The Notebook v4.0

Talk about anything in here!
Artisan
The Final Cut

Re: The Notebook v4.0

Post by Artisan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:03 am

Have come to the following conclusions after listening to my condensed version of The Wall:

As much as I did not expect to be saying this, this album does not work at a faster pace. With the filler songs removed, the album feels disjointed. Even though I despise a good portion of disc two, I actually found my edited version much more haphazard and difficult to enjoy. The second half of the album felt totally empty, and surprisingly that was worse than it feeling clumsy and mostly terrible. I certainly don't get much enjoyment out of listening to Run Like Hell, but without it, it just feels like something's missing.

A good thing to know for doing my own production and editing - just because it sounds like a good transition when listening from the end of the song doesn't mean it will sound like a good transition when you play the entire song. Case in point: Goodbye Blue Sky into One Of My Turns was rough. Also my attempt to split it with Empty Spaces in the middle really didn't work; Empty Spaces would have had to be shortened or One Of My Turns would have had to be extended. The transition from The Show Must Go On into Waiting For The Worms also didn't work; I'm beginning to think that the "You cannot reach me now" bit would have been perfect following Comfortably Numb if timed right. But where would I have gone from there? I don't know.

I learned that some neat ideas don't exactly make a satisfying product. Even though I haven't listened to the album in full (excluding Hey You) since February of 2015, listening to my own remake of it didn't change my opinion the way I expected it would. On the other hand, I think I "get" the album in a way I didn't before; then again, I said the same thing after I watched the movie, but it didn't take long after that before I didn't want to listen to the album again and my opinion sunk even lower.

The one thing that worked better than I expected was the extended version of Is There Anybody Out There. At one point I thought I heard the edit, but it was actually part of the song proper! The edit sounds completely seamless and I'm very happy that it turned out so well. I'm going through and revising my music library on my only good computer right now; when I get to The Wall, I'm going to dump Hey You, find out how to cut down the intro to Is There Anybody Out There, and extend the classical part, because that was certainly an improvement.

My opinions of some of the individual songs changed, as well. I still feel that side one works well as a collective whole, but with distance, I'm not sure even In The Flesh, always my favorite, stands on its own. It's a great riff, but it's too lumbering and it doesn't really go anywhere; it's definitely an "intro" song rather than an actual song. One Of My Turns I also feel is a bit more stilted and thin than I remembered, and the girl at the beginning kind of slows it down as well. I still think it's a great song, but I'm starting to think that overall Empty Spaces might be my favorite song on the album, or possibly Nobody Home. And Comfortably Numb really got me going, more than I ever remember it doing; it's still kind of stupid that their most famous song is about a Nazi getting doped up to incite a skinhead riot, but I'll be damned if it didn't grab me. Hell, maybe that's my favorite song now. It really is amazing how opinions change over the years. On the other hand, I found Don't Leave Me Now much, much more boring than I remembered it. When it picks up steam and has those pretty harmonies near the end is what I think I was remembering about it, but that part is too short and it takes too long to get to it. I wish it was more balanced. Oh well.

On the other hand, even though the full song is pretty prominent in my list of the band's ten worst songs, I'm beginning to think that the intro to Waiting For The Worms is my favorite part of the entire album. If that had somehow been combined with The Show Must Go On, it would without a doubt be my favorite. The Show Must Go On is great but it feels way too short in that it seems like there's too few ideas strung out to make a song. If it had started with the power of the Waiting For The Worms intro and segued into a tighter version of The Show Must Go On, I would probably stick that in my top ten from the band. The part of Worms that follows the intro, "sitting in a bunker", I actually enjoyed a lot more than I remember too. It was sorely missing when I played my edited version. A hybrid of those two would be a dream come true, really a saving grace for disc two.

