The Leweit Music Thread

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
Artisan
The Final Cut

Re: The Leweit Music Thread

Post by Artisan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Last edited by Artisan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 am

I have listened to the songs you sent me yesterday, and I have to say: when you listen to the songs as a whole, there's nothing uncanny about those "perfect" segues. It sounds really good, in fact.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:32 am

The Silver Lining wrote:There's nothing uncanny about those "perfect" segues. It sounds really good, in fact.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm sorry, your royal dankness, but I'm not sure what that gif is supposed to mean!

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:19 am

The Silver Lining wrote:I have listened to the songs you sent me yesterday, and I have to say: when you listen to the songs as a whole, there's nothing uncanny about those "perfect" segues. It sounds really good, in fact.
I must have missed this. Does this mean you prefer the sudden transitions, or you prefer the individual songs with complete fades? Like I said, I will do both, but I'm not sure what to make of this post (seeing "nothing uncanny" and "perfect" in quotes reads a little bit sarcastic, and I think you may have used "uncanny" wrong, but I can't tell).

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:22 am

Oh, yeah, I should avoid using quotes with such words. It really was not intended as sarcastic -- I used the quotes because we were calling them perfect segues in earlier posts. "Perfect segue" is now the official name for that technique, as far as this thread goes.

In my opinion, you can use them. This will make them sound a tad strange when listened to individually, but I don't even think it will be very noticeable.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Yes. If you play them in random order, it will sound a little bit strange. But try playing just about any Floyd album in random order. At any rate, this album in random order will sound more consistent than Dark Side in random order. I like the segues as they really tie the narrative together.

You missed your lyrics for this post!

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Let's go for it then. There are quite a lot of songs with abrupt endings anyway.

To increase the hype around this album, I'll also start including some side-information with whatever songs I talk about.

The song Snow Child is not just about the desire to run away with a girl. Of equal importance, but not as obviously phrased: it's a requiem for the city where I grew up. Maaseik (as it's called) has been struggling with keeping its local economy & tourism going, and this is partly caused by some weird political decisions. They built a shopping mall on a very strange location with a strange layout, and with leasing prices that are way too high for any stores (other than big chains) to be able to afford. Even more importantly, they decided to close the middle & high schools that were located in the city center and replaced them with a huge campus outside the city center. The result is that, the city center is now completely dead, compared to how lively it used to be with up to two thousand kids and adolescents hanging out there after school. So, through time, the city is slowly dying, and I'm pretty sure that there will be no improvement in the near future.

One indication that the song is about this particular city, is the fact that the lyrics mention the N78. That's the name of the road you have to take in order to get anywhere from Maaseik. It's the one big road away from Maaseik, basically.

Night is falling in this town,
but the sun is coming up for you.

-- 01. Snow Child

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Let's a-send this hype train into full gear.

Arno, you'd better finish your write-ups on each of these songs soon, unless you want to delay the release.

Make of this what you will.

;)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:40 pm

Let me say this in the most loving way possible:

THIS BASTARD IS MASTERED!

Well, Children Of The Angel With The Perfect Segues, anyway. I still have to go in and do the individual tracks for singles, YouTube videos, and all the other stuff, where the songs aren't playing continuously with no breaks. But that shouldn't take more than two hours and I have nothing else to do.

Arno, expect the most wonderful PM to be arriving shortly...

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:50 pm

And here comes the children of the angel without any segues. Feel free to mix and match them as you see fit.

If there's anything you want me to redo, let me know.

EDIT: Oh, one last thing I forgot...

PLAY 'EM LOUD!!!

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Holy shit yes!!! Tomorrow I'm going to listen to everything on every set of speakers I own. I'm also getting in touch with the guy who might make cover art for it, but I'll have to see how that issue can be tackled.

I'm experiencing a hype overload. I shouldn't have checked this forum right before bed.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:13 am

Sorry for keeping you up. I was just really proud of actually, ya know, doing something. For the first time in my life.

In case the person who said they would do the artwork has made less progress than I did over the first year of my work at this, I have three covers we can use as at least temporary or mock-up artwork. Nothing earth-shattering, in fact, the simplest one is my favorite. Looks like the white album, only significantly less boring.

Anyway. Enjoy the masters. Also I just noticed that the intro to Noee Al might be a bit too quiet. That's not going to be a tremendous problem but I'm mad at myself for not catching it earlier.

EDIT: All right, use those as reference for the transitions between songs. The intro to Noeë Al is too quiet, the second crescendo in Goodbye Child sounds wimpy, and something really weird happened to the bass in Mother, I have no clue what. I want to fix those and I'll do that tomorrow.

EDIT 2: Meh, screw tomorrow and sleep. I'm enjoying SunShade Reigns right now but after this I'm going to fix those songs.
Last edited by Artisan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:04 am

Just a heads up... I am not doing two versions of each song on the second half of the album. There's only one song with any overlap at all (Goodbye Child), and it's barely audible. Also, because of the way I set this up, I would need to "remaster" those three songs twice and do them exactly the same, which wouldn't be easy; it's just not worth it when there's only one difference and it's almost imperceptible (and plus, that transition sounds great anyway).

