The Leweit Music Thread

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: The Leweit Music Thread

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 am

The Silver Lining wrote:30th of April.

"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon May 01, 2017 6:34 pm

I can't wait for April 30th. I'm so excited to see everyone's reaction!

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed May 03, 2017 6:56 am

I'm sorry for the delay guys, but it was really important to me to get this cover art done. We've managed, and now I just have to double-check everything again before releasingg.

ALEC, RELEASE THE HYPE
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed May 03, 2017 1:53 pm

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu May 04, 2017 9:34 am

That's what I'm talking about!

The album is currently in the "approval" process. I'm currently listening to all the uploaded files to make sure they have no glitches or manual mistakes, and then we'll be good to go!

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu May 04, 2017 5:59 pm

clip from film with captions not from film to make film clip relevant to current situation

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri May 05, 2017 2:11 am

The Silver Lining wrote:The album is currently in the "approval" process.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri May 05, 2017 8:47 am

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri May 05, 2017 12:51 pm

In a tragic turn of events, marketing director Alec Taylor was unable to listen to the completed album as his hype cannon overloaded and exploded. We ask that his privacy be respected while he wakes up, reads this, and hops on a train over here to beat me up.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri May 05, 2017 6:14 pm

I have given this a full listen once on Spotify, and my first impressions are very good so far. But I want to really sit down and give this the in-depth listening session it deserves, and maybe I'll write up a proper review for it.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 pm

I've given the album a few listens now, and here's some of my thoughts on it.

1. It's easy to overhype a project to the point where it will never meet expectations. That's why Half Life 3 or Sonic Adventure 3 will never see the light of day. But CABW met those expectations perfectly.

2. The overall sound of the album is very diverse, despite the same instruments being used from track to track (more or less, these are generalizations I'm working with). It blends perfectly between soft rock with a tinge of jazz, to some more heavy-hitting stuff (like "Beautiful World"). It's got the right mix between a classic sound and a modern sound, very well done indeed.

3. I couldn't help but feel like the guitar work was very George Harrison-esque. Not a bad thing at all. Just something my ears picked up on, don't know if it was intentional or not.

4. The piano work is beautiful, especially when it's given the time to shine during solo sections. I'm always a sucker for good piano-driven music.

5. While on the subject of instruments and solos, dat ocarina tho. That pretty much set your material apart from every other rock act I can think of. Maybe some acts would throw one in (not that I've heard) just for the sake of being eccentric, but your use of it is so natural and gives these songs a completely unique sound. Whatever you do in the future, don't ditch that ocarina!

6. I've blabbered on about instruments enough, so let's talk vocals. You said you used a bit of auto-tune here and there, but it wasn't really that noticeable. Sounds like you hit the pitch just fine throughout the album. Especially on the vocal harmonies. For being one person doing all of that work, that's impressive. Seriously. It still sounds like multiple people, and it's easy to sound like a demon choir when layering the same voice over itself.

7. The lyrics I'm sure are the real focus here, and they really ensnared me. They never felt clumsy or forced. Every line served its purpose in the overall story, and it felt like a genuine narrative. I could imagine in my mind's eye the scenes you sang about, with great detail too. This could seriously be a movie with how good it builds its world up.

I wanted to do something more in-depth and go track-by-track, but I honestly don't have a lot of free time these days and wanted to share with you my thoughts as soon as I could. I've given it a few listens, and once I get paid this Friday, I plan on purchasing it. On the subject of CDBaby, how far in the distribution process does it go? Will it just be available there, or will it eventually pop up on iTunes or be available for physical release? I'm not picky about it, because I'll still just buy it from CDBaby, but I'm curious about how that service works.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:27 am

This is still one of the best album's I've ever heard. I feel privileged to have had the honor of not letting it be sonically ruined. And it confirmed that I want to pursue this career.

Does CDBaby actually have a process for manufacturing and distributing CDs? I'd love to have at least one. You still to rip off Ray Davies' Americana album cover for the gatefold, though! :P Stand on the median strip at sunset and take a picture looking down the road, silhouetted against the sun... Telecaster pointing the way to an unknown future...... all seems pretty pretentious when I put it that way...

For what it's worth, I do know somebody who designs and prints his own CD insert/disc face designs for fun - he's mentioned that he'd be open to a printing service, I could try contacting him about it. They would be homemade CD-Rs, not professionally pressed, but it wouldn't be a ton of money and it would look very presentable. We'd just need empty jewel cases to put the stuff in and we'd be good to go.