It's good to know that bits and pieces of good stuff do not make a complete product. Even though I really do like everything in the condensed version (except Outside The Wall, but it was the only real way to close it out), the complete album still ends up being better because it's more realized and the ideas - good and bad - all have the space to breathe. My version felt like a handful of neat ideas jammed together amateurishly - very accurate, but that wasn't what I was trying to evoke. If I'm going to have this album, it's nice to know that I'd rather have the whole thing. Except Hey You. That song still blows. Always and forever.

I just can't win with this album. By cutting out the tedious filler crap, I actually enjoyed the album less. :roll:

Alec Taylor
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 am

This whole situation reminds me of the time I made a mash-up of "Something" by The Beatles and "Layla" by Derek & the Dominos. I figured since both songs were about Pattie Boyd, maybe they would work together. I just cut off the piano coda to "Layla", pitch-corrected it back down to C, and stuck it on the end of the Love remix of "Something" (before that weird "Blue Jay Way"/"Nowhere Man" shit comes in). Sounded neat in theory, but "something" about it (ha!) just didn't quite work out. Still can't put my finger on it today.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Floydy
Meddle

Post by Floydy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:30 am

FB_IMG_1504232797304.jpg
FB_IMG_1504232797304.jpg (105.05 KiB) Viewed 3630 times

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:02 am

:lol:

Thank you for that, I needed it.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:06 am

:lol:
Y Chwe Gwlad 2019 The Six Nations 2019

Ffrainc France 19 – 24 Cymru Wales
Yr Eidal Italy 15 – 26 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 21 – 13 Lloegr England
Yr Alban Scotland 11 – 18 Cymru Wales
Cymru Wales 25 – 7 Iwerddon Ireland

:mrgreen:

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Spent my whole life thinking I was English, Irish, German, and Native American in descent, but the bloodwork shows that I'm actually almost a completely pure-blooded Viking. Tracked down my lineage (using my degree, since I'm not using it for anything else these days except facial tissues) as far back as 750 BC (from a diaspora standpoint). So now I'm not milky white because I'm almost entirely of British descent, I'm milky white because I'm almost entirely of Western Norwegian descent.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:Spent my whole life thinking I was English, Irish, German, and Native American in descent, but the bloodwork shows that I'm actually almost a completely pure-blooded Viking. Tracked down my lineage (using my degree, since I'm not using it for anything else these days except facial tissues) as far back as 750 BC (from a diaspora standpoint). So now I'm not milky white because I'm almost entirely of British descent, I'm milky white because I'm almost entirely of Western Norwegian descent.
Interesting. I wonder how that happened. Seeing as a lot of Americans are of British/Irish decent (and European). As far as I'm aware Scandinavians aren't well known for travelling to the Americas. Even when the Vikings arrived in Britain they left behind very little DNA - the same goes for the Romans. Most British people can trace their heritage to Caucasia via other European settlers. I, for instance, am almost 100% Celtic (which makes me incredibly happy)... I'm actually something like 0.2% "Northern European of unclear origin" and 0.1% Wider European of unclear origin. Being Welsh, with most of my ancestors hailing from the west-coast of Wales I share a lot of DNA with modern-day Irish (as we all descended from the British Celts - the Britons) who all spoke a language called "Proto-Celtic" which evolved into "Goidelic" in Ireland and "Brythonic" in Britain. Brythonic became Welsh, Cornish and Breton making people from South Wales the true natives of the UK. We're like the Native Americans of Britain! :lol: Even though my grandfather is English (born in Portsmouth) he is actually of Welsh decent. It's also worth looking into your surname and 1) what it means 2) when it was adopted - it can point you to people in your family tree.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:51 pm

That's the craziest part. We traced our ancestors with physical records back to the British Isles, hence why we just assumed we were from there. But through some weird genetic magic, our DNA managed to stay almost purely Scandinavian since the days when Yorkshire was known as the Kingdom of Jorvik (spelling?). Our family last name was one we had no origin for and no meaning, but now that we know we're actually Norse, it comes from lundr which can mean "grove" or "sacred grove" from what I can find.

