AWT Music Thread [RETIRED]

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Re: Alec Taylor Music Thread

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:52 pm

As I make more progress with this project, it's becoming apparent that it will likely be close to or longer than 70 minutes in length. Two of the songs I've yet to demo could easily hit eight to ten minutes in length themselves, that's still to be determined. The seven demos I have done as of writing this could make for a solid little EP, albeit an inconsistent one that spoils the surprise.

I guess I can give a few more details about the project other than it being a prog-rock double album. It's got four sections to it, each containing five or six songs. They're not "suites" or anything, but I did group songs together based on similar ideas and sounds. I've got the opening segment, a classical segment, a more experimental segment, and the grand finale. Out of the twenty-four demos, twenty-two are destined for the final album. One song will be released as a single to formally announce the project once all of the demos are completed, and another song will be released for the reveal of the album name, tracklist, and release date. They'll be included as bonus tracks for the final album, I'm sure.

But I'm keeping a tight lip on all other details, because I really want this to be a surprise. I think this has the potential to really blow peoples' minds and make up for a lot of my past mistakes as a musician. It won't necessarily be my best project of 2017, but it's going to be the most important and the biggest in scope. Phantom Turnip II is basically more of what Rainware Installation was but with vocals, and Project Antipode is a continuation of Polyphonic Pulse with some inspiration taken from previous projects.

But this one... it's going to be different but familiar. It's the most important, and that's why I decided to make it my main focus. It needs to be made.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:24 pm

The first thing he felt was the sensation of liquid draining from around his body.

A dim teal light flooded his vision, and as he came to his senses, a glass pane parted in front of him. His muscles were weak, but he found the strength to step out of what seemed to be a glass pod. He turned around and studied the pod further. At the top, on a green digital display, was the phrase "MIDORI". Was that his name? Midori?

It became apparent to him that he was in some sort of laboratory, and there were strange relics and experiments scattered about it. The walls were decorated with dozens of little lights, each one glowing and fading in shades of dawn and twilight. Large magnetic tape reels spun slowly, with many of them coming unraveled and slowing to a halt.

Walking over to a desk, he found a few small vials with drops of a silver liquid suspended in air. All around the vials were sticky notes with the number 'seven' transcribed on them. Many of them had fallen onto the floor. Another desk had a glass containment cage with a strange light source within. It looked like a small sun, but the glass was frosted over and cold to the touch.

A third desk had a collection of strange contraptions, each with a still image attached to them: an antennae with an image of a blue planet, a flute with an image of a tree, an axe with an image of a furnace, a spigot with an image of a sewer, and a dial with an image of a cloud. Above the desk was an image of a forest in autumn, but superimposed over the center was an open door with a light shining through.

A sliding metal door waited across from the glass pod he had emerged from. Through the door, and down the cold metallic hallway, he entered a much larger room with an observation deck and a few more glass pods. Each one contained another person, but they were strange. These bodies were transparent, and incomplete. They each had a name above them, just like he had. Were they all some crazy scientists lab rats?

There was a clone of him, albeit transparent, and with concentric black and gray rings all over his body (named Vikaar). Another one was a gender-swapped female version of himself, toned blue and named "Hikari Tsuki". A third contained just a brain and nervous system, but with a complete left hand that was toned mint green. This one simply said "can you feel it?".

The most complete one was the only one that wasn't transparent. He didn't have a face, and his body was tones of black and green. His pod was labelled "Phantom Turnip", and he had a floppy disk at his feet. Our unknown protagonist picked up the disk, and noticed that the blank screens had a floppy disk drive below them and a large dial. He placed the disk into the drive and sat back.

The screens turned on and briefly displayed the message "rainware_setup.exe is working...", then an image of a large metropolitan area appeared on the screen with the phrase "MEGALOPOLIS" over the top. The dial had five settings: "past", "present", "bad future", "good future", and "?????". The dial wouldn't move towards "?????", but the other four settings produced interesting results.

In the past, the city became a verdant prehistoric jungle filled with megaflora. The present was simply the same city. The "bad" future showed a much larger, derelict city suffocating in pollution and covered in neon advertisements. The "good" future showed a similar city, but carved from marble and decorated in high-tech botanical gardens and large pipelines of clean water. Every image had one thing in common, though.

