AWT Music Thread [RETIRED]

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
AWT Music Thread [RETIRED]

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:35 pm

New single today: "Reinvigorated". Just as the title suggests, I've found a renewed sense of energy and purpose musically with a brand new musical direction. Upbeat instrumental synthpop with blaring horns and some nostalgic 90s sounds, what's not to love? Tomorrow comes the big announcement, with the album title, track listing, and release date reveal. Stay tuned!
Last edited by Alec Taylor on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Alec Taylor

Re: Alec Taylor Music Thread

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm pleased to announce my newest musical project, Polyphonic Pulse! If the vibrant colors of the album cover and the upbeat pop sounds of "Reinvigorated" weren't enough of a clue, this is the most fun I've ever had making music, and I think it shows. Polyphonic Pulse will be available to download on Bandcamp on January 10, 2017, for the low price of $2. Purchasing the album unlocks three additional hidden bonus tracks not otherwise available.

Polyphonic Pulse - January 10, 2017
1. Cloudburst Admin Sunrise (2:30)
2. Reflections (3:12)
3. The Neural Sonata (2:41)
4. Temporary (0:56)
5. Bitcoin Boulevard (2:30)
6. Rosebud Rainforest (2:25)
7. Polyphonic Pulse (2:27)

"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:07 am

I'm listening to your single now. About 3 seconds in, I already felt an incredible urge to go and play Airline Tycoon once I'm home.

Seriously, your music isn't something I would generally put on my turntable, but it would make for incredible video game soundtracks. You know those movies/games where you realize that you enjoy the game 20% because of the game itself and 80% because of the background music? Well, this is such background music.

Looking forward to the album. :)
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words!

After hearing how good my music would be for video games and soundtracks, I took the advice to heart. Notice the song titles "Bitcoin Boulevard" and "Rosebud Rainforest"? This is a soundtrack, I'm embracing the trope!

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:10 am

Haha, nice!

If you're ever bored in the future, you should look into ways to make your songs usable for loops. In games is nice when there's no clear end and beginning of a loop, and the music usually has to be composed specifically to make that possible.

I'm gonna be listening to this some more today. And to your albums. Alec W Taylor marathon.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:48 pm

January 10th is too far away, I'm getting impatient. Polyphonic Pulse is here today.

Welcome to the new classic world of Polyphonic Pulse!

As you enter, your first steps reverberate across the virtual dawn of "Cloudburst Admin Sunrise". It's the only breath of calm air you'll be taking for a while, so let the vaportrap echoes lure you into a false sense of serenity one last time. Once you're feeling at peace, tune in as we begin calling all stations to enhance your experience.

You may think that "Reflections" is a chance to sit back and think about your past mistakes, but you'd be wrong. Add that to your present mistakes! "Reflections" blasts off in a bold new direction while taking a moment to look back on what's been done, and how it functions as the foundation for what is still to come.

But don't forget, you're still inside my virtual world. Plug into "The Neural Sonata" and let the dreamy timbre and throbbing drums weave their way into your subconscious. It feels like your own personal paradise, but unfortunately, it only exists within the confines of the virtual dreams I've placed within your mind.

You may be experiencing psychological fatigue at this point, so take a "Temporary" break to relax. We're experiencing some technical difficulties with the coming features, so you may be required to do a bit of bug testing on behalf of Polyphonic Pulse.

Take a stroll through our exotic luxury resort, the world-renowned "Bitcoin Boulevard"! The colorful neon lights, shimmering slot machines, and black-light highways are specifically designed to fill you with awe. However, the processor that handles the resort is overclocked taking care of the sights, so you may experience a decrease in audio and visual resolution during your stay.

Here at Polyphonic Pulse, we can tap into your mood and generate a unique environment tailored to your desires. It seems that you're feeling very pink, and our analysis has led to the creation of the "Rosebud Rainforest". Who would have thought you'd get the chance to see a pink jungle? Not us! Please refrain from interacting with the new environment, or else you may experience a decrease in audio and visual resolution.

