what you mean.

I'm glad you liked the first track, I thought it was too... I don't know... too much of not a song. I guess I always go back and forth on the ambient thing, because I love it but I know people hate it usually. I needed to have some of Paul McCartney talking about II though on there, I had been listening to that album a lot and it inspired me to not make this so much of a commercialized project, but more of an experiment.

The emotion that comes along with much of the Storm disc for me makes it rough to listen to in one stretch for me usually. Because I remember what I was going through when I just kind of sat down and cranked out a lot of that disc, at different times.

Oddly enough, the song A Common Dream was originally part of another project I had kind of been working on but scrapped. It's actually a couple of the songs from that put together in a way I liked.

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:28 pm

Also, I have 11 tracks (another 53 minutes) worth of material that didn't make it on to the album, but was already mixed and mastered, and then another good 12-15 tracks of stuff that was planned to be mixed, but I ended up saying "to hell with it, these don't work"... hope that gives you some sort of idea about the magnitude of this project.

Debating if putting together those songs and releasing it as the leftovers, calling it something like "Unused Keys" or "Leftover Keys" would be apt, or if I should re mix a few that I actually might be able to work into my next stuff?

Choices, choices. Let me know your thoughts on that.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:22 pm

I totally get where you're coming from here. Making a good studio record out of improvised sessions is hard, or at least it was for me. My original vision for Spectral was heavily based on improvisation, and that was part of the reason I had to cancel it and take another six months to work it all out. The Paul McCartney track was cool just because I liked it, I like that sort of thing. My last project had a track like that, where it was more of a sound collage than an actual song with structure to it. It actually came out about a month ago, but I didn't post any links here just because I noticed that my own music thread only had posts from me since like February or something and there wasn't much of an interest, so I didn't feel like spamming the forum with links to my material when I didn't get the feeling that anyone was listening.

I'd be interested in hearing outtakes if you feel like releasing them. I personally use everything I record whether it's any good or not, just to get it out there. There's been a few songs of mine I've hated a lot that some people ended up really liking, so you never know. :lol:
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:01 am

Only two months after the last album, I've finished recording, mastering, mixing (and all that jazz) a new album. It's completed, and I couldn't help but release it today, being that it's a fitting day - the last day of summer before my senior year in high school.

I'm calling it Carpe Articulum. (explanation below).

Here you go, would love feedback :) : https://keytoherheart.bandcamp.com/albu ... -articulum

The album is more digestible, and was meant to be recorded like an actual album. It came out amazing, i think. Two songs are covers out of the 11, Terminal by Devin Townsend, and Run Like Hell by Purple Freud ;) ehuehehuheueheuhehuehuheuheueheu

Anyways, here's a good bit from the synopsis of the album, which can be viewed on the site.

---

"The first idea for a title that I had was Carpe Diem, but after truly thinking about what that meant to me, I realized that is even more so the moments that matter than the days in general. Anyone can have up and down moments during a day, and it is kind of a general rule that no day is 100% horrible or 100% perfect. It's the moments that truly matter, and stand out.

So "Carpe Articulum," or "seize the moment" was the obvious choice. That's what I will remember in my life, the moments not the days. The moments I've shared with those closest to me, and even alone. Those are what I will remember, what I hold special, and in some instances what I'd prefer to forget.

This album is a natural conceptual sequel (it's nothing musically like it's predecessor) to my last album. Its a different musical style for sure, but it conceptually flows over from what the last album represents - which was me for the past few years.

This album highlights the change from right after all that music was written. The me that was pessimistic, and overanalytical, the person who was always down, and the person who really could've benefitted from a change of mind. And that's what I've done, I've been striving these last few months to be altruistic from the good of my heart, to be optimistic, and to remember the goal i set when I was just 6 years old - help people, dedicating my life to helping people.

The main jist of the concept is following a transformation from a upset, angry, pessimistic person to one that remembers their place in the world and what great things he set out to do, and becoming optimistic and happy, and someone who is a forward thinker. Someone who sees meaning in life, and can stop and smell the roses.

The album contains - again - no lyrics, but the music transitions from heavy music to light and happy music. You can feel the transformation."

