The Leweit Music Thread

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
The Silver Lining
Animals

Re: The Leweit Music Thread

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 am

Well, apparently there are excuses. I was home from work so late I simply didn't get around to it anymore.

Today should be better, as my deadline is at 12PM and I'm going to make it comfortably (numbly).

Well, the weather is turning the world upside down
and the people say we'll never get out of this storm alive.
But I'm already dreaming of my girl in a gown.
I want to save her from this fate, pull her out of this masquerade.

-- 02. Beautiful World
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:15 pm

I've sent you the link to the new version!

Mẹ ơi
Can you tell me again what happened that night?
Why are you the icon for the torn?

-- 03. Picture Child

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Cool. That's a massive improvement, thanks. Now I can make the kick audible without blowing out my headphones/ears.

I'm really liking these lyric posts. I didn't realize the line was "icon for the torn", I thought it was something in Limburgish (and I'm realizing that the opposite is true about what I thought to be "not quite home" right after the big crescendo in that song). There are still a few lines I'm having trouble understanding though (Pull The Lever: "cover the leaps in your somewhat soul"?). I did get melodancholy, though, nice portmanteau. I know you said you didn't want to post translations for it, but I am curious what just the phrase "Noee Al" means, as well as the translations in Picture Child (once again I thought they were English or just phonetic for the longest time - didn't occur to me that a multilingual writer would write more than one song in another language until today). Mẹ ơi comes up in Google Translate as Vietnamese for "Mommy".

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:11 am

Indeed, "Mẹ ơi" is mommy.

Picture Child is about "the girl in the picture". If that phrase sounds too vague, Google it and you'll immediately know who I mean. Disclaimer: The picture in question is quite bloody, so if you're particularly fainthearted I would advise against it. Long story short: during the war in Vietnam, she was around 5 years old when she was struck by a napalm bomb attack. A picture was taken of her running down the street with arms spread wide and a lot of her skin missing, and this picture became world famous overnight. I'm not sure if she's as famous in the USA, but in Belgium I'm pretty sure everyone has seen this picture at some point in their lives.

The whole song is written from that girl/woman's perspective, except for "Mẹ ơi / Can you tell me again what happened that night? / Why are you the icon for the torn?" which is from the perspective of one of her children.
When I first wrote it, I was hoping my female cousin would sing this song, with me only singing that one line. This would have made the meaning much clearer and straightforward. I like lyrics that leave some room for interpretation though, so maybe the end result isn't all that bad.

A few more lyrics that you asked about:
The line after the crescendo is "Nóng quá", which is Vietnamese for "too hot".
The line in Pull the Lever is "Follow their lead, sing your song once more.
"Noeë al" literally means "Now already".

Word came out today
The band got back together
Their new song's called "Pull the Lever"
It doesn't happen everyday.

-- 04. Word Came out Today

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Awesome, thanks. I can probably have all the individual tracks completely mastered by the end of the day. Then it's just playing through it a number of times and making sure it's as cohesive as possible.

The more I learn about this album the better and more real it becomes. And I loved it to begin with! Is the character in the second verse of Beautiful World the same as the Picture Child or different?

Completely respect your privacy on Woee Wach-se Nog Op, but it does make me wonder what I'm missing there! :lol: Maybe all I really need to know is just those three lines. From what I can gather it's about facing up to either fears, challenges, or just things that you've been trying to avoid. The only way to get things done is to get them done. I could be totally off, but that's what I get out of these three lines. Google Translate doesn't have a Limburgish translator and it thinks that "Noeë Al" in Dutch is "Noeë Al" in English.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Indeed, the second girl in Beautiful World is the same person as the Picture Child. I thought it would be a nice way to tie songs together.

For Woeë wach-se nog op, I'll post the translated lyrics sometime, don't worry. It's more of an introspective song though, so there are no real story elements that you are missing there.

I dreamt that I knelt for The Cause of Our Joy
and I begged for only one blessing.
But the mother said "No, forget it, son.
You'll never have Ocean's child."

-- 05. Ocean Child

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:33 pm

Now that this album is getting closer to being finished, I feel like I might start recording more music soon.

The working title for the new album is Wonderlust, and some of the ideas have already been posted in this thread. I keep changing my mind about everything though.