As our first participant, you get an exclusive first-hand look at the very core of "Polyphonic Pulse". Within, you'll see flashes of previous experiments, old code, and the energy that drives this place forward. It's the ultimate celebration of past and future! As you exit the virtual world, we thank you for taking part in the alpha of Polyphonic Pulse, and hope you leave feeling Reinvigorated!

Alec Corporations is not responsible for permanent psychological conditions induced by the Polyphonic Pulse New Classic 2017 Virtual World.

Enjoy! ;)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Damn... Just hours after I go to the house that won't give me a stable internet connection. I have to rely on my terrible phone and it can't handle any streaming on cell data. You planned it this way!!!! :x :lol:

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:22 pm

Artisan wrote:Damn... Just hours after I go to the house that won't give me a stable internet connection. I have to rely on my terrible phone and it can't handle any streaming on cell data. You planned it this way!!!! :x :lol:
You got me! I originally planned to release this on February 28, but kept moving up the release date to make sure you couldn't listen to it! But so far, I know of two Floydians members that have heard it in full, and their reviews are as radiant as the music I've made. Don't delay, check it out ASAP!

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:00 pm

You monster!!! :(

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Polyphonic Pulse is performing really well, beyond my normal standards. I've finally broken out of my normal audience into something wider, and I think the fact that I've cranked up the tempo and improved my instruments are big factors in this.

Anyone who's tuned in already can already tell that my move from standard General MIDI into modern DAWs and soundfonts has made a big impact on the quality of my music. Everything just sounds that much better. So my next main goal is to take all of my old Spectral multitracks and update them with the new instrument quality. Same album, just better. I'm calling it a remaster (sorry Artisan :lol: ), and Spectral 2017 will be free (and the original album will still exist). It really will only take me a solid day to get it done, I just need to find a free day to do it.

2017 might be my last year to really make music, so I'm working hard to get everything done that I've wanted to accomplish. I have a handful of songs and four major projects to do. Polyphonic Pulse was the first major project. Spectral 2017 is not a major project. One of these is a second Phantom Turnip project (tentatively named Phantom Turnip II), another is an even bigger, more diverse instrumental project, and the third is a sort of prog-rock magnum opus that's been in the works for about a year now, and probably has another eight months to go. I've also got a handful of small songs and mini-projects that will be released whenever I feel like.

Phantom Turnip II is probably the next on the agenda, but I don't know much about it yet. Just that Rainware Installation dealt with my personal frustrations as a musician, and the next one will be more general frustrations with life as a whole. More vocals, less gimmicks, whatever works, you know?

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:04 am

Holy damn I am into this album. Just finished "Reflections". I absolutely loved the high pitched, distorted sound there. It sounded a lot like a guitar solo and came really unexpected.

In general, what I like about your music is that it's so dynamic, yet really concise. I like listening to Pink Floyd because they have songs with lots of variation, but they usually need 5 to 10 minutes per song to pull that off. Of course it's a totally different genre, but what I'm enjoying in your music is similar to what I enjoy in Pink Floyd.

By the way, the bass line in this album's opening song was really good. That really made the album sound promising from about 5 seconds in.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:31 pm

First off, thanks for the kind words and support even after I've been a total asshat!

Secondly, my goal was to make something very different from what I've already done. Even though I've said that time after time, I think this is the instance where it finally came true. By cranking up the tempo, emulating brass and guitar sounds, and ditching complex chord sequences and time signatures for repeating hooks, I think that's what set this apart from my previous works.

I never thought much about the bass line in "Cloudburst Admin Sunrise" until you pointed out. I always thought the track hit its stride when the organ came in, but you've got a much more optimistic view than I do apparently! :lol:

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Cloudburst - great way to start it off. Reminded me of a lot of well designed GameBoy games music, really transported me back.

Reflection - I-iii chord progression YES YES YES. Great driving groove and I love the riff. The piano and organ bit around the two minute mark is heavenly.

Sonata - Awesome piano runs. Reminds me of Ian Underwood's first solo in Son of Mr. Green Genes (not as insane though).

Temporary - lovely little interlude. Reminds me of many Waterboys interludes, and that's a very good thing.

Boulevard - groovy little bassline! Highly melodic.

