The Notebook v4.0

Talk about anything in here!
User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 pm

Dyolf wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:14 pm
TIL that, apparently, Americans find the way Brits tell the time confusing. Specifically, I'm talking about phrases like "half six". I had never, ever thought that this could be ambiguous because these expressions are so ubiquitous in the UK. Apparently, to Americans "half six" instinctively means 5:30.... which fries my brain.... why would you hear "six" and think "five"?! "Half six" obviously means 6:30! We're just lazy and leave out the word "past" - "half (past) six".
I've never heard the phrase before, but that makes perfect sense to me.
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts: 2310
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Artisan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Half six clearly means three.

User avatar
Dyolf
Animals
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Cymru (Wales)

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Dyolf » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Artisan wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:06 pm
Half six clearly means three.
;)
Pencampwriaeth y Chwe Gwlad 2020 The Six Nations Championship 2020

Wales v Italy
Ireland v Wales
Wales v France
England v Wales
Wales v Scotland

User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location: Kessel-Lo
Contact:

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by The Silver Lining » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:17 pm

Dyolf wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:14 pm
TIL that, apparently, Americans find the way Brits tell the time confusing. Specifically, I'm talking about phrases like "half six". I had never, ever thought that this could be ambiguous because these expressions are so ubiquitous in the UK. Apparently, to Americans "half six" instinctively means 5:30.... which fries my brain.... why would you hear "six" and think "five"?! "Half six" obviously means 6:30! We're just lazy and leave out the word "past" - "half (past) six".
I find your point of view really interesting. In Dutch, "half zes" (which literally translates to "half six") is the one and only way to say 5:30. The same logic is used in German and Polish.

French, on the other hand, follows the "half past five" logic (5 heures et demi).When I hear an Englishman saying "half six", my immediate assumption will be that he means 5:30. Then again, this isn't even wrong if you take our time zone difference into account. :D
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

User avatar
Dyolf
Animals
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Cymru (Wales)

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Dyolf » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:56 pm

The Silver Lining wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:17 pm
When I hear an Englishman saying "half six", my immediate assumption will be that he means 5:30. Then again, this isn't even wrong if you take our time zone difference into account. :D
:D

Welsh follows the English too: hanner awr wedi chwech is literally "half (an) hour past/after six".
Pencampwriaeth y Chwe Gwlad 2020 The Six Nations Championship 2020

Wales v Italy
Ireland v Wales
Wales v France
England v Wales
Wales v Scotland

User avatar
Dyolf
Animals
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Cymru (Wales)

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Dyolf » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:01 pm

So this eBay auction is going better than I had hoped.
Pencampwriaeth y Chwe Gwlad 2020 The Six Nations Championship 2020

Wales v Italy
Ireland v Wales
Wales v France
England v Wales
Wales v Scotland

User avatar
Dyolf
Animals
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Cymru (Wales)

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Dyolf » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Diwrnod da i fod yn Gymro yw heddiw! Today is a good day to be Welsh!
Pencampwriaeth y Chwe Gwlad 2020 The Six Nations Championship 2020

Wales v Italy
Ireland v Wales
Wales v France
England v Wales
Wales v Scotland

User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:32 pm

its not a good day to be midwestern, all of our shit is getting flooded to high heaven. largest flood event since '93, so fortunate to not live along those floodplains any more.
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location: Kessel-Lo
Contact:

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by The Silver Lining » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:41 am

I just wanted to share that, after all these years, listening to Pink Floyd's Live 8 performance still leaves me absolutely speechless.

Crazy to think it has been 14 years since then.
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Alec Taylor » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:55 pm

Where all you bitches at?
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts: 2310
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Artisan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Not New York anymore!

User avatar
The Silver Lining
Animals
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 am
Location: Kessel-Lo
Contact:

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:57 am

Woah, what happened? Everyone wants to live in New York!

Still Kessel-Lo here.
Image
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts: 2310
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Artisan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:52 pm

Don't you remember my anti-New York rants? I spent my formative years there and it probably explains why I'm a miserable ball of pessimism constantly toeing the line of full-on misanthropy. So I got the hell out and I'm very happy about that! It's been over 100 degrees for most of the past month, but that's better than having to seriously consider that it might snow (as it did on April 27th in NY).

User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:31 pm

I miss everyone here. I miss the magic of hearing so much Pink Floyd for the first time, and sharing all of those memories with all of you. I know a lot of PFO and here had been Floyd fans for a long time, but I hadn't gotten on board until Summer '12. Even now, I still find new things in old favorites like The Division Bell and other pieces I didn't give a fair shake all those years ago like The Final Cut.

Even as I find new bands that I love (seriously guys, Porcupine Tree is a Floyd-tier band for sure), there has yet to be a band that captures my ideal musical mindset the way that Pink Floyd has been able to do.
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

User avatar
Dyolf
Animals
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Cymru (Wales)

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Dyolf » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:05 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:31 pm
I miss everyone here. I miss the magic of hearing so much Pink Floyd for the first time, and sharing all of those memories with all of you. I know a lot of PFO and here had been Floyd fans for a long time, but I hadn't gotten on board until Summer '12. Even now, I still find new things in old favorites like The Division Bell and other pieces I didn't give a fair shake all those years ago like The Final Cut.

Even as I find new bands that I love (seriously guys, Porcupine Tree is a Floyd-tier band for sure), there has yet to be a band that captures my ideal musical mindset the way that Pink Floyd has been able to do.
Well there's a new boxset coming, with some more first-time Floyd listening to come.
Pencampwriaeth y Chwe Gwlad 2020 The Six Nations Championship 2020

Wales v Italy
Ireland v Wales
Wales v France
England v Wales
Wales v Scotland

User avatar
Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Alec Taylor » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Getting married in five hours... see you all on the other side
"And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?"

User avatar
Artisan
The Final Cut
Posts: 2310
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Artisan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:24 pm

Congratulations man!

User avatar
Dyolf
Animals
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Cymru (Wales)

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Dyolf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:12 am

Alec Taylor wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:00 pm
Getting married in five hours... see you all on the other side
Congrats!
Pencampwriaeth y Chwe Gwlad 2020 The Six Nations Championship 2020

Wales v Italy
Ireland v Wales
Wales v France
England v Wales
Wales v Scotland

Post Reply