The Notebook v4.0

Talk about anything in here!

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun May 21, 2017 3:51 am

Taxation is theft. I've been saving what money I can for this visit and have my family's support. It's gonna be bloodwork and a psych evaluation, nothing too fancy. However, if they do decide to keep me as an in-patient, that's where it's gonna get tricky. Also in terms of quality, our medical care is actually pretty kick ass. It's the financial side that suffers, but if I have to pay extra to not die as fast, seems like a fair trade off.
Awakening - Probably Never™.
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Dyolf » Sun May 21, 2017 12:17 pm

But what about people who need life saving treatment and can't afford it? Surely your government doesn't just let them die? In the UK we can have private treatment, which you must pay for, but it's usually far too expensive for the average Joe, so everyone uses the "free" NHS. Also, in Wales, medication by a GP is free but it isn't in England where I think each prescription item costs about £6.50. The NHS in Wales has been devolved to the Welsh government, so it's up to them how our NHS money is spent. I'm not sure about Scotland and Northern Ireland though. So I'm sat in my hospital bed, awaiting some blood test results and probably a liver biopsy tomorrow or Tuesday, safe in the knowledge that it won't cost me a penny.
Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws
Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores
Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains
Picture a leader with no fucking brains
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun May 21, 2017 1:33 pm

If you can't afford important treatment, the government pays for it. Back when my family was still sitting below the poverty level, I had a major illness where I was hospitalized after suffering from cardiac arrest. Because we were so poor, all of the medical bills were written off. This idea that poor people are getting fucked is just false, the assistance is there if you know where to look. Also communities are really good at raising money for peoples' treatments as well. I've seen is hundreds of times in my life; someone gets cancer or whatever, they contact some sort of event manager, and the next thing you know, the town has a cookout to raise money and that person's cancer treatments are basically paid for. All from true altruism.

Hell, when it comes to government assistance, I had the chance to make twice as much a month as I do right now just for having a disability, plus I'd get almost half that money in food stamps alone. I could be living a much better life without working a single minute of the day. I choose not to based on the principles of working for what I have that my grandfather taught me when raising me. It's easy to think the government is a huge piece of shit (don't get me wrong, it definitely is), but they help out a lot more than people realize. Whether or not they should help people just depends on how essential you find government to be. At this point I'd rather live in lawless anarchy where I'm my own head-of-state, but that's never going to happen. :lol:

For my medical bills coming up, I bet I could give them my tax returns, show them how poor I am, and have all of them written off. But I have the money right now and it will just be easier to pay it all off then try to weasel my way out of it.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Sun May 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:If you can't afford important treatment, the government pays for it. Back when my family was still sitting below the poverty level, I had a major illness where I was hospitalized after suffering from cardiac arrest. Because we were so poor, all of the medical bills were written off. This idea that poor people are getting fucked is just false, the assistance is there if you know where to look.

The shameful thing though is that no one tells you where to look, least of all the government. I may have posted here before that I had a friend who was going through a rough patch in his life a few months ago and lost track of time while doing homework and forgot to go in to work, and his employer immediately took that to mean he was trying to kill himself and they sent police over who broke down his door and had him arrested and he had to spend the night in a psych ward. All because he was stressed out and forgot to look at the clock. His bills for that were absolutely insane, I don't think he said how much but it was definitely something a college kid whose family was falling apart couldn't afford. Luckily, someone knew of a local organization who could get bills waived if you could prove that it was either too expensive or total BS (or both) and he was able to do that. But if that person hadn't spoken up about it, he could well have been buried in debt on top of all of the other horseshit he was going through.

The government does help out more than people realize, but you have to be the one to initiate it, and nobody tells you that you can do that.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun May 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Oh yeah, I never said that the gov't was going to go out of its way to help anyone and would rather people just not know about the help they can get. They definitely would rather keep that money for themselves and leave us out to dry. But the channels are there, you just have to work for it. It wouldn't even be so bad if medical school didn't cost a ridiculous amount (because it costs a fortune to become a doctor, so it costs a fortune to see one to pay off their debt), and if we were allowed to buy health insurance through other states. To me, it doesn't matter if Iowa or Nebraska have cheaper healthcare because I'm not allowed to buy it as a Missouri citizen.