Rainforest - again, cool bass part. Reminiscent of Feeling Very Pink, but in a more melodic and less jam-oriented direction. Getting the most Pink Floyd vibes off this one.

Polyphonic Pulse - cool chord changes! I think I'm hearing parallel majors and minors. Very cool rhythm and a Turn Blue sounding bass drone in the background that ties it together. And you know how I love collage tracks.

Very well done! Definitely looking forward to the next installment.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:32 pm

Artisan wrote:Cloudburst - great way to start it off. Reminded me of a lot of well designed GameBoy games music, really transported me back.

Reflection - I-iii chord progression YES YES YES. Great driving groove and I love the riff. The piano and organ bit around the two minute mark is heavenly.

Sonata - Awesome piano runs. Reminds me of Ian Underwood's first solo in Son of Mr. Green Genes (not as insane though).

Temporary - lovely little interlude. Reminds me of many Waterboys interludes, and that's a very good thing.

Boulevard - groovy little bassline! Highly melodic.

Rainforest - again, cool bass part. Reminiscent of Feeling Very Pink, but in a more melodic and less jam-oriented direction. Getting the most Pink Floyd vibes off this one.

Polyphonic Pulse - cool chord changes! I think I'm hearing parallel majors and minors. Very cool rhythm and a Turn Blue sounding bass drone in the background that ties it together. And you know how I love collage tracks.

Very well done! Definitely looking forward to the next installment.

I'll spoil the surprise, "Rosebud Rainforest" is "Feeling Very Pink", mostly. It's the electric piano segment to start with, but then it veers into a new original section. So good catch!

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this so much. I promised to deliver something new, something more upbeat and fresh, and I'm glad that I was able to deliver! I can't say for sure that my next projects will be this same style, but now that I've finally made some decent melodies and a better way to write and record music, I'm hoping that my next projects will at least be of the same caliber and level of quality.

Also no one caught (to my knowledge) that "Cloudburst Admin Sunrise" and "Polyphonic Pulse" are the same song. And the piano/organ interlude for "Reflections" is exactly why one of the three bonus tracks is "Reflections (SunShade Mix)". The other is a non-chiptune "Bitcoin Boulevard". Didn't feel the need to make a modern mix of "Rosebud Rainforest" because it sort of already exists.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Everyone I talked to noticed the sharp increase in quality from Polyphonic Pulse to my earlier work, largely in part due to me finding better software and learning better ways to produce my tracks. So I took a bit of time from my other major projects to remaster Spectral. I present Spectral 2017!

It's the same album as before (no new tracks, melodies, or anything like that), just with the superior quality of Polyphonic Pulse. It was crazy nostalgic doing this project. I really haven't listened to Spectral much since I released it on April 23, 2015, so to go back and work with those old multitracks again after almost two years brought back a lot of the memories I had with making the album over the span of almost a year. I can see now that I've definitely grown as a songwriter, as most of these songs now are much simpler and less textured than what came after. Quite a shock going from my latest project to this remaster for sure!

Anyway, other than this remix of an old video game track, I'll probably be quiet about making music. Other than a few surprises in February (since that's Valentine's Day and my lovely Madi's birthday in the same week, don't tell! :mrgreen: ), I'll be hard at work making Phantom Turnip II, an instrumental pop rock project, and a progressive rock send-off that has been in the works for quite some time now (codename Project Midori).

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:01 pm

As promised, here are YouTube uploads of Polyphonic Pulse and friends for those who have a hard time using Bandcamp on mobile (or for other reasons). Also uploaded are the bonus tracks which only show up on Bandcamp for people who purchase the album. So now they can be listened to for free!