I keep falling in love with the children of the angel with a broken wing.
-- 06. The Girl Practicing the Flute in the Apartment Downstairs

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:16 am

I know I said I'd have it done by Sunday, but I'll need a little bit more time. My computer's hard drive is almost completely full, and in order to get the best results, I need to save the entire album as a single WAV file. a 46 minute WAV file is ridiculously huge (I think around 3GB). I did not think to bring my external hard drives because I'm a dummy.

So I can complete 99.9% of the mastering - it's just that last step (which should not take more than 15 minutes) can't be done at the moment*. One hard drive is almost totally full and the other was giving me a lot of trouble previously; I hope that's cleared up (cause I can't afford another one right now). But I'm closer to completing this now than I ever was. IT'S HAPPENING! (cue another gif from Alec with some caption containing the word "hype") (cue a gif from Alec with a caption with a synonym for "hype" in an attempt to spite me) (cue a picture of a pizza from Alec trying to thwart my attempts to thwart him) (cue me getting kicked)

*(EDIT) Let me clarify: I can put all the files in sequence and listen to it as I normally would - I just can't save that file, and to complete the mastering I would need to. EDIT 2: I need to make two files. I forgot I'm adding in the studio noise.

Completely unrelated - by accident I discovered that playing Woee Wach-se Nog Op at 1.5x speed turns it into a really fun country dance number.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:52 am

Ask and you shall receive.

"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:19 am

Damn, this are two awesome posts back to back. I wish I could have pizza for breakfast right now.

No pressure, Artisan. After you get it rendered, we'll still have to figure out how/where to upload it.

And Alec, not sure if my agent has already discussed this with you, but you're now the album's marketing campaign manager. You're doing this pro bono and are dedicating all your resources to it. No pressure on you either -- I just thought you should know.

Dink-se de-se dich sterker gijs veule
es-se dich mieër tied gèèfs om dich te bedinke?
(Do you think you'll feel stronger
if you give yourself more time to change your mind?)

-- 07. Woeë wach-se nog op

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Bahahahhhahahhhhhahaahahah :lol:

Hey! I said a PICTURE of pizza, not a gif! :lol:

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 pm

By complete accident I happened upon a really neat transition between Snow Child and Beautiful World, however I'm not sure if it's what you want. It's cool to hear but I'm not sure if it fits on the album. I'm sending you a PM with a soundcloud link.

EDIT: Same thing happened with Word Came Out Today and Ocean Child.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:52 am

I don't know if you want me to me a marketing manager. I brought in crazy views to the last project I built a hype campaign for, and that blew right up in my face. Hopefully we've got a stronger project here with CABW, which I suspect. :lol:

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:07 am

FIRST PRESS CONFERENCE FOR LEE WHITE'S DEBUT ALBUM

Press: Mr. Taylor, as the marketing campaign manager, you've generated intense amounts of hype. Are you sure that Lee can deliver?

Me: Absolutely, I've heard snippets of it throughout its brief recording history and I have utmost confidence this will be a great project.

Press: Do you have a release date in mind?

Me: ...

Press: Mr. Taylor, do you care to answer our previous question?

Me: ...

Me: ...I'm not drunk enough for this.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 am

Serious part of this post:

I really like those transitions, but indeed I think they might not be for this album. It fits so perfectly it's almost uncanny, and I wonder if this really makes the music sound good. I'd rather go with a small pause between tracks that don't actually segue into one another.

Unserious part of this post:

I laughed harder than what's acceptable at work. I should stop visiting this forum at work.

But, I just hope "I'm not drunk enough for this." was your actual answer to the journalist, not your comment towards me about managing my campaign.

I do have to admit I'm scared you'll generate too much hype. At the same time, I believe I hired you to do exactly that. Who needs a good product when he can just hype it up instead? Heineken, Farcry 4 and all of Kanye West's music are more than enough evidence that Roger Waters was wrong. All that matters is not whether the end product moves you or not; it's whether the end product sells or not!

Holy shit, this much cynicism and it's 8:00AM. It must be time for weekend.

Sappy part of this post:

(It’s said and done)
Thrushes are speaking of morning dew.
(It is time)
Follow their lead, sing your song once more.

-- 08. Pull the Lever

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:15 am

Cynicism is a 24/7 job for me, there's never a time too early in the day for me to ruin other peoples' optimistic outlook on life!