Of course, this is the maternal aspect of it since my last name is Taylor. But then again, I don't think our last name was Taylor when that side of the family came here in the first place, I think it was changed as a way to escape the law at some point. A few of my ancestors supposedly rode with Jesse James, but we haven't been able to confirm that.
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:27 am

The Vikings were known for doing whatever they want... surely some of them wanted to come over here at some point!

That's very cool but I must say not altogether unsurprising. You do have the determination and commitment to your craft of a battle god! :D

Meanwhile, I meant to load a stack of about 50 CDs to my dad's computer two weeks ago and they're still sitting in the corner...

I believe I'm partially Welsh and German, but I don't know for certain. I do know that wherever I come from must not be known for exotic foods because I innately gravitate to simple meals like buttered bread, water, and plain noodles. I feel like an outcast in my own country, the land of buttered lard in solidified gravy bowls (for an appetizer!).

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:29 am

I do believe (if memory serves me right) that the main race known as the "Vikings" were likely all gone around 1,000 years before any of my ancestors came over here. It's just an absolute mindfuck that somehow, someway, those Norsemen that were my ancestors were able to keep our blood pure.

Well, given how blood was "kept pure" in the olden days, I'm quite content to not look back any further. :lol:
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:51 pm

I think the Vikings made it to the Americas before Columbus did.
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:37 pm

Alec Taylor wrote:I do believe (if memory serves me right) that the main race known as the "Vikings" were likely all gone around 1,000 years before any of my ancestors came over here. It's just an absolute mindfuck that somehow, someway, those Norsemen that were my ancestors were able to keep our blood pure.

Well, given how blood was "kept pure" in the olden days, I'm quite content to not look back any further. :lol:
Indeed, the Vikings did settle Britain, but they didn't really "breed" with the natives. Which is why British DNA is all over the place. Modern-day York was "founded" as the Roman city of Eboracum and later Anglo-Saxon Eoforwic (cognate with modern Welsh Efrog) and later Jórvik by the Vikings which became corrupted to York and is, of course, the namesake of New York (though York is much, much smaller). Although it's claimed that the Romans founded York - their name Eboracum is a Latin-ised version of the Celtic name Iburakon (place of yew-trees). The Celtic name Iburakon and the Welsh name Efrog are clearly closely related: Iburakon > Ivuragon > Ivurag > Ivrag > Evrog (Efrog).
quicksilver wrote:I think the Vikings made it to the Americas before Columbus did.
So did a Welsh king, namely Madog (or Madoc) in 1170. http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Hi ... sh-Prince/

* The word "Prince" is used here in its historical sense. Wales had "princes" rather than "kings", which were the same thing back then.

Floydy
Meddle

Post by Floydy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:59 am

20170912_175603.jpg
20170912_175603.jpg (41.97 KiB) Viewed 3575 times

quicksilver
Wish You Were Here

Post by quicksilver » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:25 pm

Floydy wrote:
20170912_175603.jpg
:D :D with 5 different settings!
Thank you PFO
Joined January 2004
Retired October 22, 2014- 1378 posts

Pink Floyd Sept 30, 1987 Milwaukee Cty Stadium
Roger Waters Nov 13, 1987 Milwaukee (Mecca)
Pink Floyd July 3, 1994 Madison
Pink Floyd July 12, 1994 Chicago

Floydy
Meddle

Post by Floydy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:59 pm

quicksilver wrote:
Floydy wrote:
20170912_175603.jpg
:D :D with 5 different settings!
And a heat function. Too bad it doesn't recline lol.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:53 am

RIP Tom Petty
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:28 pm

Yeah, that was a real kick in the guts. Like him or not, he was just one of those guys that seemed like he'd be around forever. The guy who introduced the concept of standing up to the music industry. Too bad not many people followed that blazed trail or musicians might be a little bit happier.

