The Leweit Music Thread

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
The Silver Lining
Animals

The Leweit Music Thread

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:22 am

Not sure if everyone knows, but my band name/stage name is "Leweit" -- Limburgish for "Noise". I got this name because I have difficulties being quiet when I'm told to, and it kind of stuck around since then.

As I had explained on PFO, the album I am working on is called Children of the Angel with a Broken Wing, and the genre fluctuates between pop, rock and singer-songwriter. I've tried to be ambitious with the instrumentation, to mix ocarina, e-bow guitar and harmonica into the traditional guitar-piano-bass-drums setup. In a few songs, I also have multiple vocal tracks, so that I'm essentially harmonizing with my own voice. I think I did a decent job at it.

Track listing:
1. Snow Child: very upbeat verse-verse-verse structured song, with a catchy piano motif. This song is very functional -- I wanted my first song to be something that will catch most people's attention, though I might have overdone it. Many people will consider it to sound way too happy.
2. Beautiful World: sounds relatively upbeat, but the lyrics are cynical. There's not too much special about the song, though it does build up nicely.
3. Picture Child: is a slow, not-so-upbeat song. It's fairly long and has ocarina in it, which I personally think sounds quite good. The chord scheme is pretty weird and the time changes from 4/4 to 6/4 and back again. If anything I do could be called "progressive", then this is probably it.
4. Word Came Out Today: an undisguised pop song, which is again pretty damn upbeat.
5. Ocean Child: also quite pop-ish. It's in 3/4 at about 180bpm, which puts quite some dynamics into the album I think. There's some harmonica in this one as well.
6. The Girl Practicing the Flute in the Apartment Downstairs: another pop song, but this is a very melancholic one. It's short, the chorus only occurs one time, and it has an ocarina intermezzo. It's very minimalist, which works very well for this song in my opinion.
7. Woeë Wach-se Nog Op (Alternative title: Noeë Al): the only song in my own native, non-official Limburgish language. The main focus of this song is the multi-tracked vocals, and the recurring question-and-answer phrases in the outro.
8. Pull the Lever: back to melancholy, this time with a slow 6/8 song that again features double-tracked vocals. It also has three guitar solos, the last of which is about 2 minutes long. Personally I think that guitar solo is the pinnacle of the album, although I do wish that it was a bit more impressive from a technical point of view. I'm just way out of practice, sadly.
9. The Mother: this is another piano ballad like "The Girl (...)", but twice as long, and with more emphasis on buildup. It starts with just some ambient sound and piano, builds up to a guitar solo, then ends the way it started.
10. Goodbye, Child: I wanted the album to end with a blast, so the last song is probably the heaviest "rock" song that's on the album, and also the most guitar-driven one.

Some of the songs are very functional to make the album work, because I care a lot about the dynamics throughout it. It starts with two songs that are fairly catchy without being cheesy, followed by a completely different song, which is a bit 'heavier' on the ears. Songs 4-6 are flat-out pop songs, which barely last 9 minutes together. Songs 8-10 are heavier songs again, and song 7 functions as a bridge between the sweet and the heavy parts. I think this strings the variation together quite well.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: The Leweit Music Thread

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:56 pm

When we will see a release?
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm guessing that it will be in early 2015. I had initially thought that I'd finish everything in summer this year, and although the recordings were finished, a lot still needs to be polished up.

Right now I am trying to figure out how I'll go about album artwork and whatnot.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:51 pm

You'll beat me with your next release, I'm not looking at anything until maybe Spring or Summer of 2015.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:38 pm

Sounds like a musicial journey of sorts. Is it meant to tell a story?
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:00 pm

quicksilver wrote:Sounds like a musicial journey of sorts. Is it meant to tell a story?
It is! The "angel with a broken wing" is meant to signify the negative sides of good things. The angel's children are more specific examples of that.
One of the catchphrases of the album (during The Girl (...)) is "Each silver lining has a cloud", which I think sums the concept up pretty well.