That's another discussion for another day, but yeah, the main point is that help is available, you just have to jump through hoops to get it and they sure as hell don't want you to know about it.
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Mon May 22, 2017 5:06 pm

Hello friends. Having spoken to the consultant here at the hospital today, it's looking highly likely that I have something called Autoimmune Hepatitis. Basically this means that once my immune system fought off the Hepatitis B virus (from the vaccine) it continued to (and continues to) attack my liver. I'm having a liver biopsy tomorrow to confirm this. If it's the case, chances are I'll be on immune suppressors for the rest of my life to stop my liver from being attacked and on a course of steroids to treat the immediate hepatitis. I have already missed my girlfriend's birthday and my dad's birthday by being here and now I'll spend my own birthday here... happy days. So a simple Hep B vaccine looks to be having a lasting effect on the rest of my life. And that's if I'm lucky. If I'm unlucky, I'll need a liver transplant, for which there is a waiting list.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Artisan » Mon May 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Damn, man, that sucks. Sending all the good will I can muster. Hope it turns out to just have been a misdiagnosis.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue May 23, 2017 2:04 am

That legitimately sucks. Like, having a simple preventative measure turn into a lifelong disaster is the absolute worst. Thoughts are with you, Dyolf.
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Wed May 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I hope all goes well Dyolf. Thoughts and prayers with you...
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed May 31, 2017 2:47 am

What are the chances that TWO members of this forum are having tests run to confirm an autoimmune disorder? Especially within weeks of each other? :(
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:What are the chances that TWO members of this forum are having tests run to confirm an autoimmune disorder? Especially within weeks of each other? :(

Oh no. What's yours for?

I'm out of hospital now, on some pretty strong steroids so my symptoms are slowly ebbing away. Just a waiting game now to see if the condition returns when I finish the steroids or not.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:43 am

Dyolf wrote:
Alec Taylor wrote:What are the chances that TWO members of this forum are having tests run to confirm an autoimmune disorder? Especially within weeks of each other? :(

Oh no. What's yours for?

I'm out of hospital now, on some pretty strong steroids so my symptoms are slowly ebbing away. Just a waiting game now to see if the condition returns when I finish the steroids or not.

The autoimmune screens came back positive for early signs of something, so right now they need to confirm if it was a natural fluke (because false positives happen quite a bit), lupus, cancer, or another autoimmune disorder. Here's to hoping it's just a fluke and not the beginning of some extreme bullshit.
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:25 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:
Dyolf wrote:

Oh no. What's yours for?

The autoimmune screens came back positive for early signs of something, so right now they need to confirm if it was a natural fluke (because false positives happen quite a bit), lupus, cancer, or another autoimmune disorder. Here's to hoping it's just a fluke and not the beginning of some extreme bullshit.

Sorry to hear that. I hope it's nothing too serious.

Mine can now go one of two ways:

1. I finish the treatment of steroids and, hopefully, that will have solved the problem and everything goes back to normal (less likely).
2. I finish the steroids, wait a while and the problem comes back, return to steroids to keep it at bay and then move onto immunosuppressants forever (the most likely).

But it'll be a while before I know which way it'll go.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:45 am

Dyolf wrote:
Alec Taylor wrote:
Dyolf wrote:

Oh no. What's yours for?

But it'll be a while before I know which way it'll go.

Same. Next appointment isn't until the end of June. Originally made it as a four-week follow-up for psychiatric care, but then those positives came in and the situation changed a bit. Just have to wait and see what comes next I guess.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:59 am

I really screwed things up this time.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:38 pm

What happened, Alec?

I'm sorry for being so absent lately, guys. My average workday is about 14 hours these days, and I'm often working in the weekends as well. I miss this forum but right now I just can't afford visiting often.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 am

Medical tests and long waits came back as best case scenario. Immune system is fine, just overpowered and ready to kil anything that enters my body. Lupus and cancer ruled out, and the likely culprit now is osteoarthritis. I started showing symptoms back when I was sixteen but didn't know it yet, but I'll start seeing a rheumatologist in August to start proper medication and learn how to change my lifestyle to fit. Until then, I'm being put on some strong pain meds and will probably have to invest in a cane or some crutches to get around.

It's funny how I should have known this would happen, given that I've been hospitalized in the past for costochondritis and had to walk with a cane for about a year in high school due to a screwed up knee. Both are precursors to what I have now, and I really should have been more aware of things. My condition has cost me my job, so now I'm unemployed with no savings, student loan debt, medical debt, and my normal bills. And we all know how good the job market is around here.
Alec Taylor

Postby quicksilver » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:01 pm

I too have been busy working long hours with virtually no energy other than to sleep. Although I have watched all of Star Trek Enterprise through season 4 and caught up on Dark Matter. I have picked up my guitar and am trying to invent a new tuning.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago
quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Never thought I'd end up unemployed and penniless at 24 years old. This completely sucks.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:27 pm

I hope ebay goes bankrupt. That is all.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Once the background check clears I'll be working as a night guard up in Iowa. Thank fuck.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:22 pm

