AWT Music Thread [RETIRED]

Do you play music yourself? Then this is your place-to-be!
Artisan
The Final Cut
Re: Alec Taylor Music Thread

Post by Artisan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Artisan wrote:Dude, I tried telling you Sunshade wasn't dead but you wouldn't listen. Now look where that's got you. At the very least, stop using the password he used to use, he still remembers it.
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS MAN. HE IS A FOOL.

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:26 pm

The math adds up to my transition between jobs being three 70-hour work weeks, the first of which I'm almost through (fucking finally). So yeah, we're going to have to expect delays because I physically don't have time to work on a project this big between shifts and trying to sleep. :(
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Just a quick update on Midori.

The March 31 release date isn't really set in stone, but I'm sure I'll have it all done by then. Honestly, I'll likely release it like three or four days after it's finished and I've given it a few thorough listens. Aiming for March 16 (my Dad's birthday) or March 17 (very green holiday and I'm 1/16 Irish) would be cool, just because of those dates, but that puts a pretty stiff deadline on myself so I'm not going to do that. Also, I'm probably not going to call it a double album any more because it doesn't really make sense. I originally had the tracks arranged to play as four suites, but I found a much better track order that gets rid of that altogether. Also, it would be a "double" in the days of vinyl, but it would easily fit on one CD with maybe three or four minutes to spare, and there's no clear "halfway" point, so I'm just going to stop that.

Any more info would probably be considered spoilers, other than the fact that a lot of this material and the overall ideas were salvaged from my cancelled Discomposure project. Nothing is really that much of a secret any more anyway; I've dropped just enough teasers of just the right content so that anyone who is studious enough can work out the album title and some of the song titles. I mean, that short story was packed with references. Remember how the story ended with the eclipse over the city of Megalopolis, and a few days later, the single "Megalopolis" was released? That wasn't the only song title I worked into the story. All the pieces are out there! ;)
"A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking."

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:19 am

Changing leaves and changing sides...

...halfway done! ;)

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Absolute zero in the cosmic void...

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:30 am

A rose by any other name...

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:30 pm

New SunShade single, "Natural Rose", is now live! This is the last teaser for everyone. Tomorrow, Project Midori will finally be revealed.

WHO REIGNS IN MEMORIAM

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Well damn, that is really a new sound. I'm used to the quick, high melodies on piano, and although this song does include those, the general slowness of this song is really refreshing. I really dig this, especially with the drums coming in very late and still playing a very prominent role in the song.

Is Project Midori much like this song? I'm really going to enjoy that album.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Reminds me a lot of early 70s Todd Rundgren. I heard a nice little melody that sounds like either (I think) A Dream Goes On Forever or It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference (can't remember which one I'm thinking of, though).

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:13 am

The Silver Lining wrote:Is Project Midori much like this song? I'm really going to enjoy that album.
Project Midori is what you would expect from SunShade in more ways than one. Everything will be revealed tomorrow.

But on the subject of both "Megalopolis" and "Natural Rose", they were chosen to sort of represent the two aspects of the sound. "Megalopolis" represents the piano/organ interplay, the sound effect usage, and/or the upbeat rock stuff. "Natural Rose" represents the ethereal, musically complex, and or "proggy" side of the music. Not that each song is one or the other, but the two together help to sort of project the sound I'm looking for.

I'll level with all of you, the final reveal makes me nervous. I'm certain that it will generate equal amounts of hype, skepticism, and disappointment. Nevertheless, the album is complete, and it's coming very very soon.

All that matters is that SunShade would be proud of what I have accomplished if he were still alive today.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:16 am

I think it will make a worthy tribute to a lost friend who reigns in memoriam. :)

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:37 am

I ͟w҉asn̵'͡t a͝ble͟ ́t҉o͠ ac̸com̡p͞li̛s̕h ever͞yth͜i̢ng I̵ s͟e͝t ̨o͏u̕t ̴t̷o do ͢befor͠e I ͠f̨ound̨ ͞tha̡t͜ ҉m͝y̡ ̢t̛i͝me͢ w̨as͢ up, b̶ut tr͏ųs͢t̵ ͏t̀hat ̶I ́m̛ad͞e̴ the righ͟t̶ çhoi͝c̀e̸ ̛in̕ ļeav̵i̧ng ̸my le̡g̀acy͢ iņ his ͡ca̴p͘a̕bl͟e͢ hán͟d͟s͏.

