Describe your music in five words or less!

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts:2311
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am
Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Artisan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:09 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:Artisan masters my songs. Figures?
Didn't need to do anything!

User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
Posts:1503
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location:Kessel-Lo
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Artisan wrote:
The Silver Lining wrote:Artisan masters my songs. Figures?
Didn't need to do anything!
High notes still hurt ears.
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts:2311
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Artisan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:22 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Artisan wrote:
The Silver Lining wrote:Artisan masters my songs. Figures?
Didn't need to do anything!
High notes still hurt ears.
Never even noticed any? Hmm...

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:02 pm

Pretty much sick of it
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
Posts:1503
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location:Kessel-Lo
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:18 am

Artisan wrote:
The Silver Lining wrote:
Artisan wrote:
The Silver Lining wrote:Artisan masters my songs. Figures?
Didn't need to do anything!
High notes still hurt ears.
Never even noticed any? Hmm...
Ocarina solo in "The Girl"...

@Sunshade: Play for fun; not recordings.



Since 5 words is too little to convey a serious point: I feel butthurt every time you say something negative about your own music, and it's happening quite often. It makes me sad because your recordings sound great, and I think you'd have more fun with it if you wouldn't pressure yourself into working towards results.Maybe I'm wrong since I don't even know why you're sick of it, but it'd be a shame if you ruin your passion for music because you're not happy with certain results.
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:17 pm

Yesterday just went awful for that stuff. I openly asked people what I could do to improve, and what started off as getting the honest feedback and constructive criticism I was hoping for turned into people sending me messages that didn't actually talk about music that I make and were just excuses to bash me. I do want to improve what I do, so I guess the question stands here too: what am I doing right, and what am I doing wrong?

I know it's all for enjoyment, but I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to quality, so I get into perfectionist mode when I really get going on a project.


Five words: Learning more advanced recording software
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts:2311
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Artisan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 pm

SunShade wrote:Five words: Learning more advanced recording software
'Tis a good idea indeed
Wish I could afford that :lol:

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:11 pm

The one I found is free, and it's pretty powerful for a free tool. It's just been intimidating to learn since I've been using simple MIDI software like Anvil Studio and user-friendly stuff like Audacity for almost seven years now. Turning around and using a professional DAW like LMMS is a daunting task, but I'm committed to learning it so that my music will sound more alive. The world of sampling is especially strange, I still don't quite get the point of that yet.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts:2311
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Artisan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:06 pm

I use Audacity, which doesn't exactly do wonders for the sound quality but it gets the job done. I have no clue how to even begin using MIDI so all of my stuff sounds like someone forgot to practice before going into the session :lol:

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:49 pm

MIDI is nice for fine tuning mistakes so that it makes everything sound professional, but it's also very robotic and artificial so it's hard to squeeze dynamics or life out of it. Pros and cons I guess. I'm trying to move away from MIDI and get back to a more lively sound.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:20 am

Finally becoming a career musician


Fast food jobs are fun but unrewarding, U.S. college sucks ass if you don't like to party (and I'm the kind of drunk that gets naked and runs around outside, so no thank you), and my future work in cartography and urban design still seems like a far-off dream. I'm far too driven and passionate about music to keep it as a side hobby, and I'm prolific to a fault. I've got piano music as Alec W. Taylor, art and prog rock as SunShade, vaporwave as both Phantom Turnip and Hikari Tsuki, video game soundtracks as Lady Amaranth, and some other stuff behind-the scenes. Some of those pseudonyms of mine haven't even seen a release yet. I'm also too much of a perfectionist to do this just for kicks. From this point on, I'm dedicating time each week specifically to write and record music. There's a market to be tapped into with stock music, and I'd like to think that I've mastered the art of keyboard-driven background music. There's also a market for ringtones, and I think I can come up with twelve second tunes that would work wonders.

Sometimes you just get tired of having the sort of burning passion that other people can live off of. I want to live off of my passion too.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:52 pm

Conceptual suite Songs for Madi
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

User avatar
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here
Posts:1080
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 pm
Location:Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by quicksilver » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Still can't find my groove
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:28 pm

quicksilver wrote:Still can't find my groove
I know how you feel

I spend a lot of time agonizing over that sort of thing, and I just kind of give up trying to make my own sound and just focus on ideas.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
Posts:1503
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location:Kessel-Lo
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:07 am

different for sake of different
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:27 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:different for sake of different
Guilty guilty guilty guilty guilty :lol: :lol:
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts:2311
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Artisan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:59 pm

Can't get off my ass

User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
Posts:1503
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location:Kessel-Lo
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:46 am

still need that studio noise
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts:2311
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Artisan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:14 pm

It will work, trust me :D

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Artisan wrote:It will work, trust me :D
It makes a big difference
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts:2311
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Artisan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:18 pm

It most certainly does.

... potatoes

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Album coming sooner or later
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
Posts:1503
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location:Kessel-Lo
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:25 am

can't get past 95% done
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts:2728
Joined:Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location:Lawrence, KS
Contact:

Re: Describe your music in five words or less!

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:19 pm

Unquiet slumbers for the sleepers...
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Post Reply