It was always raining.

The only other thing of interest was a framed picture on an empty desk near the door. The image showed yet another clone of himself standing near a strange facility, decorated in vibrant tiles and a neon pulse logo. The sign said "Polyphonic Pulse Grand Opening" as the version of him in the image was cutting red tape with a giant pair of scissors. Picking up the image set off a weighted device, and the images of the Megalopolis started to change.

The rain storm over the "present" city subsided, and as the Sun began to shine, the Moon swung into view and eclipsed it. The entire landscape grew dark, with the only things left visible being the city lights and the eclipse itself. The entire laboratory began to dissolve into darkness around him, and as he panicked, he heard a woman's voice repeatedly say "it's time to wake up." Everything started to shake...

..."Alec, it's time to wake up!"

It was all a dream. Although exact details remained fuzzy, he recognized a lot of the subliminal references that appeared. They continued to swim around in his head, these familiar subjects, and it began to grow on him. There was some unfinished business, something he had moved on from too soon in the past. He realized what his next music project was going to be, and he even had the perfect title for it.

Project: Midori.

I've been dropping cryptic teasers about Project Midori on here, Facebook, and Twitter, but this will be the last one. Once the demos are complete (which will be within the next week and a half), the real details of the double album will be revealed. I just thought it would be fun to make one last teaser in the form of a short story. Feel free to speculate to your hearts' content, but I won't answer any questions you may have about it. ;)

Also May 6 is very generous as a release date. I think April 15 is much better.
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 am

Your dreams are definitely different from the "Oh my god I can fly!" dreams that I have. :D

So, two more months. Countdown started!
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:36 pm

I wish this was actually a dream I had! That would have been LIT. This is just a little something I whipped up to tease the album. It doesn't have anything to do with the album really, and I definitely didn't conceive the idea in a dream. But it has a lot of imagery and themes that do relate to the upcoming songs. Mostly just a little piece I whipped up for fun, something different than the usual cryptic images I like to do.

UPDATE: One song has been scrapped from the project. Since it was built around a main riff that I later incorporated into two other songs, I'll include that song's main hook as a bonus track. It was an old Discomposure track that I thought would work here, but I can't get the song to work right. I like the name, the riff, and the idea of the song, but I just can't get it to work. Also April 15 is yet another generous release date, especially in light of scrapping a track.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 am

I can't believe it's almost been a year since SunShade was put to rest.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:04 am

RIP. His dankness will never be matched.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 pm

For as much time as I spent as SunShade, I really don't have a solid body of work to show for it.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:39 pm

I often look back on my time as SunShade and think about how much potential there was in that material.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:56 pm

I'm trying to understand what is going on with those images and the disappearing digits.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:21 pm

The return of cryptic image messages - which disappeared right around the time that's being erased - leads me to believe that SunShade faked his death and got this "Alec Taylor" guy to spread rumors. But there's no doubt that these messages could only come from SunShade.

He's alive.

Somewhere, under the earth.

Waiting to strike.

And when he returns...

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:32 pm

I can personally assure everyone Ḩ͍̲̥ere, with my honeE̲̳̮ͅst word as my bond, that the artist formerL͙͙̹͍̘̖y known as SunShade ̰̣͚͔͔̭Iͅs no longḘ̪̠̭͖r with uS҉̬͖̪̫̟̰̞.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Next up: an album by TAFKASS!

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:21 am

Maybe there was enough potential to possibly create a progressive rock double album? #ProjectMidori

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:49 am

Wait, will this be Project Midori?

Y U NO GIVE US MORE INFO

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:51 pm

It's time for SunShade to receive his redemption. This will begin to make things right.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 pm

I KNEW IT! HE CAN NEVER DIE!

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Now that the big reveal has been made, I wonder what sort of hints about the album can be found in that short story. I wonder who Midori was all along?

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Holy shit that was actually a seriously awesome reveal. :D
Also very nice to see your old avatar back -- I still identify you as having that avatar since forever.

