The Leweit Music Thread

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
Artisan
The Final Cut

Re: The Leweit Music Thread

Post by Artisan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:47 pm

This is what I've been using as a temporary cover. I tried to make it simple and bold, but I'm no Storm Thorgerson. I've been listening to music about robots so that kind of crept into the design.

http://i.imgur.com/Xp7ZQVv.jpg

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:52 am

All right... go ahead and delete everything I sent you before today, including the "NEW" side 2. Because I screwed up previously (two separate files, should have added breathing room at the beginning just in case, little things like that), I had to do it again; I think I got better results this time around anyway, though. Stuff is saving as I type this, so check your inbox and the completed master will be waiting. The segue one is for the eventual CD release, Bandcamp, iTunes, whatever, and the individual ones are to put up on YouTube (if you want to) and any other place that needs to load in between songs, so that the transitions are smoother. This time, I didn't bother to make them transition into the next song well or correctly; nobody is going to hear them in that way unless they (illegally) download them off YouTube (provided you decide to upload them), in which case they deserve the inconvenience. I just made it so that the start and the end of each track are in the boundary and that's it.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Will be listening again tomorrow at work, hopefully. In between all the meetings people plan with me, I really should find some time.

That album cover is pretty neat, by the way. If my friend keeps ditching me, I'm actually fond of using this one.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:36 pm

I can try to touch it up so it's not as jagged. I used the engrave function which actually made it look embossed for some reason, but the edges of the letters are really sharp. Perhaps I can smooth that out. That shimmery quality to the text actually came about because the original image was of moderately poor quality - otherwise it would have just had a shadow around it. Ah, I love doing things wrong and having them turn out better than right.

When you listen to the mastered album, pay close attention to the drums in the chorus of Ocean Child. I didn't even realize that there were cymbals going on there until you sent me the two split files; if you do decide to put this on vinyl, I want to remix the whole album because I'm sure there's a few more things like that which can be improved. Still, you did a very good job mixing. I didn't need to do a ton of extra work to get them to sound good.

For the back insert of the CD and the gatefold of the LP, we'll have to have a shot of Lee White's silhouette, Telecaster slung over his shoulder, standing against the sunset on the edge of the N78 as he leads us into a whole new world... :lol:

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:10 am

Artisan wrote:check your inbox and the completed master will be waiting
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:57 am

Artisan wrote:I can try to touch it up so it's not as jagged. I used the engrave function which actually made it look embossed for some reason, but the edges of the letters are really sharp. Perhaps I can smooth that out. That shimmery quality to the text actually came about because the original image was of moderately poor quality - otherwise it would have just had a shadow around it. Ah, I love doing things wrong and having them turn out better than right.

When you listen to the mastered album, pay close attention to the drums in the chorus of Ocean Child. I didn't even realize that there were cymbals going on there until you sent me the two split files; if you do decide to put this on vinyl, I want to remix the whole album because I'm sure there's a few more things like that which can be improved. Still, you did a very good job mixing. I didn't need to do a ton of extra work to get them to sound good.

For the back insert of the CD and the gatefold of the LP, we'll have to have a shot of Lee White's silhouette, Telecaster slung over his shoulder, standing against the sunset on the edge of the N78 as he leads us into a whole new world... :lol:
The N78 does not make for very great scenery. :lol:
https://www.google.be/maps/@51.0865166, ... 312!8i6656
But at least this picture will make me feel like I'm Bruce Springsteen. Now I just need to come up with a good name for my Telecaster. I'm sad he already took "the Naked Lady", because that's probably the best possible name there is.

Gonna be listening today. \o/

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Bahahaha. Same thing happened to me - my town sucks so much that the people who built it just built it on top of a major highway, so anyone who needs to take that highway has to drive through the town to get where they need to go. And the town is so dead and everyone walks in the middle of the street that it takes up to 30 minutes to get maybe three miles. "We're depressed and pissed off, and we want to make a place where depressed and pissed off people can congregate, and depress and piss off those who aren't depressed and pissed off."

I named my telecasters "the sunburst Tele" and "the butterscotch Tele". I also have "the black Strat" (not Gilmour's, although I bought it because of him), "the SG", and "the Jazzmaster". I'm so creative.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 pm

A major highway? You have major highways?! Some person who designed Limburg's roads could learn a lot from whatever town it is you live in.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Well, it's not really a "major" highway, but it connects a number of towns together. The biggest suburban road, anyway.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:33 pm

Got me watching for this album's release like

10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:53 pm

You can only blame the delay on Arno now. :lol:

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:12 am

I'm setting April 30th as release date. That's the day I'll put it on Spotify, even if there's no album cover ready.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:24 pm

I fixed the backup album cover so that it didn't have so much pixelization.