To all of my fellow countrymen who are celebrating our divorce from Britannia today, stay safe and have fun!
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:08 pm

New job is awesome, feels good to have money and be happy for a change.
Alec Taylor

Postby Alec Taylor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 am

Hoping to get a new car and new phone soon. Car has been a lemon for a while, and my phone was destroyed at work a few nights ago when we had an incident and I had two people try to kill me for my phone and keys to escape.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:34 pm

I finally decided to start a project I'd had in my mind for a few years and actually got around to finishing it - a version of The Wall that I would want to listen to regularly! By cutting much of disc two and a handful of songs from the end of side one, plus a ton of meandering sound effects, I trimmed it down to less than 51 minutes. I still need to listen to it all the way through to determine if the changes I made actually sound good, but the track list looks much better than it did before. It even made songs I didn't really like that much sound better! Here's the tentative track listing - side 1 is completely untouched.

Goodbye Blue Sky - this plays as normal

One Of My Turns (Part 1) - This cuts out the chatter from the girl at the beginning, which doesn't fit when Young Lust is removed. Goodbye Blue Sky stops with the slamming door at the beginning of Turns, and "Day after day..." plays immediately after that. It stops right after "dry as a funeral drum" and goes into...

Empty Spaces - I toyed with the idea of cutting the ambient intro to this one - or at least trimming it down - but I love the song too much to do that. Plus, it would be very difficult to match up. It ends with the first drum beat of Young Lust but kicks back into...

One Of My Turns (Part 2) - the part with drums. No edits to the end of the song.

Don't Leave Me Now - the full song. I couldn't find a good point to edit it, I'd have liked to trim down the first part but it was too difficult. Whatever. The ending is edited, it plays the radio chatter as usual but instead of the scream and breaking glass, it goes into the fourth repetition of...

Is There Anybody Out There? - and from there it plays most of the guitar part twice. The first four measures don't repeat, but the first descent from E down to A is copied and pasted over the "ending" - it sounds seamless, which took me by surprise. Beautiful part, nice counterbalance to the ugly and frankly annoying first part, I wanted to extend it so I did.

Nobody Home - plays as normal, I think. I may have done a tiny bit of editing to the end, otherwise it was to the intro to the next song.

Vera - okay, the melody here was too good to leave out. I cut out most of the radio/war noises at the beginning which took up about half the song; there's a tiny bit of chatter, the cannon blast, and then the actual song. At the end of that, I used the repetition of "is there anybody out there" from Bring The Boys Back Home.

Comfortably Numb - even though I think it's pretty stupid, I can't in all good conscience leave this one off the album. This one is and always was independent from the other tracks, no editing needed.

The Show Must Go On - no editing to the actual song itself, although behind the harmonies at the very end, it builds up with the march from the end of Waiting For The Worms, which goes as usual straight into...

Stop - I know I'm the only person on earth who likes this song, but with much of side four removed, this becomes even more essential to explain the plot. With no actual "show" to go on from the previous song, we see the character tear away from what needs to actually happen. I'm really proud of how this turned out - at the very end of the song, the tapping feet from the beginning of The Trial start up, and by sheer chance it was the same tempo as the very beginning of Waiting For The Worms ("you cannot reach me now"), so I went straight from the mini drum fill into that part. I struggled for a bit with what to do regarding "walk on by", as the kick drum starts on "by". So I took 8 hits of the kick drum, and on the 8th, there was the giant explosion from the end of The Trial, of the wall coming down. And that went as usual into...

Outside The Wall - without The Trial there to make this seem totally anti-climactic, this actually works pretty well as a closer. With the pretty melody of "you cannot reach me now" leading into it, it doesn't feel like such a contrast.

I really wanted to put Goodbye Cruel World in there somewhere, but that song can only work as the end of something - which had to be Outside The Wall to preserve the infinite loop of "isn't this where we came in?" Originally, it came right after Stop, and in time to the rhythm, "you cannot reach me now" kicked off one measure after the final "goodbye", but it just made the whole ending redundant. And I like every song I kept here much more than GCW, so I scrapped it.

I still need to actually listen to the whole thing, but now that it doesn't have Hey You on it, I actually want to. (Hell, my original idea for the "edited" version of the album was literally just to cut Hey You and the first three repetitions of "is there anybody out there", extend the classical guitar part, and leave the rest as-is.) But now that there's 9 or so less filler songs and about 5 hours of sound effects/plane crash noises removed, I can see it as a new piece and I might find myself listening to it a lot more than usual.
Artisan
The Final Cut

PreviousNext

Return to Outside the Wall