The Notebook v4.0

Talk about anything in here!

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Postby Alec Taylor » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:23 am

Yeah well, Reddit is gay and I don't know what a Discord is, so this place will always be my home.
Was it all a dream? - Alarm set for Autumn 2018
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Postby Artisan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 am

What you said is offensive. I will never say another word to you as long as I live.

Oh, how do I get back on the main highway from here? Thanks.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Dyolf » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 pm

I have a LOT of stuff for MusicMagpie.... ugh.
CYMRU AM BYTH

"O’r ynys yma yw Cymraeg, o’r pridd yma.
Iaith hynaf pobl Prydain.
A hardd yw Cymraeg."
- Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien.
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:26 am

Russia took us all for suckers. They published a book in 1997 (Foundations of Geopolitics) explicitly stating that they would find a way to covertly infiltrate the United States to divide the people and pit the world against us by ruining our reputation, and no one believed they would do it. I was one of the millions of Americans tricked by this shit, and I can't help but feel shame, regret, and embarrassment for not realizing who our real enemy was in 2016.

The same book mentions how the United Kingdom should be cut off from the rest of Europe politically (*cough Brexit cough*), how France and Germany should form the core of Europe (as in the European Union?), and how Ukraine must be brought back into Russia (starting with Crimea, apparently). It even mentions providing aid to certain Islamic communities just to spit Turkey (some of which are Russian-backed groups in the Syrian Civil War). A ton of modern-day political conflicts can be traced back to this book from over twenty years ago. Our intelligence community knew about this and were trying to warn us, but our President has continuously tried to block this from us.

I just can't believe that, after all this time, those crazy conspiracies about the Russians wanting to surpass the Soviet Union in global dominance were true. They're like the First Order trying to follow up the Galactic Empire. God Bless Robert Mueller and his team for sticking their necks out for us, but what are we going to do?

It's gotten so bad over here in the States, every single issue immediately becoming "us or them" and being fueled to insane levels by social media and the Internet. Just among my own Facebook friends, I see slander and attacks being directed at the children who were shot down in cold blood in Parkland, Florida. Let me repeat that: THEY ARE ACTIVELY TARNISHING THE LEGACY OF MURDERED CHILDREN. Because it's now about "muh guns" and not about innocent lives being halted by a heartless monster before they had a chance to blossom and grow. You can't even watch a fucking comic book movie like Black Panther without the word "racist" being thrown around for no fucking reason.

My friends, family, and countrymen have devolved into actual retardation, just like Russia wanted us to. I wanted to be cautiously optimistic about the future, knowing full well that the bad would probably outweigh the good anyway. But seeing my family and friends dismiss the survivors of a school shooting as "whiny millennial" who are just "faking their grief for attention", or worse, the whole thing was staged at an attempt to ban guns, or being called a "white supremacist" because I'm of 100% European descent (???), or being called a bigoted backwards Christian for miscellaneous views (when I'm a fucking Hindu, for fuck's sake)... what happened?

Also I'm sorry about this post and I hope it doesn't explode into bullshit, but I just have a lot of negative feelings and I know, know, know if I share them on Facebook or anything I'll be crucified in a heartbeat. Hell, people have gone after my fiance for things I've said, and I don't want that happening again.
Alec Taylor

Postby Artisan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:56 am

For ten years, the world has become a child who has discovered the thrill of flushing its parents' things down the toilet. Except rather than keys and pictures and stuff, it's intellect. I'm not the sharpest stick in the sharpened stick box, not by any means, yesterday I walked under a collapsing warehouse shelf for fuck's sake, but holy fuck, watching people collapse under the weight of their own braindeadness is horrifying.

Since 2016 though there has been a serious shift in "what people think" versus "what people think they think". Back when Trump got elected I - completely unknowingly - jumped on the "BUH DURR HE'S RACIST" bandwagon despite the fact that I have never, ever fucking cared whether anybody was a racist or not. I think all singers of '80s synthpop are unspeakably awful harbingers of dreadfulness, but I'll never stop anybody else from listening to them. Why the fuck should I care if somebody else just hates a different group of people as long as that opinion affects nothing? "BUH DURR HE'S MAKING MEXICO PAY FOR THE WALL" You mean like the wall across the southern border of Mexico that they made Brazil pay for? "BUH DURR THE MUSLIM BAN" You mean the increased security screening from countries that have a high percentage of, um, terrorists?