If you wanted to include lyrics, track notes, translations, pictures, anything like that - hell, I'd even write a mini-essay about the album if you wanted - I've been dabbling a bit in graphic design and could try to get something done for it. This album is too good to not occupy an honorable place on my shelf in between the Walkabouts and White Stripes (technically it would be after the Waterboys, but I have too many of those to actually fit on the shelf now and they're in a box on the other side of the room).

I've made up a "deluxe edition" with nine extra songs, four of which are of Ocean Child. Listening to those songs with the full fades, instead of the 18-milliseconds-short-of-a-full-fade versions we're so accustomed to, is just delightful. I've got a two hour car ride tomorrow, I think I'll burn a CD and show off my mastering capabilities to someone who will probably say it's not loud enough. Meh, I like my ears.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:57 am

Last edited by Artisan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:49 pm

I keep coming back to this album. I don't know how you did it but this thing still sounds fresh every time I listen to it.

I've been knocking around the idea of starting my own record label - more a CD distribution catalog than an actual label, but still. Would be honored if this was the first release. Wondering, do you have any other recordings to use as B-sides for the single? I'm pretty sure we could score a #1 with Snow Child, or maybe Word Came Out Today! :lol:

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:16 am

Damn, that isn't such a bad idea. I could even write + record a new song to get the hype going. I also keep feeling an urge to work on an EP, so maybe that's in the pipeline too.

My only issue is that I already distribute my music digitally via CDBaby. Do you have any idea if it would be a breach if I also distributed it via you?

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:12 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:Do you have any idea if it would be a breach if I also distributed it via you?
According to their website, it appears that you can do whatever you want with your music. That's with CD Baby Pro however, although I'm sure it's universal across all of their platforms(?) or whatever. It's nice that they don't try to play keep-away with your own shit like most other labels do. :lol:

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Man, this would be pretty neat.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:38 pm

I've heard that CD Baby can be very two-faced on the issue. That said, as long as you didn't fork over the ownership of the music, and only distribution rights, I don't think it will be a significant problem. And the "label" thing is just an idea I've had kicking around for a few years. I'd need to do tons of research and it would more than likely be quite costly to go about.

At the same time, having a shelf of professionally printed CDs for my own stuff and my friends' stuff would be really, really cool. :)

So yes, if you have any other songs (by chance is there a re-recorded version of Leysin? I've always loved that one) we can make a single for Snow Child and I'm sure in three years once I get this running we can sell billions!

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:32 pm

Damn, Leysin... Which version do you have? I re-recorded it around 5 years ago and that version was quite satisfying to me. It paled in comparison to the other, more "sophisticated" songs though.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:26 am

This one, from nine years ago. Fabulous little tune. I think it could benefit from a higher-quality recording, on the level of CABW, with a full arrangement (you could do some gorgeous harmony vocals on the "hmm, memories" bridge bit). I'd love to hear the re-recorded one, that might be just what I'm looking for. I can't see it fitting on CABW, but it would make a wonderful "bonus track" for the album on the Snow Child single. :) (I don't want to call a song this good a "B-side"!)

I've been looking into the actual process of starting a record label, but every article I've found focuses on promoting your artists, maintaining a steady income, etc. My life is pretty pathetic, so I don't have much of a problem with dumping money into getting these printed, selling two copies a year, and leaving it at that. Call it a vanity project I guess. I just did a dummy run on DiscMakers and it says that 100 CDs, professionally pressed and printed, would be $300 including shipping. The pricing gets insane once you go above that, and I'm not expecting to sell a significant number of them. I will need to research a bit more though, as I think DiscMakers doesn't support multiple inserts, which would be really cool to have. I could do a single square insert with the cover art on one side and the credits on the other, and then have a booklet dedicated to lyrics, art, and all that without having to leave space for credits and all that.

Again, right now, this is a pipe dream with no real future, and certainly a money-loser. But man, it would be so cool!

While I'm on the subject, if I ever do get around to doing a CD run, I'm going to give the mastering another round; Pull The Lever is too loud, and Mother and Noeë Al are both too quiet. Also, for some reason, there's about a second of silence indexed on the track for Picture Child when it should have been kept at the end of Beautiful World. That said, I'm still very proud of my work here.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:55 pm

Damn, this is fun. I got exactly what you're looking for.