̴Re͟mem͏ber̢ m͟e, alw͝ays.͢

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:15 am

I would just like to let you know that it's tomorrow already.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Who reigns in memoriam? SunShade Reigns. A mixture of re-imagined SunShade standards and all new tracks with the classic sound. Forget the sporadic half-baked ideas of the past. This is what SunShade was always meant to be.

SunShade Reigns - March 16, 2017
1. A New Beginning ("A Beginning")
2. Discomposure ("Discomposure")
3. The Nature of Dreams ("The Nature of Dreams" + "Fuel the Fire")
4. Silver Rain ("Silver Rain" + "Project Rain (Part One)")
5. December Skies ("December Skies" + "Gliding High")
6. Season of Mists ("Season of Mists")
7. Sevens ("Sevens" + "Fate")
8. My Madi ("My Madi")
9. A Shade of Dawn ("A Shade of Dawn" + "Luminaire")
10. Shade's Nocturne ("Shade's Lullaby" + "Know Love, Know Pain")
11. An Evening Alone ("Christmas Shuffle" + "Jazz Shuffle")
12. Nova of Ice ("Nova of Ice")
13. Neologius Propop ("Propop" + "Neologius Propop" + "New Age Showers")
14. Leaving Autumn ("Leaving Autumn")
15. Rainware Installation ("Rainware Installation")
16. All In This Alone ("Lost" + "SLEEPリターン" + "Cloudburst Admin Sunrise" + "Polyphonic Pulse")
17. Come Rain or Shine ("Come Rain or Shine")
18. SunShade Reigns ("Sunshade" + "SunShade's Theme" + "A Shade of Twilight" + "The Moon's Mirror" + "SunShade Reigns" + "Lost")

The underlined tracks are the songs that have either never been released, or are so old that they don't really exist any more or are unavailable now. They come from Discomposure, Polyphonic Pulse, Can You Feel It?, and Alec W. Taylor EP, bringing the best of my cancelled projects together with the best of SunShade. 34 songs rewritten from the ground up into these 18 tracks.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:49 am

PLEASE READ THE ANNOUNCEMENT POST BEFORE PROCEEDING. THIS IS THE LAST "TEASER" FOR THIS PROJECT AND CONTAINS SIGNIFICANT PORTIONS OF THE NEW LORE. SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T CAUGHT UP YET.

---

Up in the sky, he witnessed an eclipse over the city of Megalopolis.

It all started almost a year ago. His recording studio was a complete mess, with frantic notes scribbled all over the place. Various sketches of album covers could be seen, none of which would see the light of day. An extended-play of pop music that he had named after me had a trippy crystalline cover attached to it. I remember hearing those demos; they sounded a bit like stock music.

I remember seeing a large print of a rainbow with a '2' scratched into it. I don't recall what the purpose of that was, as it didn't have anything else attached to it besides Spectral 2014. A large one, hanging in front of the room's only window like a curtain, featured his signature galaxy logo decorated with electric bolts. A box of cassette tapes had this same image taped to it, each one labelled strange things like "SSX 17" and "SSX 12".

I could tell for the few months leading up to his apparent death that things were becoming unhinged in his head. He had spent three years carefully cultivating an image and a sound, but felt like he didn't have any actual music to represent it. He wanted at first to create Discomposure to be that perfect project. He also wanted to recreate his best songs as classical music, a project he called A Sound of Shadow.

He even had me model my hands in a rather tedious photo shoot, hoping to get the perfect shot for another idea of his. He wanted to work with me to create a piano album named Can You Feel It?. That was another thing that drove him mad; the endless collaboration ideas he could never follow through with. His band Project Rain (which never existed) were supposed to create a concept album called Songs of Lament, but that never surfaced.

I think this is what got to him. He had more ideas than time or resources, and his vision could never come to be. I would have helped him if I knew how; unfortunately for both of us, I never found a good musical direction of my own, and I was always better as a scientist anyway. After his disappearance and presumed death, I was left with something of his. Something he wanted me to have.

A box with a green SunShade logo labeled Verdant Shade.

Inside, I found a lot of demos and notes. The demos were all very familiar. It seemed to me like he had spent a lot of time refining his old songs into better ideas. The notes indicated that he was planning on putting together a progressive rock band by the name of Verdant Shade, as a sort of way to finally bring his sound to life. He later didn't like the idea of collaborations (as he knew they often didn't work out), and eventually called the demos and ideas Project Midori.

I knew why he wanted me to have this. He wanted me to finish Project Midori and finally create the "classic SunShade sound" he always talked about. But I had never done anything this musically ambitious before. I needed a test run. And although I was out of musical ideas, I always found myself itching for a good science experiment.