PNG - http://i.imgur.com/8ZtrSSq.png
JPG - http://i.imgur.com/Sfj85bh.jpg

JPG is more likely to degrade, not the most reliable format, however some programs don't read PNGs for some reason.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 am

I'm sorry for giving so little feedback, but work is simply killing me right now.

In general though, it sounds good. The space between WCoT and Ocean Child is a great improvement, and other than that the spaces are all good the way they are.

The next days, I'd really like to spend some time listening to the original version vs the mastered version. I'm not great at telling the difference, but I'd really like to get a basic understanding of what you've done. :)

Either way, thanks a lot for your help -- this is really priceless to me, and I really appreciate it. I feel like the music is in a good shape to be released now, and I'm even feeling motivated to start working on some new material again.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:12 pm

The differences are not earth-shatteringly dramatic. However, these are the places where they are the most noticeable:

- Picture Child: the crescendo right after the ocarina solo, and the way the drums pump up leading into it.
- Ocean Child: the clarity in the cymbal hits during the chorus/harmonica bits. I didn't even realize there were cymbal hits until I heard the isolated drum track, so compare the before and after and focus on the cymbals.
- Goodbye Child: the very first snare hit should feel much more powerful, and the build-up from the quieter "verses" to the more powerful "choruses" (for lack of a better word) should be much more powerful.

Those are the three biggest; elsewhere, just listen for clarity in the drums (especially on the snare and cymbals), acoustic guitars, and kick drum/bass. Without a full-on remix, it's impossible to highlight them exactly the way I wanted (since mastering is working from two tracks instead of potentially 50), but as far as just straight mastering, I don't think it can sound significantly better than this.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:50 pm

That's really nice -- all three are things I had noticed myself, and I'm really thrilled about the improvement.

In general, I also feel like the album sounds a bit better when listening to poor quality speakers. Is that a correct observation, or is there placebo effect at work here? :p

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:04 pm

I did numerous EQ tests on every set of speakers and came to the conclusion that this EQ sounded best. It does sound a little bit shrill on terrible earbuds, but once again, 95% of commercially released music sounds at least twice as shrill, if not more, and it's designed to be listened to on said crappy earbuds. I could go in and intentionally do a hack-job mastering to show you what you might have gotten if you'd sent it off to some random engineer with no instructions. The thing with bloated/compressed masterings is that, if you listen for only like two or three minutes, it can sound exciting, but to listen to an entire album it just becomes white noise because there's no variation.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Just FYI, I've started setting up my account with CDBaby, so that I can publish this album to Spotify and iTunes. I'm not sure if I can also submit it to Bandcamp independently then, but that's something I'll be checking in the next couple of days.

Soon Lee White will be an actual artist with an actual album. Woohoo!

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:41 pm

any update on the artwork or will you just be using the placeholder artwork?

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Placeholder artwork it is.

It's actually not even that bad. The album's title is quite a peculiar one, so it's nice to have an album cover that shows nothing but the title. Makes it catch the eye even more.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:49 pm

I still kind of like the idea of a gatefold with the troubadour singer wandering down the highway at sunset. But I think that's just because my OCD requires an artist image which matches their music that isn't the same as their album cover for my folders. my idea could well be the cheesiest thing this side of cheese.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:39 am

I actually went on a whim, and contacted the company that developed the game "Little Inferno". The concept of the epic snow storm in this album was actually borrowed from that game, and I have now asked them whether I can use a screenshot from the game as album art.

It's probably too good to be true, but you can never know, right?

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Holy shit. It took them a whole seven hours to respond, and they absolutely have no problem with it. They just told me I need to include the following:

Image from the game Little Inferno used with permission from Tomorrow Corporation. ©2012 Tomorrow Corporation

So there's that. Holy crap. It's time to get to work with this!

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Do you like the text that I used from my cover? If you send me your screenshot album cover in 1000x1000 I can stick the title that I had over it.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Sorry, I meant to answer earlier. I think the font of that album cover wouldn't fit well with this picture, so I'll try to get a different caption on it. That is, if I manage to before the 30th of April.