It has to be in the air. I deliberately avoided any and all news when I realized that all the candidates sucked ass. And yet I still ended up suckered into this fucking retarded New York liberalism WITHOUT REALIZING IT. I genuinely didn't realize that I was spouting off "he's a racist holy fuck" until Alec told me I was. That's TERRIFYING to me. And for the record I still think that a one-legged clown who sucks his own asshole daily would still be a better president than Trump, but after doing some research on the few surviving non-biased fact things (I hesitate to call it "news" because I associate that word with "the reporter's opinion") and realizing that the only thing we had to worry about, would be another country attacking us over his fucking Twitter (even if you support the man you have to admit that he needs some restraint on Twitter).

My sister now refuses to talk to her own father because of a joke that wasn't anti-Trump enough.

I have so much "no words" for that, I actually need to do two line breaks and restate that goddamn statement.

My sister - who never cared about politics and never understood why people get bent out of shape over this kind of bullshit - now refuses to talk to her own father because he made a political joke that wasn't harsh enough against Trump and didn't support the radical liberal agenda that she somehow ended up subscribing to. THIS FUCKING TERRIFIES ME. We as a people have become so hive-minded that rationality can vanish without anybody noticing.

The real danger isn't Trump or other countries. You're right - Russia has to do nothing. We're killing each other. Not so much physically, the only people doing that are the fucked up shooters who probably couldn't care any less about politics (which means it's either Beelzetrump or Crooked Hillary's fault, depending on who you ask. But mentally, spiritually, psychologically, we're all fucking slaughtering each other. Who knew that all you had to do to tear apart lifelong beliefs, relationships, and sanity was just make a big orange dude sit in a specific chair?
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Dyolf » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:11 am

Alec Taylor wrote:when I'm a fucking Hindu, for fuck's sake

You're a white, European-descended Hindu?
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:32 am

Dyolf wrote:
Alec Taylor wrote:when I'm a fucking Hindu, for fuck's sake

You're a white, European-descended Hindu?

A follower of Hinduism is referred to as a Hindu, although the actual name of the religion is Sanatana Dharma. I've been practicing for well over ten years now, although for a couple of years I had let my faith slip.

I am aware that Hindu also has ethnic and racial uses, but it also applies in a religious sense. Hence me being a white European Hindu.

Also so no one thinks I completely ignored Artisan's reply, I responded privately so it wouldn't flood the Notebook.
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:44 pm

I'm off to Alton Towers this weekend. I got tickets for £18 each instead of the usual full-price of £55 each - bargain! I love Alton Towers and it has a new rollercoaster this year, but I don't know if it will be open when I visit. I have no idea if Alton Towers is known of outside of the UK, but it has to be our most popular theme park, it's had quite a few "world firsts".
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 am

Gosh, I haven't been to a theme park in a long, long time. Probably because I'm terrified of roller coasters and most other attractions! LOL
Alec Taylor

Postby Floydy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 am

Been to Alton Towers twice way back in 1999/2000. Awesome place lol.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Dyolf » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:34 pm

Floydy wrote:Been to Alton Towers twice way back in 1999/2000. Awesome place lol.

You've been to the UK? Huh... I never knew that.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Floydy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:05 am

Dyolf wrote:
Floydy wrote:Been to Alton Towers twice way back in 1999/2000. Awesome place lol.

Lived there between 1996 and 2006, mostly in Exeter Devon. Been to Wales once and spent the day in Swansea.
Floydy
Meddle

Postby Dyolf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:19 am

Floydy wrote:
Dyolf wrote:

Been to Wales once and spent the day in Swansea.

Poor you :lol:

Is it just me or is the quality of merch on the Pink Floyd store falling? I had an email advertising this
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Dyolf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:28 am

RIP Claudia Fontaine. She provided backing vocals on the Division Bell tour and on David's acoustic shows in 2001/02. Sad news.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Artisan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:25 pm

I knew her from Every Day I Write The Book by Elvis Costello, didn't realize she sang with Floyd. (Also didn't realize she was on Beat Surrender!) This has been a rough week.
Artisan
The Final Cut