I crafted a simulation of sorts. A vibrant virtual world based around the very idea of music. Whoever entered the simulation would find their inner mind brought to life around them in the form of song. The grand opening of my newest invention, Polyphonic Pulse, went better than I could have ever hoped. Once I was sure that it worked, I tested it on myself, hoping to bring out any dormant ideas inside my own mind.

An unfortunate side effect was that it actually "cloned" me. At least, in a vague sense of the word. All of the musical directions I had taken appeared in some way. However, most of them were horrifying and grotesque; hilariously incomplete models of myself. I took them back to my laboratory and placed them in stasis, hoping to preserve them for further study.

One such clone of me, however, came out complete and pristine. Within Polyphonic Pulse, he was active and musical. Outside of the simulation, he was a braindead invalid. However, the music he made was distinct and familiar... exactly the sound that I needed to finish SunShade's work.

Naming this new clone "Midori", I placed him in a stasis pod as well and allowed his body and mind to grow. I watched as he gained consciousness, and finally allowed him to leave the pod once he was ready. He wondered around my lab, examining the various artifacts I placed to jog his memory and remind him of who he used to be. He eventually discovered the Rainware disk that another of my polyphonic clones, Phantom Turnip, had created, but upon uploading it, he became unstable and passed out again.

Despite my best efforts, Midori could not maintain his sentience, and would always revert back to being a lifeless ragdoll within minutes. I toiled over this problem, and even brought Midori back into Polyphonic Pulse to see what was up. But nothing worked. I went back to the Verdant Shade tapes and listened through the demos again, and had an epiphany. The same epiphany that SunShade wanted me to have.

SunShade was an idea, and a sound, and a style. SunShade was never a person, or a musician, or an artist. I am SunShade, and when I lost my way as a musician, SunShade ceased to be. Ideas never truly die, though, and with the completion of his long-awaited Project Midori, SunShade will now truly live on forever as the progressive rock artist he always wanted to be.

So let me ask you one last time... who reigns in memoriam?

SunShade Reigns.

---

See you on March 16th. ;)

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:16 am

Ok please post your album now.

Also, have I ever told you my first "album" (read: collection of 8 shitty songs I recorded with software that's meant for video recording and a microphone plugged straight into my computer) was called Songs of Woe? I really don't think I have, which makes Songs of Lament an interesting coincidence.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry mate, I live in the Central Time Zone. It's not even noon on March 15 for me yet. ;)

I did not know that about Songs of Woe. It's always interesting, at least to me, to look back after you've really made one or two big music projects and see all of the half-baked ideas of the past. I've grown a lot, and I think it's partially to do with learning my limitations. When I was young, I wanted to achieve a million different things because this communist fucking education system says I can. But once I learned what I was capable of and what was out of reach, I learned to use my limitations to my advantage and not be so restricted by them. I think it was an important growth for me.

Songs of Lament was a little EP featuring some vocal songs that had absolutely no genre and was full of whiny bitching, and also had a few instrumentals thrown in there. Basically garbage, all of it. But I'm learning to revisit past ideas and adapt them to what I know how to do now, so maybe some of those will come back? One of its songs, "Supersonic" was a song I had released as SunShade and was up for consideration on SunShade Reigns, but I ended up not using it.

Oh by the way, this album did see tracks cut from the listing. "After", "Supersonic", "Pretension" (a Discomposure track), "Twilit Horizons" (a live improv I did exactly one year ago yesterday) and "SunShade Blues" were all slated for the album, but I decided to not demo them. And after the demos were done, I ended up cutting "Novae Terrae", "Every Now and Again", "Driven To You Now", and "Luminaire" (another Discomposure track). The "Luminaire" demo is a bonus track on the album, because its main riff also features in "A Shade of Dawn" and "Come Rain or Shine", so I felt it necessary to at least include that riff. This was already a big project, but it could have been much, much bigger.

Alec Taylor

Re: SunShade Reigns

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:21 am

Well, here it is. The culmination of every piece of art rock and progressive rock I've ever tried to make since 2013. The very essence of what made the classic SunShade sound my signature sound for three years.

SunShade Reigns is now available for download at Bandcamp. The selling price is $5, and includes bonus tracks "Megalopolis", "Natural Rose", and "Luminaire", as well as an HD 16:9 album cover wallpaper for your computers or laptops.