And yes, the drunk line was "in character". Overhype is bad thing for sure, but I won't do that. However, I am trying to up my reaction gif game, and figured the best way to take that next step was to just make a gif out of myself and become the meme.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:39 am

The problem is that you're going too fast. If every post improves only marginally, you can keep improving forever. But if you make your best possible post already today, how will you live up to everyone's expectations tomorrow? If the sky is the limit, how do you progress once you've reached the sky?

Mother, do you have a broken wing?
-- 09. Mother

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:However, I am trying to up my reaction gif game, and figured the best way to take that next step was to just make a gif out of myself and become the meme.
MAXIMUM DANKNESS LEVEL ACHIEVED
The Silver Lining wrote:I really like those transitions, but indeed I think they might not be for this album. It fits so perfectly it's almost uncanny, and I wonder if this really makes the music sound good. I'd rather go with a small pause between tracks that don't actually segue into one another.
Like I said, those were both completely by accident. I loaded up all ten tracks and dragged them toward the end of the previous one and they both just *happened* to land exactly there.

I will say that Snow Child into Beautiful World sounds a lot better when you listen to the entire song compared to just a snippet. I heard a big difference, which is weird because in theory it shouldn't have made a difference at all.

If you listen to the tracks out of order, the fades might seem to cut off abruptly. However, I didn't "obscure" any bit of the song; the amount of overlap where the song with the fade actually still has audible music is less than one second, so you wouldn't be missing a ton.

What I'll do, when I master the album, is do all ten tracks with gaps in between, and add four "bonus" tracks - both pairs of these connected, and you can decide from there. I actually did clear up enough space on my hard drive that I can master two files with both songs in a row and post those up on Soundcloud if you want to hear how the entire songs flow together (in my opinion, it does make a big difference). But I'd be happy to master 14 tracks and send them all to you. (EDIT: Screw it, I'm doing it anyway - check your inbox for the two "complete" pairs)

Interesting to see that you're feeling the same way about these transitions as me. They sound really great, but I really don't know if they suit the album. :lol:

Also, when you listen to the song pairings, listen to the mastering. That's indicative of the sound I'm going for. If you hear anything you want changed, let me know, especially in regards to the EQ (tell me if it sounds shrill). Pay attention to the distinction of the cymbals and harmonica in Ocean Child. SoundCloud gets rid of a lot of data in order to make the file size smaller, so it will obviously sound better, and I have not yet matched volume levels and EQ preferences (that's the extensive comparison process I mentioned before). But this is what the album is going to sound like unless you want me to make any changes. And again don't worry about hurting my feelings or anything - making a great album sound as good as it possibly can is way more important than being offended because my precious hours of work that I sank into this project have just been insulted boo hoo hoo.

I was just listening to Snow Child into Beautiful World and there is a world (no pun int- A BEAUTIFUL ONE)of difference between listening to the entire song and listening to the last five seconds. Holy crap. Maybe we can segue them together for the album, but release the unchanged tracks as singles? Snow Child and Word Came Out Today would have been my first picks for singles anyway...
Last edited by Artisan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Thing is, I'd like to have just one version of each song. My music will probably only be released on Spotify, Soundcloud and something like Bandcamp, and I don't want to have to put "single version" duplicates of my songs there. So, in the end, I think I'll prefer any segue that makes the song work by itself as well.

I'm going to listen to these masterings today, by the way. Cycling's on right now. :)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:13 pm

Definitely. Bonus tracks of the songs with ~2 of silence at the end - otherwise identical - would be pointless. But I will master them individually and then you can choose from there.
Last edited by Artisan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:43 pm

Vinyl will probably not happen, simply because I don't want to go through all the hassle. In fact, I don't even give concerts at all, so I have absolutely no way to advertise my music. It'd be a bit silly to get 50 or 100 copies of this album pressed, only to be able to sell 10 at most.

In case I do want it on vinyl (to add some pride to my personal collection, for instance), I will let you know. I'm glad you made me aware of this.

The workers have gathered on the Rue de la Loi,
looking for someone to blame.

-- 10. Goodbye, Child

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Last edited by Artisan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:21 pm

I just checked one of my LPs. Turns (hah) out it's from Warner Bros. Woohoo!

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:37 pm

Last edited by Artisan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:54 pm

I generally avoid buying those Back to Black ones, because I hate the song Back to Black by Amy Whinehouse.

I sincerely refrain from apologizing for talking ill of the dead.