New musical direction

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here
New musical direction

Post by quicksilver » Wed May 25, 2016 3:42 pm

I've been playing guitar for 30 years and have been searching for a new direction for over a year now. My interest in music is very wide ranging from obviously Pink Floyd to Waylon Jennings. I love all kinds of music and enjoy playing all kinds of music as well. I put down my Strat in January in favor of my acoustic, and it has reinvigorated me. I've been experimenting with different tunings as well, and that alone has opened up a new door. At some point I know I'll pick up the electric again, but for now I'm happy as hell. I just wish that I could sing :lol:
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Re: New musical direction

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed May 25, 2016 4:35 pm

I wish we could hear what you're jamming, brother! Was there any sort of motivation or inspiration to switch to acoustic like this? Any new music you came across, or old music you found a new love for? I find personally that music evolution just sort of happens, at least for me. I know a lot of people get comfortable with their own style and coast on it forever, but that's never gonna happen to me, and it looks like it didn't happen to you either! Do you write your own material, or experiment with others?

Aren't I full of questions? :mrgreen:
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Wed May 25, 2016 6:38 pm

SunShade wrote:I wish we could hear what you're jamming, brother! Was there any sort of motivation or inspiration to switch to acoustic like this? Any new music you came across, or old music you found a new love for? I find personally that music evolution just sort of happens, at least for me. I know a lot of people get comfortable with their own style and coast on it forever, but that's never gonna happen to me, and it looks like it didn't happen to you either! Do you write your own material, or experiment with others?

Aren't I full of questions? :mrgreen:
Its really a combination of a few things:

I can only be so creative on an electric. Yes, I can manufacture endless sounds and mimic other peoples solos, but with that being the only instrument I play, that limits what I can do. Its fun to play to backing tracks, but that thrill wears off too. I can play a song from start to finish on an acoustic and make it sound pretty good, which is satisfying. I enjoy playing Crosby, Stills & Nash; Neil Young; Older Rolling Stones material. I'm versed enough in music that I can breakdown a typical guitar driven rock song and rearrange it to sound good on an acoustic. To me, I enjoy that challenge as its not as easy as one may think.

The catalog of songs I can play on an acoustic is expanded considerably.
Take this song for example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op9ND6-c-Dg
Whether you like John Denver or not, this song is fun to play. Drop D tuning with capo on the second fret.

Here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-Qdrr3XSk
Stills is a great acoustic guitar player.

I think the direction I'm leaning is more towards softer rock with older classic country and blues mixed in, Ala, Neil Young, Waylon Jennings, CSN etc.

I have written some stuff over the years, but nothing I'm proud of, or would ever let anyone listen to. I think that concentrating on one instrument with one sound will be good for me and may spur more creativity- who knows?
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed May 25, 2016 7:17 pm

I definitely wish I had stuck to just a single instrument. In my younger years, I was all about piano and only piano. From 2009 to 2012 I did mostly solo piano recordings. None of those song files exist any more, I have no idea where they went but there's no existing record of my musical catalog pre-"Celestial Voices". I feel like branching out the way I have has caused my skills to suffer; jack of all trades, but a master of none. I think it's great that you continue to push your skill forward, I've definitely focused more on textures and arrangements than actual skill. Guess I look up to Rick Wright too much. :lol:
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Wed May 25, 2016 7:46 pm

SunShade wrote:I definitely wish I had stuck to just a single instrument. In my younger years, I was all about piano and only piano. From 2009 to 2012 I did mostly solo piano recordings. None of those song files exist any more, I have no idea where they went but there's no existing record of my musical catalog pre-"Celestial Voices". I feel like branching out the way I have has caused my skills to suffer; jack of all trades, but a master of none. I think it's great that you continue to push your skill forward, I've definitely focused more on textures and arrangements than actual skill. Guess I look up to Rick Wright too much. :lol:

Looking up to Rick Wright is a very good thing!

I applaud and envy the fact that you play multiple instruments. I'd do anything to play the piano. The biggest challenge of focusing on one instrument for me, is the fact that you have to take a song that in many cases layers multiple instruments and incorporate pieces of each (and voice) to make it sound good.

Check out this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUrBezsQg30
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed May 25, 2016 7:52 pm

That's a great acoustic arrangement! If you ask me, it takes a lot more skill to arrange a dense song for a single instrument than it does to just re-create the original song on a plethora of instruments. There's a lot of songs I wish I could do just solo piano on, but I have a hard time deciding what to keep and what to cut. You've got more patience than me to work on that!