This was a stressful, mentally exhausting project to work through, and the temptation to blab about it was strong. But I wanted to keep it a secret and slowly build up hype because I was afraid people would dismiss this as some sort of "greatest hits" when these songs were all rewritten and re-recorded from the ground up. I want to make one thing clear, however: this is the one and only SunShade release. Polyphonic Pulse is officially my new debut release, and SunShade Reigns is the sole representative of "SunShade" in my new musical continuity.

I won't ever make anything as "SunShade" again I don't think, as he is no longer with us. However, his style is my style, and every trope, cliche, and sound you hear on SunShade Reigns will continue to exist in future projects without a doubt. But I don't think I'll ever explicitly release music under that name again, although maybe song titles here and there might make reference to it as a sort of callback.

As a whole, I'm also not going to do the whole alter ego/stage name thing any more. If I find a genre that I like that doesn't mesh with what I make, I'll find a way to make it fit. With that said, Phantom Turnip II is going to be the sole representative of that phase in my new continuity before I incorporate those elements into future projects. Now, astute listeners will notice that "Rainware Installation" is now a SunShade track, despite being Phantom Turnip's signature song. I'd bet ol' Turnip isn't happy about that.

But we'll get to that later. I've got a collapsing personal life to attend to, as I put it on the backburner to make this album. I'll be on a musical hiatus for some time, but PT2 isn't due until August anyway. Enjoy!

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:03 pm

SunShade Reigns has broken a few personal records for me. It became my second most popular music release of all time within 24 hours, and as of right now, it's still at second place. It's even gotten halfway to Spectral, which has sort of become the piece that I'm trying to surpass. I'm very grateful for all of that, because this was my biggest project ever and one that meant a lot to me. However, despite the large volume of streams I've gotten, not a single person has told me their thoughts about it. It's so strange. Bandcamp's got a lot of green right now for the album, so the people listening to it are liking it, but I have no idea what peoples' thoughts are! :lol:

Anyway, I'm not really certain of the future of Phantom Turnip II, because everything I try to do for it just seems like it's either a step backward musically or it just exists to get the Phantom Turnip stuff wrapped up and left behind. I might do something other than a music project for that, I'm not sure. But I won't be recording anything for a long time because I'm exhausted.

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:14 pm

I'll be buying and reviewing it mid next week.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:49 pm

No pressure or anything. I just found it odd that, so far, I had a lot of listens but absolutely no commentary from anyone. I'm not even sure who has heard it at this point, it's so strange. :lol:

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 pm

I hang my head in shame as I thought that March 16 was the day you were putting up all the information, not the actual completed album! :oops:

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:09 pm

Artisan wrote:I hang my head in shame as I thought that March 16 was the day you were putting up all the information, not the actual completed album! :oops:
LOL

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:11 pm

So now that it's been a few days, I've taken the time to really sit down and review all of my stats from Bandcamp, and it doesn't look so good right now.

Spectral as been, by and large, my most-streamed album of all time since it's release in April 2015. Within six hours, SunShade Reigns came pretty close to beating that record, which I thought would never happen. I think the hype campaign I ran with all of the teasers and short stories, which people loved, and on top of the audio teasers on Facebook (which people sort of loved), succeeded in bringing in more listeners. On top of that, Polyphonic Pulse was very popular in terms of what people thought of the songs, so I think I had that momentum going on.

Bandcamp uses a green/yellow/red scheme to measure how far a listener got into each track, which is a pretty good indication of how much they were liking it. Never before in my life have I had an album go so drastically red. Out of these record levels of listeners, close to two-thirds didn't make it further than 10% through the album. That's seven minutes. In seven minutes, you get through all of "A New Beginning" and "Discomposure", and partially through the intro of "The Nature of Dreams". Most of the songs in the middle of the album also performed very, very poorly in terms of how long they held peoples' attention.

I'm a bit nervous that I created a lot of hype for a massively unpopular project, and that it's going to really hurt my next projects. I've already had reservations about Phantom Turnip II and how to even create it, and this doesn't help very much. But it does assure me that putting SunShade to rest was the best course of action, as the projects I've done that aren't art rock/progressive rock tend to do a lot better, and they're a lot more enjoyable to make. Making this album was stressful and tedious, so it wasn't very rewarding to see it flop.

Anyway, I just couldn't believe that it did so badly. I've never had a project be so polarizing, and given that it was supposed to be the one true SunShade project, it's a bit discouraging.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:58 pm

I've not had the opportunity to listen yet and I won't until next Sunday (unless miraculously the internet at my other house connects to my computer...) but I promise I'll listen all the way through. Me and double albums have a bad history but I can kick the shit out of my attention span for this. :)