Polyphonic Pulse (Full Album): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaS_HYEBKHA
Reinvigorated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKNX-D6swGU
Reflections (SunShade Mix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIBdJdz8pBI
Bitcoin Boulevard (Modern Mix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCilkpCs6xs

Still working on a YouTube upload for Spectral 2017. My Vista laptop has a hard time rendering videos much longer than five minutes, much less thirty, and the entire thing tends to overheat and shut down in the process. I can't believe it was able to get all four of these done this morning, what a champion. Hopefully it can stick it out for one last large rendering job! :lol:

UPDATE: Here's the YouTube upload for Spectral 2017! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTq_PX_CyqU)

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:35 pm

While I'm hard at work on both Phantom Turnip II and an unnamed instrumental project (still very early in development), I had the idea to do a quick mini-project. I've always loved the game Sonic CD, and the Japanese soundtrack to the game is divine. It very much inspired Polyphonic Pulse, to say the least. One of my favorite tracks plays in the level Quartz Quadrant Zone, a huge crystal mine built into a swamp that eventually becomes a colorful underground city. I did my own versions of the "Present" and "Good Future" tracks, then did each of those using the Sega Genesis instrumentation from the game's native console. So I present The Quartz Quadrant Collection, a fun little romp with video game music (since that's what people think I make).

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWiZ6qw44IE
SoundCloud Download Link: https://soundcloud.com/alecwtaylor/sets ... collection

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:46 am

Instead of Phantom Turnip II coming out in May and Project Midori coming out in September, I'm switching the release dates and placing my focus on Project Midori instead. Polyphonic Pulse had a lot of good energy put into it, and I want to continue that refined and polished sound forward and make my next project seem like the next logical step. Phantom Turnip II is going to be the complete opposite of that project, being very bleak, broken, and avant-garde, and I want to keep with the good vibrations of Pulse for better continuity from project to project.

Project Midori will do better to establish an identity for me anyway, and is actually a lot closer to completion than Phantom Turnip II right now.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:16 am

Is May still a "worst case scenario" release date for Project Midori? You said in another thread that we could probably expect Phantom Turnip II to be finished sooner than that.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:33 pm

If we're being completely honest, it would be completely realistic to see both of them completed by the end of May. The general outline is Project Midori in May, Phantom Turnip II in September, and Project Antipode in December. The first two won't take that long (especially Project Midori), but that last one is going to be the real crown jewel. It's an actual continuation of Polyphonic Pulse, and it's actually been in progress since about four months before I ever started Polyphonic Pulse.

But Project Midori, by it's very nature, can and will be a quick project compared to the other two. PT2 is ready to go as is, but I just want to put out one more "standard" release before jumping into something very bleak and experimental. PT2 is almost my personal analogue of something like The Wall or The Final Cut.

EDIT: Also I'll be privatizing my music catalog on Friday. Bandcamp wants to take music sales that day and donate portions of them to a political cause, and we don't get a say in it whatsoever as artists. Their site, their rules, and that's fine, but I'm not going to let my music help a cause I don't believe in without my consent. It'll be back on Saturday.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:00 pm

Alright friendos, I just have a brief update about Project Midori.

I'm finishing up the last bits of writing, but I have confidence that this will be my next release, and that a May release date is very generous. Normally I've strayed away from talking too much about a project before it's really coming together (hence why I kept Polyphonic Pulse a secret until the very end) because I've had a history of getting ahead of myself on a project before I know for sure it will work, and it all ends with cancellation. This isn't the case this time; by its very nature, this project will see completion.

The reason behind the name is because green is my favorite color, and thought that the placeholder name The Green Album seemed boring. But the driving force behind this project is because I've made mistakes. Like I mentioned, I've had a lot of cancelled projects and failed ideas, and my catalog prior to Rainware Installation is a total mess. Project Midori will make things right. It's almost the prog-rock double album's tagline: "This will make things right". It's my apology for being inconsistent and messy, and will ride the same fire that filled my belly during PPulse.

Anyway, I've got fifteen of the twenty-four songs ready to record, and I should be done with the writing process on the other nine songs very soon.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:53 am

1/24 demos done, and already at 4:13? This is very unlike you. :)

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:11 pm

It's a big project.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:26 pm

What is the approximate approximate length once all demos are finished?

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Maybe 60-70 minutes? Possibly longer? It's hard to tell right now, but as demos are completed, I'll keep updating the time. Like I said, normally I don't have so much confidence in my projects out of fear of cancellation, but due to the nature of this project, it's not going to get cancelled. It might be a double album, I'm not sure, but that would be neat if it turned out that way.