I'm going to send you the last five tracks again; use those. I will mark the files with (NEW) at the end of their names. Feel free to mix and match from the first five tracks between the segue and non-segue versions, but use the (NEW) ones for "side two", because they fix the few things I missed the first time around. The timing of the intro for track 6 for all three versions (original segue, original non-segue, new one) is virtually identical - it's impossible to get it exactly because the timing is slightly off between the three - but I've made certain that the space between the "sides" is the right length. Also, I accidentally forgot to cut off the silence at the end of Goodbye Child; when I did the studio noise track, it went about five or six seconds longer than the album itself (I guessed the length and was very close); the new file removes the long silence.

Listen to the first five tracks and tell me which versions you'd prefer to have on the album. There's the pairing of Snow Child and Beautiful World and the pairing of Word Came Out Today and Ocean Child, but also pay attention to the time between Beautiful World and Picture Child; it's shorter on the segue version, and personally I prefer it. If you decide that you want to use the non-segue transition after Snow Child but you want to keep the shorter transition for Picture Child, I will have to do one last mastering of the first half and then it will be done; I just now realized that. It's all up to you. I have nothing to do tomorrow, so it won't be a problem if you want me to do that. I want this to sound the best that it possibly can!

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Re-reading my previous post I don't appear to have made it particularly clear...

Listen to the sequence of the first five tracks from both the segue and non-segue folders, and tell me which you prefer; after that, I'll do a final mastering to make sure it's as tight as it can be. The second half of the album is just about set in stone, unless you want anything changed.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:00 pm

Listening now with my main speakers in the living room. I've queued the segues version of side 1 with the second version of side 2. So far it sounds really good, including the segue between Snow Child and Beautiful World. I'm really in favor of keeping them like this, but I'll also have to give the other version another spin.

Edit: I have to say, I'm not as much a fan of the segue between Word Came out Today and Ocean Child. That really does sound abrupt. I think the main difference is that Snow Child has a much longer fade-out. In Word Came out Today, the fade-out is much shorter, which is perhaps why it really needs every split second it can get. Does that make sense? It probably doesn't really...

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:21 pm

No, I get what you mean. Give 'em a few more listens and let me know which versions you prefer (Snow Child -> Beautiful World, Beautiful World -> Picture Child, Word Came Out Today -> Ocean Child) and I'll set about a final master for side one. I know there's a pretty big time zone difference, but I'd love to be able to get it done before you go to sleep tonight (hope I don't keep you up though!)

Are you able to hear a difference in the mastered versions versus the previous mixes?

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Ok, I'll try to do that. Today I have spent five hours watching a cycling race (I cannot possibly miss the Tour of Flanders, even if my own album is waiting to be released) and three hours cooking, so I haven't had much time. I'll try to listen to specific segues after dinner so that I can get some more input ready before I go to sleep.

In general, I did notice an improvement. Certain crescendos sounded way more lively, and I think you have done something about the kick drum here and there too -- it is more audible than I remember it being. Lastly, I did not need to turn my speakers up to 11 in order to hear the music at a somewhat acceptable volume, so I think you have boosted volume levels here and there too. I know you dislike that, but I'm glad about the outcome.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:34 pm

I dislike it when the album hurts your ears at 50% volume. The levels on here are fine. My only problem is that you need to turn it up really loud in order for it to sound truly great. This isn't a problem with my mastering, per se; it's a problem with other masterings.

Also, I just realized that I will need to master the non-segue versions of side two anyway, because I forgot an am stupid. So basically, let me know which transitions on side two you like (for the album itself) and then I'll send you two more complete masters. Luckily, my stupidity disappeared for a moment and I realized a simple way to duplicate the effects I did after the first take. I should have plenty of time to master tomorrow, as well - but if you can give me a list of the segues vs. non-segues that you want, the whole thing will be done and in your inbox before tomorrow morning. Not rushing you, do what you want and need to do with your own life, but when you get the chance let me know.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 am

I'm getting my belt buckle loosened boys, this is going to achieve Cr1TiKaL levels of hype.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:48 am

I'm sorry, I did not manage to spend much time on it anymore yesterday. Luckily I can listen to music at work though, so I'll be doing that for sure.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Do your best to get the "final" track list for the masters sent before you go to sleep tonight and I'll have the whole thing done by the time you get up tomorrow.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 am

I've combined the first Side 1 (with segues) you sent with the second (NEW) Side 2 you sent, and I like all segues other than the one between Word Came out Today & Ocean Child. That one should be completely separated, in my opinion.

I'm not sure if I've understood you correctly though. Is this all input you still need from me? I did want to tell you that I've noticed that Woeë wach-se nog op starts off a bit quietly indeed, but that works well. The song is supposed to be quite dynamic, so this is good. Additionally, it comes right after The Girl (...) which ends quietly, so the quiet sound is placed quite perfectly.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:31 pm

I was going to fix the Noee Al intro anyway. That's all I needed from you. No guarantee I'll be able to get this done in a timely manner, yesterday was my least busy day until next weekend, but I might be able to squeeze it in.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:33 pm

That's okay. Cover art is still incoming, and I have no idea when that will be done.