Postby Alec Taylor » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:42 am

Well Stephen Hawking is gone now too. There goes the man who showed that black holes aren't just infinite cosmic vacuums, but tangible objects that wither away and disappear just like everything else. Also helped to discover "virtual particles", which were a game changer in quantum mechanics. As morbid and/or inappropriate as this may sound, I've been fighting with myself in the 16 months since I graduated college about whether I should go back and finish my physics degree online. Maybe this might get me inspired to go back and reclaim my true potential.
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:08 am

Alec Taylor wrote:Well Stephen Hawking is gone now too. There goes the man who showed that black holes aren't just infinite cosmic vacuums, but tangible objects that wither away and disappear just like everything else. Also helped to discover "virtual particles", which were a game changer in quantum mechanics. As morbid and/or inappropriate as this may sound, I've been fighting with myself in the 16 months since I graduated college about whether I should go back and finish my physics degree online. Maybe this might get me inspired to go back and reclaim my true potential.

I heard that he appears on two Pink Floyd tracks....

EDIT: Hold the fucking phone! It seems that Stephen Hawking actually got on-stage with Anathema to do a cover of "Keep Talking"! :shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvGthJqSDSI. I didn't even know that Hawking was aware that his voice was used for a Pink Floyd song....
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:51 am

Dyolf wrote:
Alec Taylor wrote:Well Stephen Hawking is gone now too. There goes the man who showed that black holes aren't just infinite cosmic vacuums, but tangible objects that wither away and disappear just like everything else. Also helped to discover "virtual particles", which were a game changer in quantum mechanics. As morbid and/or inappropriate as this may sound, I've been fighting with myself in the 16 months since I graduated college about whether I should go back and finish my physics degree online. Maybe this might get me inspired to go back and reclaim my true potential.

I heard that he appears on two Pink Floyd tracks....

EDIT: Hold the fucking phone! It seems that Stephen Hawking actually got on-stage with Anathema to do a cover of "Keep Talking"! :shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvGthJqSDSI. I didn't even know that Hawking was aware that his voice was used for a Pink Floyd song....

Sick! If his appearances on shows like The Big Bang Theory are any indication, he seemed pretty in tune with popular culture and had a sort of self-awareness about his celebrity status.

I've also found that he was a bit of a mischievous ass, which amuses me to no end. I guess he had a habit of running over peoples' toes just because he thought it was funny. :lol:
Alec Taylor

Postby Dyolf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:37 pm

So who's getting the Pulse vinyl re-issue? I must say that I'm more interested in the hardback photo book that comes with it.
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:04 pm

I know that the little booklet that comes with the CD has some pictures in it from the tour. I wonder how much overlap there is between the two.
Alec Taylor

Postby The Silver Lining » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:00 am

I don't like live albums in general, and I especially don't like Pulse and DSoT.

But it's new Pink Floyd stuff...
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Dyolf » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:18 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:I don't like live albums in general, and I especially don't like Pulse and DSoT.

Why?
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby The Silver Lining » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:18 am

I think I just really get used the song orders and cohesion that you get on albums. When they play the songs in a different order in live albums, I'm constantly annoyed by hearing things I don't expect to hear. :D

The reason why I don't like Pulse and DSoT is because the original songs are fairly weak when played live (with some exceptions, such as Sorrow), and the classic songs are much weaker than when they were played 10-20 years earlier (with no exceptions, really). For me, those albums are very underwhelming when you consider how great Pink Floyd's live reputation actually was.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.
The Silver Lining
Animals

Postby Dyolf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Pasg hapus i chi i gyd!
Happy Easter to you all!
CYMRU AM BYTH

A hardd yw Cymraeg."
Dyolf
Animals

Postby Alec Taylor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:22 am

The Silver Lining wrote:I think I just really get used the song orders and cohesion that you get on albums. When they play the songs in a different order in live albums, I'm constantly annoyed by hearing things I don't expect to hear. :D

This is sort of why I enjoy the live albums that Genesis put out. During their 1980s stadium rock concerts, they would always toss in a medley of their old prog-rock tracks. Even though the people who would actually recognize those tracks (like me) would much rather hear them in full rather than as a part of some mash-up, it is really cool to see all the different ways they found to change up the selection of songs and still create a good flow. In terms of older medleys, I do like when they played "it." and had it transition smoothly into the ending segment of "Watcher of the Skies". I mean, the two songs make no sense together in any way, but they flow together perfectly and makes for a rather dramatic ending to "it.".
Alec Taylor

PreviousNext

Return to Outside the Wall