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:06 pm

Sorry to get back to you so late, I've been on something of a hiatus from Floydians the past month or so. I'll give it a listen when I get the chance and let you know what I think of it! :)

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:08 am

Doubt anyone cares much at this point, but I released a third album just a couple of days ago. Some more piano than usual, and some better stuff than I've done, but some more raw too. A different feel than the first two albums. I like this one a lot and it resonates more with me I think in a lot of ways. Especially since I had a sort of story built around it for months in my head that I formulated the music around. Here's the story:
This album is driven by a story. The story of a young adult, who feels like many parts of his life weigh him down. He begins to lose sight of the end goal, amid all of his daily struggles. He forgets, also, that many amazing things and people allowed him to get to this point. The story posed in this album takes place overnight. The young man first has a flashback to his stress-free, simpler youth, and soon decides to goes to sleep, his mind filled with immense amounts of stressful thoughts and looming problems. He has a nightmare in which he loses the woman he loves in a fire, and then deep into the dream he wakes up early that next morning, finding that everything is okay, realizing it was all a dream. That morning he is reminded that the woman he loves was the catalyst that sparked a renewal in his hopes and dreams just a few years prior, that most of his daily happiness comes from her, as well as some of the key people and things in his life. He realizes that not all is lost, and just because many tough things in his life bring him down, he's got a lot to look forward to. He's found the Key to bring himself to push forward, and follow his goals and realize that just because times are tough currently, he will make it out, it is only a short term stress. Ultimately, he realizes (after a flashforward to his upward looking future), the Key that will keep him happy in his day to day life, is the love that him and his significant other share.
Kind of self-reflective, truly. The dream-based story was an idea I had to portray kind of a realization I had in my life a while back that helped me through a tough time, and the impact of that realization has had a lasting effect on my mentality.

Here it is, if anyone cares: III by Key to Her Heart.
https://keytoherheart.bandcamp.com/album/iii
I think tracks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 12 are the best of the batch. Those alone would make a good EP, and I formulated some more basic raw stuff that I liked around that, that fit the theme I had in musical form.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:35 pm

I love your music, man. You've got good style, good form, good everything. Looks like I'll be having a Key to Her Heart binge this evening.

Also, glad to have you back. ;)

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:03 am

Haha nahhhh man, but thank you. Any particular ones you like or? I'm trying to look for what to do better. (Obviously more instruments might be better but all I have is 2 guitars and a piano and I thought backwards guitar might serve well as a sort of extra-instrument replacement background filler that really had its own flair to it)

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:20 pm

Hey Alec, thanks for the donation. Really appreciate it. You know, like you, I never ask for money for my music. But I really appreciate it.

Really hope the moolah goes through though. I actually didn't have a PayPal set up for the email it said it was linked to? But I just made a PayPal (since I can now since I'm 18 and all). It said it would take 24-48 hours anyways so I figure that's kind of the deal.

Anyways, thanks man, really appreciate it. Maybe you can help me decide my next album title or something. I'll give you perks for being the first to donate.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:13 pm

It's nothing mate, you deserve every bit of it. I'm gonna have a Key to Her Heart marathon one of these days, when I've got some free time. I really thought that stuff was anonymous, so I feel a bit silly now. :lol:

I don't need any perks for being the first. I also used to not ask for money, but I had one project where I did (because I was in a tight spot), and decided to make about two or three of my sixteen releases paid as well (I am definitely quantity over quality).

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Re: Frowning's KeyToHerHeart Music Thread (RETIRED)

Post by FrowningBanana » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:30 am

For anyone that's still interested in my music, I've posted a LOT of new music since my absence.
A lot of which is far superior to my earlier stuff. Alec can attest to this.

But, with the split of my long-time girlfriend and I earlier this month, I retired the name. And I retire this thread, and will be making a new one with my next musical endeavor.

All the music can be found here, still: https://keytoherheart.bandcamp.com/

Trust me, though: what I have in store is far superior.

Floydy
Meddle

Post by Floydy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:33 am

FrowningBanana wrote:For anyone that's still interested in my music, I've posted a LOT of new music since my absence.
A lot of which is far superior to my earlier stuff. Alec can attest to this.

But, with the split of my long-time girlfriend and I earlier this month, I retired the name. And I retire this thread, and will be making a new one with my next musical endeavor.

All the music can be found here, still: https://keytoherheart.bandcamp.com/

Trust me, though: what I have in store is far superior.
Good to see you back man!

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:44 am

Thanks man, I appreciate it. It's been a minute.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:57 am

HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE

FrowningBanana
Atom Heart Mother

Post by FrowningBanana » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:59 am

And here I said I'd be on a long hiatus from music, but I've just been kind of like "eh I want to make music"... *music happens*