I call Midori is Madi.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:27 pm

The teaser campaign isn't over yet, but I just wanted to celebrate the demos being completed by revealing the nature of the project. As I start to finalize songs, I'll be putting out a few more cryptic images to tease the album's contents. Although honestly, some of the song titles and song themes are hidden in that short story. The more I reveal details about Project Midori, the more that story will start to make sense. Knowing that Midori = SunShade will probably be the biggest revelation.

I do have two singles planned. I'm taking a recording break to really focus in on these demos so I can make them the best I possibly can. The first single will be released as soon as it's finished (so probably within the next two weeks or so) as a sort of "hey look what I'm doing". The second single will be released once the entire album is done to act as a launch single. Then I'll reveal the album name and track list. Twenty songs, 72 minutes as of right now. Two demos didn't make it to the final stage sadly, but I'm sure those songs will come back in the future.

I don't want to reveal a ton just yet, I'm still a bit nervous about the project. I want to hype it up because it's important, but I still have this fear that the grand reveal is going to be met with disappointment and skepticism. Needless to say, I'm working hard to make sure this is a quality project! And given that PT2 and Project Antipode aren't due until August and December, respectively, I'll be taking a music break to focus on writing and other aspects of my life.

Oh and also Polyphonic Pulse was a teaser as well. Especially the title track. It opens with a medley of SunShade tracks, ends with a Phantom Turnip II segment, and embodies an electronic sound. Three sections of different sounds? Three releases planned for 2017? I wonder if I've decided to use my music as a worldbuilding experiment with hidden lore in each release.

AFTERTHOUGHT: I am creating a new lore-based approach to my music from now on, it's a very sustainable concept. Each album may or may not be conceptual (spoiler alert, Project Midori isn't really a concept album), but they will fit into an overall story. I realized how messy my catalog has been over the past four years with tons of "bands" and alter egos that never went anywhere or just fizzled out with wasted potential. 2017 is starting over, by taking my most important ones and bringing it all back together so that in 2018, I can really start hitting my stride. If you recall in the short story, there were lots of stasis pods with unfinished people in them. Midori is going to bring SunShade into the lore, and PT2 is going to bring Phantom Turnip in as well. Antipode will sort of involve those two plus just plain ol' Alec Taylor, then everything after that will be normal.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:26 pm

No matter how big you think you are, you'll always be nothing in the city.

New single "Megalopolis" is here, a very first look at SunShade's Project Midori.

Everything is sounding good so far, but there might be a bit of a delay on my project. My old and current job works me 5pm-11pm Wednesday-Sunday every week, and my new job I am transitioning into works me 10am-3pm Monday-Friday every week. Needless to say, I'll be a bit busy and don't know how much free time I'll have to work on this massive project. But it's only until March 10, and other than that it's all still going great, and I still look forward to the eventual reveal of the album's name and tracklist (even if the latter makes me a bit nervous).

WHO REIGNS IN MEMORIAM?

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:23 am

Silver rain keeps falling on me...

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:54 pm

He's not who he says he is. His experiments are getting out of hand, and I think I'm one of them. He tried calling me "Midori" but I know who I really am. He can't keep me locked in this laboratory forever.

Do̢͞n̴̡͜'͟t͝ ̨̕ļ͟et him ̸҉r̵̡ę̵p̷̷l̵͡ace me.

ş̸̕͞u҉n̵͠҉̸̢s̢̛͢h̢̛̕͞a͟͞d̶͠ȩ̛r̴̨̕͠a͢͞i̧n҉̵̨̕7̶͏͏̡

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 pm

I need to get on a computer with speakers. ffffffffffff

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:05 pm

I think someone hacked into my account, because I certainly don't remember writing that.

I'm changing the release date to "Spring 2017" because my jobs have ramped up and I'll be pulling 70-75 hour work weeks over the next two weeks, and my car is still broken down so I have to walk everywhere. Also having a bit of trouble with one of my academic projects at the moment, I can't seem to figure out where he, uh... actually, that's not important. In any case, don't believe anything he says. He's got some weird ideas in his head right now, and he's not to be trusted.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:25 pm

Dude, I tried telling you Sunshade wasn't dead but you wouldn't listen. Now look where that's got you. At the very least, stop using the password he used to use, he still remembers it.