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:26 am

RIP Fats Domino
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:18 pm

RIP apparently everyone these years. :(

Gotta face it. We all love artists who were born 50 to 80 years ago. They are disappearing one at a time.
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:00 am

That's why I only listen to music from the future, maaan. I'll be long dead before their music even comes out. #hispter

The Silver Lining
Animals

Post by The Silver Lining » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Can't go wrong with Lee White either. That dude is alive and kickin'!
Wonderlust - Not so soon™.

Artisan
The Final Cut

Post by Artisan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:35 pm

Yeah, but his album is so quiet! How am I supposed to listen to something when every instrument isn't turned up to 11? What, am I supposed to touch the VOLUME KNOB??? Are you kidding me??? This is 2017, the world should be spoon-fed to me for I am a person and therefore the most important thing in the universe.

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:43 am

Halloween!

It seems like modern-day Halloween is just a mixing pot of traditions from different cultures all thrown into one night. The basis of Halloween, however, lies in Britain, specifically the ancient Britons/Celts.

31st October is known in the Welsh language as Noson Galan Gaeaf, the night of the first day of winter; 1st November is known as Calan Gaeaf, the first day of winter. Similar names and traditions exist in Ireland, Scotland, Brittany and parts of western England - the Celtic areas. The tradition of carving faces into pumpkins began as a way for the Celts to ward off evil spirits on Halloween night, as on 1st November they would invite spirits into their homes for the winter, where hopefully the evil ones will have fled leaving behind the benevolent spirits to enter the homes. This is also part of the Christmas tree tradition where people brought in a tree for the winter period. For some reason the tradition of carving faces into root vegetables survived and was exported to America, where pumpkins were used in place of swedes (pumpkins are not native to the British Isles). Carved swedes were also placed near stiles and crossroads as these were places where spirits were believed to gather.

Noson Galan Gaeaf also has some horror-story type tales associated with it which have not really expanded far outside of Wales (maybe Ireland). On the night (Halloween) women and children would dance around a large fire until it began to die out, upon which the children would run home before being caught by Yr Hwch Ddu Gwta an evil, tailless, black pig/sow which would devour their souls. This is thought to have been a story perpetuated by parents to ensure their children returned home safely. There is a short rhyme which goes "Adref, adref, am y cyntaf', Hwch ddu gwta a gipio'r ola'." (Home, home, at once, the tailless black sow shall snatch the last one.)

Other traditions around Noson Galan Gaeaf:
  • Coelcerth: Families build a fire and place stones with their names on it. The person whose stone is missing the next morning would die within the year.
  • Eiddiorwg Dalen: A few leaves of ground ivy is thought to give you the power to see hags. For prophetic dreams a boy should cut ten ivy leaves, throw away one and put the rest under his head before he sleeps. A girl should take a wild rose grown into a hoop, creep through it three times, cut it in silence, and go to bed with it under her pillow.
  • Teiliwyr: In Glamorgan tailors were associated with witchcraft. They supposedly possessed the power to ‘bewitch’ anybody if they wished.
  • Yr Hwch Ddu Gwta: Legend has it that a fearsome spirit called Yr Hwch Ddu Gwta took the form of a tail-less black sow and roamed the countryside with a headless woman – children would rush home early.
Calan Gaeaf is known as Kalan Gwav in Cornwall (southwestern England) and Kalan Goañv in Brittany (northwestern France).

Alec Taylor

Post by Alec Taylor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:32 am

The tradition of Coelcerth sounds like it was ripe for abuse. I wonder how many people had their stones taken in the middle of the night by some mischievous prankster only to end up dying that year anyway by pure happenstance?
10.22.14 - 4.8.19 (2704)

Dyolf
Animals

Post by Dyolf » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:34 am

Alec Taylor wrote:The tradition of Coelcerth sounds like it was ripe for abuse. I wonder how many people had their stones taken in the middle of the night by some mischievous prankster only to end up dying that year anyway by pure happenstance?
To be honest, the tradition I heard more of was the stone which is scorched/marked by the fire is the person who will die. I think that should have said "the person whose name is gone", not their stone.