But damn, I forgot I had that version on Youtube. It is:
- too fast (thank you, studio engineer who managed to convince me that "It really can't be any slower than this")
- sung with zero emotion in my voice, probably because I was nervous singing in front of several people
- played sloppily and without embellishments, probably because I had to play too fast
- mixed poorly, which is sad because this was recorded in a very nice studio with very nice people's help

So, lo and behold: click here for the newest version. It has:
- HARMONIZING BACKGROUND VOCALS!!!! Even better: I mixed them myself and I find them beautiful. My favorite part is where the harmonica starts; the backing vocals transition from "ooo" to "aaa" (insert lewd joke here) at the same time and really come alive.
- less reverb on the lead vocals, and the lead vocals are louder too
- slower tempo (I think I may have even played this without a metronome, entirely winging it while recording the guitar instead)
- nicer, more spontaneous guitar playing
- better technique in the guitar playing, probably because I ditched the pick and started strumming with my nails instead

This version was removed from Children of the Angel With a Broken Wing sort of last-minute, mainly because my brother convinced me that it was out of place. The whole album is kind of a show-case for my ability to record full band experiences by myself, so this song's extremely simple arrangement just didn't fit in well. Additionally, the album's overall sentiment is already sad enough without this song on it.

Fun fact, by the way: the 6/8 part of Pull the Lever uses the same chords as the verses of Leysin. I had originally intended Leysin to become a song in three parts, namely:
- Leysin (Winter), the version I linked in this post.
- Leysin (Summer), an even slower and shorter version on the piano, with sentimental lyrics that talk about "where did my snow go?"
- Epiloog, which was going to wrap up the album as a summary of all the theme. It was an extra slow version (I think it was about 6'30") with lyrics in Limburgs, intermezzos on the ocarina, all vocals in a high falsetto. Finally the last two lines were in Vietnamese (roughly translating to"finally I am free") and English ("Long live liberty"). I'll have to check at home if I actually still have this version -- I'm afraid I might have thrown it away. The sad reality was that this was a good attempt at something beautiful, but the outcome was rather boring.

Pull the Lever is the fourth version that I made from scratch, and it became good enough once I added the guitar solo (also taken from another old song called "Shepherd") and the outro (also taken from an old unnamed song) to it. I think my best quality in songwriting is my ability to throw away and combine different ideas. I'm pretty well versed at "killing my darlings".

I am still saving all these versions for a potential future project though.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:10 pm

I never noticed the chordal similarity. Funny! The rhythm really disguises a lot. (I did notice that Shepherd sounds kind of similar to Pull The Lever... maybe just a little bit... I guess...)

I'm really liking the re-recorded Leysin. (I forgot Soundcloud existed, otherwise I probably would have found it.) You nailed those harmony vocals! They're even more beautiful than I expected.

I'd like to hear the "full" version. Hearing this as a full conceptual piece (no matter how small, compared to the other one) would be great. Maybe it would be better to skip a CABW single and just release Leysin as its own EP.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:10 pm

I hope you know that CABW has become my new benchmark for competition. Even if my next couple of projects aren't as high of quality as this album was, it's given me a competitive fire under my ass to expect more from my own songwriting.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:57 pm

@Artisan: A Leysin EP will never happen. I refuse to release an album with 4 songs that all have the same chord scheme. Just nope.

@Alec: That's interesting, because you are the main reason why I feel self conscious about how slowly I create music. I am at an average of 1 album per 5 years or so, so far. I wish I could do much, much better than that, but I just don't enjoy the process of recording music enough.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:28 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:That's interesting, because you are the main reason why I feel self conscious about how slowly I create music. I am at an average of 1 album per 5 years or so, so far. I wish I could do much, much better than that, but I just don't enjoy the process of recording music enough.
You're the main reason I've become self-conscious about being so "prolific" in my earlier days. You may not be as fast as you'd like, but you can definitely say that you've got a finished product that really is fully fleshed-out and finished. To this day I only have a single album of solid material that I can call complete after eight years of dicking about with half-ideas and no experience with modern recording techniques. Funny enough, I also don't enjoy the process of recording music all that much, but now that I have an almost non-existent amount of free time that I can dedicate towards it, I find it to be much more appealing when I need to do it.