Additionally, it also sort of has a storyline throughout most of the songs, though not all songs relate to it. In a nutshell, it's about a guy who takes his girl along on a trip without a real destination, to escape the dull everyday life. Meanwhile, there's a storm going on and people think the world will be ending. The storm ends at some point, and the girl leaves the guy. So one side of the story has a happy ending, and the other doesn't. It's terribly cheesy, but goes well with the concept in my opinion.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Last edited by Artisan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks! Storms are nice, but I guess now the storm is inside the guy's hard. Oh hell, I need to stop being cheesy.

Since y'all are prog rockers, I'll let you hear Picture Child. Please don't mind the metronome at the start -- I didn't cut that out yet. Also please don't mind the fact that the D note on the ocarina is sliiiightly out of tune. It drives me crazy whenever I listen to it, but I promise I'll re-record it when I have the time.

Click here!

Please do leave constructive (and honest!) criticism.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:24 pm

I dig it, I really do. I even liked the the entirety of every ocarina section! I'm a big nerd and have an Ocarina of Time back home, but I've never bothered to learn how to play it myself. :lol:

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Oh wow, nice!

To be honest, Ocarina of Time is also how I learned about the ocarina. I love playing the game, and the instrument. :)

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Before The Beatles, I just taught myself Zelda and Sonic melodies on my little toy keyboard. That was sort of my musical beginnings and learning to play by ear. But I was never serious about it at that stage. Interesting start considering the kind of stuff I do know. :)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Last edited by Artisan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:43 am

Great job! I like it. It builds up in a way that reminds me of a song you may find in a movie. It keeps my interest. I thought I heard some 12 string acoustic in the background.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks! That's good to hear, as I thought it might drag on a bit too much.

There's no 12 string in it though. Perhaps it sounds like that because the rhythm track contains 2 acoustics and an electric guitar. I'm quite prone to overdoing things. :p

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm busy re-recording the vocals and guitar solo of Pull the Lever. The guitar solo has taken me about two weeks of practicing, but I think I have it nailed down now. I'll be posting this one here when it's done.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Here we go...

Pull the Lever

Let me know what you think!

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:42 am

The harmonies on that one are killer mate! :D

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks! I'm glad you like them. :P

What about the guitar solo?

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:52 pm

I liked that part too! At first, I thought the whole thing was going to have this 1950s doo-wop feel, and even though it still has something of that feel, you pushed it beyond that and made it sound unique. The whole overall sound completely cooked for me. :)

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:52 pm

The doo-wop feel was intended, though I didn't know that it's a 1950s thing. :) I thought the switch from 6/8 to 4/4 right before the third guitar solo would give it an interesting switch.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 am

Another song to listen to, perhaps:

The Girl Practicing the Flute in the Apartment Downstairs

That's the relatively minimalist song that I mentioned, and it has ocarina too.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Will the next song be "The Guy Practicing the Ocarina in the Apartment Next Door"? ;)

All jokes aside, I like it. And I caught the 'angel with the broken wing' reference in it too, being the keen observer that I am. I like how the song does tie into the album's theme without seeming forced; everything worked so naturally. And how could I not love some more ocarina? Keep 'em coming, mate. :)

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks. :D

Those are the only two songs with ocarina so far, though. It'll appear again on my next album, but with only 10 songs on this one, it seemed a bit forced to try going for another ocarina song.

I did play with the idea of using the ocarina in Pull The Lever's last guitar solo though, to give it a short section of reply-and-answer melodies between the guitar and the ocarina. I'm going to shelve that idea and reuse it later though.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:09 pm

I've finished recording everything. Woohoo!

Time to get all the other stuff worked out. Firstly, cover art. Secondly, getting everything mastered. Thirdly, getting it on Spotify. :)

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:39 pm

Oooh cool, you're going the Spotify route? I've looked into it a bit myself, but didn't get very far. You'll have to share your experiences getting that worked out, I might do that too some dya. :mrgreen:

Can't wait to hear what you've been working on all this time, mate. :)